AI serarch? - No Thanks!

It seems like product owners and developers are not understanding the needs of their customers. Evernote is used for both personal and professional purposes, and many users have important and sensitive data stored in their Notebooks.

Despite this, Evernote seems to think it's acceptable to share this data with third parties. This decision is not well-thought-out, and it's disappointing that Evernote is not taking the privacy and security of its users seriously.

As someone who has been using Evernote for over a decade, I am deeply disappointed with this move. It's time for Evernote to take a long, hard look at its priorities and make sure that it is putting the needs and safety of its users first.

bad idea.png

• Evernote Expert

If you don't want your data shared then don't opt in to the AI Powered Search.

The UI changes are under review after the response to this beta release. I understand the Standard Search is to be reviewed with the next release.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Please check your facts before posting.  AI search is an opt-IN feature.  If you prefer not to use it,  don't.  And the data supplied to a third party system to complete the search is not retained for any purpose and is purged within 30 days.  There is a possibility that third party staff might see the content if there is some issue with the results but the answer is: don't supply anything you are concerned about.  Simples.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Please check your facts before posting.  AI search is an opt-IN feature.  If you prefer not to use it,  don't.  And the data supplied to a third party system to complete the search is not retained for any purpose and is purged within 30 days.  There is a possibility that third party staff might see the content if there is some issue with the results but the answer is: don't supply anything you are concerned about.  Simples.

facts were checked, hence my post, I recommend you review my screenshot.

and this --> " And the data supplied to a third party system to complete the search is not retained for any purpose and is purged within 30 days.  "

is absolute rubbish, anyone who believes this needs to have a good look in the mirror along with the product owners and developers

your naivety is quite frankly, embarrassing.  

• Evernote Expert
14 minutes ago, peachescadge said:

anyone who believes this needs to have a good look in the mirror along with the product owners and developers

your naivety is quite frankly, embarrassing.  

You obviously know more than others but your rudeness and personal attack is uncalled for.

• Like 1

I understand your concern. If necessary, the post can be deleted. It is important to note that sharing sensitive personal data with third-party AI can have severe negative consequences. Therefore, I personally highly recommend against it. Just take a look at companies like LastPass and the plethora of others whose customer data is now available for purchase on the dark web. The term "third-party AI" should ring alarms for people since there is no guarantee of their security standards. Most likely, they are outsourced, so it's not a matter of if a data breach will happen, but when.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

The UI changes are under review after the response to this beta release.

I really hope they consider showing us the list of notes that will be sent to the 3rd party before they are sent.  Make it a two step process or an option to make it two steps.  I think this could be a useful feature but not knowing which notes will be sent over ahead of time makes me very hesitant to use it. I believe they will get better buy in from the security conscious crowd if they offer this note review step.  

When I tested it, I tried what I thought was a fairly benign search request only to see that a couple of medical notes were included in the large group of notes that were sent over to the 3rd party process.  A review step to see which notes are planning to be sent, and maybe even an option to deselect some notes first, could help this feature gain greater acceptance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Just a reminder - the use of any AI service is entirely optional,  and if you have any concerns about what data may be submitted,  or the overall security of the system,  all you need do is decide not to use it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Just a reminder - the use of any AI service is entirely optional,  and if you have any concerns about what data may be submitted,  or the overall security of the system,  all you need do is decide not to use it.

Yes it is, but you missed my point.  I think this feature could be useful but as currently implemented I will be avoiding it.  If they add a review step as suggested, I and I think others will be more willing to use it.  My comment is a suggestion to help them gain greater adoption of the new feature.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, peachescadge said:

and this --> " And the data supplied to a third party system to complete the search is not retained for any purpose and is purged within 30 days.  "

is absolute rubbish, anyone who believes this needs to have a good look in the mirror along with the product owners and developers

and this ... is absolute paranoia, without any foundation in fact. Believe it or don't, but don't tell other people to look in the mirror.

• Like 3