Have Evernote Icon in taskbar open Evernote instead of Quick Note by default

Hads

Idea

I've put this feature request in a couple times over the past couple years.  At one time, when you clicked on the Evernote icon in the taskbar on the right, it would open Evernote.  When Evernote introduced Quick Note they changed the default to clicking the icon creating a Quick Note.  In order to open Evernote now, we have to right-click the icon, then select Open Evernote.

Many people agreed with me.  I rarely use quick notes and always want to open Evernote directly to do my work.  I find the right-click to just be an extra step.  I'd like to find out how many Windows users prefer the icon to Open Evernote vs. creating a Quick Note.

Thank you.

• Like 2

12 replies to this idea

I personally don't care for the Evernote system tray icon at all on Windows (or the corresponding menu bar icon on Mac)

On Windows, I have a pinned Evernote icon in the task bar that I click to open Evernote. I also sometimes like to launch Evernote with the Windows search and/or Power Toys so my hands don't leave the keyboard. The system tray icon doesn't do anything for me. So I pick option #3... neither. 😃 

Pinning Evernote to the taskbar is fine, but every time you close Evernote and click the Evernote icon in the taskbar, it takes a few seconds to launch and open the Evernote program.  This doesn't happen in the system tray.

I agree that in the system tray, closing the app leaves the background process running.  But if you pin the app to the taskbar, it's just a convenient way to launch the app, so when you close it, it doesn't leave the background process running.  Only way to leave it running is to minimize the app if you have it pinned instead of using the system tray.

• Level 5*

I use the taskbar method and never shut Evernote down anyway.  It gets lost behind other windows or minimised from time to time,  but the app is an integral part of my routine.

While you are free to use it as you wish,  wanting to change the way it works when there are viable alternatives seems academic.  I doubt this is something that Evernote would even consider,  but your request is raised;  let's see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  However, since Evernote makes the option to start Evernote to the System icon tray, I am still requesting that the feature be changed to open Evernote instead of a quick note.  I've been using Evernote for Windows since 2010 and it was always that way before the Quick Note feature was added.  My question was for those who use it in the system tray, how many really use quick note instead of launching evernote with one click from the system tray?

• Level 5

There are several existing threads on this, so probably starting a new one is not going to gain it any traction. I guarantee that there are people who use quick notes and all that is needed to have them show up in the forums is for Evernote to remove this ready access.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:00 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

There are several existing threads on this, so probably starting a new one is not going to gain it any traction. I guarantee that there are people who use quick notes and all that is needed to have them show up in the forums is for Evernote to remove this ready access.

Does it have to be an either/or, zero sum kind of thing? Version 6 gave one options. Choose your preferences.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, ln899 said:

Does it have to be an either/or, zero sum kind of thing? Version 6 gave one options. Choose your preferences.

This is the post I was responding to back in October (with emphasis added by me); perhaps your comment should be addressed to them:

On 9/30/2023 at 12:54 PM, Hads said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  However, since Evernote makes the option to start Evernote to the System icon tray, I am still requesting that the feature be changed to open Evernote instead of a quick note.  I've been using Evernote for Windows since 2010 and it was always that way before the Quick Note feature was added.  My question was for those who use it in the system tray, how many really use quick note instead of launching evernote with one click from the system tray?

@Dave-in-Decatur and others ...

It's been 3 months since I posted this idea and it seems to be getting a lot of criticism.  I've backed off from this comment and moved on and suggest others do the same.  As it turns out, after 13 years of being a paid user of Evernote, I am moving on from the product.   My subscription renews in January and I'm not going to pay $138 ... an 86% increase in price ... for Evernote. 

Time to move on!

@gazumped, I found that my needs are no longer over-complicated and need the new AI features of Evernote.  I'm retired now and have a Microsoft 365 subscription for my family ($99 / year) for 6 people.  I converted 7,500 notes in Evernote over to OneNote.  I've had to modify a lot of my processes that I used for the past 13 years, but I've now settled in and OneNote works fine for me and my family.

• Like 1