Is there support of "styles" or something like that?

dmitry_bond

Idea

Hi.

Sometimes I'm writing synopsis on lectures (or during code investigations, or when writing ideas, whatever).

And here is the problem - for each piece of code I have to do 3-4 operations manually:

• press Ctrl+M (which means - indent forward selected text)
  • select blue color (I'm using blue for code samples and magenta for shell commands/output)
  • select Monospace font
  • change font size from 16 to 14 

So, if I need to add 10 code samples that 40 clicks!
Typical synopsis for 1 lecture contains 20-50 code or output samples, so 80-200 similar monotonous clicks.

Is it possible to optimize this somehow?!
For example: click "Styles list" dropdown and click "Code Sample" style there. Or something like that.

Or at least - could you please fix the bug in node editor instead?
For example: I copied 3 lines from previous code sample and clicked "Paster and match style" (Ctrl+Shift+V) for new piece of code - THAT NEVER WORKED IN 10.x VERSION of EverNote!!!
It is always reset all formatting to default!!! 

So, could please you one of these - or introduce styles or fix that stupid bug which lives in all releases of version 10.x?

Thanks.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The code block feature formats code in a basic way, useful for easy reading. Call it a „style“ if you wish. It can’t be modified.

There have been requests for a more flexible code formatting tool. But up to now it hasn’t materialized.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The code block feature formats code in a basic way, useful for easy reading. Call it a „style“ if you wish. It can’t be modified.

There have been requests for a more flexible code formatting tool. But up to now it hasn’t materialized.

If I cannot highlight a piece of code (with bold or color or highlighter) - that useless for me! (and for team also)

That is why I'm always using own formatting for code pieces. As I already mentioned - Monospace + font size + fore color + indent = 4 additional manual formatting operations on each piece of code.

So, it is not about code itself. It is exactly about styles! It can be code, it can be quotes from literature or whatever. I need a tool to format all such pieces in similar way with minimal efforts.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dmitry_bond said:

I need a tool to format all such pieces in similar way with minimal efforts.

If you can set up that style in a template note,  you could simply use the template or duplicate the original and create a new entry that way.  If you're adding multiple entries to one note,  create the individual quote notes and then merge them together?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But we all can help to get it solved if we vote for it in Github Style Code Blocks 😉.
Since EN decided to use OpenSource for such important core features like RTE, it's not sooo far away to find text formatting tools like Github uses...

On 9/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, dmitry_bond said:

Sometimes I'm writing synopsis on lectures (or during code investigations, or when writing ideas, whatever).
And here is the problem - for each piece of code I have to do 3-4 operations manually:

As long as you need it for code, just mark the desired text and type Ctrl-Shift-L to change it to a code text box.
If you type Ctrl-Shift-L without a selection, it opens an empty code text box.

If you like to highlight only some word within a text line, you may use grave accents to surround desired phases: `printf( "hello world\n" );`  will be changed to image.png.8e465a8c7119120dee0f86ae62514612.png

EN's code text box is not indented but uses a monospace font with black text on light-yellow background - but this is OK for me so far (ask your team to use this compromise). But don't forget to vote for better Code Blocks 🙏

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you can set up that style in a template note,  you could simply use the template or duplicate the original and create a new entry that way.  If you're adding multiple entries to one note,  create the individual quote notes and then merge them together?

This was going to be my approach too. The only problem is that there is only one normal text style. So you would be forced to use one of the headings styles either for normal text or the code style. Some aspects of the format of the headings styles can be changed, but not all of them. For example the small header style is stuck on bold. It may or may not be possible to create exactly what the OP wants, but it is definitely worth a try.

There is also a fairly long standing bug where templates do not respect updated styles, so all of this is a bit academic until the bug is fixed.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2023 at 12:19 AM, dmitry_bond said:

Is it possible to optimize this somehow?!
For example: click "Styles list" dropdown and click "Code Sample" style there. Or something like that.

On Desktop Evernote, I often keep a note popped out in it's own window and to the side that has examples of different format styles that I like.

Since Evernote doesn't have a quote block, I like to preface quote kinds of things with a vertical bar like this:

image.png.e8a19d4b10330886c3b89d7eae9ff3ca.png

Because I can't ever remember what keystroke that is and I don't want to have to color it every time, I keep snippets of text like that in this note that I have popped out to the side. So it's just a matter of copy and pasting that in where needed.

I also like to do the same with a table like this to make it stand out more  

image.png.81384c52168cdd5426ac04e42293c808.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1