search inside a notebook is gone?

I have always clicked on a notebook and then used the search button (magnifying glass icon) and this way search was always happening inside that notebook. Not long ago I noticed that this is not possible anymore. Search is always started in all my notes (not in the specific "opened" notebook).

I checked and windows client is still behaving the "normal way" (if I'm inside a notebook and do a search, the search happens only in that specific notebook). Am I doing something wrong on the Android client? Is this a bug? I did app reinstall and the search behaviour is the same. I have Android client v10.52.2 (1207769).

48 minutes ago, matej1990 said:

No, the notebook does not show up. There is only suggestion for 2 last searches, 2 notes and then some tags.

It appears that in the Android EN version you need ot search "All notes" first and then filter the results by notebook. Use the three dots menu at the top right of the list of found notes and choose filter notes. The notebook is slightly confusingly referred to as "Located in".

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

It appears that in the Android EN version you need ot search "All notes" first and then filter the results by notebook. Use the three dots menu at the top right of the list of found notes and choose filter notes. The notebook is slightly confusingly referred to as "Located in".

This is correct. The notebook ("Located in") filter can be selected before typing in the search, which makes the search faster (and you're going to have to select the filter anyway). Even more annoyingly, the notebooks are listed in reverse alphabetical order (though there is a field to type a notebook name in), and you have to tap Done twice to get back to the search dialog. Really poorly done.

EDIT: I have created a request topic for this. Please vote it up!

• Like 4

Thanks for opening a suggestion!

The thing is, that the search behaviour on Android client was all the time (since v10) the same as it is in Windows. They must have changed it max 1-2 months ago (I'm not sure when it happened). I still think that it is a bug.

I want it back or having an option for it in the settings. The current search is a big step back IMO.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, matej1990 said:

Thanks for opening a suggestion!

The thing is, that the search behaviour on Android client was all the time (since v10) the same as it is in Windows. They must have changed it max 1-2 months ago (I'm not sure when it happened). I still think that it is a bug.

I want it back or having an option for it in the settings. The current search is a big step back IMO.

I agree. Frankly, the way it is now (especially with the reverse-alpha sort order of notebooks) almost looks like it was done by somebody right at quitting time who left it that way and then got reassigned or something so that it never got finished.

Ok, so I did some testing and I found out that the "quick" search within notebook was working fine until v10.51. Newer versions (v10.52-53) require search within notebook done with filters (more steps involved).

V10.51 screenshot:

image.thumb.png.6b575108ded90fbef4495b1e44ef5f75.png

If I do the same steps on a newer version, no notebook is automatically selected in search.

I'm in the contact with support. Hopefully they can fix it in the next version.

• Thanks 1

Hmm... I have Windows client 10.60.4 and it works fine on 2 PCs. I also just tried Evernote in web and it's also fine.

Windows:

image.png.e4689195c0094b1e63b0249d9f55a491.png

Web:

image.png.95efb6d8bf6d27771531a8b27a32e50b.png

Here is also a video (android v10.51 client that I have on my phone), just to make sure that we are actually talking about the same stuff:

As you can see, notebook "pijače" is preselected in search everywhere. This is the way it should be. A consistent Evernote search behaviour on every platform.

• 1 month later...

Well I be damned... Evernote support messaged me today and they are saying that they fixed search inside notebook! 👍

image.png.711d4dc6fd7cf6264685587a1620109b.png

For me, Evernote update is still not visible in Google Play. If someone already has never version than v10.55.1 (new one will probably be v10.55.2 or v10.56.), let me know if they actually fixed it.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Looks like Evernote never fixed search inside a note on Android, even though support told me that it was fixed. On Windows search is still working fine. I asked them in which version they fixed search and I got no answer back.

So looks like Android version is still very much neglected. I hope that new Evernote owners turn the company around before it is too late.

• Level 5

The filter kludge is no kludge at all, but obviously what most users today want to allow a command line free access to complex search queries.

Personally I find it quite despiteful how self defined „power users“ treat the benefits for other users by a unified, easy to use UI. The search filters selection is well designed and intuitive, and by no means a kludge.

Those more close to the resources of the app (the real power users …?!) know:

- on desktop when starting from a specific notebook, the initial search will be in this notebook only

- on all clients you can type notebook:notebookname plus searchstring to restrict a search to a specific notebook

- for frequently used searches save a search

• Level 5

I should have been more clear: I have no problem with the filter structure on the Android app. That works well. What I don't understand is why they removed the automatic filter for the notebook the user is currently working in when a search is initiated. I'm pretty certain it used to work that way, as it does in the Windows and Web apps, and I don't understand the reason for the change. Even less do I understand why, in the "Located in" filter, the notebooks are listed in reverse alphabetical order.

Thanks for the reminder about typing notebook:notebookname. Depending on the length of the notebook name (and where its first letter appears in the alphabet!), that can be a good alternative to scrolling down the list in the filter.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There are powers greater than mankind (like entropy, which can hit code as well).

It stopped work on the iOS client either, so I suppose it was among the 7.000 lines of unused code removed from the app a short while ago. Probably it was not THAT unused, after all. Who knows ?

Anybody who wants to tell this to EN should contact support (Oooooops) - wish you luck, Dave 😉. Give us a sign of wellbeing once you are back from this journey.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Yeah, I knew when I saw that post about 7,000 lines of unused code being removed that something "used" had likely gone as well. Husband: "I just took out the recycling." Wife: "Have you seen the holiday gift shopping list I've been working on for a month?" Probably if they had stopped at 6,950 we'd have been saved. But it's definitely not worth a trip to the support hole (bless their hearts, they're trying) over this.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5
On 1/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, matej1990 said:

The problem still exists.

Yes (in v. 10.64, the most recent). Looking back through the thread I see that they told you 3 months ago that they had fixed it and it was in the newest release. It clearly wasn't and isn't. Have you had any more dialogue with them since that time? Bad as their support is, it's more common to see "we can't reproduce it" (not credible in many cases) than to see "we fixed it" but the fix never appears.

• 1 month later...

It's still not working properly. This filtering is too many steps, especially if you have a lot of different recipe stacks, gardening stacks  etc. with many notebooks in it, in different languages. Most of the time it doesn't even find them as you type. I want to search only in one notebook because if it doesn't find my notebook, I have to do a general search and get parsnip from every stack including my garden section, while all I wanted is soup. too much to wade through. Who can remember every single notebooks? Often I have to do my search on the computer app, make a reminder for my selection and then wait for it too appear on my android app, sometimes it's quick but sometimes I am waiting and waiting. I should be able to do this on the app. A manual sync would be good in this situation but of course that's not possible anymore either.
I am a prime user since 2012. The android app is getting more and more unusable for people that not "power (tech people) users" .
It takes too long to load, it takes too long to sync, it crashes all the time. Sometimes I want to start cooking dinner now and not to have to wait for the notebooks to fill up because I don't see the notes in there. I don't know what it's doing but there is nothing in there and it can take 5 minutes and more it all to sync up again. 
Right now I am testing Joplin out, because this Evernote app issue is really getting to me, it is wasting my time. I have been holding out waiting for it to improve, work better but every update seems to make it worse for me. The new fancy windows app is really not that great either, lot's of bells and whistles most people don't need, I don't need bells and whistles, I need something that is workable. 
Me thinks they are moving toward corporation, work flow clientele and leaving the rest in the dust.

• Like 1

And it will not work properly. Search in Evernote for Android is simply garbage now because you need to use filters that complicate searching for no good reason. Support is also useless.

• Like 1