Evernote App alway crashes on Android

Go to solution Solved by Federico Simionato,

Hi guys,

Since about one week, I cannot use Evernote on my Android phone anymore (Samsung Galaxy A50, so not an oldie...): every time I try to start the app, it crashes back to the android menu, with a very half-second white screen.

I already tried (several times) to:

• Unistall / Reinstall the App
  • Clear the cache on Android for Evernote App
  • Erease all datas on Android for Evernote App
  • Restart my phone (obviously...)

Nothing helps... I use to pay for my personal account, then went back to a free account, as I was not using the benefits of the other one.

Now I'm looking for alternative apps (which I don't really find...): what has become this app?!

I hope you have some hints that could help me solve this issue.

Thanks in advance

Seb

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You seem to have done most of what we would suggest,  though it may be worth trying one more uninstall / restart / reinstall.  One of the benefits of subscribing is access to Evernote Support rather than just other users like us... 

21 minutes ago, Seboune said:

Tried again today and it didn't work... 😕

It works on my A50. Do you know the installed version? 

Have you already tried to restart your phone completely?

• Like 1

This happens to me, too. About 1-2 weeks ago Evernote for Android started crashing whenever I start it. I uninstalled and reinstalled and then it worked a few more days, until it started crashing again. I again uninstalled and reinstalled, and again it worked for a few more days before it started crashing. I'm discouraged so I haven't "fixed" it again because I don't see the point.

I used to pay for Evernote Premium but stopped because of the price hike. I'm still willing to pay for it, but I will only pay for a working product! This crash, along with a few high-priority bugs on the Windows app, are what's keeping me from becoming a paying customer again.

• Like 3

Version is the latest & only available to download, so 10.52.2.

PS: I feel exactly the same as you, Oren.

I used to have a premium account too, then prices went up like crazy (12€/month for a note app, for personal use, sounds crazy to me, especially when compared to other monthly subscriptions) and I went back to the free version, as I never used the premium features (more data, more devices... I have no use of it...).

If it were for <4€, why not, but damn, 12€/month, that's more than spicy for what it is... 

• Like 2

@Seboune I do have a password manager (Bitwarden) but that can't be the problem because it's not something that runs all the time: it's a separate app. Also, one of my experiments was to restart the phone to see if Evernote would work then, and it didn't.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Oren Hurvitz said:

I do have a password manager (Bitwarden)

I  also use Bitwarden and don't have any issues - it shouldn't be affecting the app.  Do you use a VPN or any network security?

On 8/1/2023 at 5:04 PM, gazumped said:

I  also use Bitwarden and don't have any issues - it shouldn't be affecting the app.  Do you use a VPN or any network security?

I do not.

Evernote has been working fine for years, and only started crashing very recently. I haven't installed any new apps.

To answer your questions:

• I use no VPN
  • 2 devices are listed on my Evernote account: I even tried to "forget" my Smartphone on this menu, but it didn't change anything, even after reinstalling the app

I described what happens in my first post:

When I open the app, it immediately crashes with a half-second white screen.

When I delete all information regarding Evernote on my phone, the login page appears, but when I log on (with the same login as on my desktop), same crash immediately happens.

4 hours ago, Seboune said:

When I delete all information regarding Evernote on my phone, the login page appears, but when I log on (with the same login as on my desktop), same crash immediately happens.

And if you login with a new account?

Hi Eric,

Wow that's weird, I used an old account I never really used to log in and it...

Worked...

I'm confused now.

I checked again on my Evernote account (Desktop) and have only 2 devices linked to my main account, which is normal for the free version.

Dang that's so weird, I don't understand what's happening...

I'm having exactly the same issue. Evernote 10.52.2 running on a Pixel 7 Pro. About ten days ago it stopped working. Like the OP, I get the Evernote logo, then a white screen for about 1/3 of a second then it quits. I tried clearing cache, clearing data, uninstalling, reinstalling.

I haven't tried creating a new account, but I don't see what that will really achieve, other than... "there's a bug in evernote triggered by particular user profiles, but not just yours". I still can't access my notes on my phone, and I'm not about to start deleting notes off my account to see if it stops crashing.

• Like 1

Hi All.

I got a new phone (SamsungA14) as my previous one died in Aug2023. As soon as I installed evernote on my new phone, it kept crashing. After reading this thread I went onto the web client via my laptop, into my account and then settings and finally devices, and discovered for my free account, that I still had old phones connected, so I revoked those devices, and now evernote on my new phone works as before.

I hope this helps someone, as this issues was causing a bit of stress for me.

Take care D

• Like 1

Same thing happening here when I downgraded from Personal to the free version since their price just doubled and could no longer afford it.  Tried uninstalling/reinstalling, restarted, cleared cache.  This is on my Galaxy SNote 20 Ultra.  I only have 2 devices - laptop and android phone.  It seems that the company is wanting us to pay.

evernote_stopping.jpg

• Level 5*

If you're on the free plan,  check your device limit.  You may be sure that you only have two devices linked,  but does Evernote agree with you?  So far I'm still on 10.52.2 with no update in sight,  but it should be available in days.  Meantime,  there's always the web version if you have a tablet...

Understanding the device limit

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Georgiejr said:

Is this still considered as 2 devices?

No.  That's three devices.  Use the link I posted earlier to disconnect everything except the web device you're using.  You can then reconnect one more...

On 8/7/2023 at 8:46 PM, Federico Simionato said:

I'm sorry for the issue.

We are releasing 10.53 either today or tomorrow. I will post on the forum when we do. Let me know if that version solves this crash.

Hi Federico, it's now 5 days and still no sign of 10.53. I haven't been able to use Evernote for weeks now. Any idea when 10.53 is coming out? Many thanks!

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, T1mTam said:

it's now 5 days and still no sign of 10.53

I haven't received 10.53 yet either. My experience is that updates can take as much as 10 days to arrive. We're in the hands of the Google Play Store unless you choose to side load from an APK repository.

Added to that I believe an additional fix has since been released so that could reset the clock. 

Sadly patience is all we, you and I, can practice. There's nothing that Evernote can do to speed the process.

• Like 1

I'm having the same issue and can't get past the initial screen flash on Android. From what I can tell, they released an update coinciding with the price increase that basically ruined the experience for people who disagreed with paying twice as much. I realize that's cynical, but Evernote's never been great with new releases, so this isn't really that surprising.

Thanks for the update @agsteele! I'll keep an eye out for it.

It was mentioned that using the website for notes counted as one of your two devices. Are they segregating web traffic to tell whether a user is using the online notes, accessing their account, or posting on the forum (you are here)? If they aren't, then how are most of us posting here without violating the free plan? A better question would be, how could we revoke a device without signing into our accounts, cause as far as I tell, that's the only way to do so.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, NicCrockett said:

or posting on the forum (you are here)?

The forum is a third-party website and does not count towards 'use' of your account.  You do need to be logged in to revoke devices,  so Evernote in practice is 'Web + one' with the 'plus' being changeable (within tight limits) to allow new devices to be adopted.

I had a lot of confidential notes, that I signed up for personal just to be able to have access to those notes and get them out of evernote.  Guess this app closing, only happens for the free version.  Trying too force to get a subscription.

If this is the case, then that's quite an harsh way to market the app premium version and I feel super bad about it.

I'd pay without problem 2 to 3€/month if needed (I guess that's about what I used to pay when I add a premium account), but 12€ monthly for this kind of service is, a mentioned before, really far too salty to me. 

Also: I still remember times where my notes (without big files in it) were accessible on Evernote without 5-10 seconds loading time each, and I could add a quick word or two to be sure not to forget about it later on. 

For some time already, openning Evernote on my smartphone feels like starting my PC... 

Seb

• Evernote Expert

This isn't an attempt to force an upgrade.

But if you want to use the Note History function then that had always been a subscriber feature. You can pay for one month and then drop back to Free .

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Georgiejr said:

I had a lot of confidential notes, that I signed up for personal just to be able to have access to those notes and get them out of evernote.  Guess this app closing, only happens for the free version.  Trying too force to get a subscription.

Assuming you're taken the advice given earlier to remove one of your 3 devices (laptop, Web client, Android phone), and have tried uninstalling Evernote from the phone, restarting, and re-installing, you may need to contact support on this. If you do, refer them to this thread, so  they know that it's happening to multiple users. That would mean re-subscribing for just one month, getting it fixed, then dropping back to free. Repeated accusations of manipulation by Evernote don't really help.

Hi there, having the same issue.

I've followed all instructions in this thread, and now revoked access to my laptop, so Evernote web and the phone app should make up my two devices. I've uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled the app on my phone. Still crashing each time I try to open.

This also started happening to me only after I tried the free month trial. After downgrading to a free account was when the phone app started crashing. Hope we can remedy the situation in this thread.

Cheers,

Chris

So the pattern seems to be for all of us:

1. User uses a free Evernote account
  2. User upgrade to a premium Evernote account
  3. User downgrades to a free Evernote account again => Issue with the login that makes the app crashes after a short white screen.

As I mentioned before, it stopped for me (without clear reason) last week, but if my thread here makes it possible for other users having the same issue to get it fixed, I'll keep it open.

Hi. Galaxy A20. Android OS just updated. All apps in my smart phone works fine. Except for Evernote. Crashes every time I open it. Tried reinstalling more than 20 times. Doesn´t work. Recently returned to free plan again after the new prices.

I will move to Notion or some other. Good luck people. 

Guys! Some good news. Evernote 10.53 fixed the crashing problem for me.

There's just one snag... even though 10.53 was released on August 9th, the appstore in my region (Australia) is still showing 10.52.2.

So I downloaded 10.53 from an APK mirror (in my case this one but there are plenty of them.. scroll down and the tiny green "download APK (223.6MB)" button is sandwiched in between the huge spammy DOWNLOAD NOW ads. Make sure you click the right button!)

You'll need to enable the "install unknown apps" privilege (method varies, on Pixel 7 Pro it prompted me to when I tried to open the downloaded file). You can re-enable it again afterwards.

• Like 1

I'm glad this forum is still here and open to non-paying users. I was having the same problem since downgrading to free in July and saw here that I should look for a new app version and, sure enough, my phone hadn't updated it yet but it was available, and when I did update it, it started working immediately. No phone reboot needed. 

• Like 3