Price increase of almost $100 over last year. What are options for someone who only uses EN as a virtual filing cabinet?

Go to solution Solved by alberto.grados,

I started using EN Professional in 2011 to clip recipes and recommended it without reservation to my friends and acquaintances. I've expanded to a few other areas, but it's actually a filing system with 10K notes now.

I definitely see the value behind making the app more robust. However, as someone disabled/retired, I can't justify paying an increase like this for bells and whistles I won't use. 

Are there viable alternatives that will allow you to import notebooks into the new app without losing data?  Or am I asking the wrong people?

• Like 1
  • Solution
On 18/7/2023 at 20:40, karmajinpa dijo:

I started using EN Professional in 2011 to clip recipes and recommended it without reservation to my friends and acquaintances. I've expanded to a few other areas, but it's actually a filing system with 10K notes now.

I definitely see the value behind making the app more robust. However, as someone disabled/retired, I can't justify paying an increase like this for bells and whistles I won't use. 

Are there viable alternatives that will allow you to import notebooks into the new app without losing data?  Or am I asking the wrong people?

Hi, I live in Peru, for me the new price is unaffordable. As an Evernote Expert I received a professional account subscription for free but not now. That’s the reason I decide to move my notes. I’m following some Notion Experts and moving some of my information there. It’s impossible to move information for more than 10 years, but I decide to move the most important info only; and learn how to use the new App. 
I think there are a lot of Apps for note taking and the election depends on the way you prefer to take notes. Similar Apps to EN, maybe could be: OneNote, Craft, Bear, Apple Notes or Nimbus Notes. 
Changing time. Regards. 

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*

I'm an Apple user with a Mac and iPad    
I transferred my notes to Devonthink, a digital file cabinet product    
(I'm a user of this product; with no other connection to the company)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If W0ndows you can use export to HTML to your c drive and use Windows sort for indexing of titles and contents.  Pick a cloud provider of your choice for backup and sync (I chose MEGA for its end to end encryption).  File explorer can be a gateway to your data but I opted for Directory Opus which provides an EN like view of things. saved searches, and some powerful file management capabilities.  I moved 56k notes at the end of 2021 and have added almost 6k files since.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but if all you want is a filing cabinet this works well.  Other EN functions I get elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, CalS said:

If W0ndows you can use export to HTML to your c drive and use Windows sort for indexing of titles and contents.  Pick a cloud provider of your choice for backup and sync (I chose MEGA for its end to end encryption).  File explorer can be a gateway to your data but I opted for Directory Opus which provides an EN like view of things. saved searches, and some powerful file management capabilities.  I moved 56k notes at the end of 2021 and have added almost 6k files since.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but if all you want is a filing cabinet this works well.  Other EN functions I get elsewhere.

Unfortunately attachment links in V10 HTML are broken.

I reported this bug more than 2 years ago, EN can fix it by just adding a single line of HTML to the attachment icon:

<a href="my files/john doe.pdf" style="text-decoration: none;">

They promised me several times that they would fix it, but for some reason they refuse to do it.
Today's data loss issues make a working HTML archive more urgent than ever.
I'm willing to keep paying for Evernote, but they have to deliver what they promise in their feature list.
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Unfortunately attachment links in V10 HTML are broken.

For sure V10 doesn't have the export simplicity of Legacy.  I did it with V6.  If I were to do it today I would remove V10, install V6, and go from there.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, CalS said:

For sure V10 doesn't have the export simplicity of Legacy.  I did it with V6.  If I were to do it today I would remove V10, install V6, and go from there.

Yes, but they want to get rid of V6 without fixing these issues first. So this forces people to leave evernote before legacy stops 😕

• Level 5*

It's definitely not a solution when V6 is gone.  OP seems to have some sense of urgency.

Still waiting for the over/under pool on Legacy sunset.  😉

• Level 5

There will be no dependency of first fixing here, meanwhile continue running legacy there.

The stress of double syncing and double code base is obvious. I think it will be necessary soon to simplify the setup, by shedding the old data structures.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, karmajinpa said:

Great discussion. However, I'm an Apple woman. 😀

Depending on your wants and needs: Obsidian, Bear, Apple Notes, and Devonthink, to name a few.  Devonthink was my original plan B, but the new version of Bear would probably cover my needs.  Obsidian looks interesting but I need to test that one out some more.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:01 PM, DTLow said:

(I'm a user of this product; with no other connection to the company)

I really like DT, but the lack of ability to put the data file in the cloud (dropbox, icloud, etc.) is a big negative to me since it makes sharing the data between computers a nightmare.

• Level 5

If you want to have extended sharing capabilities, you need to purchase the server version.

Adds significantly to the price tag, plus you need to run a server infrastructure to benefit from it. As often, there is nothing like a free lunch - and one need to understand that DT is a self hosted application that has no "home base" on a cloud server operated by the apps developer.

In this respect it is fundamentally different from EN, and requires additional skills and effort from the owner. It is not the "Sign in, subscribe and go easy" app like EN.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ChuckHaas said:

sharing the data between computers a nightmare.

DT automatically syncs data between Apple devices    
It has various sync options; including cloud sync datastores (dropbox, icloud, etc.)   
Note; Only Apple devices; not multi-platform like Evernote

I must confess that I've not had a chance to investigate any of the suggestions in this thread. They all seem like good options. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Life kept interrupting me last week but I plan to look at all the suggested apps this week.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:01 PM, DTLow said:

DevonThink looks pretty cool. I would rather pay a one time license fee than pay an annual subscription. I got out of the Adobe $50 monthly subscription ripoff and paid a one time $299 subscription for DaVinci Resolve for editing. Well worth the switch.

Can't use DevonThink though, I am on Windows. :( I like Windows, but have to admit Mac has some cool software.