Is an increase in note size limit coming up?

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

One of the reasons given for previous note size limits is that the whole note needs to sync each time there's a change. With the new RTE it just sync the specific changed section if I understand correctly.

Does this mean that an increase of note size limits from 200mb is on the cards?

It would definitely be helpful for me, I have videos of experiments that I need accessible from evernote with the context of the notes around it, but I currently need to add a link to my online storage service instead which means it doesn't work on different computers since the cloud drive is mounted at different points and definitely doesn't work on Android.

Also recently I switched cloud storage providers and that broke all previous links.

Those are the reasons a higher note size limit would be helpful for me.

• Level 5
  • Solution

Interesting question! But the forum is basically user-to-user, and none of us would know about Evernote's upcoming development paths. Nor would Evernote be likely to spill those particular beans--they almost never remark on upcoming feature changes (except for the recent introduction of the flashy RTE-enabled sync structure and AI functions), and letting such info out would only encourage competitors to do it first. I don't need anything that big, but I know there are many who would love it. You could always try a support request (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) to get a definitive non-answer. 🙂

Thanks Dave!

I would really hate to bother support with this, it's not really a problem I need help with and more wishful thinking/hopes and dreams! I was more just putting this out there to see what other users might think of it and maybe if we get lucky someone from the product team might reply as they do very occasionally do.

Also might be another reason to just power through this whole slightly messy transition to RTE.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, ReactorLark said:

I would really hate to bother support with this

That link is for feedback too - and will get you a direct response from Evernote,  even if it is "we have no immediate plans..."

On the work-around front:  have you looked at any apps that might reduce the file size of your videos?

Gazumped - I didn't realize that. Maybe I should drop them a line after all.

On reducing file size: I gave it a brief shot but some of my notes had 10+ videos in them (this was actually a habit I picked up from when I used to use Notion without any size limits) and I didn't get any great results messing around with compression settings on Handbrake, but maybe there's some better software out there to do this sort of thing. I think this is a good call - I am going to look into this again. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN is a notes app, not a video archive. For anything except Videos the 200MB limit is more than enough - I rarely go beyond 50MB.  I really hope they DON‘T raise the limit - we would likely have to pay for storage in the end, not only for upload. 

If you want to store video, open a private YT channel. Store your Videos there, link them to a note. You can even view the video inside of the note.

• Like 1

I work in R&D and I wouldn't be able to put client data behind a non password protected link, it still counts as public. Any leaks would then be on me. A private channel is just unlisted but not password protected correct? 

For my personal stuff yes the risk is irrelevant. For client data not so much. Although I may well be misunderstanding what a private channel on YouTube is, apologies if thats the case.

Half of me would like a bigger note as I deal with wav sound files a lot but I think the more likely change would be better integration with cloud drives.

You can already integrate Google Drive so a possible workflow could be to store the videos in folders on Google Drive and then pick them up in the Evernote note and attach them - The blue +Insert button has a Google Drive option.

12 hours ago, ReactorLark said:

One of the reasons given for previous note size limits is that the whole note needs to sync each time there's a change. With the new RTE it just sync the specific changed section if I understand correctly.

This is an interesting point. I didn't think attachments would sync each time there was an update to note text content under the old (pre-RTE) model.

Say, for example, you have a 200 character note with a 190 MB video attachment in it. If you added a couple of characters of text to the note, it wouldn't need to re-upload the 190 MB attachment under the pre-RTE model. The video attachment is not saved directly in the body of the note -- even though it appears that way in the client.

So in this case, I don't think the RTE sync has any improvements for large attachments.

If you modified a video or PDF attachment though (say you added a page to the PDF or annotated it in an external program and resaved) -- does RTE work on those 'blob' kinds of objects to only sync the changes or is RTE for text only. My impression was that RTE operated on note body text only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 3:12 PM, gazumped said:

That link is for feedback too - and will get you a direct response from Evernote,  even if it is "we have no immediate plans..."

On the work-around front:  have you looked at any apps that might reduce the file size of your videos?

Thanks for this nudge. I had used handbrake earlier but it was too complicated to get good results. I decided to look at options and this software works much better: https://freevideocompressor.com/

• Like 1