Unexpected text change into gibberish in the notes

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

For years, I've been using the IFTT service to place notes in my notebook that have been marked as "favorites" on Twitter. A note is created and all the messages that have been marked as favorites are thrown into it. When a certain limit is reached, a new note is created and everything is repeated. 

But today I noticed that the text of the note was changed. The screenshot shows the date of the first entry in the current note, September 28, 2022. And a few days ago, the entire text of the note was fine. And today it looks like something strange. I opened the previous file with the notes, and the same thing happened. All the text is converted to these &#1110 characters. I'm already afraid to open the other notes, expecting that the text will change there too. 

Is there any way to fix this?

sharex_Twitter_Favorites_-_Evernote_-_Google_Chrome_2023_05_06_19_41_49.jpg

• Level 5*
On 5/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, photokitteh said:

Is there any way to fix this?

Hi.  No clue - I don't know how IFTTT creates the notes,  but I do know that Twitter is currently far less accommodating than it used to be for external feeds.  If you're a subscriber here I suggest you take it up with both Evernote and IFTTT supports (which we're not - mainly other users here.)

Thank you for the answer!
I know that this is not an IFTT support board, it was just mentioned as a prerequisite. 

The thing is that the text (or its encoding?) was changed not only in the current (active?) note (where marked messages are written), but also in the previous one, where the recording of messages stopped long ago. But then again, a few days ago, the text there was fine. 

And another thing: if you go to Note History and select any date (even the last one), the text is displayed... Normal. 

This is a screenshot of the same place from the note as in my first post in this thread. But in Note History menu.

sharex_Twitter_-_Evernote_-_Google_Chrome_2023_05_08_19_18_01.jpg

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you have access to the history,  you'll also have access to Support so I suggest you get them to look.  I still have no clue what might affect the content one day and not the next!

• Evernote Expert

It is a USER supported area. If you have access to note history then you are paying for a subscription and have access to Evernote support team direct. That's the way @gazumpedis recommending for you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

@photokitteh, this problem has been reported by quite a number of forum users, always regarding notes using non-Roman scripts (Arabic, Russian, Chinese). See for example https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/145635-new-notes-appear-as-numbers-symbols/. In what language were these Twitter posts written? In many if not all of those cases, the notes had been created using a widget or quick note; I wonder if the process of Twitter > IFTTT > Evernote caused a similar effect. In any case, please do report this to Evernote tech support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new--they need to know how many people are affected and what the details are.

Thank you for your response! I have reported the issue to support. 

Yes, the text that is now displayed with errors was mostly in Ukrainian (tweets in english are fine). I don't risk opening other (older) notes to check it in more detail, so that the text doesn't change there as well. Until I get some kind of response from the support team. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 minutes ago, photokitteh said:

Thank you for your response! I have reported the issue to support. 

Yes, the text that is now displayed with errors was mostly in Ukrainian (tweets in english are fine). I don't risk opening other (older) notes to check it in more detail, so that the text doesn't change there as well. Until I get some kind of response from the support team. 

So the issue definitely seems to be limited to non-Roman texts. BTW, when I said "Russian" I was going only by what the script looked like to me. I don't read either Russian or Ukrainian, so I don't really know which language it was. Posts are here:

16 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So the issue definitely seems to be limited to non-Roman texts

(just maybe) AND in notes created with third-party tools. 

Notes that were created "manually" (typed by hand) or created through a Evernote Web Clipper do not have such problems. 

• Like 1

The same happened to me. All my notes, YEARS of them, turned to gibberish. What the hell is this thing about having to be a paying costumer to get to send them an email? this is ridiculous. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue?

Hello, 

I gave the same issue and form my side i can confirm that i made notes "manually".  (WebClipper and 3rd party tools were not used). All notes were created via Evernote Win App or Evernote Android app.

I found that old notes are like that, maybe that time i used - Windows CE or Windows mobile  evernote app.  

Do we have solution already? what to do? how to  convert back?

Well, on Tuesday night I created a ticket in customer support but still no response. 

It seems that paid subscribers have access to the history of edits in a note. It seems that this is the only option for today to get something out of the corrupted notes. Because everything is displayed normally in the history. But this is a kinda crooked way for those who use free accounts, - to pay to get their "property" (texts and so on) back. 

This is some kind of strange coding. If you paste that corrupted text into a search engine, it will pull out some words and sentences. 

• Level 5

The notes are still intact - what you see is the Unicode representation of the characters. It is an issue in correctly displaying this content.

Paying users have already issued multiple support tickets, so no need to take further action by Free users. Support is working on it.

Some more information:

It seemingly only happens to non-Latin alphabets, like Cyrillic, Arabian or some Asian alphabets.

It was related (unconfirmed) to the use of the Android widget or Quicknote features.

Don‘t mess with these notes - as told the content is still there, unless you damage it yourself while trying to „recover“ it. To fix it the display of content needs to be fixed - this means a new release of the clients is the most likely fix.

For any further questions this is an option working for Free users as well (unless Elon broke it …):

It is not meant as a replacement to full support access, which is a subscribers feature.

• Like 3