Cannot access my notes in the web client - "oops, we encountered an error"

Hi, I can log in to the web client, but immediately after login, there is an error and I can only access my profile, not my notes. Yesterday it was working fine, now it isn't.

I am a free user. I haven't overreached the device limit. I've tried to restart my browser and it didn't help. I've tried several browsers - same problem. I've tried to access the web client from the same PC where I have the desktop app installed (the app is working fine) - same problem. I've tried to disable the "Enable V10+ web clients" checkbox in Personal settings, and it didn't help. I've tried to revoke access for the web client in "Devices" and log in again - same problem. So I don't know what else to do. Thanks for help.
image.png.cb4299a7bcb7b9799a22f24f5bf4f6f4.png

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Delete the cache and cookies related to evernote.com in the browser is often a way forward in this situation.

I see that @PinkElephant and I were typing simultaneously...

Edited by agsteele
Clarification
  • Like 1

Same problem!!!! Help!!! And clearing cache/cookies not helping. I've tried different browsers. Started last night. It seems to work on mobile. But I like the interface on web/desktop. Do I need to upgrade to premium, so I can email support? I've also tried turning off VPN, rebooting, etc. Nothing works.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, MNP said:

Same problem!!!! Help!!! And clearing cache/cookies not helping. I've tried different browsers. Started last night. It seems to work on mobile. But I like the interface on web/desktop. Do I need to upgrade to premium, so I can email support?

Hi.  How many devices does the web app show connected to your account?  If you have more than 2,  upgrading will definitely sort your problem out by removing that limit.  Or you could disconnect some devices... More here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068

• Evernote Expert
35 minutes ago, MNP said:

Many thanks for responding. I have two devices. I did check that. So that does not seem to be the issue.

Please forgive me for pushing back on this statement - if not for you then for others who might find themselves here...

It is not uncommon for Free users to assert that they are only using two devices but when they check in the Evernote settings they find more than two listed.  I'm on a Personal plan so am not limited.  But if you asked me how many devices I have registered I'd count up three but checking in the account settings I find that I have four.  One a hangover from a previous mobile device.

https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action

• Like 1

Something obviously happened yesterday evening, New York time. I think the only solution is to buy premium (which I do from time to time) so I can have access to direct support?

• Evernote Expert
Just now, MNP said:

I think the only solution is to buy premium (which I do from time to time) so I can have access to direct support?

I guess you'll go with Personal since Premium no longer exists ;)  I often tell others to view a one month Personal sub as a payment for single issue support.  You might want to wait until Monday.  Occasionally issues like this seemingly resolve themselves after a day or two.

I guess you'll go with Personal since Premium no longer exists ;)  I often tell others to view a one month Personal sub as a payment for single issue support.  You might want to wait until Monday.  Occasionally issues like this seemingly resolve themselves after a day or two.

Many, many thanks for the good advice.

Yeah, what's up with this? Can't access the web interface anymore... It's not a number of devices issue, or a browser issue, and have tried on multiple computers. Did Evernote take WEB CLASSIC offline? I tried accessing a different account which uses the newer web interface, and it looks like it works fine.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Slide said:

Yeah, what's up with this? Can't access the web interface anymore... It's not a number of devices issue, or a browser issue, and have tried on multiple computers. Did Evernote take WEB CLASSIC offline? I tried accessing a different account which uses the newer web interface, and it looks like it works fine.

Hi.  Please don't post issues more than once - I replied to this here: 

The problem still persists :-(.

I have two workstations - a PC with evernote desktop app installed and a laptop where I access evernote through the web client. After I found out that the web client was no longer working for me on the laptop, I tried to access it on the PC just to test if it was working there, and it wasn't. It's not the device limit, I checked that and at the time when the problem started, it only it only showed two devices. Clearing cache and cookies doesn't help. Also, if it had any effect, the problem wouldn't occur when testing it on the PC.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sonya2 said:

The problem still persists :-(.

Hi.  Difficult to see what could be going on here - if you've verified with Evernote that you only have two devices listed there should be no bar to your connecting on at least one of them.  Has anything to do with your internet connection changed recently?  Antivirus / firewall / provider??

@gazumped no, nothing has changed. The provider is the same. The two workstations have differing configurations from each other (different antivirus and firewall, but it hasn't changed recently) and the web client doesn't work at either of them. Only the app works. And judging from this discussion, I am not the only one having this issue.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Sonya2 said:

I am not the only one having this issue.

Given that Evernote has millions of users,  if the web app had issues with free accounts I think there would be more than just a few comments here...  and the jury's still out on device limits for some of the posters.  Provided you have no unsynced notes you're down to the Big Four options - 

Sign out of Evernote and...

> sign back in
> restart device / sign back in
> choose "remove my data from this
device" / sign back in
> uninstall app using Revo Uninstaller Free (& choose "remove my data from this device") / restart device / reinstall app / sign back in

Of course there's also the possibility of subscribing,  however briefly,  mainly in your case to get easy access to Support...

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Sonya2 said:

Only the app works. And judging from this discussion, I am not the only one having this issu

1 hour ago, Sonya2 said:

gazumpednothing has changed. The provider is the same. The two workstations have differing configurations from each other (different antivirus and firewall, but it hasn't changed recently) and the web client doesn't work at either of them. Only the app works.

If you have the desktop app on two separate computers accessing the same Free account that will take both of your devices. The web counts as a device separately so one this case would be a third device and, therefore, blocked from connecting.

• Like 1

@agsteeleNo. I am stupid, but not that stupid that I wouldn't be able to understand that the web client counts as a device. So I repeat, it's not the device limit, I checked that and at the time when the problem started, it only showed two devices. When I was testing if the web client works on my PC where I have the app installed, I first logged out of it on my laptop so as not to overreach the device limit.

在 2023/3/10 在 PM6點34分, Sonya2說:

Hi, I can log in to the web client, but immediately after login, there is an error and I can only access my profile, not my notes. Yesterday it was working fine, now it isn't.

I am a free user. I haven't overreached the device limit. I've tried to restart my browser and it didn't help. I've tried several browsers - same problem. I've tried to access the web client from the same PC where I have the desktop app installed (the app is working fine) - same problem. I've tried to disable the "Enable V10+ web clients" checkbox in Personal settings, and it didn't help. I've tried to revoke access for the web client in "Devices" and log in again - same problem. So I don't know what else to do. Thanks for help.
image.png.cb4299a7bcb7b9799a22f24f5bf4f6f4.png

I have the same issue. And I have two account, I can't access either of them.
I didn't installed the desktop app on my PC, and I'm sure that I haven't overreached the device limit.
But I can access my notes on my iPhone, iOS App is working. 

Anyway, I've solved it now. It was actually caused by the fact that I was still using the classic interface (however, the "ooops" error message was not helpful at all in determining that this was the cause). When I switched it to the new one, it started working. It's also a bit counterintuitive that this setting is in Account summary and not in Personal settings. But whatever...

image.png.d3e7f5a1776064af564251dd7fd1686b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
21 hours ago, Sonya2 said:

@agsteeleNo. I am stupid, but not that stupid that I wouldn't be able to understand that the web client counts as a device. So I repeat, it's not the device limit, I checked that and at the time when the problem started, it only showed two devices. When I was testing if the web client works on my PC where I have the app installed, I first logged out of it on my laptop so as not to overreach the device limit.

I wasn't suggesting any stupidity. If it came across that way then, of course, I apologise.

I'm delighted that you've apparently resolved the issue.  Although, please note that logging out doesn't drop a device. As long you only have two devices listed in your settings, that is the key thing.

Anyway, I've solved it now. It was actually caused by the fact that I was still using the classic interface (however, the "ooops" error message was not helpful at all in determining that this was the cause). When I switched it to the new one, it started working. It's also a bit counterintuitive that this setting is in Account summary and not in Personal settings. But whatever...

I still have this issue. Switching to the new interface is not a solution for me, because I'm wedded to the classic interface. I have paid for a subscription, just to get email/ticket support. I have sent an email to support, and await their response.

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, MNP said:

Switching to the new interface is not a solution for me, because I'm wedded to the classic interface

Sadly, you may find that the 'classic' interface will cease to work if a browser or OS is updated. It is an out of date editor which may, or may not, work for much longer.

You might try switching to v10. If that fixes things for you it will give you more data to add to your ticket. Then switch back to classic and see if that now works.

• Level 5*

I've now reminded myself of where the switchover to 'classic' and 'previous' versions of the web app live,  and there are two separate options there besides the latest one.  One option appears to work,  but the other gives me an "Oops" too - so either Evernote tweaked something in the background,  or that old version of the page no longer works in the latest versions of the browser.  (This is in Windows 11 using a recently updated Vivaldi)

Hi all,

I also have the same problem and I opened a thread in a wrong section of this forum. Thanks @gazumped for let me know this is the one to manage this topic.

I contacted @evernotehelps account on twitter and they told me that this is a known issue and they are working to solve asap.

So it seems that this is not a device limit, either a cache or data problem. Let's wait some days before they solve it :-)

BTW.. I know this could be considered as a different topic, but I always thought that Web Client was not considered as a device for counting. Only heavy clientes (Windows APP or Mobile APP). In the Device page, you never see the device if you connect via Web browser.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
14 minutes ago, firmolari said:

BTW.. I know this could be considered as a different topic, but I always thought that Web Client was not considered as a device for counting. Only heavy clientes (Windows APP or Mobile APP). In the Device page, you never see the device if you connect via Web browser.

The web client has been counted as a device for some years and, more recently, the number of devices restricted to two.

hace 3 minutos, agsteele dijo:

The web client has been counted as a device for some years and, more recently, the number of devices restricted to two.

If counted, it doesn't appear in the device page list. This has changed. I remember to have my mobile, my personal laptop (with windows app) and connecting via web browser in my business laptop. All of them worked with the free user account. Maybe it was a bug just for me, but I worked.

BTW... If you have in your windows laptop a heavy client (Windows App) and the Web browser, how many devices are counted? Or even worse, if you use Chrome and Firefox in the same device, both are counted as well? I don't think so, but I could be wrong as I'm not an expert on this topic.

• Level 5

The web client counts as a device against the limit since October 2020. Maybe they forgot to up the count when the login into the web client was older. You can check since when you are using it on the devices page. Or it was a bug, in this case a friendly one.

The web counts as one device, no matter on how many physical devices, or browsers it is used. It shows as "Evernote Web" in the devices list.

Since today their web client is really good for many use cases, a solid setup for most users is web client + mobile client. Mobile is restricted to the physical device, no escape hatch on this count.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, firmolari said:

If counted, it doesn't appear in the device page list.

I cannot say for your account but if I open the devices page in my browser I see the web client listed as well as others...

image.png.518898a2676f125b395781904b1db26e.png

Web interface has never counted towards the two limit for me. Anyways, so...looks like it's an issue with the Web Classic interface? (firmolari)? And they're willing to fix that? That would be great...

p.s. for the expert user and the level 5 user on this thread and others, those helpful initial responses of "well it's prob your user error" (basically) or "it couldn't possibly be Evernote's fault because you're only one of the millions of users so how come they're not posting" (also do you know how annoying it is to even find/get to the Evernote forums? they don't make it easy, and it's not readily shown on the "Help and Learning" page), are really aggravating, and I think are the definition of gaslighting? I think the level 5 user has said the same thing on a past post of mine. I think we all appreciate y'all's help, despite being Evernote apologists and (clearly enthusiasts), but maybe you could just suggest options instead of the phrasings y'all currently use. Some of us are pretty computer and tech savvy, not complete newbies.

• Level 5

Yes, from discussions it may be it is related to the „classical“ editor. To solve it, one can activate the v10+ - checkbox in account settings.

General remark about all legacy products, be it an installed client or the classical editor of the web client: All of them are deprecated software, not maintained any more. As long as it works, we can use it, at our own peril. 

If there are bugs, like with the window size in the legacy MacOS client under Ventura, there are bugs, and they will not be fixed. And if it outright fails, like it may be the case here, it fails, and that’s it. You can only switch to the v10 client then, and continue on the new platform.

• Level 5

Maybe its a problem for some accounts, maybe it is related to a specific content.

I just switched on the classical editor, logged in - and it opened on my iPad in Safari, classical editor, no issues. Before I had opened it with the v10 client enabled, no problem either.

Weird.

Similar to another poster above, I subscribed so I can have direct support on this issue. The support person told me that Evernote is aware of this problem and working to solve it. I went back to the web access account info, and switched to the "new" version (which I hate). Yes indeed, web access now works. But when I switched it back to "classic," it stopped working and I got the "oops" message. Sigh. I love classic and hate the new version. I see from PinkElephant that classic may no longer be supported. Yet, support tells me they are working on it. If I can't get classic to work, I may migrate to OneNote. i don't know. Ugh. P.S. Windows desktop has continued to work. But I don't like the interface.

• Like 2
On 13/3/2023 at 12:43, Sonya2 dijo:

That's it. I also solved in the same way. It seems that the problem is due to the 'Classic Interface'. As soon as you move to the new one (you can do through Account Summary > Evernote Web), you can access your notes again.

I assume that this is what @evernotehelps  mentioned they were working on fix it asap. Or maybe this is just the best way to make users to move to the new I/F. I understand that maintaining different interfaces is more costly.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
58 minutes ago, firmolari said:

Or maybe this is just the best way to make users to move to the new I/F.

If Evernote are 'working on a fix' it may be that browser upgrades no longer support the code that the company used in that web view,  and it may come back...  Meantime other views are available so you can continue working...

On 3/13/2023 at 12:43 PM, Sonya2 said:

image.png.d3e7f5a1776064af564251dd7fd1686b.png

I confirm this worked for me too. Looks like they killed the classic interface but chose not to put a proper error message for it... Grand.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, 127.0.0.1 said:

Looks like they killed the classic interface

Or...

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

If Evernote are 'working on a fix' it may be that browser upgrades no longer support the code that the company used in that web view,

• Level 5

The classic editor of the web client is not maintained any more. It is deprecated, as are the legacy clients. I doubt anything will happen to fix it - the fix is to switch to the v10 client.

For me it is still not obvious what causes the problems. I switched yesterday back to the classical editor to try - and it worked for me. I can switch between classical and modern view, close and reopen, no issues. Using Safari on a Mac Mini M1, running Ventura.

Classic editor limps on!! I pursued this aggressively with support. Classic view has finally started working for me again. When I switched to the newer version, it did work for me immediately. But when I tried to switch it back to classic over the past week, it stopped working. Today, however, classical started working again for me.

• Like 1