Shareable links not working

dleach4512
Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Idea

17FEB22
Shareable links not working. While sharing info with a website designer, it was found that the link isn't working at all, it just gives an error.

image.thumb.png.6af299a10a567c76fd74ba3fda1618c0.png

I turned the sharing link off and then on again, issue persists.
Which suggests I'm missing another section of data in the URL.

37 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

There is at least one other thread on this going on. I note that your link is of the form https://www.evernote.com/l/.... The "l" suggests that it was created in the legacy (v. 6.25) program, which seems to be where the problem is. Take a look at this thread:

See especially this comment in the thread:

8 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

There is at least one other thread on this going on. I note that your link is of the form https://www.evernote.com/l/.... The "l" suggests that it was created in the legacy (v. 6.25) program, which seems to be where the problem is. Take a look at this thread:

Ahhhh, there is the answer! I am finally forced to upgrade to the newest version and ensure the awful UI they sent out.

Well... frak.

Thanks for the help, and the solution! :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Harry Slaughter said:

This is the moment many of us have been dreading, the eventual death of v6 and the indifference from Evernote for their long term users who want to see v10 bring back many of the features from v6 that were removed.

In my understanding, v. 6 hasn't died, it just doesn't produce usable shareable links. There's always the Web version if such links are needed.

Have you taken a look at v. 10 recently? I held out for over a year, but important features I needed did get added back in, and I upgraded and haven't looked back. As for the interface, well, that's a matter of opinion and preference. I happen to like the new one better.

• Level 5

It says the link is not complete, which is true if I compare it with a link I just generated for one of my notes (don‘t try it, it will not work, I modified it):

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s473/sd/9f7077b4-8573-zb8c-3gu7-44a87574e42a/aIydpyJPzfA59qnZqM5pu274xx0KbqQTdW7jDCh7X8bXq895mTxO5-3ZVQA

Even when modified, the structure is the same as the original one - you see that what you posted is much shorter.

Where and how did you generate the link you posted ?

Doesn't anyone read anymore?!?!!?

I included a link in my post showing the same answer in another post, and stating that there was no change.

I generated the link from the menu option to generate a shared link (this seems obvious to me as that's the only way to do so).

• Evernote Expert
5 minutes ago, dleach4512 said:

Doesn't anyone read anymore?!?!!?

Sure we do. But the problem is that some posters don't provide the information needed. Which application they are using? Which OS?

Ranting at others for not being able to read between the lines isn't helpful and unlikely to win you friends.

• Level 5

If it was created by legacy, I simply say „This software is deprecated“, and that’s it.

Even if it stops working entirely, there is nothing to be done about it. It would only mean that this dinosaurs feet finally get the message that the brain was blown away 2 years ago by a v10-bullet.

Disclaimer: I didn’t even bother to install this dead piece of code on my new MacMini last year, because there is nothing I would still need it for. So I can’t check myself.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

We are nice people, most of us, most of the time.

We just don’t enjoy our time and effort wasted by not delivering relevant information, even when we ask for it.

I completely understand! I absolutely detest when people ask me questions obviously already answered, you know, LIKE YOU JUST DID.

While I understand your efforts to argue, I do not understand the value, the point, or the premise upon which you wish to stand.

Please be sure to bring more wits to your next reply.

• Level 5

Maybe I can borrow some wits from you - oh, just read your posts here, I think I skip this idea.

At least I posted something helpful for you about how to enjoy modern software and at the same time keeping your nostalgic feelings warm and cozy. Nothing like a little heart warmer these days, eh … ?

• Level 5

Just for the statistics: 1 older post (without relevance here), 1 started this thread, dreadful short of relevant information, the 5 following didn’t contribute, but just got worse in lack their of content and bitching at others.

You are encouraged to do better, next time.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:33 PM, dleach4512 said:

Ahhhh, there is the answer! I am finally forced to upgrade to the newest version and ensure the awful UI they sent out.

This is the moment many of us have been dreading, the eventual death of v6 and the indifference from Evernote for their long term users who want to see v10 bring back many of the features from v6 that were removed. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is clearly communicated that legacy will get no new features at all - none, zero, nada. It makes no sense to complain about it, when it now happens, step by step. The further the v10 generation moves ahead, the less useful a legacy client will be. On the Mac it got already curtailed by the Ventura MacOS update.

It's v10, or any alternative. Sticking with legacy is no sustainable strategy.

• Level 5

This software is deprecated, nothing will be done about it any more. It works, as long as it does, if it looses a function, it is without, and when it stops, that’s it.

If legacy starts tomorrow to show all text upside down, you better train your headstand.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This software is deprecated, nothing will be done about it any more. It works, as long as it does, if it looses a function, it is without, and when it stops, that’s it.

If legacy starts tomorrow to show all text upside down, you better train your headstand.

Yep, we already know that, and it was never a concern or topic of this post.

Could you please tell me what question this response is supposed to answer?

"It was concluded that links created on legacy don't work in the new version. Fact, stated, done." WRONG.

Not only was this not concluded, it was not discussed, AND, it has never been a topic of discussion in this thread until you brought it up.

Would you please point out where, in this thread, you found that item?

"Since then you are ranting along here about v10 - which is not the point."

Would you please point out where I am 'ranting' about v10? All of the items I've posted have been in favor of moving on to v10, which I am embracing. 

Also, I'm quite certain you don't know what the point is, since you've missed it more than a dozen times. Nevertheless, if you'd like to point out the point, I'd be interested to see what you think the point of this thread is. 

"There is no way to restore deprecated legacy to an active status, and if you like or dislike v10 plays no role in making the links work again (they won't).

I didn't ask or request that; can you point to any of my text in this thread to show any support for your statement?

I would also like to see any place in this thread where my response suggests that I expect my opinion of v10 has any part in the role of making th elinks work again.

Can you point to ANYTHING I've said to support ANY of the items you've accused me of saying?

• Level 5
On 2/17/2023 at 4:23 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

And take a look at the thread I linked to.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, dleach4512 said:

"It was concluded that links created on legacy don't work in the new version. Fact, stated, done." WRONG

Well, but isn't that exactly the point made on that other thread, and referred to in this one? Whatever. As I understand the state of the discussion: share links created in the legacy app don't work anymore; that's a problem for people who have a lot of such links to deal with; but Evernote is not going to update the legacy app to produce the currently usable links.

I don't think the responses from that profile are worth discussing, it appears to be a troll, or something akin thereto.

Either way, it's still wrong, no on asked about links from the old version working in the new version, nor is that something anyone is likely to ask about, because that's not how evernote works.

• Level 5
On 2/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, dleach4512 said:
Shareable links not working. While sharing info with a website designer, it was found that the link isn't working at all, it just gives an error.

So, back to this original problem: could you use the Web client to create a link, and if so does that link work? Still the UI you don't like, but you wouldn't have to install v. 10 just to get links.

Why are you guys so hung up on what I do, or do not, like? 

Also, you might want to make a special note that this thread is already marked as resolved, more importantly to you, from the post YOU MADE.

I removed legacy, installed v10, tweaked the UI to my liking, and moved on. Now what?

I'm using this Evernote release 10.54.4-mac-ddl-oublic (3978) under macOS Monterey Version 12.6.3

When attempting to generate a shareable link, I get nothing...

image.png.639e438f3fd0230f28d145b8de4d0340.png

However, I noticed that I can generate a shareable link using the web client.

image.png.056d8b6839e532a729db69a7078a9a3a.png

The link is then available in the desktop client.

• Level 5

No problem to create a link for me:

image.thumb.png.6ee3d744820ac28c3d9e5c2436be703f.png

It looks like a malfunction. It can often be resolved by a simple logout of your account. Case this doesn't work you maybe need to replace the local database with a fresh copy from the server. Come back if the logout didn't do the job.

What should work anyhow if a link shows: Copy the link manually, paste it where you want (Mail, Messenger, etc.). Less convenient than copy link by the function, but it should do.

Thanks for posting a response...

I've tried both of your suggestions.  Sometimes, closing EN and re-opening will solve the problem for one link, then when I try sharing another link, the problem returns.  I've also tried uninstalling EN, along with all of its data, and re-installing and the problem eventually returns.

The only reliable workaround is to share links from the Web App.  😞

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, markdolph said:

I've also tried uninstalling EN, along with all of its data, and re-installing and the problem eventually returns.

Might I ask how you deleted everything? A standard uninstall leaves lots of potentially broken data which are restored when you reinstall.

Mac users will come back around and advise the program to use to get a clean start. On Windows we recommend Revo Uninstaller - there's is a similar program for Mac.

• Level 5

Since I never had a similar problem, no further ideas.

Maybe ask support if they know a fix.

P.S. @agsteele proposed a full uninstall. The app to do this on a Mac is called AppCleaner. It its available for free on the internet. Make sure to check all checkboxes before you uninstall.

If you currently run the AppStore version, I would reinstall using the direct install from the EN website. The AppStore version sometimes gives weird errors, which are caused by the sandboxed mode in which it executes.

Thanks all for the suggestions...

I use an app uninstaller that comes with Parallels Toolbox.  I've attached a screenshot of what it removes.  I think it does a pretty complete job... thanks for taking a look.

Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 5.56.16 PM.png

For me the problem is either intermittent or now solved! Yesterday I could not create links; today I can! I've not knowingly done anything to the desktop client so it may be a server function - and we know EN's server has good days and bad days!

• Like 1

EN on MAC (version 10.54.4)

I have this problem for about 2 days, I tried reopening EN, but I can't do the reinstallation for the moment.

The only workaround is to open web EN and do the sharing from there.

Maybe in the next update this problem will be fixed.