Note links generated by the API do not work.

P4T

Idea

It's been a couple of weeks since note links generated by the API stopped working. The API responds with a long link, however when clicked from inside note, "Note not found" response page comes up. Does anyone know a workaround or a solution?

Evernote2.png

Evernote.png

23 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hello, and welcome to the forums. Can you say some more about how you are generating the links that don't work? I find that links are working, whether I create them from within a note that I want to link, using the "Copy internal link" function on the ... menu, or from within a note in which I want to insert a link, using Ctrl+Alt+K.

EDIT: Forget this. I misunderstood the problem, which concerns shared note links, not internal linkes.

I have remarked a similar problem. If I use in the desktop app the option Share > Copy Share URL and I paste it in the browser I get a page not found error, as follows:

Oops, we encountered an error.

Sorry, we've encountered an unexpected error.

However, the link generated in the web version for the same note (which looks completely different) using Share will provide a correct link.

2 hours ago, Pierre Menard said:

I have remarked a similar problem. If I use in the desktop app the option Share > Copy Share URL and I paste it in the browser I get a page not found error, as follows:

Oops, we encountered an error.

Sorry, we've encountered an unexpected error.

However, the link generated in the web version for the same note (which looks completely different) using Share will provide a correct link.

Sorry I can't reproduce this. When I use the Windows desktop app it works as expected (ie "copy link" and paste into browser). The wording is a little different so perhaps you should check you have the most upto date version.

image.png.eb093258563c93a8593e12e9f97e5d1c.png

I suppose it is possible that you are doing it before it has syncronised to the server. You could rule that out by using an older note.

Thanks for replying Mike P.  Please look at the following screenshot of my very first note:

image.thumb.png.0d0a3c8fd3ba4a87b11787bb1a3c2889.png

When I paste the generated URL with this command I still get the error I reported earlier. Same result when I use the option you are using. My desktop application is version: 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

I did not have this issue until a few days ago. I have used this procedure a million times before.

Thanks for looking into it.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

@Pierre Menard I don't have an answer to your dilemma but I can see that you continue to use the old, now deprecated and unsupported, version of Evernote 6.25.

The website it likely to be delivering via the new v10 of Evernote.

As you may be aware, should anything fail with the so called Legacy version it will not be fixed and there is no support available other than to suggest you try the new v10 of the software.  I realise that this may not be what you want.  You will see that a shareable link from the v10 desktop is in the form of the web browser format you shared.  I've edited this link so that it doesn't go anywhere - just to share.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/7be9aee1-d979-af0a-0cba-1bb2c19c8a/dWQjKUlmVbjstwaAdqIJUlZhmRR52R7XI-3Vctt1tHE5qg3j1JI-oQ

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

@Pierre Menard I don't have an answer to your dilemma but I can see that you continue to use the old, now deprecated and unsupported, version of Evernote 6.25.

The website it likely to be delivering via the new v10 of Evernote.

As you may be aware, should anything fail with the so called Legacy version it will not be fixed and there is no support available other than to suggest you try the new v10 of the software.  I realise that this may not be what you want.  You will see that a shareable link from the v10 desktop is in the form of the web browser format you shared.  I've edited this link so that it doesn't go anywhere - just to share.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/7be9aee1-d979-af0a-0cba-1bb2c19c8a/dWQjKUlmVbjstwaAdqIJUlZhmRR52R7XI-3Vctt1tHE5qg3j1JI-oQ

@agsteele Thanks. I am aware of the version issue, I stick to the old one because last time I checked a lot of features had not been made available yet after the major reshuffle some time back. What I don't understand is why the links have stopped working all of the sudden, when I made no change to my setup whatsoever (at least that I am aware of). Weird. I can only think of some Windows update that somehow has interacted with my version of Evernote. But not nice when thing that have working for a long time do not work anymore...and without explanation.

• Evernote Expert

All sorts of changes are going on the background in relation sync.  It may (my guess) relate to that.  However, I doubt much testing will have been done for Legacy so whatever has changed probably hasn't been noticed.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I wonder what is „confusing“, but I am sure you could elaborate ….

You are right, I could elaborate. But I just won't.

As Evernote user since 2009 (Premium since 2011),  in the top 1% of note creators in 2022 and in the high tech sector since 1993 I think I know what I am talking about.

Little can really confuse me by now at least it is, well,...confusing.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sure, you could, and sure, you won't.

There have been reports about sharing problem sin the last days. To me it looks like one of these errors that some encounter, and others won't. I tried to reproduce, and came out blank. If this confuses you, fine with me.

Personally I think it is a glitch of some server machines on which EN is dislocated (AFAIK several users share the same physical server). We had something similar a while ago where some users couldn't send email any more. It showed that on each of theses servers a mailserver operated - and when it went down, it took the mail function of a number of otherwise unrelated user accounts with him.

So confusing from one perspective, an operational issue from the other. Restarting the Mailservers did the trick, at least this was reported here.

If this is similar, it should solve itself in a little time.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, Pierre Menard said:

I can only think of some Windows update that somehow has interacted with my version of Evernote.

The problem is located on EN server site. Links to shared notes like https://www.evernote.com/l/... stopped working. Maybe this is by intend to force users to generate links in EN10. But it would be a unserious act because it makes thousands of links unusabe even if they have been generated in the past...

I cannot believe EN to work in this manner. Hope they will repair their server configuration. 🙏

Just now, AlbertR said:

The problem is located on EN server site. Links to shared notes like https://www.evernote.com/l/... stopped working. Maybe this is by intend to force users to generate links in EN10. But it would be a unserious act because it makes thousands of links unusabe even if they have been generated in the past...

I cannot believe EN to work in this manner. Hope they will repair their server configuration. 🙏

Thanks, for your input AlbertR. I share your hope.

i use the 10 version but continuously encouter this error, quite annoying. some publicly shared link copied and work for sometimes, and just a few minutes later it no longer work. i doubt, whether it is caused by editing the note after its link is copy? when the note is edit, then its link changed?

image.png.2d824d47e15f40834ac2f02b5a7936f9.png

• Level 5

Shame yourself - you are using a deprecated software, and expect anything to work ?

The legacy clients are not supported any more. Install the current software from the website, and use it. If you have the same problem there (I don't, and I share a lot), you can contact support.

For the legacy client there is no support, no bugfixes, no nothing. If it stops working, or shows deficiencies, you can live with them, or quit using it.