Evernote Helper high CPU usage

• Level 5

No need to fix anything, because I don’t think anything is broken in first place.

Usually ALL EN processes together use 1% of CPU when idle. When they go up, they are crunching on something.

I had my MacBook Pro sitting around for a week now, working on my Mac Mini. When I opened it now and started EN, the Helper went to 20-30%. That‘s always „Percentage of 1 CPU core“, not of the total CPU. 

It downloaded all new notes and other edits I did while it was offline. Took 10 minutes, and then fell off.

We can’t know what’s in that update. I would wait for CPU usage to settle down by itself.

I have the same problem after the last update. My M1 with 16GB RAM and 250/250 megabit internet connection has one cpu core at 100% for hours today. The process that consumes all the CPU is "Evernote Helper (Renderer)".

10.52.8-mac-ddl-public (3911)
Editor: v164.0.20364
Service: v1.64.1

• Like 5
  • Level 5

It may happen that after an update something needs to be rearranged in the local database.

If it takes minutes or hours is of no concern - these computers are build to compute, you know.

If it does not stop after a day or so, I would simply log out of my account, quit the app (only closing will not stop the background processes) and maybe restart the Mac once.

Open EN again and check. If it still runs on high CPU without reason you can contact support (if on a subscription).

I also updated to 10.52.8 on my windows 11 PC, and the CPU usage is consistently 40% over when the evernote is running. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, however the situation has not changed.

Attached file is a log file which the evernote outputed.

This file shows the situation which something wrong, and following errors are discovered.

boron:WindowController Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'MAESTRO_UPGRADE')
app://evernote/5543.js

and

boron:WindowController Uncaught Error: Cannot retrieve config value before instantiation.

I think this problem might be a bug, so I hope that the bug fixed app will be released soon.

evernote_log_after_reinstall220122_error_msg.log

• Like 2

I've been having the same problem since upgrading to 10.52.8. Evernote Helper (Renderer) stays above 100% CPU usage at all times with the CPU running very hot. Ran it collectively for approximately with no reduction in CPU usage. Also, noticed that a total of 4 Evernote Helper (Renderer) are running and consuming more than 1 GB of memory combined. Tried upgrading to the latest OS to see if this would address the issue, but no luck. Also tried uninstalling and re-installing as a last test.

Letting it run for hours, let alone a full day, is not an option because the CPU temp immediately rises to damaging levels.

I have opened a support ticket and sent logs but am posting here in case anyone finds a fix.

• Like 7

To say this is simply normal behavior after an update and it is okay for an app to use up an entire CPU core for hours on end when its just idling in the background is just apologist, sycophantic nonsense. The "Evernote Helper (Renderer)" process is not indexing anything at all in this case.

This is a bug that was introduced in the last 10.52.8-mac-ddl-public (3911) update. Clear and simple.

• Like 9
  • Level 5

If you believe it is a bug, you will be able to issue a support ticket yourself.

Will be that fun sort of ticket for the support guys coffee break: Somebody claiming it a defect when the software is using the resources of the computer on which it is running.

Just to mention it: EN on my Mac 10.52 / Ventura is just idling along, with appr. 1% of CPU when I am not actively using the app. But I wouldn’t be concerned if it would be more, for a while.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:06 AM, TGraftaas said:

What is going on? What changed in this latest update? How can I fix it?

What have you already tried? Stopped and restarted Evernote? Restarted the Mac? Logged out back in?

It has been a couple of days since you posted. What is the latest -- were you able to get it resolved?

I'm having the exact same issue with my M2 MacBook Air (with 16GB RAM). I've already tried to log-off, restart etc but nothing worked. Honestly that's a massive problem, the computer is constantly overheating and if this is not fixed I will have no other choice but to stop using Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, remy_ said:

if this is not fixed I will have no other choice but to stop using Evernote.

Have you contacted Support?  If this is a new installation you might be seeing the initial set-up activity as Evernote creates its own indexes and support files,  but if it continues I can understand you'd want to find something that isn;t so processor intensive.

12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Have you contacted Support?  If this is a new installation you might be seeing the initial set-up activity as Evernote creates its own indexes and support files,  but if it continues I can understand you'd want to find something that isn;t so processor intensive.

I'm in touch with the support, let's see what they say. But honestly I don't see what I could do, seems like a bug of the new update...

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Let us know please - the fact that there are only a few comments about this suggests it's not a bug,  but Support will be able to look into it.

Quick update following my discussion with the support team:

• They suggested that I rename the folder "Evernote" into "Evernote.old" in the "Application support" folder (I suppose that deleting the folder would have had the same impact). When I opened again the app and logged-in, a new "Evernote" folder was created, which I guess is a bit like forcing a new, clean installation. This did not solve the problem, the CPU was still used like crazy and the computer was still overheating.

• They suggested to wait a bit and try to install the app again if things were not improving. I actually did it immediately, by logging-off (+ choosing the option to erase data from my device), deleting the app and re-downloading it, not from the Evernote website this time but directly via the Apple store (does this make a difference ?). The problem seem to be solved now!!! :)
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you believe it is a bug, you will be able to issue a support ticket yourself.

Will be that fun sort of ticket for the support guys coffee break: Somebody claiming it a defect when the software is using the resources of the computer on which it is running.

Just to mention it: EN on my Mac 10.52 / Ventura is just idling along, with appr. 1% of CPU when I am not actively using the app. But I wouldn’t be concerned if it would be more, for a while.

You would not have been concerned if you had had the data of the screenshot constantly, 5 days in a row ? (solved now)

Before.png

• Like 2
3 hours ago, remy_ said:
[Evernote] suggested to wait a bit and try to install the app again if things were not improving. I actually did it immediately, by logging-off (+ choosing the option to erase data from my device), deleting the app and re-downloading it, not from the Evernote website this time but directly via the Apple store (does this make a difference ?). The problem seem to be solved now!!! :)

Thanks for the solution @remy_. I did the same and it finally resolved my issue. I've also been in contact with Evernote via a support ticket but nothing worked until I tried this. I'm not sure if it was the signout plus erase data or if there is difference between the App Store and direct distribution, but regardless, these steps solved my problem.

As an aside, all forum advice to not be concerned is bad advice given that the high temps we were dealing with are actually destructive to the CPU. I can only assume that the overheating comments were overlooked.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, samrogers said:

I'm also having the same problem. I tried @remy_solution of logging-off, delete the app and reinstalling from the apple store but not difference. Normally my m1 macbook 14" can last for at least 8 hours now it's getting drained in 2 hours

@samrogers When you signed-out of Evernote, did you choose the option that reads Remove my Evernote data from this device before clicking the Sign Out button?

8 hours ago, MrTredway said:

[Evernote] suggested to wait a bit and try to install the app again if things were not improving. I actually did it immediately, by logging-off (+ choosing the option to erase data from my device), deleting the app and re-downloading it, not from the Evernote website this time but directly via the Apple store (does this make a difference ?). The problem seem to be solved now!!! :)

By clicking the option to "erase data"- will that really clear out all of my data. can I save the data and re-download from Apple?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kakers said:

will that really clear out all of my data

Yes

1 hour ago, kakers said:

can I save the data and re-download from Apple?

You can opt not to delete the data,  but you can't save it elsewhere and 'reinstall' it later - Evernote will recreate everything it needs from the server copy of your data.

1 hour ago, kakers said:

can I save the data and re-download from Apple?

I misspoke:

I didn't mean to 're-download' the data, I meant, will the data stay on my computer?

after I redownload the EN app from apple.

Instructions above say to choose "erase data from my device". I am still a bit confused about whether the content is safe or not.

@remy_yes I did choose the option that reads Remove my Evernote data from this device before clicking the Sign Out button. 

@kakersif you choose "erase data from my device" you can get it back whenever you want as it's stored on the evernote cloud if that's what you're worried about.

I've downloaded and am using the legacy version of Evernote and am not having any energy impact/cpu drain so something is definitely up with the latest version of evernote (at least for macbook pro m1s!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, samrogers said:

@remy_yes I did choose the option that reads Remove my Evernote data from this device before clicking the Sign Out button. 

@kakersif you choose "erase data from my device" you can get it back whenever you want as it's stored on the evernote cloud if that's what you're worried about.

I've downloaded and am using the legacy version of Evernote and am not having any energy impact/cpu drain so something is definitely up with the latest version of evernote (at least for macbook pro m1s!)

What version are you at now?  and what is cpu metrics now? i am getting 48% on my m1

@efan i'm on 10.52.8-mac-mas-public (459684)
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

and i'm getting 138% on my m1.

but if i quit that specific renderer the next highest renderer is around 18%.

evernote seems to run fine if i quit that power sucking renderer so this is my workaround for the moment if i want long battery life!

i got mac m1 pro 16 gig mem.

cpu was 49%.  what i did to solve the problem

logged out of evernote delete all files.  

uninstall Evernote from applications.

then downgrade 

THE FIX

evernote downgrade 10.50.9
https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/86810763

all evernote cpu services down to less then 1%...

Can the Evernote developers properly test their new releases... can't have CPU over> 30 constantly!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, tmpuse said:

I also updated to 10.52.8 on my windows 11 PC, and the CPU usage is consistently 40% over when the evernote is running. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, however the situation has not changed.

Exactly the same for me, on Windows 10. The latest release hammers CPU usage.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, kakers said:

I am still a bit confused about whether the content is safe or not.

Provided your data is synced to the server,  the data on your local device is only a working copy of your database.  If you delete it,  Evernote will rebuild it in full from the server.  If you don't delete it,  you'll keep a copy which may be corrupted in some way,  possibly causing your current usage issues.

• Level 5

From what was described as solving the issue, I think it is all related to a corruption of the local database.

It happens on all desktop clients, and it is solved by dumping the existing local database or a complete reinstall, which as well downloads a fresh copy from the server.

Did not have the issue, on 2 different Macs. Both use approximately 1% CPU (which always is measured as 100% = 1 core busy) when idle.

30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

On my Win 11 PC Evernote is running but currently showing 0% CPU usage.  What exact version number are you on?

hmm interesting! I'm on:

10.52.8-win-ddl-public (3911)

Em 22/01/2023 at 11:24, tmpuse disse:

Attached file is a log file which the evernote outputed.

This file shows the situation which something wrong, and following errors are discovered.

boron:WindowController Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'MAESTRO_UPGRADE')

and

boron:WindowController Uncaught Error: Cannot retrieve config value before instantiation.

I think this problem might be a bug, so I hope that the bug fixed app will be released soon.

evernote_log_after_reinstall220122_error_msg.log 13.93 kB · 2 downloads

I've the same problem here.

Always on 20% CPU usage, started at last update.

Tried Evernote installed from Windows Store and website.

Tried Remove Evernote, erase synced cache and reinstall.

Evernote 10.52.8

Windows 11 22H2 (22621.1105)

Hope for a solution, because this is very annoying and make me considering another note app.

Hello! Ever since the last app update, I have been having the CPU issue running really high in Windows 11 as well. I have uninstalled/reinstalled (from website), signed in/out, and no changes. Are there any other suggestions? Has this been reported as a bug? Thank you for any updated info!

thanks, @efan!  your dump and downgrade strategy worked for me too.  Good luck to others dismayed by the overheating.

I'll add a few observations as data points:  Evernote was consuming quadruple the 12-hr power of any other apps, and the fan would kick on within moments of starting it.  The problem definitely started with the 10.52.8 update.  I'm on a 2020 MacBook Air, 1.1 GHz i5 processor, 16 GB memory.My database is small, mostly text, few attachments or images, so the rebuild was essentially instantaneous.

• Like 1

Just chiming in here to say that I've got the same issue with 10.52.8 on my iMac 5k (3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5). 

I was using a previous version of Evernote this morning without issue.  I was prompted to relaunch Evernote to install 10.52.8 and the problem started immediately thereafter. 

Hoping for a quick resolution to this one, I'm sick of hearing the fan on my iMac spooling up. 

@PinkElephant

Honestly your attitude toward all the pleas for help is really not constructive and it feels condescending 

We're not a bunch of losers and spending time on a forum trying to make head or tail about this issue is not a time well spent if you keep doubting what we all keep telling you : version 10.52.8 is faulty, and it needs to be fixed. My fan is thru the roof also!

I'll revert to 10.50.9 until someone believe us and fix 10.52.8

Yes yes I'll open a ticket

:(

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
47 minutes ago, johnnygoodface said:

version 10.52.8 is faulty, and it needs to be fixed.

Less than a dozen people have commented here,  and Evernote users number in the hundreds of millions.  Not all of those are Apple users,  and many may not have updated to v10.52.  However 12 reports do not a crisis make - especially when one contributor found a way to fix their issue.  Please try the quoted fix(es),  and if that doesn't work,  contact Evernote Support. If it wasn't already obvious,  that's not us - we're mainly users.  Evernote are the only people with the ability to try to replicate this situation.  If the rest of us don't see an issue,  that's the only comment you'll get here...

• Level 5

I am running 10.52 on 2 Macs, one Intel, one Apple Silicon, both on Ventura, and on both the total package of EN processes use appropriately 1% of CPU while idle. It goes up to maybe 20-30% for a short moment when I use the app, but it settles back down pretty fast. This does not mean that on your machine might happen something else - but it clearly speaks against the update being defective in general.

The heated (sic, and mostly incomplete) postings here in this thread will not help to identify the additional factor that makes your CPUs going into electrical heater blower mode. And since you are as well more interested in pointing fingers at others, than the boring collection of facts, it will likely go on for a while. Your post is watching out to spread blame, not looking for solutions. 

I can just hope that EN devs are able to make sense of the log files they hopefully have received with the support tickets. No, I won’t help on this, because I have no high CPU log files to share. Which again shows that the update in itself is harmless.

@PinkElephant

It's not because you don't experience the problem that it doesn't exist. That's all I'm saying.

And it's YOU who are pointing the fingers at all the other saying there's a problem and you keep repeating over and over that all is working fine on YOUR computers. 

We get it you're good and better then us. You are NEVER wrong. Others are. Gooood for you.

It's the worst tread I've been onto and all because of you.

No respect what soever for others

Enjoy your life, I'm out of it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Good you are out. I don’t see any positive information from your side that would have brought this mystery any further. Just hope you contacted support AND provided them with a good activity log.

I still think it is trying to perform an action on the local database, and in some rare cases runs into a loop. This is the only explanation why it happens after an update and only for a few users.

If it is this root cause, erasing the local install is the way to solve the problem. Would not be the first time with v10 that the local data corruption would play a pivotal role.

Hi everyone, so i was still getting high cpu on render, around 40 pct on mac version 10.50.9.  (downgrade) post above.

I opened a win10 laptop core 7 9 gen fast machine-  evernote services were only  1 to 2 pct.  it was version 10.39.6(3451)

I installed version 10.39.6 on my mac m1 pro 16gig

now render service is down to 20% CPU.  it still syncing files i'll update everyone tomorrow. 

you can log out of the account and make sure to delete the files in mac and grab that version.

https://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/old-versions/

windows version can be found

https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions#:~:text=If you need a rollback,to download at no cost

Causes

i think one issue i have links to documents in google drive. Which it maybe seems to try to open this high CPU?

Everyone please open a ticket with Evernote support so they can resolve the issue.

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem on both of my PCs. It started after I installed 10.52.8.

On one, I have the EN version, and on the second it's PL.

The second PC is an i7 and it's also idling at around 30-40%

There is obviously a bug in this version!

Screenshot_-_2023-01-25_11-58-51.png

Screenshot_-_2023-01-25_11-54-21.png

Screenshot_-_2023-01-25_11-53-49.png

13 hours ago, efan said:

Hi everyone, so i was still getting high cpu on render, around 40 pct on mac version 10.50.9.  (downgrade) post above.

I opened a win10 laptop core 7 9 gen fast machine-  evernote services were only  1 to 2 pct.  it was version 10.39.6(3451)

I installed version 10.39.6 on my mac m1 pro 16gig

now render service is down to 20% CPU.  it still syncing files i'll update everyone tomorrow. 

you can log out of the account and make sure to delete the files in mac and grab that version.

https://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/old-versions/

windows version can be found

https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions#:~:text=If you need a rollback,to download at no cost

Causes

i think one issue i have links to documents in google drive. Which it maybe seems to try to open this high CPU?

Everyone please open a ticket with Evernote support so they can resolve the issue.

Thank you so much for the Uptodown site info, efan! Downloading the previous version on Windows worked for me. Will wait to allow any updates until I know this bug is fixed. Hope more have the luck I did! Peace...

• Level 5
1 hour ago, the508seal said:

I'm not here to solve problems. I'm a paying customer for 12 years and simply reporting a problem that was reported and fixed years ago.

that's my definition of pathetic. 

Reporting in the forum to get a problem solved is pointless - just other users here. Only a support ticket can bring an issue to the attention of the devs.

A Problem that may be related with the latest release can’t be a problem reported and fixed years ago - that is simply nonsensical.

Since reverting to 10.50 solves it for those who have it, the code in question is weeks old, not years.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

I have yet to get a response on my ticket submission from yesterday.

Given that Evernote have a whole-numbers percentage of the population of the planet as users,  I don't think they aspire to return-of-email service for support calls any more - although you should have immediately been allocated a ticket number when your support request was received. If you're in the queue,  they'll get to you.

As I noted above,  I'm told that Support are aware that some users have an issue with the Mac update,  and they're looking into it.  Meantime there are work-arounds.

• Like 1

Had to temporarily downgrade to a previous version BUT it seems upgrade is mandatory on restart. Will try to see what happens.

Mac Os 12.6.1 on a MBPro 2019 full of ram.

Back to silence again from downgrade is appreciated.

The helper didn't even go down when the machine was in sleeping mode, only way was to quit evernote… 😕

Does anyone know how to NOT upgrade on restart ?

• Level 5

You can try this without uninstalling:

In app settings, uncheck the "Keep data when leaving" checkbox. Log out, quit the app.

Restart the PC. Open the app again, log in.

This should have a similar effect, although some settings remain on the PC. I am not sure this will work the same, but it is no effort to try.

• Thanks 1

Long time, happy Evernote user here. I recently upgraded my Intel MBP i9 to Ventura 13.2 and had this same issue: Activity monitor showed Evernote Helper (Renderer) constantly pegged above 100% CPU, with laptop fans running constantly. I followed the advice early in the thread and moved the Evernote folder to Evernote.old, deleted the Evernote App in Applications, and re-installed it from the Apple Store. It worked! The problem is gone. Thank you!

Here's a one-liner Terminal command to move the Evernote folder, in case it helps anyone:

mv ~"/Library/Application Support/Evernote" ~"/Library/Application Support/Evernote.old"

Do that then delete the Evernote.app and re-install from the Apple Store.

That is really just a rehash of what folks are doing above, but I believe it's the fastest, most reliable method. Thanks everyone!

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In app settings, uncheck the "Keep data when leaving" checkbox. Log out, quit the app.

This should have a similar effect, although some settings remain on the PC. I am not sure this will work the same, but it is no effort to try.

I can confirm that this solution works. (Windows 11)

CPU-usage to normal levels after doing this.

No need to install a previous version.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work for me on Windows.

I unchecked preferences -> application -> keep a copy of my notes on this device at sign-out. Rebooted, started Evernote and CPU usage is just as high.

Fingers crossed for a fix soon, as it's also difficult for me to downgrade.

• Level 5

Thanks for all the feedback. From where it works it seems that a corrupted local database was the culprit. „Corrupted“ means that a piece of bad data got written into the database - nothing the user can influence.

With v10 the only way to correct it is to wipe the local database and load a fresh copy from the server.

If this didn’t do the job, I would completely wipe the current installation from the PC/Mac. The OS uninstaller is not up to this. On a PC use Revo Uninstaller, on a Mac AppCleaner. Both are available for free on the internet.

After wiping restart the computer, download EN again, install and log in.

If after this anybody still runs into high CPU while EN is open but NOT used, only a rollback will do. When open AND in use, a significant CPU level is normal. Depending on the computer it can be 20-30%, or on weaker ones maybe 70-80%.

Windows 11, fast desktop (Intel i7-12700, plenty of RAM) - one of the Evernote processes sitting at around 13.7% CPU usage for over 4 hours now. 

That Evernote process has used over an *hour* of CPU time so far, the highest usage by a mile - I'm not using the machine for anything intensive today, but just compare to Outlook's 55 seconds for comparison - and Outlook isn't exactly optimised). 

Tried fully uninstalling including all cached content, databases etc and re-installing from Microsoft Store. No change. 

image.png.fab8a0101eb9727306582c778b19aa55.png

image.png.087531787edc9f930f19980e2d4d81a2.png

image.png.4eef0b1c5976c8f5b89e1c353c17acee.png

I have the same problem. My MacBook Pro is usually hardly ever starting the cooling fan. Since I have Evernote desktop app version 10.52.8 the MacBook is cooling all the time when the app is open. There must be an issue with the version. So please Evernote programmers look for the reason.

I am having the same problem.

My macbook's fan gets real loud within 5 minutes of opening the app.

Specs:

Evernote 10.52.8-mac-ddl-public (3911)

Macbook Pro 16-inch, 2019, running macOS Menterey 12.6.1

Hope this gets fixed. I've been opening Evernote to quickly jot down notes and then quitting the app to avoid this problem. Rinse and Repeat. This is not a sustainable solution.

• Level 5

It is normal that after an update, something may be reorganized. This will lead to some CPU usage, and anything in the 10-20% range is nothing to talk about. The percentage is measured per core . 14% on one core is 2% of six cores (just as an example), hardly anything to mention. It may stay on this level for a while, reorganizes the local database and fall back again.

The thread was started by CPU usage in the 100% range. This means a core fully occupied in single core mode.

This is what we are discussing here. The best current workaround seems to be to remove the local database, and start with a fresh install. Because (just to mention this again) there are users like myself who have run an update, and after a short while CPU usage of EN idling (started, but not used) is around 1% CPU, for all EN processes added together. This means that the update in itself is hardly kicking in the CPU alone - there must be an additional factor, like a corrupted local database.

Add me to the list of impacted users.

Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019) w/16GB RAM

Evernote Helper (Renderer) instance shows ~125% CPU and has 6 out of 12 CPU cores very active, as well as causing the fan to run; closing the EN app or killing that one helper process fixes the CPU $ fan issues (and EN app doesn't seem to be affected by the stopped helper).

UPDATE: I misstated / corrected my CPU cores.

• Thanks 1

Recently started having this very issue on both of my Macbooks (old machines with an Intel processor).

Just moved the application to the Trashbin, then reinstalled from App Store on one of them. It seems to have fixed the problem (at least for now -- knock on wood)

It's a real problem. I've tried all of the stated solutions - I wouldn't mind the % 132+ CPU if it weren't for the nasty continuous fan :) Not to mention the energy drain.

I gave the update several days to kick in. Still no change

I tried signing out / deleting local data; restarted; reinstalled - didn't solve problem.

Tried stopping one of the EN helpers - which helped - but imagine you'd have to do that every-time!?

@PinkElephantwhile I understand this may seem illogical to someone who is tech-savvy  - people do have a real problem after that update and hunting for workarounds isn't normal customer experience. Users shouldn't have to deal with debugging. This can't be presented as normal / expected app behavior.

Macbook Pro (i9 w/ 16GB)

I have signed out, uninstalled Evernote completely with uninstall tool, restart mac m1 and install fresh copy downloaded from the site. EN keeps running 150% when inactive and like DBDemiGod suggest killing the EN helper which eat 150% of the CPU seems to have no effect on EN and solves problem. Definitely an EN bug.

In comparison the "Legacy evernote 7" app made for Intel CPU is using much less. So for the native m1 app, 150% all the time  (m1 pro!!!) is insane perfomance drop

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Do they not monitor their own forum? I’ve never seen a dedicated app forum where staff arent participating in their own forum. 

Hi.  You have now.  This is a mainly user-supported Forum where other users like me use their experience to offer suggestions and comments to others just starting out.  Evernote staffers do keep an eye on things,  but they rarely contribute.

If you are a 6-year subscriber you're entitled to contact Support who will be glad to correspond with you directly and keep you informed.  You'll get an immediate ticket number followed by an actual human in a few days,  depending on how many requests they're dealing with.

From my own experience running a support team (not for Evernote!) I can say that finding the cause of an issue often takes days or weeks - fixing it is much quicker once you know what you're dealing with.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

I’ve seen free apps with better support to be honest.

This 'impactful' glitch has affected less than 20 users out of the 200 Million or so existing Mac and Windows accounts.  Given the range of user kit out there,  it's quite usual for new releases to go through a few quick updates to avoid individual cases that the testers didn't (and couldn't) see.

Evernote do monitor these forums,  but they're here for feedback and suggestions,  not to interact with users in a public discussion.  I see you started a support request a few days ago,  so you should be hearing from them very soon.  I did not say that support was slow,  or useless - getting a response to individual issues within a few days is pretty standard these days.  Reporting issues to Support makes sure they know about them quickly and get access to user logs to investigate (and fix) problems as soon as possible.

I can understand you're frustrated with the situation,  but it will get fixed - and there are several work-arounds suggested above.  Up to you if you want to convert over to a different system.  Personally - though I was very resistant at first - the new version has grown on me.

• Like 1

Same issue here on Windows 11 w/ EN latest client build 3911.

Interestingly enough, this was a fresh install onto a brand new PC. Definitely think there's a bug lurking in 10.52.8 with local/cloud db management leading to corruption. Worst part is the corruption is lurking silently and issue manifests as dramatically elevated cpu utilization.

I am coming from legacy app version 6.x and this is not a good first impression.

• Like 1

I have been working on this issue this morning. Look at the pictures attached. I opened a terminal and typed in kill (PID Number) for the EverNote Helper (Renderer). For now, this has corrected the issue. My battery usage is back to normal, and my CPU is no longer running at 90%.

My next step will be to write a script whenever I open EverNote; it will kill the processes. My only issue will be that the PID will change each time. 

I am with everyone else. This is a BUG in the software and needs to be fixed. 

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 6.03.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 6.03.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 6.25.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 6.26.27 AM.png

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Based on what?  The people that have come here?

...And the fact that there are others running both Mac and Windows versions of the app that do not have the issue.  I'm on Windows 10.52 and my Evernote CPU usage is minimal.

- Plus with tens of millions of users now on this version,  you'd think that every forum would be inundated with complaints - yet these (plus those others who annoyingly open separate threads on the same issue) are the only ones I've seen...

• Like 1

I too have incredibly high fan operation in an effort to cool the computer when running Ev10.  Both the legacy and the web versions do not cause a problem.  I will wait a while for an update to fix this before trying the complete uninstall and reinstall fix.  I am glad to know there appears to be a fix.  In the meantime I will use  Legacy or the Web version.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
28 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Speaking of caring, I really don’t care what you and gazumped have to say.  So stop quoting me.   

I sometimes quote users who’s advise should not be followed. Just to make sure it is clear who is meant.

There is a workaround that applied once solves the problem (at least I haven’t heard different yet, and got some positive feedback).

So anybody can decide between changing to another service out of not following sound advise (which I personally regard as pretty silly, but everybody’s entitled to his individual little foolery), or simply make a full uninstall using an uninstaller app, restart and reinstall.

Just to mention: I have nothing against switching solutions because another supports the personal use cases better. But it usually is bad advise to switch because of running away. This is the case here, so I post my opinion about it (including a quote).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

While Evernote has been making very little improvements, issuing bugs, and raising prices...

:) Last quote,  I promise.  Please stop making hugely inaccurate statements to scare others into following your example. 

Evernote completely rewrote their original package a couple of years ago and have since then issued 50+ updates to include various features that were all user requests.  Everything from to-do lists,  to calendars and presenting the same UX to users on any device.  Some users may have had problems with some of these features for a short while but Evernote (AFAIK) have always come up with a fix.  We're here to help those who might not know about work-arounds to find a way to manage their systems until that fix arrives.

As to 'raising prices' - they've carried the same price level for years.  They're subject to inflation like any other company.  And unhappy users can always vote with their feet,  as you just did.  It's a shame to be so impatient though - with new owners and (maybe) new management coming in,  who knows what features the app will include this time next year! 

Like many others I'm happy with Evernote,  which has fewer hassles for me than a few others - I think I have 5 trouble tickets running with various other support teams at present.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a workaround that applied once solves the problem (at least I haven’t heard different yet, and got some positive feedback).

Now you're hearing different.

I tried the workaround (on W11) and it didn't work. Signed out, had it delete the local data, rebooted, signed-in again, waited a while for sync to finish, observing 17-22% CPU usage continuously on an i9 with 32GB. Fan won't shut off.

• Sad 1
On 1/28/2023 at 4:52 PM, NotePilot1969 said:

(...)

I just want a simple, reliable note app. Past updates have been virtually uselsss. Now we are at the point where an update breaks the app.

(...)

Exactly what I think. EN was a simple and reliable multi-platform note app, but it is being extended with unnecessary features that make it slower and unreliable. If it evolves to become OneNote, why not simply use OneNote...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Everybody here complaining picked EN themselves. 

So what are you guys complaining about - your own bad choice ?

Besides there is always this „unnecessary features“ claim. As usual, none is named, and as usual this is discussed from the „I, I, I“ perspective. What one user may find not useful can be at the core of his use cases for another.

So, just tell us here: What are this „unnecessary“ features ?

31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So, just tell us here: What are this „unnecessary“ features ?

Oh that's easy!

• Tasks and todos: unnecessary for a notetaking app
  • Calendar connectivity: unnecessary for a notetaking app
  • Scratch pads and pinned note widgets: unnecessary for a notetaking app
  • Note templates: completely unnecessary for a notetaking app

Don't get me wrong - the core note-taking features of Evernote are great, along with multi-platform availability and web clipper. But everything on this list is nonsense that other apps do better if you need it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

various features that were all user requests.

As I remember,  most of the requesters were quite insistent that "no serious note-taking app" could possibly survive without (insert preferred feature here)...

Hey there,
I have the same issue on Windows 10. I tried to log out with removing notes, then close the app, restart laptop. Did not help, so I will try to wait for the investigation. I read here that support ticket is already created, so to not create another one, could somebody post the link here? Would be support helpful. We cannot solve it here, so we can even stop the thread and all of us having issue can continue there and provide relevant data to developers.

Thanks

• Level 5

Not so easy:

• Tasks are mainly build to make notes actionable - the use as a task manager for other uses is a goodie on top. Actionable notes are a real step ahead. Just one example is to build your own CRM, with a note for each lead / customer, and tasks to control the next actions. Plain task managers lack the integration of all of the information related to a task. In EN the task shows up, you open the note, and have everything you need in a blink. You add the next information, set the next task(s), and move in.
  • Calendar connectivity: Many users use EN to take meeting notes. The utility of a calendar link is obvious.
  • Pinned notes: A feature I use very often - a note holding useful links and text blocks for this forum is pinned there 😎
  • Templates: See meeting notes, see habit tracking, see CRM, see … it can be mimicked by a „Template notebook“ holding useful notes for duplication, but the templates are the faster solution.

As I said, when one explores it with an open mind, the usefulness just jumps into your face. Of course more specialized apps may do a very specific job better. But they often lack other features that are all under one roof in EN.

Take the CRM example: If you start your own business, you are good to go with EN within minutes to build your customer relation engine. A „real“ CRM will cost significant money, add a learning effort when you should focus on your business instead, and is likely pure overkill for what you need.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Thanks for sharing your profound experience. I strongly believe EN staff would be most thankful if you would send it to them by the feedback function. There was rarely so much praise in a so painfully elaborated sermon. At least you went through pains to be able to write it …

Just a remark: Apple Notes comes for free, but it requires an Apple device (or better several - or even better make yourself a fanboy, get it ALL), and this comes - hrrrm- not really for FREE. And to make use of it, add an iCloud subscription, the 5 GB FREE won’t carry you far.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

As I said, when one explores it with an open mind, the usefulness just jumps into your face.

You make a good case for the potential usefulness of these features, but we're talking about necessary features.

This is subjective, of course. For me, being able to use the desktop app without overheating my latop is necessary. Reliable sync between apps is necessary (I regularly get the sync delays and duplicate notes too).

I'm not expecting perfection here; bugs and glitches creep into every service. And you're a user and not an EN developer, I know. But in my subjective opinion, this issue should have warranted a fix already, and it's understandable that users are wary of what might go wrong next.

• Like 1

I have tried replacing the Evernote folder and also reinstall the app removing the data, but unfortunately 100+% Evernote helper still present after 24-48 hours.

Is there any other solution already? It is quite frustrating...

Sounds like some people only want Evernote to focus on their own specific set of use cases and what they think that is should also be the same for everybody else. "My use cases are important and everything else is extra cruft and that's a fact!" (Edit: not talking about an app eating CPU cycles -- that's a given, but this thread has also strayed from just that specific issue.)

Also - on topic - FWIW - I'm fortunate enough to not have the issue discussed in the thread.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Uhh no. The point is pretty obvious that the fluff comments are pointless when the core arguments come without proof, just adding opinion on wrong statements (like the new clients can’t show a problem since 5 years, their initial release was little more than 2 ago).

Nobody is probably happy about an increase in prices. So be a man, withstand the extortion and switch to a service that suits you better.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I wouldn’t exactly call it a bug when a corrupted local database leads to a enhanced consumption of computing power.

That the local data is the problem is demonstrated by the fact that once it is replaced by a fresh copy, the CPU usage is back to normal, with the same software as before.

As it was for most users who updated without any problem. Since the issue was located on the user’s computers (this does not mean it was their fault), the situation was likely not caught by QA measures.

And still: All the hype around this CPU thing is vastly exaggerated. It never put the user data or account at risk, and anybody had the option to use the web client until the failure mode was detected and solved. By all means this is a minor issue, compared to bugs that have a real relevance.

But if you don’t have an elephant when you need one, all you can do is pump so much hot air into a moskito until it swells to an elephant’s size.

• Like 1
On 23/1/2023 at 23:19, efan dijo:

i got mac m1 pro 16 gig mem.

cpu was 49%.  what i did to solve the problem

logged out of evernote delete all files.  

uninstall Evernote from applications.

then downgrade 

THE FIX

evernote downgrade 10.50.9
https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/86810763

all evernote cpu services down to less then 1%...

Can the Evernote developers properly test their new releases... can't have CPU over> 30 constantly!!!!

Altough it is just a "workaround" it seems that downgrading to 10.50.9 solved the issue for me almost inmediatly, as the other alternatives were not working...

Thank you!

• Like 1