Evernote Helper high CPU usage

I have the same 100% CPU usage after upgrading to 10.52.8 on macOS. The quality of the product is disappointing especially after going through the rewrite a number of years ago and expecting better. There's simply no way to explain this away with "local corruption issues". Hundreds of users suddenly have their local data corrupted after an update. Give me a break.

PinkElefant you can shut up, we don't need your corporate propaganda on top of the issue we have with the software.

As far as my experience, I have reinstalled Evernote and cleared local data, but the high CPU remained.762436081_Screenshot2023-01-30at1_44_55PM.thumb.png.8358dc22c1e12f1b6273b6ba6df40b11.png

There's also no network activity from Evernote, so the download of the notes is complete.

I guess I'll just need to continue enjoying the beautiful music of the fans. Thanks Evernote!

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I hope you did.

Now all is missing is yourself erasing this forum account. Good EN offers such excellent content export, the faster the better. BTW something to watch out when picking an alternative. Most offer nice import routines, but the export sucks.

• Like 1

PinkElefant, what is your contribution to this thread? If you're not having an issue why do you not go and enjoy your life?

Your 1% CPU argument amounts to nothing. Just do that to a bank customer for your software: "But sir, on my side I cannot reproduce your problem ..."

BTW, if you had better Karma you wouldn't have believed in Karma.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

For the avoidance of doubt I just deleted the last three posts in this forum since we're getting to silly name calling and well away from the point.  Play nice please - the Forums have a code of conduct and that the intention here is to give folks an opportunity to post requests,  suggestions and technical queries where other users can comment and offer relevant assistance.  Sniping and personal comments are no part of that.  If another user offends you it is possible to ignore or report them.  The forum Admins will deal with all reports. 

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

For the avoidance of doubt I just deleted the last three posts in this forum since we're getting to silly name calling and well away from the point.  Play nice please - the Forums have a code of conduct and that the intention here is to give folks an opportunity to post requests,  suggestions and technical queries where other users can comment and offer relevant assistance.  Sniping and personal comments are no part of that.  If another user offends you it is possible to ignore or report them.  The forum Admins will deal with all reports. 

Can you also delete all the posts of PinkElephant ? It looks like his only contribution is to be condescending, disrespect people, tell them that their problems are not real and imply that they don't know how to use a computer. 

Are we sure that this guy is not paid by a competing company ? It seems that he is trying to give the worst possible image of this forum and Evernote in general.

• Like 3

I may have stumbled across a solution to the high CPU usage, at least for me (Windows 11 user, as per my previous post), posting here in case it helps others who don't have a workaround.

I disabled "check spelling while typing", quit and restarted Evernote, and noticed I was back to an appropriate CPU usage (<1%).

image.png.c6b9c71d55970a994ea3ec45f8624dbc.png

Re-enabled the setting (it's handy 🙂), been about 45 mins and CPU usage is still perfect and stable when I'm using the app or not.

YMMV!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, remy_ said:

Are we sure that this guy is not paid by a competing company ?

OK - for the last time.   Requests,  suggestions and technical queries,  plus  comment and relevant assistance.  Evernote are pretty relaxed about the content here as long as we can all behave like grown-ups.  @PinkElephant I'm sure,  is "just" another user who has posted solutions and help. 

22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Everybody here complaining picked EN themselves. 

So what are you guys complaining about - your own bad choice ?

Besides there is always this „unnecessary features“ claim. As usual, none is named, and as usual this is discussed from the „I, I, I“ perspective. What one user may find not useful can be at the core of his use cases for another.

So, just tell us here: What are this „unnecessary“ features ?

I agree that everyone has it’s own view that doesn’t necessarily correspond to the majority. I disagree it’s our bad option: I did it 15 years ago, for what EN was at the time. 

Example of feature not working well: synchronization between devices. I have only 2 and EN is always creating duplicates because it doesn’t sync well.

Examples of useless features (IMHO):

- Tasks - we have calendars for that

- Home - we only need a list of tasks that we can order by some criteria and with tags

- Connection with Google Calendar 

- Templates

I’m thankful for the work the EN team does; I just think they are putting more effort in what is less important.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Miguel C. said:

I’m thankful for the work the EN team does; I just think they are putting more effort in what is less important.

As I've mentioned a couple of times here:  if you check the forums you'll find that everything (AFAIK) that Evernote  has added so far has been at the request of users.  The company has more users than most countries have people if this population chart included Evernote they'd be in the top 5.  You can satisfy some of the people...

• Like 4

Strange but good... I hadn't used EN desktop (Windows) for a couple of days due to the issue and have been using web interface instead.

I opened it up this morning to try the spelling setting (thanks McEwan for suggesting) but didn't need to - CPU usage absolutely normal. I've left EN open since and all fine.

I haven't changed anything, no update or downgrade and problem seems to have gone away. Maybe something done at the server end? I'm not complaining though 😁

33 minutes ago, jasondn11 said:

Strange but good... I hadn't used EN desktop (Windows) for a couple of days due to the issue and have been using web interface instead.

I opened it up this morning to try the spelling setting (thanks McEwan for suggesting) but didn't need to - CPU usage absolutely normal. I've left EN open since and all fine.

I haven't changed anything, no update or downgrade and problem seems to have gone away. Maybe something done at the server end? I'm not complaining though 😁

Same here with EN desktop for Mac! Yes! Working fine now.

25 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

They currently have 90 million active users. 
https://siliconangle.com/2022/11/16/22-years-founded-evernote-acquired-italian-technology-company/

It appears their peak was around 200 million in 2016. So over a 50% drop is pretty telling. With the recent price increases and extensive competition, I assume the trend will continue. 

In the context of the article, I think that number refers to Bending Spoons active users and not Evernote.

Spoons advertise 90 million active users on its home page.

• Like 2

Following up on yesterday, the CPU usage is back to normal without doing anything. The issue was indeed server-related as someone else mention. Is there anyone that still has the problem?

Note: I do have spell check enabled and I haven't touched it.

hace 17 minutos, bcalmac dijo:

Following up on yesterday, the CPU usage is back to normal without doing anything. The issue was indeed server-related as someone else mention. Is there anyone that still has the problem?

Note: I do have spell check enabled and I haven't touched it.

Solved here without doing anything extra, it seems it was server related...

I have got the answer from the customer support team.

Let us wait until this issue get solved.

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Evernote. I'm Justine, and I'll be assisting you.

I understand that after the latest update, Evernote has been consuming high amounts of CPU causing your fan to constantly run. Thank you as well for the screenshot of this.

I wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue, and that our engineering team is working to get this addressed as soon as possible.

As a temporary workaround, you can use Evernote Web or install the Legacy version of Evernote.

I hope this helps. For future questions or concerns feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Justine C.
Customer Support

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

No official acknowledgement of the issue.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:13 PM, Woody_Kor said:

I have got the answer from the customer support team.

Evernote do not usually respond to Forum posts,  but they do reply to Support requests.

I did not downgrade and quit the app instead of leaving it in the background. Opened it up yesterday and the issue stopped happening so I am not sure if there already was an update in the background. I am on a 14" M1 Pro with Ventura 13.1 for reference.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2/4/2023 at 6:18 PM, bitcloudrzr said:

Opened it up yesterday and the issue stopped happening

Glad it was resolved!  Hopefully everyone is back to business as usual - maybe if someone raised this with Support they will know more about the cause...

I have the same problem, it should not be using half of what chrome is using when it's doing 1% of the work! It used be double what Chrome was but recently has died down a little. Even Docker uses less power... 

image.thumb.png.17919ec9b13b8ed7cbd9aff84d3351dc.png

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, McEwan said:

I may have stumbled across a solution to the high CPU usage, at least for me (Windows 11 user, as per my previous post), posting here in case it helps others who don't have a workaround.

I disabled "check spelling while typing", quit and restarted Evernote, and noticed I was back to an appropriate CPU usage (<1%).

Re-enabled the setting (it's handy 🙂), been about 45 mins and CPU usage is still perfect and stable when I'm using the app or not.

YMMV!

Whoa, I've been struggling with EN hogging CPU for years. It was constantly around 10% even when minimized, I had to explicitly close it whenever I wasn't using it. Tried every single fix out there to no avail. Super annoying.

Well - disabling spellcheck TOTALLY SOLVED IT:

image.png.d2447f4adaa7d32ebd9c7f758382ed19.png

Crazy. Team Evernote: please look into your spellcheck, and give this man the MVP award while you're at it.

• Level 5

My spell checker is enabled, EN client (all processes) in total needs 3% CPU.

That‘s my regular experience, on 2 Macs, 1 Intel, 1 M1. There is nothing to take care of, in general.

If you have a specific problem with your install, I would uninstall (using the app AppCleaner) and reinstall from the EN website. If this doesn’t help, contact support.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone finds this discussion and this might help them:  I shut EN down because it was using a lot of CPU, but background processes continued.  I restarted it with the intention of finding and disabling "spellcheck while I type" but EN installed a new version before starting and it is not using a lot of CPU.  I imagine it upgrades itself whenever I restart it, and I don't restart it often.  It seems quite plausible that if you leave EN open, and something on the server changes for a new version, the change might trigger something that causes the old version to use a lot of CPU.

EN usually interrupts me to say it is going to install a new version (as soon as I click "OK" if I remember correctly), so maybe I didn't see that this time.

• Level 5

Thanks for your thoughts, I think it’s possible if you fall behind in updating.

The updating itself has been changed some releases ago: There are no more pop up update messages any more - many users were criticizing the messages popped up in the most inconvenient moments. The update is now loaded in the background, and in the left panel a message box appears that a new version is available. You can decide when to install.

The installation is usually very brief, because all the downloading has already been done before the update message shows.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Recommending you ditch this garbage application and try one of the many, better notes apps is about as constructive as you can get. 😀

You seem to have joined the forums a few months ago mainly to complain about how little you are able to use the app.  If you prefer to use third-party software,  please go ahead - but spamming here is just going to annoy other users.  Please don't.  Genuine requests for features or help,  or work-arounds to help fix things -that don't involve using third-party products- are welcome.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

It was back then an issue experienced by a few users (who claimed it would be widespread, but there were not many joining the thread, which speaks against it being a widespread issue). It disappeared after an update.

Hard to tell if the current postings are "the same" (30 releases later ...), another issue, or again a piece of corrupted data stuck on an individual install, causing the client to loop.

Support can probably find out, provided with an activity log.

• 4 weeks later...

Also having this issue. EN and helper app are running at max overtime for hours whether I'm engaged with the app or not. It is quite aggravating. EN goes rogue regularly. I love EN but is inexplicably slows everything else down. I find myself cringing whenever I open it these days. I've procrastinated looking for a replacement guess I need to stop procrastinating. 

• Level 5

You most likely have a bug in the local database, that forces the app into a loop. Regular CPU usage is below 10%, maybe briefly peaking in the 20s when activities happen.

The easiest way is probably to log out, quit the app and then remove ALL parts of it by using the app AppCleaner. A normal uninstall using MacOS will NOT do the job. Then restart the Mac, and download the app installer from the EN website. Install, open, log in.

Keep the app running for a while, it needs to download and rebuild the local database.

thank you I'll give it a go. The app was completely unstable till fairly recently I uninstalled and reinstalled. The app was literally wigging out as if it was in two different dimensions. It worked fine for a few weeks then began to use 100 plus percent of CPU. Thank you  for the advice. 

@scubayagi I've experienced these CPU spikes, and the Evernote render processes taking up a lot of CPU on my mac. And have reported it to support multiple times. As @PinkElephant mentions it seems to be related to some local data, and in particular related to Tasks as far as I can tell. I've experienced that I can't save a task from the tasks details box with the desktop app, even though I've completely reinstalled, and where it works fine on the web client. I've also reported this. 

My solution has been to use Unite to create a Evernote Web app on my mac, that basically just loads the web version of Evernote. It works fine as a temporary solution until 10.59 comes out -- or whatever versions comes out, that fixes this data issue.

image.thumb.png.e72125c2db540b7e7c86e53d0373c345.png.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a comment here to say that I had this exact issue. High CPU utilization (100%) for hours and hours, after an Evernote update.

Mac OS Ventura 13.4.1 

Evernote 10.58.8

What fixed it was:

Remove Evernote, and select to remove all your data (as described in earlier posts)

Then uninstalled Evernote entirely from the system (Note: Used App Cleaner to uninstall).

Reinstalled EN from App Store.

All is well now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/24/2023 at 9:57 PM, Omfo said:

Toggling the "spell checking as I type" option in settings, then restarting Evernote seems to have solved this issue for me.

Thanks this helped for me too! Been a longtime Evernote user, and really frustrating to see the app taking 80% of CPU causing the laptop fans to be on as well as draining the battery. For my use cases (pretty basic notetaking) the app has been getting worse, not better, with successive releases.

For high CPU use, especially on my MacBook Air - which has no fan - I have the habit of keeping an eye on Activity Monitor to see if any app is burning the CPU needlessly. I was surprised to find Evernote doing this for no apparent reason. Anyway turning off spellchecking and restarting the app fixed this, so thank you very much! 

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, mrkmax said:

I've been delaying installing the new version of Evernote for a few years due to performance issues, and I agree with earlier users that the easiest solution is to install the Legacy client.

However, it appears that Evernote will be forcing users off the legacy client at the end of March so I was curious if anyone has solved / mitigated these performance issues on the Mac so that the new version is usable. 

I was considering upgrading my machine which only has 4MB of RAM; however, other users have reported 16MB of RAM and still encountered the same performance issues.

Any advice? 

Thanks!

-mark

Advice?  Please don't double post.

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Advice?  Please don't double post.

Guilty!!! :D My apologies. I'm consider dropping about $4K on a new Mac and trying to get some feedback if that's going to be money well spent. No excuse though; it won't happen again. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

All answers were already posted in this thread. Please read before you repeat.

Plus you received an answer on your parallel post.

The forum admins are mostly not staff, but fellow users who try to organize a way of posting that allows later users to understand a threat that may be of interest to them.

• Like 1