Shortcut for opening a note in a new window

Atirez

Idea

It is useful to be able to open notes in a new window, instead of always in the current window. One common workflow for me is to have a single note open, and to use searches, or notebooks, to open related notes. The related notes should be opened in a new window so that they can be seen side by side.

At the moment you have to double click from the note list, or right-click and open in new window. Also note that double clicking first opens the note in the current window and then opens it in a new window.

Consider adding CTRL+CLICK, or when navigating in keyboard through searches (such as when you have used CTRL+Q) to allow CTRL+ENTER to open the note in a new window.

• Like 4

11 replies to this idea

I'm also a big fan and user of opening notes in new windows too. I made a post over in the Mac feature request forum about it, but they all apply to the Windows version too since it's exactly the same in this area.

6 hours ago, Atirez said:

or when navigating in keyboard through searches (such as when you have used CTRL+Q) to allow CTRL+ENTER to open the note in a new window

Also, doesn't CTRL-ENTER already open the note in a new window when a note in the note list has the focus. Or were you specifically talking about if the note editor has the cursor? (Like my #3 from that other post?)

8 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I'm also a big fan and user of opening notes in new windows too. I made a post over in the Mac feature request forum about it, but they all apply to the Windows version too since it's exactly the same in this area.

Also, doesn't CTRL-ENTER already open the note in a new window when a note in the note list has the focus. Or were you specifically talking about if the note editor has the cursor? (Like my #3 from that other post?)

I like all of your ideas too. Basically add a keyboard shortcut and be able to do it from anywhere in the application would be my request 😊. Yes you can hit CTRL+ENTER on the main note list, but not like you mention in #1 on the "switch to.." overlay.

+1

I just need the same function, just as you describe it @Atirez. It Would greatly improve my workflow in evernote

In evernote 6 we had the shortcut ctrl+enter and it worked great.
In this version it would be great to have the same ctrl+enter keyboard shortcut to open the note in a new window, as well as having the ability to open the note in a new window from the ctrl+q dialog

3 minutes ago, carlosgm said:

In this version it would be great to have the same ctrl+enter keyboard shortcut to open the note in a new window

Ctrl+enter still works as does double clicking the note in the notelist.

Ctrl+Q opens notes in the weird "no note list panel" view. The only option then is the three dots menu or the note menu.

• Like 2
hace 2 horas, Mike P dijo:

Ctrl+enter still works as does double clicking the note in the notelist.

Ctrl+Q opens notes in the weird "no note list panel" view. The only option then is the three dots menu or the note menu.

you're right. Ctrl+enter opens the note in a new window.

It would be great if it worked from anywhere (e.g. the note body, the ctrl+q dialog), not just from the notes list.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, carlosgm said:

It would be great if it worked from anywhere (e.g. the note body, the ctrl+q dialog), not just from the notes list.

And: Allow us to open notes from outside EN in a new note window - like Legacy had an option:
image.png.b9de2306b26bd183a79417f0e879cf0d.png

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

... the weird "no note-list panel" view ...

Is the worst choice ever - we loose the important note list - why?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, carlosgm said:

Not really sure I want ctrl+enter to do something in the body of the note - that might be very confusing. I do think however a key board shortcut for open in new window would be helpful, and it seems like an obvious omission. I actually use authotkey to give me that functionality..

Worth pointing out perhaps that ctrl+clicking an internal link opens the target note it in a new window.

In the old days (EN6) ctrl+enter opened the note in a new window, and for me it was never confusing, in fact it was very useful.

The shortcut can be changed, the important thing is the functionality.