50 note limit, just go ahead and kick me in the nuts evernote

i know this has probably been beat to death but what's another thread gonna hurt.

just why? what has kept me with evernote since 2008 is the mass managing of thousands of notes and clips. well it's pretty pointless when you can't even tag for than 50 notes at a time. this has to be on purpose because it's so asinine.

while we are at it, notion released in 2016. evernote released in 2000. evernote had a 6 year jump on notion and nothing has really changed when i think about it in evernote. 

i have been going back and forth for the past few years wondering if i should migrate, but it's getting harder to accept these design flaws. and i emphasize design flaws because after 22 years of development we can't apply tags to more than 50 notes.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, monkeygrip said:

while we are at it, notion released in 2016. evernote released in 2000. evernote had a 6 year jump on notion and nothing has really changed when i think about it in evernote.

"Nothing has changed in Evernote since 2000" ... Then why are there so many threads bee-hitching about all the changes in version 10? Sheesh. Apparently you and I both have too much time on our hands.

• Like 1

if people complaining about the current state is a sign of success, i really got to shake my head. and that's regardless if the feedback is positive or negative.

i have no time on my hands to be in this forum keeping my fingers on the pulse of evernote's dev cycle and features. to me the past few years have been trying to put lipstick on a pig. the home screen is of absolute no use to me. if others like it more power to them i am glad they are getting the features they are finally getting features they want.

i'm not bitter about that or whining that time could be better sent. i'm no dev. i am just a long time user that feels knee capped. i have 10,000 notes and i can't tag more than 50 at a time? i mean come on. 

in closing seeing that your level 5 status kinda gives you a product ambassador title, your tone was just off. i know mine is slightly abrasive but i am a customer and you are company representative. you should have just given me the corporate jargon, "i'm sorry for ________. i'll be sure to pass the issue onto the devs."

• Level 5

You see the word "Staff" on any of our badges ?

No, you don't. This means: We are other users, not staff. We dedicate time here to help fellow users, and to learn some new tricks ourselves. No money involved, and we are not paid to plaster your ego with some phrases from the corporate book of nice sounding sound bites.

So if somebody like you is coming here, posting this ... just go ahead and kick me in the nuts  ... he should not be surprised if we take it quite literally. Hey, this guy needs some help !

Since you are so great and still asking to be treated like a china doll, you will for sure find out yourself how to lift the 50 notes limit - if this is for what you came here in first place. Just tell you: It is possible, and for somebody computer literate (as you claim for yourself) it should even be easy to perform.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, monkeygrip said:

i have 10,000 notes and i can't tag more than 50 at a time? i mean come on.

Assuming, in the midst of some inconsistency and misinformation, that this is what we're actually here to talk about....

Can you say some more about how many notes you would like to be able to tag at once? Is this part of a reorganization, or the acquisition of a large amount of new information? I can imagine scenarios where it would be desirable to give that many notes the same tag at one time, but to my mind they would be fairly rare.

good idea, thank you. i was starting to heated. and that's not my goal.

i actually over estimated. i have 8,300 notes dating back to 2008. for backup purposes i started tagging notes by year, 2008, 2009, etc. then export notes this notes by year. when i export my enex it's about 30gb. (i wish there was a way to scan for duplicates, but that's for another day.)

i apologize to you

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just tell you: It is possible, and for somebody computer literate (as you claim for yourself) it should even be easy to perform.

i knew it was possible before i started the thread. it was not hard at all.

but all this went right over your head..... why do i have to do command line kung-fu to get to MY data? why does evernote limit features to so many notes? it feels like evernote is just serving up reasons to bail.

and i don't want to leave, i have all these integrations, scripts, etc. i've built up 22 years of my life in here so pardon me if i am a little touchy over my notes and data.

in closing, you are one of the most toxic users i have come across in a long time. go outside and eat some fruit.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, monkeygrip said:

good idea, thank you. i was starting to heated. and that's not my goal.

i actually over estimated. i have 8,300 notes dating back to 2008. for backup purposes i started tagging notes by year, 2008, 2009, etc. then export notes this notes by year. when i export my enex it's about 30gb. (i wish there was a way to scan for duplicates, but that's for another day.)

i apologize to you

All good. That does seem like the kind of scenario where large-quantity tagging would be useful. But clearly (as I understand it) it's for purposes of retrospective reorganizing/archiving, which is not something that is done on a daily basis.

I have no idea what the command line kung fu is that is involved in tagging >50 notes, but perhaps for infrequently done specialized use cases it's not wildly unreasonable.

OTOH, it is hard to understand why there needs to be any limitation on the number of notes that can be selected at once. If it's something internal to how Evernote operates, perhaps as v. 10 matures they will fix it. If it's a matter of keeping users from making a mistake on a large number of notes ... well, there are lots of ways to do that anyhow, and I dislike having my hand held. But that's only vacant speculation on my part.

It would be interesting to know the reason for the limitation. As far as I can see, Help & Learning never mentions the limitation. The page on exporting to ENEX mentions that "Evernote currently supports exporting up to 50 notes at a time," and perhaps the two limits are related. I note the word "currently" and hope that indicates that the limit will be lifted at some point.

At any rate, I doubt that they're really just being obnoxious so we'll leave. I mean, I've been married for 50 years. I'm not that easy to get rid of. 😁

8 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

it's for purposes of retrospective reorganizing/archiving, which is not something that is done on a daily basis.

i can understand that it might be a limited use case BUT over time i would think that more and more tools would be added for users to interact and work with their data. a long time gripe of mine, that we don't need to go over, it's an example. why has their never been a tool to find and delete duplicates? it shouldn't be that hard, EN's got big brains. one thing i was brainstorming was export for evernote, import into another app and work with it as a database which probably has a standard tool to remove duplicates 😉 then reimport back into evernote. that's pretty lofty but that's the kind of stuff user's shouldn't even have to think of to work with their notes.

exciting post edit: i found my solution, Evernote Legacy. why didn't you just say that? lol

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

FWIW, I know that the 50 note limitation is being worked on. Since other long requested things are probably higher up the queue.

The limit was, I think, needed because of the changes with v10 which meant that sync takes place live and in the foreground. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Also FWIW,  Legacy is still available,  and on Desktop it doesn't have any limitations on selections or moving.  (Although if tagging or moving a LOT of notes,  leave lots of time for the sync catch the server up...)

• Like 1

thank you @agsteele

@gazumpedi just discovered this. i had no idea it was available. as long as it syncs eventually i'll deal with it. see, i don't really "work" in evernote so i am kind of getting the gist that maybe the direction EN is going is to get people into evernote and have them keep working in evernote. and that really doesn't mesh with my needs. which is fine, i don't feel overlooked but i do feel left out with things like the 50 notes limit while we get a home screen with widgets. tbh i was initially insulted with the 50 note warning and that's why i came off like i did.

i just want a dumping ground for my bookmarks, important documents, images, pdf's, zip files, and the occasional note i create from scratch. and most of all a flexible system for organizing that can be easily adapted if i decide to organize differently in the future.i've stuck it out this long and i'm probably not going to jump ship like i was thinking yesterday. notion is overkill, standard notes is just weird, joplin feels like evernote 2010, which was good in 2010 but it's a little simplistic 2022. apple notes, not going to go there, obsidian i really like because i am fond of plain text, but it's not good on mobile and quality clippers are few. it to is kind of overkill and TO hands on. dendron, foam, etc. i've tried them all i think at this point.

i think i have just about exhausted myself and vented my frustrations. sorry.

• Like 2
On 10/12/2022 at 12:08 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If it's a matter of keeping users from making a mistake on a large number of notes ... well, there are lots of ways to do that anyhow, and I dislike having my hand held.

oh. that is a gem 😉 

i absolutely do not want hand holding to be part of my user experience. this may sound strange but i want tools that are dangerous cause they are the ones that give you power and control over your data to do what you want.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, monkeygrip said:

i want tools that are dangerous cause they are the ones that give you power and control over your data to do what you want.

I'm with @Dave-in-Decatur in that I dislike the overly nannyfied "are you sure?" ... "are you absolutely certain you want to do this?" type of warning that can't be nullified by a "don't show this again" checkbox,  but while operating totally without a safety net may speed up an experienced users' processing,  that level of control could be disastrous in less safe hands - and given that a lot of folks in the forums can't seem to log into their own account without help (present company excepted...) we'd be handling a lot more shouty complaints about lost and corrupted data without some reasonable level of checks and balances.

I'm happy for Evernote to take their time and get everything sorted out within their comfort zone while we report areas where that "don't show" checkbox should be applied.  It'll even itself out sooner or later.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

FWIW, as it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread (but hinted at by agsteele), the limit on how many notes can be selected at one time has been officially raised to 100 in the 10.50 release: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833-Evernote-release-notes. Doesn't seem like a high enough number to avoid getting kicked where it hurts tho.

Also, there is still a manual configuration tweak that can be done to make it go even higher.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:50 AM, monkeygrip said:

i have been going back and forth for the past few years wondering if i should migrate, but it's getting harder to accept these design flaws. and i emphasize design flaws because after 22 years of development we can't apply tags to more than 50 notes.

Wanted to mention that one of the reasons this is a pain point (aka 'flaw') for some, like OP, and not for me personally is that when a software tool has a feature then people just might actually use it and start to depend on it. (Crazy I know.) Sorting notes by tag or file size or selecting more than 50 notes at a time -- those were all features that existed, but that I never really used personally -- so I don't feel the pain of not having that now because it's not something that I personally ever needed with my usage of Evernote. It's not uncommon for software to evolve and change though. With v10 it was just a much more drastic change... more like a swift kick you already got then a little bump or jostle.

But here we are. Now is just as a good a time as any to re-evaluate if the tool is still right for you or not.

• Level 5

Actually EN is not build for URL management. It saves the source URL on clipping, the desktop web clipper even allows to save a bookmark only.

It is possible to build a library of bookmarks, saved in notes, but I think there are other tools better prepared for this specific job.

The strength of EN is not saving URLs. The strength is in saving clipped websites, as they had been in the moment when clipped. Even if the website is changed later at the source (moved behind a paywall, for example), the clip remains.

An URL will show the changed content - which may be nothing at all, if the URL is now blocked or was removed.