Can you add a document to an existing noteless task in EN (ios, v10 windows or web)

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

If I create a noteless task within EN eg: directly from the Tasks module, is there any way to attach a document to it after it has been created?  If not this may be a downside to creating tasks in that way.  When you create a task from the module there is a little icon which allows you to "Add new task".  Next to it are three dots which gives the option of "New note".  If you select "Add new task" it creates a noteless task and I don't think you can add any documents to it later.  If you select "New note" it gives you the ability to create the task within a note and therefore allow you to add documents or anything else as needed.  I"m beginning to really appreciate the value of adding documents to Tasks and therefore would probably not be creating tasks that are not contained within a note (unless the task was something like "take out garbage").

• idoc changed the title to Can you add a document to an existing noteless task in EN (ios, v10 windows or web)
  • Solution

Tasks created from the task module get added to your "Default task note" (so technically there are no noteless tasks) -- see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003792141-Tasks-Overview for more info on that. So you could add an attachment or some note info to the default task note (for that task you just added) or you could move that new task from the default task note to a new note (at any time later) and add more info there.

In my case, my default task note is called "Task Inbox":

image.png.4380b377039abd87361f7d805757c69f.png

image.png.1eda33e08193065a2da7cdbe76e8b10f.png

On 9/16/2022 at 9:53 PM, idoc said:

...and therefore would probably not be creating tasks that are not contained within a note

yeah - this is me too. 98% of my tasks are part of an existing note that has more detailed info regarding the task -- I only have a few in the default task note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

IMHO the Tasks note is a place to quickly dump my random thoughts about things to do.  When I need to add details or actually deal with the issue,  I can move it to a new (or an existing) note to continue.  Doesn't seem like there's anything lacking in the process here.... ??

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

For me, tasks that go in the default task note are mostly individual actions that I just need a reminder for. They have little context. Eg: 'Book appointment with dentist'

Like @gazumped it is also the place to capture an action that doesn't, yet, have any context. Once I have context I move the task to that note or, very occasionally, I add a note link to the task in the default task note.

For me, the real power of Evernote tasks is the ability to create and connect context. So a note with content that contains the connected tasks can also be connected to the calendar. I think it was @Stacey Harmon who helped to recognise that notes are the starting place for both tasks and calendar. :)

• Like 2

So if i have a task that says “make appt for dentist” that’s pretty easy. Let’s say a week later I receive a pdf image eg: molar xray that i want to show the dentist on my upcoming visit. I can not quickly attach that file to the appt. Had i created a note that was titled “appt with dentist” i could have attached that pdf into the note. When this happens (and it has happened several times as my tasks increase into projects) i need to re-do the entire task as a note. The last time i did that i erased the noteless task, replaced it with a note/inserted task, appended the files and then duly inserted the WRONG due date by mistake. No more noteless tasks for me unless it’s something like “take out garbage”(i don’t do that anyway). 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
23 minutes ago, idoc said:

No more noteless tasks for me unless it’s something like “take out garbage”(i don’t do that anyway). 

I think that's what I was saying. The dentist example was intended to be fairly context less but you were able to illustrate the point about context well.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A related question re: those "noteless" task notes (default task notes):

One of my clients has a Tasks note for all of 2022, just a brain dump note to keep track of all the moving parts. She has 255 tasks in there currently. She called me freaked out that that Tasks sidebar showed the tasks but they didn't show in the actual note. Over our Zoom, I showed her that all the tasks were indeed in the note. But we also noticed that they were listed very randomly. Some newer tasks were further down the list of tasks. The completed (crossed out) tasks had moved them down.

So, my question is can that Tasks NOTE be sorted or organized in any way? I couldn't see a way to do it . I'm hoping someone else has run into this and has a solution. For now, I told her to just concentrate on using the Tasks sidebar when she needs to find the current tasks. She usually adds them to the note (hence the mixed up order of tasks there).

Thank you!

@Brittany N. @gazumped @Stacey Harmon @agsteele @DrFrankBuck @AmethystProductivity

Here's what I do: I never add a task randomly outside of a note. I have a monthly note where all of my tasks go. So, for instance, now its' OCTOBER. (Then I have another larger Brain Dump one in which things are not time sensitive and I don't worry about due dates on it. )

Within that note I have delineations:

Personal
Business
Errands
Phone calls
Waiting for response

And I'm always careful to add new tasks at the top of those sections. 

In order to sort by date, I will use the TASKS sidebar. 

• Like 2

The "Things to Do" note is just a holding tank. My understanding is that it's not designed for anybody to work from. Your client should think of it like that closet that is stuffed with stuff and that you never, never open.

• Like 1
On 9/17/2022 at 4:53 AM, idoc said:

If I create a noteless task within EN eg: directly from the Tasks module, is there any way to attach a document to it after it has been created?  If not this may be a downside to creating tasks in that way.  When you create a task from the module there is a little icon which allows you to "Add new task".  Next to it are three dots which gives the option of "New note".  If you select "Add new task" it creates a noteless task and I don't think you can add any documents to it later.  If you select "New note" it gives you the ability to create the task within a note and therefore allow you to add documents or anything else as needed.  I"m beginning to really appreciate the value of adding documents to Tasks and therefore would probably not be creating tasks that are not contained within a note (unless the task was something like "take out garbage").

All you equire to do is, when you receive the PDF create a Note and attach the PDF.   Then find the relative Task, open the menu and move it to the note you have the PDF in.

21 hours ago, Sandeelynne3 said:

So, my question is can that Tasks NOTE be sorted or organized in any way? I couldn't see a way to do it .

You're correct @Sandeelynne3 – there is no automatic way to sort or organize multiple tasks in a note (including the default task note). You need to manually control the order through workflow design and consistent habits (such as @AmethystProductivityhas done). That's the solution given how the tool works now.

To your point, however, I see lots of customers struggle with tasks that are on the default task note as the volume of tasks gets large, and as items get completed (which means active get co-mingled with completed tasks). I think this is represents an opportunity for improvement in the app and tasks feature. We discussed this and brainstormed some ideas and use case issues around this during today's ECE office hours call – you might find the replay interesting!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stacey Harmon said:

To your point, however, I see lots of customers struggle with tasks that are on the default task note as the volume of tasks gets large, and as items get completed (which means active get co-mingled with completed tasks). I think this is represents an opportunity for improvement in the app and tasks feature. We discussed this and brainstormed some ideas and use case issues around this during today's ECE office hours call – you might find the replay interesting!

Exactly her problem. Too many tasks in one note and the completed tasks get crossed off but stay in the list where they were.

I have to get our ECE office hours back on my calendar. I wish I hadn't missed it today! I'll check out the replay. Thanks, @Stacey Harmon!

• Like 1