editing existing notes - green check mark unresponsive

It seems to happen when I am typing into the note and all of a sudden the keyboard closes.  When i touch the note again and restart my typing, the next time I try to save the note with the green arrow, it does nothing.

Still refining how this error occurs.  Happens every day. It has nothing to do with keyboard closing.

Today I opened a note to edit it.  Did edits and saved. Fine. Edited again and the green check worked, but the green left arrow did not.  Nothing could get out of the note except to kill the app.

The note was saved with a half-typed word in the last edit, so it just randomly stopped saving in the middle of a word.

• Level 5

No idea how to solve the underlying issue. It happens on Android and iOS.

On iOS it is at least possible to copy the content of the note (select all), and paste it somewhere else (I use Apple Notes for parking content). Then quit the app, reopen. The note will show an older state. Now go to your „parking“ app and copy what is missing. Go back to the note, paste the content.

This is no solution, but at least it stops losing data over it.

• Like 1

I am having the same problem. I have been using Evernote for ever too. Pun intended. I’ve lost several notes / thoughts when it occurs. 

When the problem occurs does not seem consistent. .. I am just tying in a note the save check does not respond, menus in editor do not respond and this morning I noticed I can highlight all the text then copy to iOS clipboard force Evernote to close, reopen Evernote then paste copied text into the note I started.

It’s really frustrating. Yesterday it occurred, I lost most of what I was typing and decided to turn off all the auto correct options (eg bullets, etc) to see if that helps. It did not. 

This is happening to me repeatedly on ios. Its worked for a decade before without this problem. Support was unable to understand my issue. I am losing data, sentences and paragraphs, daily. I am now actively looking for a replacement to evernote.

Thanks - it is at least a work around. I’m not using multiple devices so having evernote actually remove content that could just be left in the note feels really painful. 

• Like 1

I am continuing to run in to the problem described in this thread. Happened today on a new note too. I did a work around not to loose my notes, however, I see it as short term. PinkElephant mentioned opening a support ticket. I just looked briefly and could not find how to open one. Has anyone opened one yet?

I opened a support ticket on this issue about a month ago, when the problem was not so frequent. Support was unable to understand the problem, perhaps didn’t read my emails, and assumed I did not know how to ensure a document synced. I received endless notes on how the syncing works; something I am very familiar with and gave up trying to explain.

• Level 5

Yes, sometimes the support experience is not what we expect. I encounter new names a lot with my tickets, so maybe EN is working on the service level - and the new staff needs to be seasoned a little (no excuse, just an observation).

Up to now I had no issue myself to prove there is a problem - and get it solved or passed on. As it should be, for all paying users !

I have thought about sending this back to support but it is a difficult issue to prove. With my first support experience, I felt I somehow needed something more definitive. The data is lost as if it was never there so a version history does not help. Its usually “only” a few sentences or paragraphs that get lost, as opposed to a whole note. It is not explicitly reproducible. Even though it happens regularly, it seems like the only trigger is time. I tried all the suggestions (reinstalling evernote, reading unhelpful syncing notes, doing more manual syncing). I will try reporting it again with a link to this forum. 

Thanks - I just figured out how to open a support incident. Ticket #3559555. 

If interested, I put the text I submitted below. 

------------

Frequently the Note I am working on becomes unresponsive to saving the Note. Meaning the Check in the top left of the note is pressable, however, no actions occur once pressed. The other icons within the Note (e.g. Menu, Edit, etc) have the same behavior.

The only way to then save my note is to highlight the text and copy-paste it to Apple Note or another app then close Evernote, reopen, and retry to create the note.

I am a long-time user of Evernote. I have it on MacOs Desktop, iPad and iPhone. I am only experiencing the issue on the iOS/iPhone version. Although I do not really use it that much on iPad. 

I have deleted Evernote and reinstalled it with the latest version. I have also disabled all 'Notes' Advanced Edit features. Neither of these prevented the issue from reoccurring. The issue is also not consistent on when it occurs, however, the issue does occur more often than not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the feedback I received from Evernote support

------

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Customer Support. My name is Chipo, and I'm happy to assist you with your concern.

I understand that you are experiencing an issue saving the note you frequently work on as the checkmark button becomes unresponsive that it does no action once pressed. I appreciate and thank you for all of the information you provided, and for your effort in the troubleshooting you did by reinstalling the Evernote app. 

I recognize this has not been the best for your situation, and I apologize for the inconvenience this brings you. 

I just wanted to let you know that our development team is aware of the performance issue and is working ceaselessly to improve the app. I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it as quickly as possible.

As you have already reinstalled the app, which should temporarily solve the issue on your end, you may follow these steps to use Evernote Web on your iPhone as a workaround:

1. From Safari iOS, go to favicon.ico?v2Welcome Back

• On iOS: Before signing in, tap on the ‘Aa’ button on the left hand side of the URL field, and select Request desktop site (If you see "Request mobile site", then it indicates that you are already on the desktop site.
  2. Then, sign in from the three lines menu at the top right, and access your notes

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please feel free to reach out to us for an update, or if you have any other concerns. Stay safe!

• 2 weeks later...

I did what Jaminj suggested.  Uninstalled, reinstalled on my Galaxy 20 +.  The first time I went to use Evernote, It duplicated the first note I edited, causing a note conflict.  Then After fixing the conflict, it did the same non-functioning checkmark or back arrow.  I now know how to copy the note, crash Evernote. Restart and paste back in, but this is no good.  I hope they can find a fix.

I have run into this a lot on the Android version. I have noticed that when it happens, there is a brief pause, I suspect that Evernote is trying to sync at that moment, and then anything that I type after that will be lost. I have taken to copying what I typed, closing Evernote, and then re-opening it and pasting that data back in. I have submitted a ticket on the subject. I suspect- but am not sure - that this is more likely to happen when I have poor reception or a slow Internet connection (like on an airplane), that's why I think it's trying to sync when that pause occurs. Still, since I am paying to have the notes stored on my device, this ought not to happen regardless of the connection quality, and the fact that the program seems to hang indicates that something has gone wrong.

• Sad 1

This bug robs me of data continually. The workaround is basically to use another tool and copy back to evernote. I was wondering about just switching to an alternative tools like “notion”. Has anyone tried other tools with or without favorable results?

Agreed and interested too... I have been an Evernote user for many many years so I’m trying to hold out for them to fix the bug. However … If there’s a better option and no bug then I might switch. 

BTW I’ve tried one note, notability, and apple notes. They all have their pros/cons and I still favor Evernote. However …. I hope they fix the bug soon. 

• Like 1

Just happened to me today and yesterday on an updated iphone XS Max on ios16 and fully updated app.  Seems to be a lot of these posts so I doubt the devs can just blame old phones. My XS Max seems pretty snappy in everything else, and usually this doesn't pop up, but when it does, man is it frustrating. I have to put the note into Apple Notes to make sure it doesn't delete and then reenter it later.  Apple Notes didn't seem to have any issue putting it on icloud instantly so seems like an Evernote problem specifically. 

Same for me on Android, and it's been happening for a couple of months:

• Create a note, type some text and tap the green tick. This takes me out of edit mode.
  • I tap the green tick again to return to notes list but it's unresponsive. The menu button in the bottom-left corner is unresponsive too.
  • I can continue to tap on the text and edit it further but the note won't get saved past this point.
  • I can copy and paste the text into another app, but this shouldn't be necessary of course :)

It doesn't happen with every new note, but very frequently. I don't think I experience the keyboard disappearing. Have tried reinstalling, clearing cache etc.

Edit, trying to keep this thread useful:

The fix of using a phone browser set to "desktop site" and logging into the evernote site is a good workaround to this issue. I hope the app works again at some point because it's easier to use, but the phone browser solution is workable.

• Level 5

Oh, you are using a valuable service for free - but you expect the devs to work day and night, to make your day. And because devs are nice people, they will work overtime on cold pizza, warm coke and without being paid, because you don’t think it is necessary to contribute.

You must be a very charming, engaging person - I just doubt on the long run you end up with a lot of friends.

• Level 5

In fact I don't care what you think. I think you should accept that a free software (and this is what you use) has its limitations. If you don't like it, move on.

The discussion I need to have with EN I do myself, with support. On the syncing issue I expect no quick fix. But I don't see much of the problem neither, happened 2 or 3 times that the app froze. Using the advise from the help document let me save the content, and that is enough to save the day.

I am having same issue Note 20. I cannot figure out how to contact support or send a report. I am getting very impatient with this issue. I have a paid account and can't seem to shake the freeze up/no response error, after rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling more than once. I also cannot seem to find a way to contact Evernote about this directly. My subscription is up in Oct. And I believe I will just migrate to another service if someone cannot see this message and solve this issue.

Edited by J R M
More info
  • Level 5

There is a simpler way on mobile to contact support. Just go to the apps settings, tab support, issue support ticket.

The advantage is you can attach an activity log with the ticket. The disadvantage is you are limited to 500 characters.

This is the current official workaround (wouldn’t call it a solution) for the problem. It works on Android as well.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/217930798