Note filtering useless due to missing tag search feature

• Level 5

When using the filter for notes, it is not possible anymore to search for tags. When trying to enter a search string via the keyboard, the entry field just gets a blue border, but no text. It is still possible to select a tag from the drop-down, but since I use many tags, it takes much more time now to find the right tag.

EvernoteFilterSearch.jpg

• Like 1

@ChristianJB Looks like it.

I can enter text to search for filter values for me on Windows Desktop -- with version 10.33.5-win-ddl-public (hrm -- that's a bit older) -- like @RobertJLee shows. But I cannot enter text to search for filter values on Mac Desktop -- with version 10.37.3-mac-ddl-public. I get the same behavior as what @Stuhrer posts.

(I suspect @RobertJLeeis on a Mac because of the large (retina) screenshot and the font is a tad bit thicker)

I don't know that it has anything to do with the version, but I'm going to update my Windows to the latest and see if there is a difference.

Currently for me:

image.png.f2bc485c27a08f8df634b0decb717864.png

Well, I updated to the latest version of windows and now I can no longer search for values in "tags", "located in", or "contains". 

I wonder if a bug got introduced in one of the latest releases that disabled it.

image.png.b1401ee9f36651cbd2cf21a1597110b5.png

From: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050105293-Filter-your-notes-list

This part does not seem to be working: "Alternatively, you can type the name of the filter into the search bar, then click or tap on the filter name to apply it."

I submitted a ticket to EN Support.

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Boot17 said:

@RobertJLeeDid you post those screenshots from a Windows PC? 

No Mac running latest version downloaded from Evernote site NOT App Store as Appstore version still does not show gear wheel /update settings.

• Thanks 1

@RobertJLeeThanks. I have the latest version (10.37.3) downloaded from Evernote's site and not the App Store as well.

Also, latest update on the ticket -- I received this from support:

I understand that you are unable to enter text on the search filter and are only able to scroll from the list that appears. I am sorry to hear about this but let me assist you with this now. 

I would also like to thank you for sending me a link to the forums and to the article as well. I truly appreciate your effort with this. 

I have gone ahead and tested this on my side. I have confirmed that it is not possible to type on filters using the latest version of Evernote. I also can only scroll down form the list that appears. 

With that being said, may I kindly request for your activity logs so we may be able to look into this? 

1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

@RobertJLeeThanks. I have the latest version (10.37.3) downloaded from Evernote's site and not the App Store as well.

Also, latest update on the ticket -- I received this from support:

Apologies just realised on my laptop I have beta installed ( testing re occurring tasks) perhaps thats the difference?

10.36.2-mac-ddl-beta (3366)
Editor: v147.0.18080
Service: v1.52.2

• Level 5
34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Works on my Mac (12.4, EN 10.37.3 direct).

Are you guys using the AppStore version, or the direct install ?

I reported the problem for the Mac direct download version 10.37.3 (MacOS 12.4). But it also occurs in the Windows version:

and also in the Web version.

I received this update a couple of days ago (didn't check my email for a while) on this issue that I submitted to EN Support on the 17th:

But as of the moment, I would like to let you know that our team is now aware of this and is already on their way to fix it. I am unable to mention when this will be fixed but please rest assured that we are working on it now.

I have the same problem and used chat support yesterday.  They informed me that the only way to specify tag(s) was to use the list option.  Yikes! .. I must have over 600 tags!

The support person indicated that there was nothing I could do and they would recommend that feature as a potential "enhancement".

It sure would be great if there were a DB we could consult to see if something is a bug vs a recommended enhancement.

Same here on Windows, I used to be able to start typing the Tag name in the filter and it would give me options; I have multiple layered tags and having to navigate through the layers to get to the one I want is now tedious... please bring back the search

I completely agree that this is a backwards step and I hope that it is an error rather than by design. Worth noting that it also effects the "contains" and "located in" filter. 

The workaround is to search for the tag in the main search. If you add a tag from there it does not clear the original search but adds to it. The advantage is that it will only list relevant tags ie ones that are included in the current search. This has been a behaviour that people have asked for. 

image.png.d83324c4349aad94d1b5bab7f8c0eda5.png

Not a replacement for what we want but definitely worth a look.

• Thanks 1
On 5/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, amInMarina said:

The support person indicated that there was nothing I could do and they would recommend that feature as a potential "enhancement".

That definitely is not consistent with the report that I got from support that "our team is now aware of this and is already on their way to fix it". One of the two is wrong and/or wires are crossed somewhere.

Not fixed in 10.38. Also worth noting that my workaround doesn't work if you have already added text to the search field. It does work if you just want to add multiple tags or "cotains" items.

• 2 weeks later...

The tag search feature in the filter function is broken (I'm on the mac v10.38.1)...adding it should NOT be called an "enhancement".  it was a feature I relied on extensively and, in fact, I utilize tags in a way that allows me to exploit this function fully.  I feel like I lost 50% of my productivity with this bug.  I implore EN to fix this bug ASAP.  

Still not fixed in the version 10.38.3
Very disappointed !!!! Totally useless for me with more then 450 tags in a complex hierarchy... 
Fortunately I have the Time Machine running on my Mac, so I was able to restore the version 10.34.4 that work fine !!!
So this is definitively a big bug introduced somewhere between the version 10.34.4 and the version 10.37.3
This bug is present on the last version for Mac, Windows and internet browser.

Good news, Evernote responded quickly to my ticket and promised a fix in the next release

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are currently aware of this issue, and our Development Team is working to fix this. It is expected to be resolved on our next release (version 10.39). Unfortunately, I currently don't have a timeframe for its release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2