Multiple Tabs

I know it has been posted but there are so many who have ask for tabs to be brought back. I hate paying for the service and having to use legacy to serve my needs. 

why do we need tabs-

1- it is how we operate our workflow

2- we have multiple projects going

3- we ask for it after it was taken from us

please we beg you Evernote. I’m almost at the point to switch to just get what I am needing.   

• Like 7
  • Evernote Expert

If you want Evernote staff to hear your ideas then you need to use a story ticket or the feedback option in the applications.

We are just fellow users so no influence or response.

It is true, though, that EN v10 did demand changed workflows. I decided If make it work for me and within a week or two I became settled with the changes. Note I don't remember the workflows I used with the old Evernote.

If you need specific things and Legacy still provides them then you've got time to make a plan for the future. If that demands tabbed working then unless you can wait and see if it comes, you need to be making a plan for an alternative. 

Thank you. I have made a ticket but i will try the feedback. I have tried the new one and yes it works but i go back and forth on one screen so much it is difficult.. old dog new tricks i guess. I used another software for years before Evernote that i used tabs and the only way I could transition was the tabs- over 10 years for me. I am using the legacy now, it is just frustrating all the other features i am missing. 

Thank you. 

• Level 5

For me it works pretty well to open notes in their own window. It is easier to arrange them side by side or as a mosaic, for example to move content among them.

This is not a 1:1 replacement for tabs, but in some aspects it works even better for me.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For me it works pretty well to open notes in their own window. It is easier to arrange them side by side or as a mosaic, for example to move content among them.

This is not a 1:1 replacement for tabs, but in some aspects it works even better for me.

This is what Windows users have always done as we have never had the "essential" tabs feature.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

And I suspect that the absence in Windows is one of the reasons it is missing in v10. The parity of features is one of the key aims of v10. Import folders were originally going to be deprecated since they were a Windows only feature. So generate enough support and perhaps tabs will arrive/return.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

As noted the Tabs feature was a Mac only thing in the past. It did not transfer to v10 - presumably to bring parity of features across the various OS versions. I've no idea why it wasn't a Windows feature but perhaps it is difficult to implement in Windows making it something that isn't offered any longer.  Whatever, be sure to register your need with Evernote support via the Feedback or support ticket as well as here.

Perhaps explain why you need this for note taking rather than, for example, opening notes in separate windows.

22 hours ago, Cuckoo Lala said:

The other reason we need tabs and notebook in a notebook feature is because this is a note taking app.

Based on your comment in another thread that "I've used Evernote consistently since it came out and never ever knew about tabs." - I just wanted to be sure that you knew what the multiple tabs feature is that is being talked about... It was just similar to a tab in a browser. You could get another "main" view of Evernote with side bar and filtered list. It wasn't an actual tab in a notebook or anything...

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you can do this pretty easily if you are using EN web.  You can take anything eg: a notebook, a note etc and make it into a browser tab.  You can even permanently pin it to your browser address bar.  I am not a mac user and therefore never even knew about this "tab" feature that you mention.  However, I agree that it is a useful feature and I have used it with EN web.

• 9 months later...

The best way to explain the functionality and advantage of Evernote tabs is to compare them to browser tabs, which replaced opening multiple windows. Reducing clutter is an important part of my workflow. I have mimicked the effect of switching between different notebooks in the Evernote sidebar, and it is not the same as switching between tabs. Right now, I have tabs open in Evernote Legacy, and the efficiency is MUCH better than the new version. I simply cannot quit Evernote Legacy until it is permanently removed. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

... which is only true for Mac users - Windows legacy never had tabs.

For compensation Windows legacy had Import Folders, not available for Mac legacy.

This simple example shows why it was completely illusionary to bring the legacy hodgepodge to a common level, ever. You could not even share code between the Windows and Mac apps - Windows legacy running on 32bit code, which on Macs since 2020 will not even execute, even if the code itself could be made executable.

Tab lovers can try to use the v10 web client - it allows for tabs.

• Level 5

Sure: Open several sessions of the web client in your browser. Each session will show in its own tab and can be used independently.

This feature is not supported in Safari. You need to use a different browser, like Firefox or Chrome.

• 6 months later...

I created many tickets about the issue, most recently a year ago, to which I received the following response:

"I see that you have contacted us regarding your request to bring back the multi-tab functionality so you can work on multiple notes at once "This feature has been removed because it was not a commonly used feature during previous updates. I understand how valuable this feature is to you and we appreciate your feedback."

I then began to try out other note-taking apps and gradually created them. Now I don't miss Evernote at all anymore. Because the other recommended ones are free to use, open source and safer: You have more control over your own data and can synchronize it yourself. In addition, the Markdown format guarantees that you will never lose access to your data, and the note-links are brilliant. So since then I've been using:
Joplin Notes
Obsidian Notes
Logseq Notes
All are free to use and also offer multiple tabs.
But you sometimes have to incorporate something new, e.g. B. set up the tab function as an extension yourself; But you also have access to many extensions, depending on your own use. So I simply recommend setting up the new notebook little by little until you see that it's worth it. Then you can export your Evernote-Notes and delete Evernote. 

• Level 5

If you want to have tabs, use the web client.

Everybody else is doing without, so the argument how important they are has run out of steam, a long time ago. I find it rather useful to open a note in its own window case I need it.

I was quite enamored with tabs on the web client when I first started using them and I had permanent tabs for my inbox, work notebook, home notebook etc.  However, over time I stopped using them and found that I just went to the windows v10 EN app for everything.  I don't really see the huge advantage of tabs when you can pretty much set up v10 in whatever way you want.  However, if you're dying to have them nothing is easier than setting them up on Chrome and having as many permanent tabs as you desire.

I am no longer sad about the loss of the multiple tab functionality and the Evernote strategy with the pricing model, as I have now found better alternatives that are free to use. Of course everyone has their own requirements... But what I can also share are my reasons why the tabs are indispensable for me: 

1.) The ability to open multiple notes in different tabs at the same time lets you work efficiently on different aspects of a project without having to switch between different views. This is particularly helpful if you are preparing a presentation and want to collect and process information on several points at the same time.

2.) Using tabs makes it easy to move text or objects back and forth between different notes. This makes organizing and structuring information easier, which is especially important when combining different sources or ideas into a project.

3.) For complex topics that are divided into several facets, the ability to deal with different aspects in separate tabs offers better clarity. This not only makes editing easier, but also makes it easier to understand the connections between the different parts of a project.

4.) When interrupted or need to quickly capture a thought on another topic, opening a new tab allows for quick capture without losing the current work window. This is particularly helpful if you are regularly interrupted by concerns that require immediate attention.

5.) Keeping a tab open allows you to continually document your work while working on other tasks. This promotes structuring and tracking of your activities, which is particularly useful for reflecting on progress and planning future steps.

The tabs structure not only enables projects to be processed in parallel, but also flexible handling of interruptions and the seamless recording of thoughts without losing the current work context. 

Since internet browsers fulfill different functions for me and I want to keep my data synchronized easily and securely with multiple devices, I use note-taking apps for everything I edit with them. And my current attempt to try it without tabs was not satisfactory for me, especially since Evernote now requires a subscription and does not offer any special data security or data protection.
I haven't yet fully understood how other providers can do it cheaper, more securely, with more functionality, and still with tabs ...

Compare on the website https://noteapps.info/

• Level 5

You are obviously not aware (or ignoring) the fact that everything you used as an argument for tabs can be achieved by opening notes in individual windows as well. Each window is free to be moved around (opposite to tabs, that are always bound to the main app window), so you can position them as you need. This is especially helpful when using a setup with several monitors.

The only thing you can’t do with note windows is having more than one list of notes. This can be circumvented by using the web client in addition, if necessary several instances of the web client in tabs. Since the web clients UI is matching the installed UI, and with RTE sync there is no risk of accidentally editing the same note in 2 locations any more. This is a very applicable possibility for those who want to fill their screen with EN frames.

But we now move into an area where we have more than 10 window and tabs open - this is where it starts to get difficult to keep track of what is showing where, even with a lot of screen real estate.

Sorry to say, but I think you just proved again that tabs are not needed with v10 any longer.

• Level 5*

There is nothing to prove, or disprove here.  Some are content with separate windows others prefer a tabbed interface.  Personally, I dislike separate windows everywhere and would prefer having tabs, but I don’t miss them enough to bother opening the web client.

You can certainly try to use windows instead, because some things have actually become habitual. Yes, yesterday I tried it again intensively, alternatively working with windows or with the internal links to other notes... But it was clearly too confusing and too complicated for me, since I also work with browsers and Office documents and other programs. Split screens also work temporarily on Mac, but they only make sense if you only work with two to four documents for a long time. If you could set links as easily as e.g. B. with Obsidian (Markdown language), and could retrieve graphical views, or could build your own dashboards, such as. B. in AnyType (beta phase) or in Notion, then I would certainly find a way to quickly find the notes that belong together using links. So Evernote can't win me back like that, and even for an expensive subscription.

I would prefer the ability to have tabs and windows and to be able to pin a window as "always on top"!

However, I can also get by and make due with what we've got too. On the Mac I use a combo of a separate Chrome app/instance for just Evernote, multiple windows, App Exposé, and recently trying out the AltTab app which works with all windows of one app pretty well.

Personally, I think one reason there isn't multiple tabs in the new version (despite Evernote previously and officially stating it's because it wasn't used very much*) is because the [Evernote v10 Electron-based] app is already pretty "heavy". Having multiple tabs could increase/double/triple/quadruple the size of the DOM in one window and I think it would get bogged down even more. In addition, it would (probably) take a lot more work to implement. 

*Evernote stated that multiple tabs weren't used very much, but I wonder if they are including all of Evernote usage in those statistics and multiple tabs were only available on the Mac Desktop version of which there are less Mac users than Windows (and iPhone and Android and Web) users to begin with. Convenient statistics if so. If they only looked at Mac users, I'll bet the multiple tab usage was a lot more prominent. Haha - so us legacy Evernote Mac users scratch our heads and everyone else thinks... whatever... 😃 

Much like the one poster, I have accepted the lack of tabs but still mourn it. It has changed my usage of EN. I use it less and less each week. I am debating either getting rid of it or going to a cheaper or free version, as it no longer serves my full need. I have tried using windows, but they do not work for my use or flow. Call it preference, but it was one of the reasons I started using EN and not others. I have enough other tabs open in my browser tabs as it is easier to add another one, and I only sometimes have internet when using EN, so this option does not work. As a long-time Mac guy, I hate to admit it, but the upgraded One Note that is free for me with my Microsoft business account makes more and more sense. At this point, the only reason I have stayed the same is taking the time to switch over. 

The worst part is that whoever used it was not worth keeping it, so it goes away. It was 75% of its value for me versus other note apps. As another said, I use the task features zero, and they get in my way of looking at options and features now. For business users, if you are paying for EN, were you not already using a much better task app? For both Windows and Mac users, the OS task apps are better for me than EN. 

I have accepted that my need to have tabs will not be met. I have accepted in the future I will leave EN and either give another app my money or find a free option. With the number of tickets and posts, you would think EN will find a way to return it, but they are clear that our request does not matter. 

From a disappointed Evernote user-- what was a nice shiny tool that got used a lot, is now a tool that has feel to the bottom of the bag and is due a removing. 

I also wondered how the Evernote operators want to know how much the tabs are used (so much for data protection). However, I received different answers to my inquiries from different types, the last one at the end of 2022 was the justification for poor use, and overall I had the feeling that they didn't know anything either. What excites me about current note-taking projects, especially those with open source, is that I get real answers, that you can actively help develop in a community, and that there are extensions so that it feels like nothing is left to be desired.
Thanks for the contributions, I learned something from them, but it confirmed that I should finally turn my back on EN (after 12 years of use and over 1000 notes). 

• Level 5

To see the use is quite simple. Let’s assume that EN users were distributed on legacy equal to the market shares of the OS. At that time MacOS was at 10%, or a little above. 

Let’s further assume that only a part of the users actually used the tabs feature. I’m on MacOS, and I didn’t use it. I am generous: Let’s say 1 out of 2 Mac users did use it.

Tada !

Result: Approximately 1 user out of 20 users used tabs. That’s 5%, no more.

This shows why this feature didn’t make it to the backlog list when v10 was developed.

Unfair ? Maybe - but 95 out of 100 users didn’t know, and didn’t care. So the devs capacity went into other features.

The arguments up to now WHY tabs should return are rather weak. „I got used to it and don’t like the alternative“ is true for maybe some who did use it.

But the main question is: Why should those who are not accustomed start to use it in the future ? Where is the benefit (over independent windows) ?

We are listening …

The Apple user market share is over 20%, and on what basis do you assume that only half of them were using tabs? After all, Apple users also know them from other programs, even in the Finder folder and Pages ... I can't imagine it without them. And other, newer note-taking programs also allow it as an extension, or even standard with Obsidian, which is why I'm still wondering why Evernote isn't, even though they actually make a lot of money with their product. But maybe precisely because profit is more important to them? I don't know it. But it should be ok for me, because luckily there are alternatives, I was just interested in them.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

To see the use is quite simple. Let’s assume that EN users were distributed on legacy equal to the market shares of the OS. At that time MacOS was at 10%, or a little above. 

Let’s further assume that only a part of the users actually used the tabs feature. I’m on MacOS, and I didn’t use it. I am generous: Let’s say 1 out of 2 Mac users did use it.

Tada !

Result: Approximately 1 user out of 20 users used tabs. That’s 5%, no more.

This shows why this feature didn’t make it to the backlog list when v10 was developed.

Unfair ? Maybe - but 95 out of 100 users didn’t know, and didn’t care. So the devs capacity went into other features.

The arguments up to now WHY tabs should return are rather weak. „I got used to it and don’t like the alternative“ is true for maybe some who did use it.

But the main question is: Why should those who are not accustomed start to use it in the future ? Where is the benefit (over independent windows) ?

We are listening …

Your questions: 

1- Why should tabs return (you asserted them as weak)? If it costs them users and paid subscribers, that matters some, at least. It is not that I do not like the alternative, but rather that I am moving to an alternative and not using EN nearly as much as I did previously (estimated 25% of the past usage). 

2- "Why should those who are not accustomed to it start to use it in the future? Where is the benefit (over independent windows)?" I assume you mean using tabs if they returned. First, it gives users multiple ways to interact and use the content of EN. Like Mel10 stated, in a day where open source is high and software is built to customize for the user experience, this seems like a no-brainer. For those who should start using tabs in EN,  flip the argument of the many that state to use tabs with EN in a browser. Do you use browser tabs? What percentage of people do? Do they consider those tabs useful? Did they find ways to use the internet before tabs and only windows? Sure, but most people I know use tabs in their browsers because it allows quick access to many sites without getting lost in the feel of 95 MS Windows and cluttering up their screen. Tabs to the browser were considered an upgrade, as well as organizational and cleaner screens. The same is true for EN, the VERY SAME. 
If you want to tell those of us who want the return of tabs to EN that we are wrong, stop using tabs in your browser. 

3- For a bonus to your 'Tada" I am not sure of your facts. First, Windows is around 69% of computer users, and Mac is 21%. Also, your 'facts' do not speak of a % of paid users vs. free users. Your facts are right. In the end, I get it, money talks. But I'd like to know why browsers are adding or advancing their tab features, and you and others are arguing that tabs have limited to zero value other than our refusal to change. Chrome in 2020 did not do away with tabs but added and enhanced tabs by creating groupings of tabs. MS Edge did the same in 2021. Simply, while EN was removing a loved feature from the Mac OS user, they could have been adding it to Microsoft users like browsers. 

I hope you were listening! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Mel10 Actually the MacOS market share for desktop devices just hit 20% now (says Statista.com, and they usually know). In July 2019 (a safe bet for basic UI development decisions, 1 year before v10 was launched) it was at 12%. OK, Windows was not at 90%, but none of those other OSes had tabs either.

image.thumb.png.ebd4236583bbe9af8b92f90f2d3e32af.png

I think it is very generous to make the assumption that half of the Mac users in fact used tabs. Usually the use of certain features in software (except those that are core functionality like save or open) are a fraction of that, 10-20% is already a lot. Those self designated "power users" tend to overestimate the true proportions. But software is not developed just for them. 

Most users back then when asked would probably have said "What do you mean by tabs ?".

I guess that is why all browsers have added tabs (Mac OS and Windows users alike). I guess nobody will use them, and it is a wasted feature. 

You did not answer if you use tabs in your browser.

I am not sure why you are set to argue with those who want a simple feature not created but added back. Give it to MS people too. We are not crude but want our function back or are going to a system that does. I used to recommend to everyone to go to EN and pay for it. I have not done that in a long time. Who am I, nobody but a user that pays each year. This year I may not. 

Also- stats are mixed on your statement: Mac 29% today and over 20% in 2020. Also, if Mac OS is growing, why not listen to your paid Mac people? 

6a0120a5580826970c02b751999766200c.jpg

• Level 5

The world is more than the US ... Statistia.com data is world market.

The UI decisions for v10 were taken in 2018 and 2019 (we know from the video series with Ian Small) - it was back then when the dreadful MacBooks with the Core-i-CPUs were sold, either completely underpowered for the price, or not able to manage heat on demanding jobs. Not surprising the market share was flat back then.