How are you all using and enjoying "Tasks"

I've been playing with Tasks in evernote and trying to see what role it could play in my workflow.  Currently I have 3 systems to inform me of what's coming up.  I can give myself a reminder on my iphone eg:"Hey Siri, remind me of my webinar tomorrow at 7pm".  Or I can go to Google Calendar and simply make an event for the webinar at 7pm.  Or I can make it into an Evernote task.  I've been doing a combo of all three of these things and sometimes it gets confusing.  Having really found an all in one solution.  Perhaps when evernote starts integrating Goggle calendar it may be an all in one solution.  For now it doesn't seem to work.

• Like 1

Something like a webinar would be a calendar appointment for me. Since it is an event and not something that needs to be done and I have never used calendar appointments for tasks.

For tasks I use a combination of iOS Reminders (with Fantastical) and EN Tasks. I use iOS Reminders for quick easy things like call my mom tonight along with anything that I need to quickly add before I forget using Siri, though I tend to transfer those over to EN when I get a chance. I also use Reminders for any reoccurring tasks. I use EN for pretty much all other tasks along with 100% of work tasks (I use EN for both personal and work in same account). 

• Like 1

I use Tasks as a main task tracking feature. I almost don't use reminders and don't use tagging for tracking (I know that EN search is superb but I am lazy to create a meaningful custom tagging system, I just hate to create personal meta data for data management, I guess I am more a folder tree guy).

There are issues such no sub tasking, task dependency but I use tables and checkbox for more detailed sub tasking.

In the end, its note taking app that tries to add more value to it's users.

For more quick personal tasking I use Any.DO

On 12/12/2021 at 12:58 AM, Mishkafofer said:

I use Tasks as a main task tracking feature. I almost don't use reminders and don't use tagging for tracking (I know that EN search is superb but I am lazy to create a meaningful custom tagging system, I just hate to create personal meta data for data management, I guess I am more a folder tree guy).

There are issues such no sub tasking, task dependency but I use tables and checkbox for more detailed sub tasking.

In the end, its note taking app that tries to add more value to it's users.

For more quick personal tasking I use Any.DO

Do you do find out task if you there is no tag?

• Level 5*
On 12/11/2021 at 10:58 AM, Mishkafofer said:

I almost don't use reminders and don't use tagging for tracking

My tasks are individual notes; this allows tag assignment   
I use tag:!Action-Task and optional tag:!Project-aaaaaaaaaaa   
I use tags to identify each of my projects and can generate filtered task lists

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DTLow said:

•  

Can you amplify on that?  I also use tags for projects but I don't see how to generate a filtered task list. @DTLow

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

I also use tags for projects but I don't see how to generate a filtered task list.

An example would be my v10 testing   
I use tag:!Action-Task tag:!Project v10 testing    
and that's my filter parameters

On 12/13/2021 at 1:09 AM, DTLow said:

My task list search box won't find tags in notes unless I manually append the tag name to the task.

I am not understanding whether you are using a dedicated set of notes, tagged as above, and then filtered in the main EN window. Or are you embedding an EN task inside each of these task notes and filtering in the new task functionality?

Screenshot attached to illustrate my question.

1412842244_ScreenShot2021-12-13at21_27_49.thumb.jpg.82c91575b436e07c4018e92c75ebe16d.jpg

On 12/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, DTLow said:

An example would be my v10 testing   
I use tag:!Action-Task tag:!Project v10 testing    
and that's my filter parameters

@DTLow  :  you use the tag within the note (  as part of the description of the task  ?  if so ,  how do you apply the filter ,  do you sort tasks or notes ?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Claudiofpiga said:

@DTLow  :  you use the tag within the note (  as part of the description of the task  ?  if so ,  how do you apply the filter ,  do you sort tasks or notes ?

16 hours ago, snsokstan said:

Or are you embedding an EN task inside each of these task notes and filtering in the new task functionality?

Confirmed, the new EN task feature is a block embedded in a note contents     

So, I start with a note; an individual note for each task   
This is simple note processing   
- assigning tags to a note   
- applying filters to the note list

I think the confusion is arising between why he does external tagging of his tasks as opposed to simply embedding the task in the note.   If you assign a tag eg: !Task to a particular note, then obviously that note (and any other note with that tag) will come up in a filtered search. This is like any other filtered search in which projects or other issues are stratified by tags.  He is simply creating a tag that brings up all his tasks and then subdivides these further by projects with secondary tags.   Theoretically at this point you don't need to embed the task into your note using the "insert task" feature.  However, if you do that as well it will have some advantages eg: creating a reminder and showing up in your list of tasks (on your iphone etc).

6 hours ago, idoc said:

I think the confusion is arising between why he does external tagging of his tasks as opposed to simply embedding the task in the note

I think I get it. My confusion may be around the difference between a generic task @DTLow and an Evernote "Task Feature" (embedded task block).  

I tried way back using notes as generic tasks but never developed  the fluency to easily sort, re-sort, change priorities, etc. Time to try again.

So @idoc going back to top of thread, are you using the new Embedded Task Feature and if so, are you using embedding those task within a note that's just details of the task? Or as you adding an embedded task block within regular EN notes that contain more than just task details?

For now I’m experimenting with tasks and Evernote. I like embedding the task within a note and setting reminders at the same time.  When I look at my tasks on my iPhone I can summon up the relevant note immediately. 

• Like 1

I use both, notes as a ‚task‘ (simple ones, simple use case, just a reminder to that note containing something to do based on a checkmark or checkmark list or some highlighted text) and notes with embedded tasks. Embedded tasks are nice if there is something more complex with several tasks and different due dates -> the note is then more a „container“ for a bunch of tasks incl. space for comments and a good overview - and a note can be easily shared to others.

But, it‘s true, I‘ve to take care about two sections in Evernote: my due notes and my due tasks - there is potential for „confusion“ but I‘m getting used to it 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am an ancient troglodyte who has been using Evernote since it was called Tornado Notes and operated in DOS. I've always liked it for it's quick-to-find notes facility and I haven't appreciated the developers trying to turn it unto a Swiss army knife with a multitude of functions that make the whole package complicated, slow and unwieldy. Tasks really gets 'up my nose. I already use Microsoft's To Do function - I don't need another task program on my computer. I'd love to remove it from Evernote altogether, but can't see how. Is there a way?

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, jmacg said:

Tasks really gets 'up my nose. ... I'd love to remove it from Evernote altogether, but can't see how. Is there a way?

You could simply not use the new tasks feature.  
Personally my task management is done with notes, tags and reminder date

On 12/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, AidaAnderson said:

Do you do find out task if you there is no tag?

I build "Main Map" page for each project and tag it with tag "Main Map". Those pages are filtered on "Home" with filtered search. 

Main map page of each project contains links to task pages.

I build template for task pages. In that template I put link to main page, precedent and dependent tasks. Those pages are the only one to contain tasks.

I also use saved searches to find pages with updated tasks in past 24 hours and past 7 days.

Yep, searches and tags can make it better but I have some kind of mental block for that. I guess my brain love "Notion" approach.

Also, I use "Task" page to review my various task pages.

18 minutes ago, Mishkafofer said:

I build "Main Map" page for each project and tag it with tag "Main Map". Those pages are filtered on "Home" with filtered search. 

Main map page of each project contains links to task pages.

I build template for task pages. In that template I put link to main page, precedent and dependent tasks. Those pages are the only one to contain tasks.

I also use saved searches to find pages with updated tasks in past 24 hours and past 7 days.

Yep, searches and tags can make it better but I have some kind of mental block for that. I guess my brain love "Notion" approach.

Also, I use "Task" page to review my various task pages.

@Mishkafofer Using a saved search for find updated tasks is a nice idea. 

Do you put reminders/due dates on your project page or your task page?

On 12/17/2021 at 10:02 PM, UConnFan said:

Tasks due dates and tasks reminders could be available as filters. I use filters api in a daily basis workflow. It Will be helpful see my tasks and note reminders for today in the same filter.

@UConnFan Not clear what "filters api" means. Google didn't help find a "filters application programming interface"

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Mishkafofer said:

I build "Main Map" page for each project ... Yep, searches and tags can make it better

I'm a tagger, using a project id tag to link my tasks and project notes

I use a script (applescript) to generate the "Main Map" page, listing the project/task notes in sections       
Project Notes, Tasks (Active), Tasks (Pending), Tasks (Completed), ...

Agree with CKG and JmacG. Of no use whatsoever.

I would like to have a preference to turn this fearure off. It currently is prominently displayed as a binary choice when I add a new ‘note’. Very very annoying.

When evernote added workplace chat a few years ago, it was initially part of the main interface, even though there was no reason for a notebook app to have workplace chat, I see it is now (thankfully) relegated to a preference that can be turned off. Evernote need to do the same for Tasks. I can see that the product team and the Evernote as a company are excited by this new feature, and it may be great for some users, but for my money they (once again) fail to understand what business they are in (notebook software). Sorry to sound negative but if evernote put this development resources  into making the core product work or better this would be a good thing.

Minimum is to give a user option to remove this superfluous feature from the interface for those who don't want or need it,

• Thanks 1

So I've revised my to-do strategy for the umpteenth time and am using a separate EN note à la @DTLow for each task and project and I keep them in a dedicated notebook.

I'm using internal links in EN to connect tasks to resources (or using my own version of Zettelkasten I mentioned here).

One obstacle: I assign a priority tag to each task, from "!!!!" to "!!!" etc. That makes it easy to filter by priority.

For a global view of all my tasks, I open the Tasks Notebook. Here's one issue. You can't sort by tag to display them according to priority. So I've taken to adding symbols to the title of each task that allow and A-Z or Z-A sorting of the task notes. These do a nice high-to-low sort:

!!! Rake leaves
        & Buy soap
        $ Read that book

4 hours ago, cgk said:

I don't use it at all because I use Microsoft To Do which is directly connected to Teams Planner and also outlook - Evernote is redundant on that front. 

@cgkCurious why you don't use OneNote if you are in a microsoft ecosystem.

I love the way you can arrange a OneNote page with multiple items and move stuff around. A few years ago i worked for an employer using Windows and almost abandoned EN in favor of OneNote. I stopped trying when the conversion process couldn't bring everything across.

• Level 5*
On 12/27/2021 at 2:05 PM, snsokstan said:

I assign a priority tag to each task, from "!!!!" to "!!!" etc. That makes it easy to filter by priority.

I use Urgent and Important tags (Eisenhower Matrix) to flag priority items

There's also due dates   
My current task list is filtered (Status-Active or Due-Dated) and sorted by due date   
My thinking is a task that's due today get's attention, regardless of priority settings

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 12:32 AM, snsokstan said:

@Mishkafofer Using a saved search for find updated tasks is a nice idea. 

Do you put reminders/due dates on your project page or your task page?

@snsokstan

Yep, saved search is great. I am not sure other apps can do it.

About tasks: I put tasks on my project page (Attached my template, if any one is interested).

Since tasks arrived, I reduced usage of reminders.

Task Tracker V5.enex

I’m not… yet.

Well, one or two tests of it to confirm I understand the current state of it. So at least that much. But that’s not much.

Ive got far too many routine things I need to keep track of. And to keep them on my radar, I need recurring tasks and the ability to vary the frequency at which they recur. (Every day, 2 days, 3 days, 5 days, 91 days, annually, weekly, that sort of thing… with the ability to choose between the next recurrence being after completion or after the due date.)

It makes certain kinds of tasks more succinctly describable. For instance, if I want to train myself in a specific tech, I’ll put “study X” down as a task, and maybe set it to every other day, and have it reschedule for two days after completion. It doesn’t matter as much which chapter or article or whatnot so long as I do, in fact, study it. If I need to study a particular aspect, I note that as a separate task, and generally by the time I’m ready to get specific I’ll turn that repeating task off.

Similarly for my musical work, paintings, certain chores to be sure to stay on top of.

I remember reading that it’s one of the most requested features, and promised, so I eagerly await giving it a spin.

But I can’t move my task management system to it until it’s there. It’s a go/no-go feature for me. 🙂

But it’s fine. I’m not pouting about it or anything, just being a little bit contrarian and noting some qualifying threshold for some of us hasn’t been crossed, yet. It could easily be the case there’s a need for a product without repeating due dates in order to fulfill someone else’s workflow, and I respect that. (It would make it just a bit more manual in ways that force certain awarenesses and decisions to come to the fore, after all.)

I have something else I use for now (Todoist). If and when the features meet my requirements, I’ll give it another go and see if I’d like to practice using it daily.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:41 AM, DTLow said:

I'm a tagger, using a project id tag to link my tasks and project notes

I use a script (applescript) to generate the "Main Map" page, listing the project/task notes in sections       
Project Notes, Tasks (Active), Tasks (Pending), Tasks (Completed), ...

@DTLow

I started to use tags more often so I started to appreciate what can be done with that.

I use PC so no Applescript for me.

Ok.  So here's one of my non task related pet gripes.  Mishkafofer appended his  template on the previous post and I just downloaded it to "Add to Evernote".  Then I wait...and wait...and wait some more without seeing it appear in EN (windows v10).  Out of desperation I open up Legacy and there it is.  A few minutes later it finally pops up in v10. 

However, more to the topic, I'm still wondering what the difference is between the new "tasks" tab that is now appearing in the left bar vs. the  "Things to do" note?  

I don't use "Tasks" at all, because when the page with inserted tasks is shared via Public URL, only the Task Name shows and not any of the other information associated with the task (due date, time, etc.). This bug has been reported, but as of today has not been addressed.

So I am a few weeks into using a separate notebook (called !TASKS) and a note for each task but not using the formal "task" functionality. One thing I missed was a way to sort tasks by priority. Tags couldn't do that. I needed a better way to prioritize.

So I started prepending each note title with a symbol. I used ! for high priority, & for medium and so forth. The idea was to have the list sort by priority by just sorting the notebook A-Z.

But that looked weird.

What I've done is prepend each note title with a colored square symbol as in the attached screen snip.  In MacOS, an A-Z sort on these symbols conveniently sorts them red, then yellow, then green then purple then brown. That fits my prioritization of high, medium, low, waiting for and project. 

In a Projects note, I use a series of todo checkboxes to create the necessary steps. Then I just copy then next-up todo to its own note when it's ready to be a task.

I use my text expander program (Alfred in my case) to let a simple keyboard shortcut to quickly produce the symbols.

@DTLow thanks for your ideas about a dedicated notebook and notes as tasks..

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 19.36.00.jpg

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, snsokstan said:

That fits my prioritization of high, medium, low, waiting for and project. 

Just wondering about the "project" priority   
Should these tasks also fit in the high/medium/low priortization

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Mishkafofer said:

About tasks: I put tasks on my project page (Attached my template, if any one is interested).

Thanks for the template; I also use a project master page   
In my use, the task items are links to task notes

Your task sections are Main Tasks, Sub-Task and Follow-Up     
I use task sections Active, Next Action, Pending, Completed

Pending is my working pool while a project is being planned
At the end of the project, all tasks will end up in Completed 

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering about the "project" priority   
Should these tasks also fit in the high/medium/low priortization

@DTlow  Still thinking about that. Right now, the steps to complete a project are just checkbox todos.They only become tasks when moved to a unique note.

What I haven't figured out is how to structure a Project note in such a way that I know what project needs what work on a particular day. I am trying reminders for that. The solution to that is David Allen's GTD weekly review on a Sunday night (which usually gets prioritized behind Netflix).

My projects and task notes are tagged to "personal" or any one of several companies I consult for. So when I sit down to do work for one company, a Saved Search only shows the projects for that company.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

what project needs what work on a particular day

I review my active/due-dated task list daily and update my daily planner note
Active/Pending are tags that allow focus on a small segment of tasks   
I assign these tags are during the project review, or whenever a  project task is completed

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I review my active/due-dated task list daily and update my daily planner note
Active/Pending are tags that allow focus on a small segment of tasks   
I assign these tags are during the project review, or whenever a  project task is completed

I'd love to see how you configure your daily planner note and where in EN you keep it.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

I'd love to see how you configure your daily planner note and where in EN you keep it.

My daily planner is simply a note, created each morning from a template    
For me, it's a combination planner/journal/dashboard   

It can be as fancy as you want   
I think the important planner point is a section with hour headings where I time-block my day    
I insert entries after reviewing my calendars and task list   

Title yyyy-mm-dd Daily Journal
No special filing; just tagged !Journal-NoteDaily   
I have a shortcut to list my journal notes

On the journal side, I insert a photo from my current location,    
screenshots from various sources; weather, tides, calendars, task list

On 1/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, DTLow said:

My daily planner is simply a note, created each morning from a template    
For me, it's a combination planner/journal/dashboard   

It can be as fancy as you want   
I think the important planner point is a section with hour headings where I time-block my day    
I insert entries after reviewing my calendars and task list   

Title yyyy-mm-dd Daily Journal
No special filing; just tagged !Journal-NoteDaily   
I have a shortcut to list my journal notes

On the journal side, I insert a photo from my current location,    
screenshots from various sources; weather, tides, calendars, task list

@DTlow Would you be willing to share  a blank daily planner note template? Seeing what you've done successfully will be instructive.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

share  a blank daily planner note template

The planner portion is quite simple266848801_ScreenShot2022-01-13at19_59_39.png.425938104f3cdf76b04b70b3073d8eea.png

You can see that I have daily tasks pre-coded in the template

I time-block my day using entries after reviewing my calendars and task list

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The planner portion is quite simple

You can see that I have daily tasks pre-coded in the template

I time-block my day using entries after reviewing my calendars and task list

Thanks. That visual is very helpful. So this note indicates whether you've done your journal, checked weather, etc but isn't the place that info is kept.

I'm trying to do everything in one daily note: 

My plan was to use a daily planner/calendar/meeting minutes note that I would archive each day as a journal entry. Undone things would carry to the next day but it would be otherwise fresh.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, snsokstan said:

Undone things would carry to the next day but it would be otherwise fresh.

I see that as Task Management; a different topic than a daily planner
And more in line with the title of this discussion 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:37 PM, snsokstan said:

@UConnFan Not clear what "filters api" means. Google didn't help find a "filters application programming interface"

To be honest, I believe this was some sort of typo. I am enjoying using the tasks / reminders!

Thank you