"Always show PDF documents as attachments" setting

Matthias Prem

Idea

Feature request: Please bring back the "Always show PDF documents as attachments" setting for all PDFs.

My facebook post (Evernote Community):
"I'm wondering, if I am the only one who is missing the "Always show PDF documents as attachments" option. Having hundreds of PDFs stored in evernote, I do not want to set all of them one by one to "show as attachment". 😰 Support tells me, they are still unsure, if the are going to implement this function to V10."

In addition: Missing this feature is for me the main reason, why I'm still using the Legacy version.

Best regards
Matthias

• Like 6

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I've seen the complaint several times - maybe folks regard this as a bug rather than a new feature,  but a lot of votes (or contacts with Support) will stress that it is an important feature to get back...

• Like 1

Totally agree that this needs to be reinstated. I am still using Evernote Legacy in most cases so that I have this feature as it is essential to the way I structure a lot of my work related notes.

You would think it would be an easy feature to implement, and an approach of maintaining features of the `old' version prior to adding new would be a good approach in my opinion.

Yes, please bring this feature back! I use some notes to hold/organize multiple PDFs, and it's distracting to see them expanded in the note. As others have mentioned, trying to go through one-by-one to show as an attachment is incredibly time-consuming. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Evernote_E said:

Yes, please bring this feature back! I use some notes to hold/organize multiple PDFs, and it's distracting to see them expanded in the note. As others have mentioned, trying to go through one-by-one to show as an attachment is incredibly time-consuming. 

I've not tried this,  but it works for images - does it help to add a table to your note and paste the PDF file into a cell in the table?  Obviously not a cure,  but it may save headaches while Evernote sorts it out...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

does it help to add a table to your note and paste the PDF file into a cell in the table? 

Nice idea. Works perfectly. I can add comments about the pdf in the table as well so it's quite a good structure. I'd still the ability to change the default but this could be a useful workaround in some circumstances. Many of my pdfs are gathered using the webclipper so it doesn't help there.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Nice idea. Works perfectly. I can add comments about the pdf in the table as well so it's quite a good structure. I'd still the ability to change the default but this could be a useful workaround in some circumstances. Many of my pdfs are gathered using the webclipper so it doesn't help there.

Cheers - Thanks to @Evernote_E from prompting the thought! I'm still using Legacy (I may have mentioned this somewhere...) and until now I've always had the full PDF or an icon.  In Legacy - I just tried it - this table layout gives you a nice panelled note with what amounts to a thumbnail of the PDF contents,  and as you say,  space above and below it to make notes or comments. (Or I guess I could leave a vacant cell next to it and add commentary). 

Quite pleased with myself.  I'll go around for the rest of the day with a smug smile now... 😊

• Like 1

Just tried your idea, @gazumped, and it works! Thanks for the tip! I've been using Legacy, but I'm slowly trying to venture out with v10.... Hopefully Evernote will reinstate the preferences option for PDFs, but this is a good workaround in the meantime. 🙂

• Like 1

Evernote give's a ***** about you. My personal experience from dozens of complaints/feedback, etc. They don't care that your user experience degraded by a factor of 500 due to PDFs being always be shown as preview - totally destroying any read experience... and if you set it manually for each PDF, it will propbably be reset as soon as you have a new computer.

I hate the way evernote forces customers to "their desired user experience" erasing all sort of flexibility and individualism.

Did you ever try to make a travel plan with evernote? You will find yourselve with like 20 PDFs (travel tickets, insurance, hotel reservations, etc. etc.) embedded as prewview in your note - destroying any sort of overview and compactness to find the right document fast when you need it. It is horribly aweful, but they give a *****. Instead they will always try to advertise you to upgrade to the next higher plan. 

It is just annoying. For the same reason I still use legacy... but now I get in trouble due to not existing list types (in legacy), which are automatically created on my smartphone (where I cannot use "legacy" obviusoly) and this destroys formatting all the time. It is so painfull but they still refuse to reinstall the "show pdfs always as file and not as preview"...  

• Evernote Expert

Hope you feel better having had your rant on a one year old thread. Truth is, the users in these forums can/do empathise but if you want to engage with Evernote you'll need to go back to your evidently despised support tickets.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, ph.w. said:

Evernote give's a ***** about you. My personal experience from dozens of complaints/feedback, etc. They don't care that your user experience degraded by a factor of 500 due to PDFs being always be shown as preview - totally destroying any read experience... and if you set it manually for each PDF, it will propbably be reset as soon as you have a new computer.

I hate the way evernote forces customers to "their desired user experience" erasing all sort of flexibility and individualism.

Did you ever try to make a travel plan with evernote? You will find yourselve with like 20 PDFs (travel tickets, insurance, hotel reservations, etc. etc.) embedded as prewview in your note - destroying any sort of overview and compactness to find the right document fast when you need it. It is horribly aweful, but they give a *****. Instead they will always try to advertise you to upgrade to the next higher plan. 

It is just annoying. For the same reason I still use legacy... but now I get in trouble due to not existing list types (in legacy), which are automatically created on my smartphone (where I cannot use "legacy" obviusoly) and this destroys formatting all the time. It is so painfull but they still refuse to reinstall the "show pdfs always as file and not as preview"...  

A couple of thoughts. Did you try the idea posted above of creating a table and putting each PDF in its own cell? I don't know if that would help in your case. Another option would be not to put all 20 PDFs in the same note. Split them up logically into several notes and give all those notes a unique tag. Another option would be to conclude that Evernote doesn't work for the way you want to operate, and find something that does. And if nothing else works for the way you want to operate ... maybe the problem isn't entirely with the software.

• Level 5*

Just a gentle reminder that the Forums have a code of conduct and that the intention here is to give folks an opportunity to post requests,  suggestions and technical queries where other users can comment and offer relevant assistance.  Sniping and personal comments are no part of that.  If another user offends you it is possible to ignore or report them.  The forum Admins will deal with all reports. 

I agree that having the option to universally see all the pdfs as either attachment or long form is really going to be a big deal for a lot of people.  I have also noticed (and posted on this) that even after choosing "view as attachment" it reverts to long form by itself after a while.  I am a little confused if this is still the case because, in the past, I certainly saw that many files that I had changed to "view as attachment" had bounced back to long form but I haven't noticed this recently.  Perhaps this issue was fixed.

• Like 1

I think this is something that EN has fixed.  Last time I tested this many months ago the "view as attachment" setting would not hold and I would see the same pdfs appearing in long form.  I know this for a fact because some of my notes contain 20 pdfs and I literally had to close each one of them manually over and over again.  Now it seems to be sticking.

• Like 1