Had enough of Evernote - any Notion users here?

The Legacy version lags like crazy, and the new version is crippled, with basic things like copying images from Evernote to Gmail non-existent. Thinking whether it's time to jump ship to Notion. For those who also use Notion, what are the detailed pros and cons? I am using it purely for note-taking/archival of knowledge. Any pesky restrictions on the free plan that I need to be aware of? 

• 1 month later...

Notion is more efficient than the latest version of Evernote. But there are two problem that block me for switching :

- no api (so no intégration with scanner for example)

- no local offline version. In case of disaster in there storage servers data are lost (little chance the problem occurs but not impossible ; see the destruction of a datacenter at ovh)

On 4/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, Spirion said:

Notion is more efficient than the latest version of Evernote. But there are two problem that block me for switching :

- no api (so no intégration with scanner for example)

- no local offline version. In case of disaster in there storage servers data are lost (little chance the problem occurs but not impossible ; see the destruction of a datacenter at ovh)

Also, no inline document editing. If you have a document in Notion, you have to download it, work on it, re-upload it. In Evernote I can just open a document straight from the app and save it, and move on. Much more seamless. I don't find Notion useful for documents at all -- unless they're documents you never intend to edit.

• Level 5

Notion was hyped a while ago, this has cooled down notably.

IMHO it is a good app with an interesting approach, but is was not designed (and thus will not really work) as a replacement for EN. Notion is less predefined, more like a toolbox. One needs to develop the use cases and environment in which the information is processed. It is more open, but at the same time more demanding - and the support by tools build into the app is way reduced compared to EN.

Personally I could imagine somebody to use Notion and EN at the same time, each one for the use case it was build for. But I doubt it would make sense, because deciding with a piece of information to put it left or right always creates non communicating silos rapidly. 

There is a free version, anybody can try. But I would not come for advise here, except maybe on how to export data from EN. 

• Like 2

The only thing I keep in mind after my short hype is its text editor with simple and usefull capabilities to create appealing text (foldable lists, /-keystroke, ...). This page is an example of what I mean: EN-10 - was mir noch fehlt (sorry - German).

All other stuff is tooo complicated to maintain (tables, databases, ...). By far not a competitor of EN - but maybe used as an idea generator 😉

Edited by AlbertR
add an example
  • Like 1