Play Store not upgrading to newest version

I'm located in Hungary and I'm a Premium user. I'm trying to evaluate and try the new android version. There is no upgrade option in Play store but strangely enough the pictures are showing the new version. I contacted support and they asked me to wait patiently. So I'm waiting for more than a month already. Any suggestions?

• Evernote Expert

You face the same issue as MANY other Android users.  It is partly dependent on the version of Android you are using but it seemed that the roll-out of 10.0 stopped without any obvious reason for Android 10 and above even though that is what was said to be the governing factor.

A new version (10.4) has been released in the last 24 hours.  It seems that this isn't available more widely yet either.  We don't know what the limitation on release is but it seems that something is in place.

See that EN has just released Android Version 10.4, with quite a lot of fixes:

Additionally they added / restored an EN widget. Missing of widgets was , as far as I can see, one of the most criticized lacks of v10 for Android and led to several harsh 1-star ratings and comments in Google Play Store.

May be they stalled the roll out because of this and other issues. And may be we will see EN v10.4 now soon again in Google Play Store....

Maybe someone could share the apk for manual installation. Would much appreciate that. I have several Android 10 devices but none got EN 10. Even 10.4 ist not being rolled out although it looks promising (had a short touch on it with a (free plan!) user who got it).

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I had a delve into the Play store back end and find that the release of v10 for Android is limited not only to Android 10 and above but also by device.  For example, my wife's phone could get v10.4 but mine a different make but both Android 11 isn't on the list.

I even asked support to share a link to download the apk. No success. Seems that they are pre-programmed for being polite and giving no solutions. I will not renew premium if I wil not be able to receive updates anymore. Is there a sensible human at Evernote who can be a bit helpful?

• Evernote Expert

Evernote support will not provide a link to the APK. You will have to wait until it becomes available via APKMirror or similar service if you wish to sideload. 

Android OS is a fiddly system to develop for. Lots of different versions of the OS, screen resolutions, chip sets and so forth. This means that release can be drawn out. By comparison iOS devices are controlled by Apple so development is generally more straightforward and stable.

There really isn't any great rush. The old version provides a service.

20 hours ago, Alxa said:

Maybe someone could share the apk for manual installation. Would much appreciate that. I have several Android 10 devices but none got EN 10. Even 10.4 ist not being rolled out although it looks promising (had a short touch on it with a (free plan!) user who got it).

Install this EN v10 (1107959) version and then you will get an update to the latest version (v10.4) via Google Play. At least this is how I got to version 10.4.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, matej1990 said:

Install this EN v10 (1107959) version and then you will get an update to the latest version (v10.4) via Google Play. At least this is how I got to version 10.4.

Thanks for the suggestion which I just tried. Unfortunately Google Play does not update this installation on my device afterwards. Since it stays V10.0 - therefore not usable - I had to switch back to 8.13.3. Hopefully 10.X will come to all users eventually soon.

18 hours ago, agsteele said:

Evernote support will not provide a link to the APK. You will have to wait until it becomes available via APKMirror or similar service if you wish to sideload. 

Android OS is a fiddly system to develop for. Lots of different versions of the OS, screen resolutions, chip sets and so forth. This means that release can be drawn out. By comparison iOS devices are controlled by Apple so development is generally more straightforward and stable.

There really isn't any great rush. The old version provides a service.

Yeah, people say that, but I've never heard an Android developer say it. Android has great tools for dealing with different resolutions. iOS, not so much, and iOS devices come in about 20 different screen sizes now too. Don't forget that the virtual machine in Android abstracts away all differences in chip architecture, so you can run Android apps just as natively on x86-64 as on ARM64. All of the comparisons I've read about Android and iOS development say how much easier and quicker it is to develop for Android than for iOS ...

• Like 1

Today I started a new support request. Here is a cutout of the answer:

"...I am sorry to inform you that I have no exact date of when it will be available to more users. I know that we should release it to more users, especially to Premium customers, and you can rest assured that our team is working on fixing the known issues we currently have in this new client, in order to release a product that will satisfy our customer's expectations. I appreciate your continued patience and understanding..."

It seems there are still some major issues that prevent them from deciding to roll out to all users. So week 8 and pending...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:26 PM, Alxa said:

Today I started a new support request. Here is a cutout of the answer:

"...I am sorry to inform you that I have no exact date of when it will be available to more users. I know that we should release it to more users, especially to Premium customers, and you can rest assured that our team is working on fixing the known issues we currently have in this new client, in order to release a product that will satisfy our customer's expectations. I appreciate your continued patience and understanding..."

It seems there are still some major issues that prevent them from deciding to roll out to all users. So week 8 and pending...

This is a complete load of *****.  It's just a company line used to pacify the customer and make you wait patiently without complaining so they don't have to do anything for you.  I got the same response from them when I reported what I thought was a bug.  I came to find out that I was on version 10.12, but the current android version is 10.25.  I have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra with the most up to date software (Android 12).  Explain why they would give me the same bullshit line?  If they really gave a ***** they would have asked what android version I'm using as well as for details about my phone.  But they didn't ask me a damn thing.  They just told me about how it takes longer to rollout versions for older android OS versions.  I have given them a month to at least try to address my issue before discontinuing my subscription.

• Level 5

From which device did you send your support ticket ? From mobile ?

In this case (unless you disabled it) they received an activity log, with all necessary details. No need to ask then.

Not updating may be device specific, maybe you disabled it yourself. But go ahead, save the subscription money.