Issue logging in across Evernote versions? Can't log in to iPad (8.24.6) but credentials work fine for iPhone (10.2) and Mac (10.4)

Hi all,

I ran into an issue yesterday where I was no longer able to log-in to the Evernote app on my iPad. I have an older iPad (mini 2) which works great - it just doesn't support iOS 13, which means I have to run the older version of Evernote (8.24.6). My credentials are working fine on my iPhone app and the mac app and I have a plus account, which should mean that 3 devices are supported. I tried uninstalling the iPad app and re-installing it (having to re-download the older version from the app store as it pointed out my operating system does not support the most recent version). When I try logging in I can enter my username and password, but I get an error message that just reads "Error error sign-in" with no additional details.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Having the same problem & error message but with iPhone (iOS 13, EN 8.24.6). Issue began after a password change on Friday Dec 11th. Seems others running the older version like us are experiencing the same problem from what I've seen on other posts.

I am experiencing the same issue as jujuberry136. We have multiple iPads that we use Evernote with. First reported problem was 12/12/2020. Users can login on any device (Windows PC/Android/iPhone) without error. But the iPads continuously prompt back a 'sign in error'. This occurs on the iPad even when trying to access the web sign in using Safari. Our organization has reached out to Evernote support but no word as of yet. 

I am facing a similar issue here. My iPhone is running iOS 12.4.1, with Evernote 8.24.6.

After I logged out from the iPhone today, I can't login anymore. Always being prompted with "Error Sign In". Not even after several attempt of uninstall/reinstall of Evernote, and phone restart.

Slight update - I entered this a bug through the evernote support system (again - but this time with screenshot of the error). Supposedly may see some response in ~48 hours, but it may be useful if folks like @Ascot and @Wildlife Academy who also have premium and plus accounts to enter a bug report into the system. If more of us report this, we may see some sort of actual fix implemented (or at least explained).

I'm having this issue too.

I can log in absolutely fine from the app on my macbook, my iPhone, from the web version on a PC... but it won't let me log in via the app on my older 2012 iPad (4th gen). I supposedly downloaded the version of evernote that was compatible for my system (iOS 10.3.3) as prompted by the Appstore, but every time I enter my credentials I get the "error sign in" message as stated above...

I'd like to add that I tried uninstalling and installing again... also uninstalling, re-booting device, then installing again. Nothing works so far.

Hi all I started a request on Twitter a couple weeks ago and finally got support through email on 12/24. Will update. Here are the 3 forum posts that seem to encompass this issue which I think has to do with those running the earlier iOS 13 versions (pre-13.2) which limits you to Evernote version 8.24.6

Are others running iOS 13.0, 13.1 with Evernote version 8.24.6? You can check EN version in Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Evernote. This problem seems to have begun around 12/11/20 and appears that web and desktop versions are unaffected. Also, neither changing password nor redownloading app resolves the "Error Error sign in" issue.

Evernote (Error Error sign in).jpeg

• Like 2

@qveenissac - thanks for thread wrangling! Supposed Customer Service was supposed to have resolved the bug by today, but no change on my end. I'm following up with another email and pointing them to these threads as well. Any news from your engagement?

Per your question: My issue continues to be with the iPad running iOS 12 (cannot support iOS 13). My iPhone (running 14.3) is still able to log-in to the app without error.

I came on to see if I was alone. Apparently not. I am running ios 13.1.3  and Evernote  8.24.6. It started when I noticed I had to remove an android device in Vietnam that is definitely not mine. So changed my password, and haven't been able to log back in on my iPhone since. Web and windows continue to work fine. Thanks for your perseverance

Update from Tech Support: Per an email this morning, they claim that my account is being blocked by Evernote security measures and recommend the use of a VPN to log in. Has anyone also facing this issue tried using a VPN to log-in? Just looking for others experience before going down too far this path myself.

7 hours ago, jujuberry136 said:

Update from Tech Support: Per an email this morning, they claim that my account is being blocked by Evernote security measures and recommend the use of a VPN to log in. Has anyone also facing this issue tried using a VPN to log-in? Just looking for others experience before going down too far this path myself.

So they're saying their App is actively blocking you from logging into your own account and their solution is to use your own VPN to work around that. SMH.

They obviously did an update that caused this problem and are too lazy to fix it because most people probably have the latest IOS.

@Craybott - I did end up downloading a VPN and trying to access that way. Same error message.

@banduzoxx - yeah, i'm not sure why the VPN was suggested as I'm able to log-in with no issues on a newer iPhone and Mac application without the error, which is on the same wifi network. Following back up with IT Support.

@qveenissac - anything new on your request? @Ascot - any response back to your ticket? I ended up having to reply back to their email to try to get this raised to someone who might be able to help.

• Sad 1

I have the same issue as is described here ( iPad Air). I have uninstalled and reinstalled changed passwords etc. other access is fine. 

Disappointed to be getting only very basic support responses given that this is now  a common known problem.  

• Like 1

Same sign-in error problem here.  I have an Apple iPad Air, 2013 model, running iOS 12.5 (can't update past iOS v12 as iPad now too old and wont support any later/current versions of iOS).  iPad has EN-for-iOS v8.24.6.

Anybody know what the latest is about being able to use EN on iPad?

Anybody know if its possible, at all, to use latest version of EN-iOS with an older iPad?

5 hours ago, jujuberry136 said:

@qveenissac - anything new on your request? @Ascot - any response back to your ticket? I ended up having to reply back to their email to try to get this raised to someone who might be able to help.

Nada. Will update when I hear something. And re: the VPN suggestion--seems like a runaround to me. Can we either get a fix EN? ...or let us know if this is a permanent sitch so we can move on to another note app and stop the limbo! 

For THOSE WHO NEED TO ACCESS EVERNOTE NOTES ON MOBILE IMMEDIATELY: I do have a workaround I've been utilizing the past week or so. It utilizes Notes (Apple's note app) & works best for those who have an Apple desktop (MacBook, iMac, etc) but I'll give Windows PC users an option at the end. The pros are you have access to your EN notes on mobile and they'll contain all the bullet points, checkmark boxes, photos, tables, colored text, font sizing, fonts can be changed but the cons are there is no highlighter, many imported notes seem to have an extra line between them (as if you pressed enter) in bullet point or numbered sections--not a huge deal but just FYI. The main con for someone of the OCD tribe such as myself is that I have to update 2 note apps with identical changes/additions so that when/if EN does have a fix I'm up to date on EN. However you don't have to do this or if you want you could just *asterisk the end of note titles in Notes app to eventually update in EN should EN give us a fix. The desktop Notes app allows for a bit more customization than the mobile app. I recommend watching a brief how-to on YouTube if you've never utilized Notes before as the app is a bit more streamlined than Evernote but it does have a pretty vast array of capabilities/customization I was not initially aware of.

Okay now how to do it:
1. Open the EN desktop client on your MacBook, iMac, etc.
2. Open the note you want to move. If you want to move multiple notes press CMD and simultaneously select the other notes. If you want to select all notes press CMD + A.
3. File > Export Note. Chose a name for the .enex file and save (I'd save to desktop for easy reference).
4. Make sure you are logged into your iCloud account. Now open Notes on your screen (it's in Applications).
5. Select a folder under "iCloud" (i.e. Notes). Just be sure it is under "iCloud" NOT "On My Mac" as importing into iCloud is what will allow you to access on your mobile. 
6. File > Import to Notes. Select the *.enex file you saved (to the desktop). You notes will begin importing. They will sort alphabetically in a new folder but there is an option to pin frequently used notes to the top by right clicking. You can also move the notes to various folders however I recommend using subfolders within iCloud so that you can access them via your mobile (iPhone or iPad)
**For Windows PC users: You can access the Apple Notes app on a Windows PC but you have to do it via the web client. Login via iCloud.com and you can access your notes there. Accessing them via your iPhone or iPad isn't a problem obviously since these are Apple devices. However, importing your Evernote notes first thru a computer to then access on a mobile device is a bit trickier. You will need to backup your Evernote note(s) as I explained above. I recommend putting the file on a flash drive. Then you will need to borrow or somehow utilize an Apple computer and if necessary, log out of the current iCloud account so you can log in to your iCloud account. Now you can import your notes as I explained as of step #4 above. Just be sure to log out of your iCloud account when finished (this will also make sure no one on that computer can access your notes). Once the EN .enex file has imported into Notes, you will be able to access them on the app on your iPhone/iPad. 

Hope this helps some of you...even if only to access your grocery list while actually at the grocery store lol.

Bad Luck See Ya?

Abby S. (Evernote Help and Learning) 

Dec 30, 2020, 9:36 PST 

Hi Therese,

Thank you for providing me the OS version of your device.

Please be informed that the new Evernote app requires iOS 13 or above, this might be the reason you are having a login issue. For this matter, I'm afraid we can no longer offer official support for these older versions of OS.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

@ThereseP - thanks for sharing the info from Evernote. That is... not ideal, but helpful information. I'm unclear how this jives with what the CEO said in the Dec 10 "State of the Product" statement. I had originally thought that they meant "legacy app" for iOS systems, but reading again today shows that legacy was only meant to be Mac an Windows; however, since older Android phones are still being allowed to use the legacy app - I guess I had assumed they hadn't completely cut off the older iOS apps as well? Apparently a bad assumption on my part and VERY bad communication from Evernote.

No response yet to my new ticket, but I'll see if I get a similar response as you did.

22 hours ago, qveenissac said:

I received the same silly response pointing to vpn and also communicated that I had the same error message with the VPN. 

Well this lack of ownership and adequate response is too much so after over 10 years of being a premium customer I have decided to walk as it shows that they have twisted priorities.

Already started migrating my notebooks, bye Evernote. 

Abby S. (Evernote Help and Learning) 

Dec 30, 2020, 16:59 PST 

@Ascot @jujuberry136 

my premium subscription was debited yesterday 🙃

Hi Therese,

I understand that you want the old version of Evernote be back on your device.
I'm afraid it will not be possible, as old version is only available for Mac and Windows.

If there's anything else I can do for you today, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Abby S.
Customer Service Representative

• Level 5

iOS does not allow to go back to older versions of any app. It always has the most recent version loaded, unless you do not update, in which case the loaded version stays. If already on v10, this is not a good idea, because the clients gain with each release.

A real old client can only be loaded from the App Store to a device that is running an older version of iOS (like 12.5), where v10 is not supported. There the AppStore will offer the youngest version that can run in this iOS release. 

@PinkElephant I think what most people on this thread are encountering is that they are on iPhones/iPads/other older iOS devices that cannot upgrade to the most current iOS required by EN v10. As you point out, in that case if you uninstall EN and try to re-install, you are prompted to install EN 8.24. However, what our various interactions with customer service seems to be indicating is that EN 8.24 will not actually work and if you download that version of the app as prompted by the App Store, you cannot login with your credentials (you get "Error Error Sign In"). I had assumed there was some sort of bug, but it's looking like this may have been instituted by EN given their final migration of EN v10 on iOS over the fall and winter. It is unclear to me from the "State of the Product" blog post if EN v10 is going to be made further backwards compatible for older devices or if they are instituting a hard cut-off from legacy OS. It would be handy to know prior to paying for Premium or Plus membership going forward if I can actually use their product on my current devices or if I should downgrade my account. Would have also been nice for them to make some sort of announcement that if users are using older devices their EN app will no longer function as of ~Dec 10, 2020.

@ThereseP have you asked for your money back? Seems silly to pay for a service if you can't actually use it.

• Like 2

@jujuberry136 Thank you for starting this thread. It has been incredibly informational.

I had assumed it was a Mac OS issue being that I received an error when trying to access our account via web login using the iPad Safari browser.

For any users on the iPad that do not have the budget to upgrade each device, I was able to access Evernote through the web login using a different browser. There are several to try. We use Puffin.

• Like 2

Guys I JUST FIGURED OUT A WORKAROND ON MOBILE! (And one that actually access EN not a whole other note app!) I fell upon a mobile access fix last night for those of us who can't get EN v10. I'm sure others probably knew of this before me but I didn't until I stumbled upon it by messing around.

... at first I tried this with 3rd party browsers but then I found it also works on Safari! OK so:

1.open Safari on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Login to the Evernote site (here: https://www.evernote.com/Login.action). Then once it logs you in it'll display the Account Summary page.
3. Request the desktop version of the page (for me it's found by tapping on the AA in the upper left corner). The page may or may not change it's layout--mine does not.
4. Now after the page reloads into "desktop version"--remember it may look exactly the same as the mobile version--tap on the Evernote logo at the top left. Boom! It takes you into your notes!

Tapping the Evernote logo does nothing UNLESS you request the desktop version of the page first. Granted, the functionality is quite cumbersome on such a small screen formatted for a larger desktop screen. You will, however, be able to access your notes and read/write (there is even the ability for a bit of font/color customization). This is why I believe Evernote tries to direct mobile users to the app vs. the mobile web version. The latter is just a bit tedious to use. iPad users will probably have an easier time. But it works for those who just need to access the information or make basic changes!

59 minutes ago, qveenissac said:

Guys I JUST FIGURED OUT A WORKAROND ON MOBILE! (And one that actually access EN not a whole other note app!) I fell upon a mobile access fix last night for those of us who can't get EN v10. I'm sure others probably knew of this before me but I didn't until I stumbled upon it by messing around.

... at first I tried this with 3rd party browsers but then I found it also works on Safari! OK so:

1.open Safari on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Login to the Evernote site (here: https://www.evernote.com/Login.action). Then once it logs you in it'll display the Account Summary page.
3. Request the desktop version of the page (for me it's found by tapping on the AA in the upper left corner). The page may or may not change it's layout--mine does not.
4. Now after the page reloads into "desktop version"--remember it may look exactly the same as the mobile version--tap on the Evernote logo at the top left. Boom! It takes you into your notes!

Tapping the Evernote logo does nothing UNLESS you request the desktop version of the page first. Granted, the functionality is quite cumbersome on such a small screen formatted for a larger desktop screen. You will, however, be able to access your notes and read/write (there is even the ability for a bit of font/color customization). This is why I believe Evernote tries to direct mobile users to the app vs. the mobile web version. The latter is just a bit tedious to use. iPad users will probably have an easier time. But it works for those who just need to access the information or make basic changes!

EHHH WRONG. Okay kinda...I jumped the gun a bit in my excitement. So I've been messing around with this desktop version of the mobile site in Safari thing. It seemed as though I couldn't tap on another note at all--either from the left or middle column...doing so would just reload the page (which sometimes took a min). The Safari mobile site would only display the most recently edited note at the top. Any sorting changes made on the DESKTOP client do not affect the mobile web version. The mobile version only displayed the most recently edited note. So at first I thought, if you need to access a note on Safari mobile w/ the workaround I was going to suggest it be the last one you edited on desktop (as tapping any other note on mobile web didn't do anything but reload the page as I prev stated).

But then....

I tested other browsers. Firefox was a bust. But Chrome! The whole "desktop version of the mobile site workaround" does seem to work on the Chrome browser. Now here's the weird part. I had to tap thru the "older version" message I got from Chrome along the way. Mind you these were fresh installs of these other browser apps. After doing this now I seem to be able to use Safari just fine as I can with Chrome...that is I can select and switch thru different notes no problem. I know something is different because I used to have dark mode and now Safari is in light mode. (PS: if you don't see the formatting options initially at the top of the note, tap somewhere in the note and they should pop up on top)

I'm testing it on some other 3rd party browsers currently to see which is the easiest to work with. But if you just need to access a note try doing the "desktop version of the mobile site" workaround on Safari I detailed in my first post today to see if it works for you. If not try it in Chrome and if you also have to tap thru an "older version" message in Chrome go back to Safari and see if it changed and works full fuction now. As it stands with Safari (or Chrome) for me, now the only drawback is the tiny font on the tiny screen as it's the desktop version meant for a larger screen. Apologies for being so wordy--just trying to get any helpful info out.

For those looking for a new simple basic note app that you can access across platforms, Google Keep is good. Depending on what you’re looking for, It doesn’t have the bells and whistles that Evernote has, but if you just want to write basic notes and access them across all devices, it’s perfect and you use your gmail account if you have one to access it. I think premium just gives you more space.

Im not going to migrate my Evernote notes and will keep it as it is on my desktop. But my biggest gripe with this current issue is that I can’t access my mobile notes (I write and jot down story ideas to expand on later) on desktop. I know choosing a new service is annoying and I tried google keep and it works for the basics.

@banduzoxx What do you mean you cannot access your mobile notes on desktop? Most of us here can access desktop (or web) but not mobile! Just curious as maybe there is a solution for you if you're having the opposite problem as us... Also can you import notes into Google Keep?

1 hour ago, qveenissac said:

@banduzoxx What do you mean you cannot access your mobile notes on desktop? Most of us here can access desktop (or web) but not mobile! Just curious as maybe there is a solution for you if you're having the opposite problem as us... Also can you import notes into Google Keep?

No I’m having the same problem. To clarify I cannot access my mobile app I should say. So when I want to jot something down when I’m out and about, like everyone else, I can’t use Evernote on my phone to do that.

I can still access all my notes on the desktop/ web, but I find it redundant to add new notes because most of the new notes stem from when I’m using my phone which is why I’m suggesting Google Keep.

i haven’t looked into importing, like I said I’m using Evernote for old notes and Google keep going forward with new notes.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue. Can not login due to no internet connection which is the case only for Evernote but not for other apps on my iPad! I sent an email to their support. No solution yet. I am very disappointed and I start checking alternatives after those many years. 

GUYS HAVE YOU NOTICED IT WORKS?!? I was using my workaround and thought let me just try and bam I was able to login to the app! It took 10 sec or so to login but it worked!

And if for some reason it stops the workaround still works (login at https://www.evernote.com/Login.action then request desktop version of website then tap Evernote logo in top left...it will open your notes). A tip tho: to bold/italicize/underline just highlight the text, tap it, tap the > arrow and do it that way it's easier.

@qveenissac - I can confirm it worked on my device as well!! HOORAY! It took a bit to log-in and then the app re-loaded all of my notes so booting it up took a couple minutes, but they are all there and I CAN ACCESS THEM!

No more log-in error, yippee!

@banduzoxx and @Wildlife Academy - have you guys tried logging in recently? I turned my ipad off and on before re-launching the app to test if it was working for me if that helps at all.

Guy, I’m having issue login on as well.

So, my story is, im using iPhone 8 Plus iOS 14.3 previously, then I transfer the data to my new iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 14.3.

After transfer, I need to login right? But the app is showing error for me to login using my existing password. At first, I thought it’s my password, so I tried reset my password, then it doesn’t work. Then I tried reinstall the app. It doesn’t work as well.

Lastly, I tried using VPN. It works! 

Why the VPN is working I have no idea. The thing is I’m quarantine in a hotel room in Thailand and I am using a VPN from Malaysia. Guys, try using VPN from different country.

Hi @CLO1369 - it sounds like the error you were encountering was perhaps a bit bit different from the one this thread was originally created for. Many of us were on devices that couldn't support the latest iOS (e.g. pre iOS 14) which means that EN v10 wouldn't run. It sounds like your error, which was resolved via VPN, was a password error with v10.

But good to know that the VPN solution recommended could be a word around for other issues!

I heard from EN Support that they had pushed a backend improvement a couple days, which may be why we were able to regain access on older machines.