Do not update "Updated date" when moving note between notebooks

Sukjoon Kim

Idea

In original Evernote, when i move a note from one notebook to another notebook, no change on "Updated date".

But in a new Evernote, when I move a note, just move a note, the Update date also changed.

Is it a feature or fixed problem?

I'd like to restore the old feature: When I just move a note between notebooks, it's not an update!

So, When i move a note, or when i tag a note, It SHOULD NOT update the update date!

I hope It's ready in a near future.

• Like 2

15 replies to this idea

I too, would like to be able to move notes between notebooks and add/remove tags without changing the modified date.  I sort using the modified date and want to be able to freely reorganize notes without changing the sort order. 

• Like 1

It is ludicrous that organising notes by moving folders and tagging is updating the note edit date - this needs to be changed to "the old way" so that only editing (not reorganising) notes changes the edit date.

I can see no reason for the new way to be the intended way of it working, must be a bug...?

p.s. I moved a five year old note into a new folder structure and suddenly it is top of the list..... not what I wanted to happen!

• Like 1

@DTLow Your prefix suggestion is an unworkable hack, going against the ease-of-use of Evernote.

- Any content change in a note should trigger the update date to change

- Any metadata change should NOT trigger an update date refresh - categorisations , folders, labels, etc.

Looks like majority of people in this thread are of this advise. 

Usability of Evernote has seriously dropped for me since this regression : any reorg of my notes breaks the history.  Last update date is an important element of a note : "When was I working on that topic", or "when did I last speak with that person".  But when I move older notes in a separate folder, all this info is lost, forcing me to explicitly write down dates in the note itself ...  not a good workflow !

This is a problem for me too. I want to reorganize notes without changing their "date updated", as the contents of the note don't change when filling them into a new folder. 

• Level 5*
On 6/17/2021 at 7:36 AM, Pere said:

This is a problem for me too. I want to reorganize notes without changing their "date updated", as the contents of the note don't change when filling them into a new folder. 

Imho Any update should result in the "date updated" being changed

fwiw  I prefix the note titles with the subject date, for example 2021-06-20 Receipt [Groceries] ...

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, JanLmns said:

Any metadata change should NOT trigger an update date refresh ..

Are you aware Note Title is a metadata item?

• Level 5

IMHO this whole thread is pretty pointless: There can’t be a million different definitions of “update”. A note is touched, edited, moved, whatsoever. And this means updated in the broadest sense of it.

If you imagine a table of all different actions, and add a switch to define whether it should update the date or not, it is obvious that the combination of possible on/off choices grows beyond all reasonable means.

It really makes no sense at all … and is often the result of (instead of accepting it is a system defined field under system control)  building complex systems around these dates. My advise: Go and use tasks in the future for targeted actions, let the system default fields like creation and modified untouched.

• Like 1

@PinkElephant

Note that in Windows, moving a file or changing the file name does not change the modified date.

Ditto in Dropbox.

This is a pretty standard convention.

@EN: It is a design fail to change the modified date when changing tags, moving a note to a new notebooks, changing the note title. 

• Level 5

Actually I don’t care what Windows does.

It is implement as it is, and there are reasons why it is implemented that way. A action on a note is documented as an update.

If you want a change, ask EN via support ticket or feedback.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Moving something and changing the content are two different things.  Some view tag as part of the content of a note so a tag change equals modified.  Moving a note is a different story.  One opinion in the wilderness.

• Level 5

You mean „listen to what I want. I, I, I“ (for full effect imagine a little child, stomping little feet on a dusty road, making little puffs of dust). If somebody says „WE the users“ it often means „I, the most important user of all“. 

Meanwhile: Some users like it, some users hate it, and most users don’t even notice (as they probably never notice agitated posts in this forum).

• Like 2

I'll explain you an escenario where this is affecting me negatively.

Currently, I have all my ~20k notes sorted in a multitude of folders, each one for a project. Now, as I'm collaborating with more and more people, I want to change the system. Now I want to use tags for projects and folders for sharing. So, I would have a folder for personal notes, another for notes shared with a team, then a folder for notes shared with person A, and then another folder for notes shared with person B. 

Making the change, implies moving almost all my notes. This means that they all will have the same "updated" date and thus everything will be mixed up when notes are sorted by last edit time.

This is a mess.

So yes, organizing notes should not update their date.

• Evernote Expert

I don't think there's is any dissent from the idea of at least giving users an option on this. But these forums are very much user to user. So the abusive rants that appear from time to time do grate. If we want Evernote to hear this requirement then far better to raise the issue in a support ticket.