V10.1: still cumbersome order of reminders (please show dated reminders first)

stocky2605

Idea

Hi EN Team,

I'd like to have my reminders sorted by due date, earliest due date at top - unfortunately reminders without a due date are shown first, then those with a due date.
If you want to check what reminders are due within next few days then you have first to scroll through all these "no due date" reminders 😞

This has been alreday fixed in the Mac version, please fix this in the iOS version, too.*

*) btw, that means currently we've different implementations: Mac and Web are working as requested - iOS shows reminders without a due date first, then those with a due date

• Like 2

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

btw, that means currently we've different implementations: Mac and Web are working as requested - iOS shows reminders without a due date first, then those with a due date

Shocking. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, CalS said:

Shocking. 

?? well, if you have 50 reminders (without due date - just as a folluw-up - maybe I should use a Tag instead?) to scroll through to see the firstone with a due date, e.g. today or tomorrow, yes, that is shocking. Somehow 🙂

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

?? well, if you have 50 reminders (without due date - just as a folluw-up - maybe I should use a Tag instead?) to scroll through to see the firstone with a due date, e.g. today or tomorrow, yes, that is shocking. Somehow 🙂

Nah, more EN snark than anything else, shocking relative to the engine to drive sameness isn't. 

Sorting reminders has never worked on IOS which has been frustrating for me as well..  At least the new IOS sorts other search results now.

• Like 1

the legacy App on iOS is doing well sorting reminders for me - you see the early due dates first and at the end of the list those notes with just a reminder set without due date. Using „all reminders“ list or using the toolbar icon within a notebook.

I just wondering to see this in the new version, too - currently, as mentioned above, we see the notes without a due date first, followed by those with a due date. I was complaining about this wrong sequence in the Mac version and it was fixed with one of the first updates of V10 - still missing in the iOS app.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

the legacy App on iOS is doing well sorting reminders for me - you see the early due dates first and at the end of the list those notes with just a reminder set without due date. Using „all reminders“ list or using the toolbar icon within a notebook.

I just wondering to see this in the new version, too - currently, as mentioned above, we see the notes without a due date first, followed by those with a due date. I was complaining about this wrong sequence in the Mac version and it was fixed with one of the first updates of V10 - still missing in the iOS app.

Is that with saved reminder searches?  I have saved searches for Today, Tomorrow, and Late.  I have never had those in date order on IOS.  Am I missing something?

Side note, these saved searches really work well on 6.25 Windows where you can save views.  Another plus for previous EN.

• Level 5*
On 10/30/2020 at 4:49 AM, stocky2605 said:

I'd like to have my reminders sorted by due date, earliest due date at top - unfortunately reminders without a due date are shown first, then those with a due date.
If you want to check what reminders are due within next few days then you have first to scroll through all these "no due date" reminders 😞

My comment is more Best Practices
I'm not a fan of the Reminders tab/section
On my Mac, I use a customized view generated by script

I only have a few undated reminders, and about 40 dated reminders
My preference is undated reminders at the top of the list so I don't have to scroll down   

Undated task notes are only flagged as reminders if they are Next-Actions
I have someday/maybe notes, but I don't flag them as Reminders

I also have tags for priority; Urgent/Important
and when; Soon/Later

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

My comment is more Best Practices
I'm not a fan of the Reminders tab/section
On my Mac, I use a customized view generated by script

I only have a few undated reminders, and about 40 dated reminders
My preference is undated reminders at the top of the list so I don't have to scroll down   

Undated task notes are only flagged as reminders if they are Next-Actions
I have someday/maybe notes, but I don't flag them as Reminders

I also have tags for priority; Urgent/Important
and when; Soon/Later

I started with some no date reminders but that just got too confusing for me.  I converted those to a !!period (!!Weekly for example) tag for review.  Any other reminders now are dated and accessed via saved searches which appear on the front of the saved search list (!Today for example) or hotkeys I created with AutoHotKey.  IOS is the one spot this does not work well as remindertime is not an option in the original or added back search options.  As always horses for courses.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

the „saved search for reminder notes“ sounds interesting - will check this later. Thank you.

Or, a step further, a TOC generated by Filterize.net... 

In case you do:

• Today   remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1 -reminderdonetime:*
  • Late  remindertime:* -remindertime:day -reminderdonetime:*
  • Tomorrow  -reminderdonetime:* remindertime:day+1 -remindertime:day+2
  • Etc.

This is what it looks like on Windows 6.25 with left panel closed when you hit the search icon.

ScreenClip.png.4bd9343b278962d64d6929d180c479ac.pngZ

EDIT:  The 7 and 8 reminders are remnants.  I could drop dated from the 7's, too lazy for that.  And 8 is just in case I goof up.  Belts and suspenders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

but it‘s still an issue on iOS app, because there is no way to sort search results by due dates (e. g. next 7) 🙄

the good old „reminders“ view in legacy App is exactly what I‘m missing - dated reminders first, sorted by due date, followed by undated reminders - as it is implented on Web and Mac 😇

6 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

but it‘s still an issue on iOS app, because there is no way to sort search results by due dates (e. g. next 7) 🙄

Actually, this is an issue in both iOS and Mac.... as neither allows you to sort search results by reminder date.  Hopefully both will be solved at the some time.  Consider adding your voice to this topic and hopefully they will fix this.

@CalS One very cool feature of v10 is that you can assign keyboard shortcuts in Mac for Cmd+1 through Cmd+9 if you put those saved searches in the first 10 spots of your shortcuts list.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, aukirk said:

@CalS One very cool feature of v10 is that you can assign keyboard shortcuts in Mac for Cmd+1 through Cmd+9 if you put those saved searches in the first 10 spots of your shortcuts list.

Thanks but Windows user.  I did something similar rolling my own hotkeys with AutoHotKey.  Ctrl 1 2 3 are Today Late Tomorrow searches.  For reminder maintenance Alt 1 2 3 are Create/Complete Change Clear.  FWIW. 

5 hours ago, CalS said:

Thanks but Windows user.  I did something similar rolling my own hotkeys with AutoHotKey.  Ctrl 1 2 3 are Today Late Tomorrow searches.  For reminder maintenance Alt 1 2 3 are Create/Complete Change Clear.  FWIW. 

Does the Windows v10 not have the equivalent of keyboard shortcut for top 10 shortcut spots?  If not... so much for feature parity.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, aukirk said:

Does the Windows v10 not have the equivalent of keyboard shortcut for top 10 shortcut spots?  If not... so much for feature parity.

Not sure. 

The experience I am having is that I cannot click to sort by 'REMINDER TIME'.  I almost feel like I must be missing something.  I feel that way because the fact that I can add the column to the view should permit a sort by the value.  Am I missing something or is this software now missing what to me was a elemental use when I created saved searches and used that to sort chronologically?  This can't be where this is going to be left, right? This can't be something that is not obviously an basic expectation. It is hard to think that I am writing about this in a forum feeling guilty about not reading  every post.  I think I was able to sort a column to with a click in a file explorer GUI about 25 years ago.  Such a basic expectation not implemented on release seems quite disappointing on subscription software/service.  Is iit true that I lost this feature because of iOS?  If so, just - WOW!

Screen_Capture_-_Nov_5__9_17_PM.thumb.png.41b52fe2de3eab529cf6ff6ee64d6143.png

• Like 1