How to change note settings to start in title when creating new note?

Lance -

Idea

I don’t see any settings that I had used previously that allowed me to set each new note to open with the curser in the Title of the note. It definitely saves time when starting a new note to have this option rather than having to click into the title every time you start a new note. Hopefully this feature can be added back in. Thanks!

• Like 7

36 replies to this idea

@PinkElephant different people use the app for different purposes, as you said. This thread was started for those of us who primarily use the Title field, as most of my notes I create only have that field - so for us it's pretty frustrating to not even have the option to set that as default, but 100% of the time have to click up to it manually.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Clean ? Reliable ?

Your idea of it seems to have 99+ „IF“ clauses executing when you start the app. Plus another set when opening a note. Plus another set when running a search. Plus …

Because this is what make settings stick - the program asks „What are the settings ?“ at the start of every action, before working on the users demand.

In the end you get a totally customized program, unusable for lack of speed and infested by bugs. And users complaining because they don’t understand their own settings. My preference is indeed clean and reliable, so keep it lean in the first place.

Dude, stop commenting if you don't have anything productive to say. Clearly you don't care about this feature, which is fine. It's just belittling at this point. Requesting a small functionality addition (which doesn't take away from anyone's user experience) to an extremely prominent and basic feature of the app that used to exist is super reasonable.

• Like 2

I find this to be the absolute worst feature. Every time I write a note I want to start with the note title and don't want it in the note itself. I write hundreds of notes and this is seriously a dealbreaker that has me at the point of giving up with Evernote, after being a premium user for years. Whoever came up with that, and with not including an easy option to turn it off, should be chased out of the Evernote headquarters. 

• Like 1

I am having the same issue. I thought in prior versions there was a setting to default the cursor to title or body when creating a new note. I'm having trouble finding that setting. I would prefer my new notes to start with the title.

• Like 2
On 10/25/2020 at 10:48 AM, Lance - said:

I don’t see any settings that I had used previously that allowed me to set each new note to open with the curser in the Title of the note. It definitely saves time when starting a new note to have this option rather than having to click into the title every time you start a new note. Hopefully this feature can be added back in. Thanks!

In the meantime, a workaround is to use the keyboard shortcut Shift-Tab to go from the body back to the title without needing to use the mouse.

• Like 4

The previous ver did have the option to default the cursor to the title line.

I’m getting weary of dealing with their “versions “. It seems there are always issues.

a few weeks ago, there was no ability to print. They did fix this. But, how in the hell did they miss this?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Your opinion ...

Personally I prefer to start right away with note taking, and have more time to think about the title when I am done and save the new note.

So either way you define it, some will like the outcome better than others.

But maybe the concept of different use cases is foreign to you - it is just deaf devs and no-brain employees you encounter day in, day out ?! Must be a heroic life you are living, struggling waist deep through such incompetence ...

I find the change to the default behavior annoying and disruptive to my workflow as well. It's something the UX designers should have considered EN users would find problematic, especially when people are creating a high volume of notes.

Why did this change? Also anyone on this board reading this ill venmo you $20 I'd you can tell me how to Export a note into a PDF. Currently when I export a note into a PDF the margins are very narrow and the PDF is cut off. It has nothing to do with my print settings it is a Evernote issue. When I select print save as PDF and error box pops up that says this PDF may not be formatted correctly something about they don’t have enough fairies working at the time and that I should wait for the format to be corrected by Evernote staff I wait for three days now I just need a damn PDF of my notes. 😔😳

• Level 5

Just tried it on my Mac. EN Mac 10.7.6, MacOS 11.2.

Tried it with several notes, text only and containing text + pictures. Open the note, 3 dots top right, print note, then in the MacOS print dialogue select „save as pdf“. Margins are fixed, but acceptable for a standard A4 portrait format. I resized one note with a table containing pictures. When I exceeded the page margins, pictures got cut off at the right, and page breaks sometimes happen in the midst of a picture. OK, EN has not page layout, if this is a problem one needs to use a page oriented program like word, pages and the like.

The PDFs were all created in a blitz, and in no case I have got an error message.

Seriously I really hate what Evernote have done recently and I'm now looking to cancel. I'm been with them for years. They seem to have decided that their products needs all these fancy features in some regards but that they also no best and take away others. Just let us customize it how we want!!!! I can't even customize the tool bar now

I always go to the title first and sometimes that's my only note. Even if it's not I have to click on the title. Let the users have a choice.

All I want is a clean, simple, reliable note taking tool, at least let me customize.

Anyone got recommendations for other products?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Clean ? Reliable ?

Your idea of it seems to have 99+ „IF“ clauses executing when you start the app. Plus another set when opening a note. Plus another set when running a search. Plus …

Because this is what make settings stick - the program asks „What are the settings ?“ at the start of every action, before working on the users demand.

In the end you get a totally customized program, unusable for lack of speed and infested by bugs. And users complaining because they don’t understand their own settings. My preference is indeed clean and reliable, so keep it lean in the first place.

• Level 5

You and me may have dissenting views.

My argument is factual, yours is personal. I simply say: There are good reasons to avoid putting a setting on each and everything. But there is evidence that some are not put off by reason. Some call it vision, I tend to call it wishful thinking.

Time will tell … I doubt we will see a lot of new settings emerge from the EN devs lurking.

And no, I don’t think we are becoming dudes, not in this life.

• Level 5

Personally I like it they way it is now, but I would no think about chasing other human beings around if they decided otherwise.

There are some who like to start writing content right away, and others who like it neatly titled before starting to write. It is one of these questions you have to decide, knowing that you will make a part of your users unhappy. This thread is by no means representative, because who feels good with how it works now is not very likely to join the discussion here.

Having settings for every little detail is IMHO not a good idea. On an app that is already claimed to be slow by some users (Not from me, for me it works acceptable), adding a bunch of settings will not help to make things faster.

Dear all-

Is there a section where feature requests can be posted to the Evernote development team, and have users vote for them in order to sort most-wanted features?

I too would very much like the option to enter note title first.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Cheers,

Eric

On 11/8/2021 at 12:54 PM, rapunzel1977 said:

Whoever came up with that, and with not including an easy option to turn it off, should be chased out of the Evernote headquarters. 

A little extreme, no? Or maybe just hyperbolic frustration?

I'm just going to throw my 2 cents worth of noise into the mix here...

Personally, I don't really care where it sets the focus initially -- at the title or in the body. Whatever.

If I am typing a 1,000+ character note, having to type one extra character/key-stroke at the beginning (whether tab or shift-tab) doesn't seem too hard. Seems like it would just become muscle memory after a while and you wouldn't even think about it.

It does seem like it would be a very easy preference to make though and not complicate things too much... but preferences don't really exist in v10 yet. Maybe one day...

• Like 2

@PinkElephant I think the issue is that the feature used to work as starting in Title not in the body.  You dont take a feature that was working and change it to something else and also not give setting for user to change it.

Guess what I have already moved away from Evernote but this message popped up in my mailbox.  I wanted to comment to say that I left evernote exactly for this feature being taken away and not having option to change.

A product that doesn't listen to customers will eventually lose them.

• Level 5

There is exactly a 50:50 choice one can make when having 2 options, like in this case. It never was a „feature“ (LOL) whether to start with text or title. Some like it this way, some the other - probably most are neutral about it. Personally I couldn’t even say for sure - in some situations it is nice to hack away directly, in others the orderly „title first“ feels better. One tap/click and I am where I want to be.

Personally I don’t care if you left EN „because of this“. There probably has been quite some movement with users in and out over the last years, and believe it or not, everybody had its own reasons. If a reason is good for the person taking a decision, who would argue about it. You are free to put your money where you want.

• Like 1

Just came here for the same reason as others (except PinkElephant) to see how to get this option back.  So now for every note I write (and I'm up to ~7000 at this point after 9 years) I have to click up in the title before I start typing.  Usually, though, I start typing and expect it's in the title out of habit...so then I need to cut, paste into the title.  I am quite amused that PinkElephant spent so much time in this post (that they shouldn't have even been in based on the convo?) and just belittled people who want an old option back that many of us relied heavily on to use the product.  Must be a developer?  Anyway...for me alone...this wastes 1 hour/year and at least 1000 mouse clicks/year.  Imagine that multiplied by thousands in our shoes...  Imagine Google changing their site to no longer allow you to start typing your search string without first clicking in the search bar.  Would PinkElephant be OK with that?

• Like 1

@PinkElephant -  I am not sure what your association with Evernote is.  I assume that you are not an employee of Evernote and say that you dont care about a customer leaving.   Clearly, you dont seem to know the product well.  This was the default option for multiple versions of Evernote until some genious product manager decided to change this.

if you are changing to body of text atleast do an attempt to fill the title with first line of body. if someone forgets, it will have untitled  as the title.  Very brilliant design.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN employees carry a „Staff“ badge in their forum user. You can tell yourself who is what.

So I am a user, as others, I pay my subscription, as others, I tell my opinion (without any deeper insight into what EN does) maybe a bit more vocal than others. And no, I don’t care if somebody is leaving or onboarding. I will assist anybody who leaves to take his data with him, and anybody who arrives to get his use cases employed.

If for 15 years the guys who prefer to start with the title had their home run, they may accept that now the guys who want to start right away with note taking get their 15 years. 

Fair enough ?

Just a small tip maybe for some that are losing hours of time clicking in the 'Title' field. I'd suggest that you Shift-Tab to get to the title from the subject instead of using the mouse. Also don't click on the 'New' note button. Moving the mouse and clicking is slow compared to keyboard shortcuts. There! I just got you two hours of your life back each year! You're welcome!

Sorry - I'm mostly joking people, but I couldn't resist... I'm all for more preferences -- especially those like this that seem pretty innocuous compared to more complex work flows. And also, to me personally, it does seem weird to not set the default focus to the Title but I also must admit that it hasn't bugged me one bit.

• Level 5

There are probably many single points of feedback to make something like this happen.

Anybody can send feedback through the apps, and subscribers can send support tickets with feature requests as well.

From observation (but may it is different, who knows) I doubt that feature requests in the forum have much impact.