No more search button within a Notebook

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I use to be able to click on a search button within a specific Notebook -- which helps greatly if you have more than a dozen notes. This super useful function is no longer available with the update, or I am failing to find it/add it.

Please add this function back! Yes, your new EN update looks clean and easy, but when a regular user actually dives into the functions, we're all finding that most of the useful tools are no longer present, making the navigation process waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. 

Has anyone figured out how to search within one notebook, instead of having the use the only search bar that searches all notes?

• Like 2
  • Solution
9 hours ago, performanceext said:

Has anyone figured out how to search within one notebook, instead of having the use the only search bar that searches all notes?

The simplest way of doing it is:

• Start in the notebook you want to search
  • Click in the search bar (or alt-ctrl-F provided your focus is on a note in the note list)
  • Immediately below the bar you will see the name of the notebook in very faint grey and "add filter"

image.png.067fb3c270fa19695b68f3e78d03f261.png

• Click add filter and then you are good to go. Other filters which are relevant to the notebook appear and you can add text into the search bar. After you have done the search you can refine it further with the filter menu if yoou choose

image.png.16172268a67981debd510f5d57073c77.png

The one thing to remember is that you cannot add what EN considers to be a filter after you have added the search text using the search bar. You can only add them using the filter menu from the filter icon. This doesn't help for notebooks because that is the one filter that doesn't appear in the filter menu.

• Like 1

I search for stuff in specific notebooks all day long, and this change freaked me out. Seems there should be a better way to let people know how to search in a specific notebook. The new method works OK, but it's totally not intuitive that it now works this way. I had to come here to the forum to find the answer. So yay for the forum support, but I don't think I should have had to do that, for such an important function of Evernote. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, JEFFREY @ HAEGER said:

what about notebook stacks?  Anyone able to do bucket search in a stack?

I don't think it can be done. There is no filter for stacks or an ability to easily select the individual notebooks that make up the stack. You could use the search syntax to select all the different notebooks but that would be time consuming to say the least and would probably only be worth it as a one off activity to create a saved search. Happy to be proved wrong if anybody else knows of a way.

14 hours ago, Mike P said:

Happy to be proved wrong if anybody else knows of a way.

@JEFFREY @ HAEGER I've managed to prove myself wrong! In the documentation of the Evernote advanced search syntax there is no mention of being able to search within a stack. Then @s2sailor mentioned in another thread the ability to save a search of a stack in the legacy client. Well the legacy client saves searches in the search syntax format so a quick try shows that:

stack:"my stack name"

does the trick in the new client as well. I assume that if you haven't got spaces in your stack name you don't need the quotation marks.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Like many Evernote 10 "improvements", making the ability to search within a notebook so hidden and difficult to find just totally sucks. Searching "search within notebook" in the main Evernote help provides nothing helpful in this regard. Had to do a Google search to find THIS note. Why can't search be a selectable option WITHIN the notebook? 

I still mainly use Evernote Classic on my main systems, to keep the save Save email to Evernote from Outlook capability. But I have current Evernote on my laptop, just to give it a try, and stuff like this gives me no incentive to use the current version. 

• Level 5

With a new client comes the need to learn a few new ways to do things

To search inside of a notebook, it is simple and straightforward: When you already have selected a notebook and then click on the search button, the notebook is already preselected in the search mask. Just click it once to confirm the restriction, enter the search string, and it searches only in this notebook.

If you come from „all notes“ view, the simplest way is to click on the filter tool, and select the notebook.

Both is intuitive and simple. A more sophisticated method is by the search language - it allows to search in several notebooks at once. Not different from legacy, the search syntax has not changed.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 8:39 AM, PinkElephant said:

When you already have selected a notebook and then click on the search button, the notebook is already preselected in the search mask. Just click it once to confirm the restriction, enter the search string, and it searches only in this notebook.

Why does it need to click the add filter button again ?  I have selected the notebook. 

Searching in a notebook or a notebook stack is more intuitive in the legacy version which is just select a notebook or a stack and then search. No additional click to add filter in between the select and search.

• 2 years later...

After 2 years, the search within a notebook is still clunky: Yes, you can go to the notebook, search (mind you--in the legacy version, the notes matching your search term would automatically refresh as you typed), click enter (to actually perform the search; which you didn't need to do in the legacy version), and if you want to go back to the notebook you started from, click the "x" to cancel the search... and boom! You are no longer in the notebook you started. You are now looking at ALL your notes. Now you have to remember... "What notebook was I looking at?" Select it, and start the search all over again. The search behavior in Evernote 10 still sucks.

Does anybody know how to close a search and go back to the notebook you were looking at previously?

who's bright idea was this? !!!!!

you should quit UX design and go make shoes... because you absolutely suck at it!!!

Removing such an essential feature and making it more complicated and unintuitive is beyond mind bending!!!

If it ain't broke, DON "T FIX IT!!!!!
If I was not forced to install the new version because the legacy will not sync soon.... I wouldn't have been so frustrated with your software...

Mark my words, I'm switching to Notion soon and will stop being and advocate for Evernote.

The only thing that held me back was a lack of time to do the transfer.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:26 PM, Luispabreu said:

Does anybody know how to close a search and go back to the notebook you were looking at previously?

I can certainly see the logic of wanting to go back to the original notebook rather than all notes, although many users would probably want to go back to all notes. A workaround is to open search and replace the search phrase with * and then hit enter. When you open search, the insertion point is at the end of the search phrase so you can do {shift}+{Home} and then type *. A * by itself is obviously just searching for everything, so you get everything in the already selected notebook.