App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

On 9/14/2024 at 11:22 AM, Carl-L-ND said:

re: Slowness

For about the past 3-4 weeks my EN Windows app does this thing where after a search for a note, and several notes are found and listed, it will not display the top note in the search.  This is where I I am using the Side List view.   It does not do this on every search but often enough (50% ?) that it triggered me into figuring out a work around.  I get that green spinning circle in the right side note window.  To stop it I click on a lower note in the list, which then loads immediately, and then go back and click on the top note if I want to view that one.

Testing this with the Top List view it does not seem to completely stall out but I am able to have several moments of the green circle but never a continuous circle where clicking on a lower note is required to force a note load. 

However, when in Top List view, if I then go back and click on the Notes button(?) in the left most column menu, it then expands the entire note I was viewing, still showing the left most menu column but hiding and not permitting me to return to the search results, and preventing a reload of all notes when clicking on the left column All Notes button.  At this point I just click on the Home button and then again on the Notes button in order to start a new search.

In the Android app, I have noticed pause at times which I find odd as this happens in notebooks that I have tagged for offline viewing.

I cannot say when this started because it seems like there isnow  an update every day in both the Windows and Android apps which is awesome compared to what we saw a couple of years ago.

re: another thing I've noticed

I also think that the boolean "and" operator in search no longer functions as it did a few weeks ago per a post I made on Search functionality.  Looking into this.

I'm seeing this behaviour across a number of notebooks but for the most part it is when I'm searching on a notebook that currently has about 600 notes, each being roughly 100KB in size according to the Note Info.  Most of that 100KB is from a 98 or 99 KB (typical) PDF I drag and drop into a new note.  I have about 8000 notes in total.

And.... this is more or less the profile of my EN prior to this starting to happen a few weeks ago. 

I'm running the latest version on both my Macbook and my desktop PC. I have only had lag issues with the Windows client. And this was finally fixed when I used the Microsoft Store version.

It seems like it is the same version, but when you install from the Microsoft Store it seems to install the app directly into Windows into a hidden folder. I'm not able to access the .exe file directly anymore. The icon is also a different color now (it's a white background instead of green).

So for some reason, even though the Microsoft Store version is the "same" numerical version, I think it still runs differently and it is significantly faster and more stable. I highly suggest uninstalling and reinstalling from the Windows Store if you are having issues. My Evernote was significantly slower the past few updates (eg the past ~2 months) and reinstalling from Windows Store has fixed everything. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The Store versions run in a sandbox mode - this means they are behind a barrier erected by the OS. It seems that somehow the direct interaction of the app and Windows creates the strain, and the lagging.

Personally I don’t run Windows. My installations on different Macs all perform nicely.