Notes Not Displaying in Windows 10 Desktop App

Go to solution Solved by RavBoy,

The primary problem is that when I click on a notebook, including All Notes, in my Windows 10 Desktop app, the notes don't display and I can't view or edit them. I can see all the notebooks, but not the notes within them. The notes sync, and I am able to use the web and android apps but not the desktop app. I have tried:

• turning the laptop off and on again 😀,
  • logging out of Evernote and logging in again;
  • switching from New to Classic viewer and back again, and
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the app. 

The secondary problem is that I tried unsuccessfully to get a ticket at the help desk after creating the activity log and screen shot so I've attached them here. I'm very grateful for any help.

Evernote Screenshot.JPG

Evernote_6.25.1.9091_20200827.log

• Solution

When in EN-Windows, try hitting the 'F11' key on your keyboard, or via clicking Menu >View >Note List, so that your 'Note List' is displayed.  Also, and just as an aesthetic thing, so as to give you more screen space to view the note editor/note content...I would resize your 'Left Panel'... simply grab the right vertical edge of the panel with cursor and drag.  You've already tried the File > Exit and restart option, so that's unlikely to help.  Also, have you tried creating a new note 'CTRL+N' to see if you're actually able to do so?  Finally, after you view your 'Note List' (F11)... also try F10 to toggle the 'Left Panel' on off (whilst Note List is still displayed)...quirky things can works sometimes

As for your secondary problem...I think this is due to you having a Basic/Free subscription, in which case I believe EN does not provide basic users support.

• Thanks 1

I only just saw your response, @RavBoy and F11 worked! Thanks so much.  And I've resized my left panel which I didn't know how to do. And thanks for the F10 to get rid of the Left Panel. . I've got my desktop app back. Very grateful. Is there somewhere I should look for these types of tips? 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, QueenTimely said:

I've got my desktop app back. Very grateful.

You're very welcome.  When I was starting with EN, many of the gurus on this forum, similarly shared many golden nuggets, and still do, so pass it on I say.

13 hours ago, QueenTimely said:

Is there somewhere I should look for these types of tips?

Keyboard shortcuts are very useful and time saving, as shared by PinkElephant above.  Beyond this I think the way to get the most out of EN for your particular use-case is to continue to participate in this forum, and when you can, upgrade to Premium subscription to allow yourself more features e.g. Templates , plus large upload limits.  Even when I use any MS Office application to create documents, all of these are moved and centrally saved to EN.  For managing and organising my information/online research, EN is my main-central app around which everything else revolves.  As time goes on, you will discover that EN wont achieve everything on your wish-list, in which case and once again these forums have loads of tips and workarounds to help.  Finally for more tips, I'd suggest just googling 'Best ways, methods, tips etc to use/organise Evernote, or some such. Also check out EN Online User Guides: Quick Start Guide & Full User Guide... good luck

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue - in the windows app I can find and click on any note and the preview of the note shows up in the note list, but when I click on the note the contents won't appear (it's just a blank screen). Closing and reopening the app doesn't solve the issue; the only fix I've found is restarting my computer. My app is up to date, although I first noticed this issue when the new version of the app was released. I would guess it occurs every ~2-3 days. Any suggestions?

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having this exact same problem. I even uninstalled and re-installed the desktop app. It briefly worked again but the problem has returned. I also regularly get a pop-up window that is blank. Extremely frustrating.

• Like 1

Yep...same problem for me. I too am a fully paid user. Note lists appear fine, but the view window (for editing) just goes blank every few days on both my laptop and PC...but never my iPhone. The only solution I have found successful is to uninstall and reinstall the App. Very, very frustrating. There are no shortcuts (F11) that work on note lists in the latest version that I can find. F11 simply toggles full screen. About to bin this app after years of use and change to something more stable and usable.

The issue is still occurring for me; F11 does not solve the problem. Copying a screenshot below that shows both the blank note window in the main app (although it does show a preview in the note list), plus if I double click on the note the window that pops up is blank.

image.png.2807d8b1c587b2291cf18ecc6367f18f.png

Hello all,

really can not understand this issue, I have the same.

What it is really unbelievable that was posted in August 2020 for the first time (have not checked if there is other related topic before).

5 months later Evernote was unable to release a fix for a bug that prevent to use the core utility of its application... came on Evernote !!!!! why in this all world I would like to continue paying you for this trash.

Fix it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Today's date is 01/24/2021.  Ended up here for this exact same problem.  This has actually been a problem for my Windows pc Evernote for a couple of months now.  So I followed belgiumcookieman's advice and logged out then logged back in.  Well lo & behold, the app updated and I suddenly had a fully functional & customizable home screen!  So I don't know if this malfunction is simply due to the app not properly updating or what.  But it's finally working properly. Let's hope it's fixed!

I have Evernote on a laptop, desktop, and Android phone.  The desktop and Android are fine, but the laptop has started displaying a version of this symptom of blank notes, not blank on other devices or in preview.  One of the suggestions I saw elsewhere on the forum was to do a sync, but if you see the images below, there is no sync button on the laptop.  I have also noticed that the About, Check for Update, and Release Notes windows are also blank on the laptop.  I think everything was normal Friday night, but then like this Saturday morning.  The difference in screen layout is puzzling.

Laptop.png

Desktop.png

• 4 weeks later...

F11  DOES NOT WORK to FIX THIS F'NG Problem.  So frustrating.  I'm telling everyone not to use this app.  It only works on your phone.  It constantly crashes on the desktop.  It will NOT show your notes and this is NOT a new problem.   

• 1 year later...

Experiencing the same issues with notes not appearing while using the Windows app for a couple of weeks now.

After reading this thread, it is very disappointing to see that this show-stopper failure has been reported way back in Aug 2020; but is still no resolved in July 2022. The suggestion of hitting the F-11 key is ineffective in bringing back the missing notes.

Evernote, while trying to be feature-rich adding bells and whistles, has impaired the app's resilience and stability.  This is the final straw; I am not a fan of Evernote anymore. Abandoning this sinking ship.

• Level 5

There have been NO posts at all in this thread for a year - none.

But you claim it must be a pressing issue, all hands need to work to resolve it ?!

Can you explain your -sorry - pretty lonely position here ?

We might even have an idea how to resolve the issue - which may explain why nobody felt an urge to post anything here. A better forum check would probably reveal the solution to you without a need to come back here.

Otherwise I would like to get a better description of what you experience - just yelling „I have it as well“ is not really a sound description.

• Level 5
On 7/23/2022 at 3:45 AM, orionquests said:

Experiencing the same issues with notes not appearing while using the Windows app for a couple of weeks now.

After reading this thread, it is very disappointing to see that this show-stopper failure has been reported way back in Aug 2020; but is still no resolved in July 2022. The suggestion of hitting the F-11 key is ineffective in bringing back the missing notes.

Evernote, while trying to be feature-rich adding bells and whistles, has impaired the app's resilience and stability.  This is the final straw; I am not a fan of Evernote anymore. Abandoning this sinking ship.

There was quite a flurry of reports of this in December 2020 - January 2021. The original F11 solution was quickly outdated, as the ability to hide and display the Note Window was removed. One solution that did work was to log out and log back in; someone else reported that an update fixed the problem. The lack of any further reports in this thread in the last 18 months suggests that whatever went wrong got fixed. If it had been happening constantly to lots of users since then, it would be widely discussed here, but it's not.

So the problem you're experiencing may have a more localized solution. Have you tried logging out and back in? What exactly is happening--sidebar and notes list appear, but when a note is selected it doesn't show in the editing window, correct? Does it happen with all notes all the time, or with certain notes consistently, or with random notes on random occasions? What happens if you double-click a note to open it in a separate window?

Your fellow users here love to sort these things out, but we need more data to work with.

• 10 months later...

I'm having precisely the same issue.

Web access seems to be fine, but the app is not functioning. I'm running 10.58.3. I have logged off and restarted, uninstalled/reinstalled and attempted other solutions provided in this thread. Still, no joy. I'm running Windows 10. The sidebar is greyed out and when I open a note by double-clicking, it pops up blank. On a random sample, this is happening with all notes accessed through the app. The installed version appears to be current; I don't see an update button on the app. The app has not updated all notes either.

Right now, I'm dependent on the web access for the large amount of discographical information I've stored on EN. If that goes down, I've lost years of research.

I'd appreciate some guidance.. 

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. To be clear, we're mainly just other users here, so we offer the help we're able to, but cannot do deep level tech support. Be aware also that this thread was started almost 3 years ago, died out for a year and a half, was briefly revived a year ago, and faded out again. So "precisely the same issue" may or may not be correct -- Evernote 10 has evolved massively since this thread began, and issues that appear similar may have different underlying causes.

Still, having a go based on your information: When you say the sidebar is grayed out, you mean that none of the items there is functioning (Notes, Shortcuts, Notebooks, etc.)? What view are you in when double-clicking a note pops it up blank---all notes, a search result, a particular notebook or tag...? When you say the app hasn't updated all notes, that means that there are updates made to notes in the Web client that don't appear in the desktop app?

V. 10.58.3 is AFAIK the latest version of the app. It was released in order to deal with a variety of issues that appeared after the change to the sync structure of notes, one of which was long delays in note contents appearing after being clicked. So, just to be sure, if you click on one of the affected notes, it never appears, even if you wait for several minutes (it should never take that long, just trying to cover all bases)?

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the Web app going down, and the fact that you can work with notes there shows that your data are safe on Evernote's servers.

One further question: when you uninstalled and reinstalled, did you just use the standard Windows uninstall procedure? Others report here that that is unreliable, and may leave bits behind that foul up a new installation. If you haven't yet, try running Revo Uninstaller--I haven't had to use it, but others here say it will well and truly uninstall Evernote and all its traces, letting you do a truly clean reinstall.

Hope this is some help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Plus most of what was posted in this thread clearly refers to the old, since deprecated legacy client.

Nobody can have „exactly the same issue“ who says in the same sentence that he is on v10.58.3. There is not even a single line of code shared between the 2 versions, legacy and current. So the „issue“ can’t be the same, never ever.

So I would say instead of hijacking a thread that refers to an old software and not really describing the problem, it would be better to start a new thread and begin with a full description of what’s wrong.