Duplicate note: How to update thumnail?

Hi,

I was duplicating a note not to start from scratch. The original note contains a picture which appears in the thumbnail (which I want to easily find a note). If I remove that picture and replace it with another one in the duplicate, the thumbnail doesn't seem to update/refresh and will keep the old picture.

Is there a way to refresh a thumbnail?

The only work around I found was to open a new note and copy-paste everything but the picture. A bit more work.

Best,

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not a Mac user, but I believe you can reindex the database by using OptionKey Help>Troubleshooting;  and force a resync of your data using the **Shift** and **Option** keys on your keyboard and click the sync wheel (next to your username).

Be aware that both operations could tie up your system for some time,  depending on the number of notes you have.  I'd actually suggest giving the thumbnails a few days to sort themselves out - tag the affected note(s) and come back to them in a week maybe - before intervening too much.  I believe there's a thumbnail index somewhere that might take a while to update when notes change...

You could also reach out to Support as you're a subscriber.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

the thumbnail doesn't seem to update/refresh and will keep the old picture

My default view is top list.  No thumbnail

I switched to snippet view and was unable to duplicate your results
The thumbnail was rebuilt almost immediately
Is there something I'm missing in my testing?

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, SophieF said:

Hi, I am also having this problem with duplicated notes. Some have been like this for a few weeks. I am on Windows 10.

Hi.  More details about exactly what you're doing and in what OS and Evernote version please - this thread is a year old and there have been changes recently...

I appear to have found the bug in my Windows 10 app. This has only started happening recently for me....

I deleted a picture from a note and replaced it with a new one. The new picture is shown on the note but the thumbnail in the note list reverts to the old picture.

I duplicated the note and all was well, it is just the original note that has the problem. There is no problem in the note list on my Android tablet. Screen shots attached

This is a pain as I use the thumbnails to visually search for the note I am looking for

10.8.4-win-ddl-public (2349)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.1

Android Evernote.jpg

Windows Evernote.jpg

Edited by BikerDon
Minor change to text
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, BikerDon said:

I appear to have found the bug in my Windows 10 app.

Er,  not sure - you found a way around any delays in updating the thumbnail views,  but there might well be server slowdowns since the app is now heavily server-based.  Glad you fixed it,  anyway.

30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Er,  not sure - you found a way around any delays in updating the thumbnail views,  but there might well be server slowdowns since the app is now heavily server-based.  Glad you fixed it,  anyway.

Sorry? I didn't say it was fixed because it isn't. I changed the picture in that note a few hours ago and the thumbnail hasn't updated yet. The Android app never had the problem, still doesn't. I did the same in another Windows app note weeks ago and the thumbnail still hasn't updated, it's ok in the Android app.

One of those screenshots is the Windows app, the other is the Android app - they are not the same, still aren't.

This isn‘t only a special issue with the windows v10 app. Similar issues happened to me with the web version of v10. The thumbnail picture there seem not to be changeable after first applying, even if deleted. This is in my case only a phenomenon if watched in the web version. If I use other (legacy) apps I will see another picture im the thumbnail view (or no picture if all pictures in the note are deleted)

So this looks like a real v10 issue which leads to the famous, long ongoing and unsolved request for better or free choosing of images for thumbnail view... (look like this request is handled by trello...)

I'm jumping in here with a similar problem. 

I just need to change the thumbnail picture. With CoVID zoom and screen sharing my colleagues can see my thumbnail pictures and I don't really want my kids homework and grocery lists/food pictures dominating my evernote. 

So, how do I change a thumbnail picture?!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, A different Erik said:

I don't see how to fixt that,

Hi.  There is not,  and never has been,  a way to choose (or 'fix') thumbnails.  AFAIK the thumbnails file will update in due time,  but it's not immediate.  There is (as noted above) a long outstanding request to choose the image shown.  There are work-arounds.

• Level 5

@A different Erik The thumbnail is a permanently sore issue, because it is exclusively ENs guess, and sometimes they guess it wrong.

To get rid of a sticky thumbnail when the original was removed you can add a new „image“ to the note. If you make a screen copy of a white area and save it as an image, you have a neutral image file.

Then add it to the note: EN should notice the update and remove the existing but wrong thumbnail after a while, replacing it by your plain white.

Since it is just white, you won’t notice - unless the client switches into dark mode. But who says workarounds are perfect …

To get rid of a thumbnail at all, open a new note and copy the content (minus the image) to the new note. Delete the old one.