Background colors??

imscottb

Idea

Hey Evernote, 

I just think it would be sooo GREAT to allow for COLORS in the background of my notes, sometimes. 

I think it is GREAT that my font can have a different color, but what about and why not allowing for a background color of the whole note?

Thanks, so much. 

Keep up the GREAT work. 

• Like 2

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, imscottb said:

I just think it would be sooo GREAT to allow for COLORS in the background of my notes, sometimes. 

I use the the table feature to add background colour to my notes.
It could be a single column/row 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, imscottb said:

but what about when you just have a note with no tables in it?

Even if I don't need it, I add a table just to get the colour background; it can be one row, one cell

I actually like using multiple columns.  It's better  use of the note space

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, imscottb said:

GREAT idea DTLow and Sayre, but what about when you just have a note with no tables in it?

That is what I am talking about.

I think they are saying a 1x1 table is a workaround.  Not perfect for sure, but gets some background color.

ScreenClip.png.1cb7048d1d76adde696365f178b3c9d1.png

I usually edit the content by using Evernote application on Mac. When I need to set foreground/background colours, I switch to Google Chrome, and use the "Add-ons for Evernote Web App" extension. It is the perfect solution.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/add-ons-for-evernote-web/bnflfnhcfikgmmcmoghhejelmefpjhek?hl=en-US

724307748_ScreenShot2018-11-10at12_02_38PM.png.8d8dcbdab1e346d71d54838682397d2b.png

This is what you see in Chrome

293595721_ScreenShot2018-11-10at12_04_02PM.png.2e1835374a42ec74f5addb11a9ee528d.png

On 11/10/2018 at 12:06 PM, jamesd535 said:

I usually edit the content by using Evernote application on Mac. When I need to set foreground/background colours, I switch to Google Chrome, and use the "Add-ons for Evernote Web App" extension. It is the perfect solution.

Looks interesting, but I would be concerned about privacy issues.

james535 I do not have a Mac, so I can't seem to do your suggestion, and I agree with possible privacy issues, so I just wish Evernote would allow for the colors in the background. 

Thanks, for the ideas and tips. 

This is why I'm constantly torn between EverNote and Onenote - OneNote gives me the ability to color pages, add rule lines AND even background images.

The fact you can then take that styled page and set it as a new page template for for the whole section is the absolute ICING on the whole experience.

-Will

I've created quite a few notes in recent months using a single-cell table with a color background, but the main problem with that technique is that the right margin of your text does not expand or contract when you change the size of the Evernote screen. This causes much frustration for me. (I live in the Windows world, incidentally.)

More recently I've been experimenting with some "Coloured Background Note Templates" created by a woman in Australia:

https://www.storiesofanunschoolingfamily.com/an-evernote-workshop-7-50-coloured-background-note-templates-to-download/

and

https://www.storiesofanunschoolingfamily.com/another-24-evernote-coloured-background-note-templates/

They behave smoothly enough: the text right-margin problem has been solved, and some of the colors are quite attractive. But there are a few minor glitches. For example, if you you apply highlighting (shift-control-h) to some of the text but then remove it, the background color starts to break up. (This is also true of colored cells in tables, incidentally.) I also found myself wondering if these templates will continue to work in the next version of EN; for whatever it's worth, I can report that they are still functional in the new Web interface.

Has anyone else used such templates? Are there other hazards that I should be aware of?

Dear WSP, Thank you for your links to the woman in Australia. I just L♥VE her templates and have downloaded all of them. 

I am sure they will be quite useful and wonderful for what I have wanted to do. 

I sure do appreciate you sharing these finds. I am so sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but with all going on I have not been at the computer too long at one time to sit and explore the sites you shared. 

Again, thanks. Scott

• Level 5*
On 4/14/2020 at 5:31 AM, wsp said:

Has anyone else used such templates? Are there other hazards that I should be aware of?

I use the same technique of modifying the underlying enml/html code
It works, but the style is applied to each line instead of at the note level1551797016_ScreenShot2020-05-12at2_34_45PM.png.d158cd78ded04e25c28a637da5f02680.png

Fortunately,  the style is replicated as new lines are appended

Thanks, DTLow. I sensed that something like that was happening.

But the real question in my mind is still whether these very attractive colors will survive the transition to the next version of Evernote.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Koandco said:

Can we please be able to colour our notes ... we can at a glance locate all our "yellow" ones

Is this a request for note background colour?  Which panel are you glancing in?   

I would very much like such a feature as well. To be able to color the whole note background and see the colors in the list so that I have an easy way to distinguish my notes with a single look. It would especially benefit the mobile app. Colored tables don't quite cut it, guys, that's not a workaround, that's learning to work with the tool in a different way. Nice if that suits you, but it doesn't suit everyone.

It's kinda sad that this idea got shot down before it actually had the chance to make it to the staff. I hope they still consider it.

The ideas by WSP in April have been useful to me. I have upgraded to Evernote 10 and I did the survey before AND after for what I want and am looking for. Of key to me is background colors, the reintroduction to using my own fonts, again, as now Evernote only allows for just a few text styles/fonts. I also would very much like true tables to be used. The Evernote tables are HORRIBLE. What happened to grammar and spell check?!?!?!?  There are a few other things, but I am very disappointed as a PREMIUM user to have such a product to pay for over the years get worse and worse. Truly I am not going to renew if this continues!! 

Thank you Barbora for the kind words.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:03 PM, imscottb said:

Hey Evernote, 

I think it is GREAT that my font can have a different color, but what about and why not allowing for a background color of the whole note?

Thanks, so much. 

Keep up the GREAT work. 

Google Keep use background color. Dark Background using white font. Lighter background using black font. Microsoft OneNote also give option for using very soft color palette for background color. Evernote please reconsider background color.

It is very useful for creating different task/reminder/note in same folder. Highlighting a sentence are for different purpose. You can ONLY see the highlight sentence after you open the note. Now in 2021 its more relevant to use background color. Thanks so much.

FYI: thats why Post-It note sell in different color so your family can see different notes on your fridge :)