Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

REQUEST: Multiple "from" email addresses

email

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 trench

trench

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

I've been a premium user for several years and use Evernote for both personal and work notes. I keep comming up against the limitation that I cannot select my 'from' email address account as Evernote only stores one email address per user account.

I would love to see Evernote support a primary email address along with one or several secondary email address for an account. The when emailing a note, the user would have the option of selecting which 'from' account to use if more than one is present.

Maybe this could be a premium only or an additional cost premium plus feature. I know I would pay more for it.

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I've been a premium user for several years and use Evernote for both personal and work notes. I keep comming up against the limitation that I cannot select my 'from' email address account as Evernote only stores one email address per user account.

I would love to see Evernote support a primary email address along with one or several secondary email address for an account. The when emailing a note, the user would have the option of selecting which 'from' account to use if more than one is present.

Maybe this could be a premium only or an additional cost premium plus feature. I know I would pay more for it.

Hi. I guess I have never seen this as an issue. Could you explain why this has been a limitation for you?

#3 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

You could try maintaining two accounts, one for work, and one for personal use.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#4 trench

trench

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

When I email a work client, I need them to see it comming from work email address. My clients do not need to know or see my personal email address. Conversely, when I email notes to personal contacts, say members of my club, they need to see this comming from my personal email address to know this has nothing to do with my business. Members of my clubs may also be clients and its important to maintain a seperation.

Its not really practical to seperate my Evernote database into two accounts, I can just imagine the havoc that will casue me wondering which account a particular note is in. How would My iPad/iPhone clients handle two accounts both with offline notes? No I cant see that working.

#5 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

When I email a work client, I need them to see it comming from work email address. My clients do not need to know or see my personal email address. Conversely, when I email notes to personal contacts, say members of my club, they need to see this comming from my personal email address to know this has nothing to do with my business. Members of my clubs may also be clients and its important to maintain a seperation.

Its not really practical to seperate my Evernote database into two accounts, I can just imagine the havoc that will casue me wondering which account a particular note is in. How would My iPad/iPhone clients handle two accounts both with offline notes? No I cant see that working.

For work - send info to your work, remove the Evernote info then forward to your client using your work email.
added bonus - a copy of the email with transmission date/time is stored on your work computer.

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

So, if I understand you correctly, you have a work email, a personal email, and an Evernote one (receipt of email only). I assume the only time you need to use Evernote in conjunction with email is when you share a note or notebook, right? At this time, Evernote is using your default email client, so messages are being sent from the "wrong" account. This does indeed sound like a problem.

I am not a big fan of using multiple accounts, except for rather limited situations. The appeal of Evernote (to me) is the fact that I can keep everything in one place. More importantly, if I am understanding the problem correctly, creating a new account would not solve the problem, because it would be using the default client as well. If Evernote could change how it interacts with your email client, I would think that would solve the problem. Perhaps creating a support ticket will help to get this problem reported to the appropriate people.

As a workaround, I guess that you could: (1) copy/paste the content of the note, (2) send a link to your shared note, or do both.

#7 jefito

jefito

• 10,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

When I send a note by email, it uses the email configured in the account that I am using as the sender. Whether it's easy or not to use a different account depends on the client (this was not specified by the OP, and it's in the General Evernote discussion area). As it happens, it's not too hard to use different accounts using the Windows and the web clients, and it's certainly a valid (and occasionally requested) approach to segregate work and personal material. As it is, this approach works today, in some situations, which is why I suggested it, as opposed to waiting for a feature that may be implemented in some fuzzy time in the future, if at all.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#8 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

When I send a note by email, it uses the email configured in the account that I am using as the sender. Whether it's easy or not to use a different account depends on the client (this was not specified by the OP, and it's in the General Evernote discussion area). As it happens, it's not too hard to use different accounts using the Windows and the web clients, and it's certainly a valid (and occasionally requested) approach to segregate work and personal material. As it is, this approach works today, in some situations, which is why I suggested it, as opposed to waiting for a feature that may be implemented in some fuzzy time in the future, if at all.

On the web client, it seems to automatically use my default client, but maybe that is because I am also using the web interface for my email, and haven't got multiple ones set up in my computer. That seems a bit too smart for an interface, though. By the "email configured in the account" do you mean to say that you can select which email address you want to use, or do you mean the email address associated with that account? I would guess the latter. That might also explain why I don't see any choices, and why the web and Mac clients are using the same account. If I tried out an email on my other account I might see it trying to use my other email address. If that is the case, then your suggestion to create another account makes more sense to me. At any rate, it would be nice if we could select our email client when we share notes or notebooks.

#9 jefito

jefito

• 10,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

The email that you use to set up your account seems to be the one that's used as the sender for email from that account, yes. You cannot set up a different account under an email that's already being used, so far as I know (though you can trick it).
~Jeff

#10 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

The email that you use to set up your account seems to be the one that's used as the sender for email from that account, yes. You cannot set up a different account under an email that's already being used, so far as I know (though you can trick it).

:)
I am not sure what you mean by tricking it, but supposing you ran it through one or the other account by setting up rules for forwarding, it would still end up with the Evernote and personal/professional email information in the header. At least it would appear in people's email inboxes coming from the appropriate address, though. Way too much trouble for me! I think I would just be using copy/paste until this feature gets added.

#11 jefito

jefito

• 10,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

One trick is with gmail accounts, e.g., grumpy.monkey@gmail.com is the same email account as grumpymonkey@gmail.com (or as grump.y.monkey@gmail.com, etc.), but for purposes of signing up for Evernote accounts, they are different (or were when I signed up for my other account).
~Jeff

#12 trench

trench

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

When you send a note via email, it does not use any client email configured on the device you sending from. My understanding is that the email is always sent from the Evernote mail servers, but Evernote spoofs the from address to make it appear that the email is comming from your email account. All my enhancement request does is allow the Evernote email servers to spoof from different verified email address that the user has configured in their account details.

It is not practical to email the note to myself at work and then send on from the client. First its a gigantic time waster to do all those extra steps and secondly, if I'm on the road I may not have access to all my prefered send from email account.

This change would have little impact on all the Evernote front ends other than allowing you to select which email address in the header you would like to use. Most of the change would be in the backup servers.

#13 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

It is not practical to email the note to myself at work and then send on from the client. First its a gigantic time waster to do all those extra steps and secondly, if I'm on the road I may not have access to all my prefered send from email account.

Gigantic time waster? Come on, let's get real.
A simple email edit is not a gigantic time waster.

If you are on the road, send it to you work email.
Edit it when you get to your hotel room via VPN.

If it is more critical and vital to be sent immediately, then send it directly from Evernote.
I doubt that mission critical information would be refused if sent from an Evernote account.

#14 trench

trench

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

If it is more critical and vital to be sent immediately, then send it directly from Evernote.
I doubt that mission critical information would be refused if sent from an Evernote account.

That is exactly what I would like to do. Email a note directly from Evernote and have it show up in my clients inbox as if it was sent my my work email address. No, it would not be refused but I also do not want my client to have my personal email address.

Maybe my use case is unique but I do think it would enhance the product overall.

#15 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

Does it spoof the email? It's in the sent box of my gmail account, so doesn't that mean it got routed through gmail?

#16 trench

trench

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

I've done a bit of testing and for all of my pop accounts, it does not orginate from my email client but the evernote email servers. I'm quite sure they are spoofing my email 'from' address. The email servers and return path is evernote.com but the from address if my email address. Maybe this works differently for a gmail account, cant see how it would though.

If all sent email is being spoofed, then to add a choice of which email address to spoof from should be very doable.

#17 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

I've done a bit of testing and for all of my pop accounts, it does not orginate from my email client but the evernote email servers. I'm quite sure they are spoofing my email 'from' address. The email servers and return path is evernote.com but the from address if my email address. Maybe this works differently for a gmail account, cant see how it would though.

If all sent email is being spoofed, then to add a choice of which email address to spoof from should be very doable.

I don't have a firm grasp of what "spoofing" an email entails, but at least with gmail what happens is that Evernote sends an email to the account and that is then sent from the gmail account, so the end user only sees my gmail address. If they look into the header they will find Evernote's address, but otherwise, it is routed through my email service. It doesn't come directly from Evernote. My understanding of spoofing (I might be wrong) is that someone who spoofs my email address will not have that email routed through my account. It comes from one place and ends up in another with a fake header, right?

Anyhow, I don't want my ignorance to pull the discussion off track. However they manage it, it would be nice for Evernote to have multiple options for email addresses :)

#18 fshapps

fshapps

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

+1

#19 DLansing

DLansing

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Trench - you are not alone. I also use Evernote both for work and for personal notes - sometimes they overlap. My (premium) Evernote account is associated with my personal email address.

At work, I take quite a few note (meeting minutes etc...) which need to get sent out promptly. Typically between 10-15 per day. The Evernote Mac client uses a simple mail window from the Mac Mail client which does not enable you to select an alternative account to mail "from". So, if I send directly from Evernote to clients/colleagues it comes from my personal email.

I share the same issue as Trench that I don't want to broadcast my personal email - but even more than that - I don't want replies to my meeting minutes/business notes going into my personal mailbox and mail server. In the few cases this has happened I have had to go into the personal account and forward - and ask colleagues to remove that mail (as once it's in their outlook it gets used as an alias)

Currently, I send the email to myself and then open the email, edit it and resend to my team. Sure- it only takes 5 extra minutes - but that's an extra hour per day total that I could be spending on other critical activities.

Also, I'd prefer to keep a single Evernote account/instance (I could have two but then I have to pay for premium twice because I need the encryption)

I'm not looking for work arounds - just providing feedback to the Evernote team that this is a desirable feature.

#20 Paul Engel

Paul Engel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I've used Evernote for about a year and I use it for both work and personal items. Since I setup the account using my personal email address all emails I send from Evernote come from that address. I would like to be able to send a note and choose the email address, (allow a default account to be set in the preferences) I want to use. Currently I send the note to my work address, edit the note and send it out again, but I travel frequently so while this may only take a few minutes of work it often delays the note by a few minutes to a few hours depending on my network access and available time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote