New Evernote for Windows 5.8.15 Beta

Justin Street

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.15 release notes:

• Fixed a bug that caused notes to duplicate
  • Fixed the bug that caused the removal of encrypted text when you removed an attachment to the note
  • Fixed a bug that made it difficult to add multiple tags, to multiple notes
  • Removed the spontaneous pop up asking you to rate the app
  • Improved performance of note loading

Thanks for using it!

• Level 5*

Justin, it strikes me that all of these bugs are new bugs introduced in the last few releases over the last month or so.

Do you guys, does Evernote management and developers, understand the significance of that?

It is a clear indication that Evernote is NOT doing the proper debugging and testing PRIOR to release.

This is OLD news.  We have been complaining about this for over a year.

Evernote, when are you going to wake up and smell the roses?

When are you going to quit releasing such buggy software?

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.15 release notes:

• Fixed the bug that caused the removal of encrypted text when you removed an attachment to the note

• Level 5*

Justin, it strikes me that all of these bugs are new bugs introduced in the last few releases over the last month or so.

Do you guys, does Evernote management and developers, understand the significance of that?

It is a clear indication that Evernote is NOT doing the proper debugging and testing PRIOR to release.

This is OLD news.  We have been complaining about this for over a year.

Evernote, when are you going to wake up and smell the roses?

When are you going to quit releasing such buggy software?

5.8.15 release notes:

As long as you have a software which is in constant development, there are going to be bugs. As long as the bugs aren't related to data loss, it's going to be a personal preference if you accept the bugs or if you wish that they'd rather wait and push the software out when they are sure it's pretty free from bugs. Bugs will always take time to find, and it's easier if you have a large user base pointing them out, which will speed up the development process I guess.

I have no problem with the mentioned bugs. What worries me more is that the bugs is a result of a development which gives me next to nothing, as I haven't seen any clear improvement to the core functions in ages.

• Level 5*

First noticed this behavior in 5.8.14.  If you edit a note title by draggng/dropping text in the title, it fails on the first try.  On the second try the edit sticks.  For example:

1. The title is One Two Three
  2. Highlight and drag Three to  before One, after dropping Three the title returns to One Two Three
  3. Repeat the exercise, the title becomes ThreeOne Two, which is what is expected.

Eminently repeatable for me.

• Level 5*

As long as you have a software which is in constant development, there are going to be bugs. 

This is an old argument for excusing the excessive amount of bugs in Evernote.

I fully realize that all software will have some bugs.  But Evernote is far, far worse than any other software I have ever used.  

The real issue here is that most of these bugs that Evernote produces with every new release could be prevented with the proper internal design and testing.  Some of the bugs are extremely obvious.

IMO, failure to find and fix these bugs before release is caused by the extremely frequent updates released by Evernote.  During the last few months, there has been about 2 updates per month.  Evernote needs to increase the release interval to something like 2 or 3 per years, excluding urgent critical security and/or bug fixes.

• Level 5*

Quirky bug... Going to Tools > Options and then clicking OK collapses the Notebook list in the sidebar. When I first installed this new beta, I'd had the Notebook list expanded and it was closed upon opening - I don't know if this is related or not. Consistently reproduces every time.

Also, the sidebar auto-resize has been fixed - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  

• Level 5*

Yeah, errors in software occur.  When old functionality gets broken by the new, when errors repeat release after release or are reintroduced in subsequent versions are all indications of a less than strict testing practice and/or tool set.  There is a lot of functionality in EN so defining the boundaries to ensure no ripples from change must be hard, but some sort of test script process would catch some of the oh so obvious stuff that makes its way to a beta and even worse production.  Rapid pace of change doesn't help for sure, but you shouldn't go any faster than your ability to validate a quality product.  Two levers to pull, pace of change and speed of QC.  One is definitely easier to pull than the other.  IMHO, FWIW.

• Level 5

I have no problem with the mentioned bugs. What worries me more is that the bugs is a result of a development which gives me next to nothing, as I haven't seen any clear improvement to the core functions in ages.

The bugs we're fixing relate to the introduction of a completely new note editor. This will allow for dramatic reduction in editing-related bugs. For example, you'll already see improvements in bulleted list handling in our betas. It will also enable great editing features in the future. Thanks for helping us find and squash these bugs!

Quirky bug... Going to Tools > Options and then clicking OK collapses the Notebook list in the sidebar. When I first installed this new beta, I'd had the Notebook list expanded and it was closed upon opening - I don't know if this is related or not. Consistently reproduces every time.

Noted. Definitely quirky. It appears that going thru the options dialog resets the folder open/closed state to what it was when the program started. (so if all were open, then you collapse, then options, it will reset to all open)

Evernote Windows Really sluggish since downloading latest build 5.8.15

I'm just doing basic actions - entering text, cursoring left or right, deleting characters.  The app is really really sluggish.  No other issues on my machine - no other slow processes.  I even re-booted my machine to be sure

• Level 5*

I run into issues where the app is syncing my notes while I'm editing the note title, and it'll delete the title to revert it back to its original. For example, I scan a document into Evernote using my ScanSnap S1100i, and once it pops into Evernote I re-title it. I'll be halfway through typing the new note title when it'll sync and revert to the ScanSnap default title. This has happened 4 times in the past two days. Maybe it's just how things are and I've just had horrible timing, heh, but it's definitely made me harumph a few times.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Had that a couple of times myself - I wondered whether it would make any difference to enable/ disable background sync and mess with the sync intervals...

• Level 5*

See my post 4 above. It happens every time I edit a title. Most of the time on the second try it it takes. A few times though it takes three or four times to complete the title edit.

• Level 5*

Also, I've noticed this for a little while but am unable to figure out a cause. Some of my notes with attachments just take FOREVER to index. I'm premium, have been for years, and it'll take half an hour for my notes to Index. Not normally a huge problem, but I oftentimes scan the document as PDF to Evernote, then rename the attachment so I can drop it into Todoist or Trello as an attachment without the 20150729151453.pdf file name. But I can't do this when my note says "Attachment Status: 1 PDF has not been indexed" and sits like that through multiple syncs and edits. I find a few threads in the forums when I do a search that seem to say the same thing - some quite old. Is there a time period between sync and Indexing for Premium users I'm missing? I thought it was at next sync but even if it's not and there's a consistent time frame, I'll be happy to wait it out. Unaware if this is just a beta problem or an overall one. I don't scan to my Mac so I can't test there, but Scannable items come in with the right name from the get-go (I rename the attachment to the same name as the note, usually something like 2015-01 Blah blah blah.pdf). It's just the Windows items (that I can test so far) that take fffffooooorreeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrrrr to index.

Additional clarity on the "sluggishness" issue I reported earlier - it's ONLY when I hold down the backspace key or the delete key.  All other cursor movement is fine.  But if I hold down the delete key or the backspace key (both of which obviously have the effect of deleting characters) nothing happens for a couple of seconds and then suddenly several character disappear.  Happens with absolute consistency for me - very easy to replicate.

Totally agree with JMichael, installing new releases is like a lottery, you don't know what is the next surprise, this is not normal in other apps (maybe not so constructive, but is what i feel).

BUG: You can't copy the text of a tittle.

• Level 5*

One more bug: "copy note link" doesn't copy "note link" but the URL of the link....

O_o

Nope - depends where you post it.  In a note,  it's a note link.  In a browser it's a URL....

One more bug: "copy note link" doesn't copy "note link" but the URL of the link....

O_o

Nope - depends where you post it.  In a note,  it's a note link.  In a browser it's a URL....

No, in my case, with 5.8.15, even inside evernote it is pasted the HTTP...

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I had a quick test and it seems to work as expected for me..  you're right-clicking the note title to get the Copy Note Link menu and pasting it from the clipboard?

Hmmn.  I had a quick test and it seems to work as expected for me..  you're right-clicking the note title to get the Copy Note Link menu and pasting it from the clipboard?

Yes, just like always...

To get this working i have to use the "ctrl+context menu" workaround...

Would be nice to have a Hotkey so "ctrl+k" (for example) would be "note link copy", dont understand why the hotkeys is limited to these 4 or 5 you find in the options dialogue...

Hello Justin.

I am a big fan of Evernote in Korea. I have a question for you about another issue of Evernote.

If i format my computer, I used to change the path of Evernote local-file.

But, I had been upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 last week. And I was trying to change the path, but I can't see a list of Local-disks(c:\, d:\, e:\).
Especially, My evernote local-file is located in D:\ drive.

I strongly request you, please fix it.

5.8.15 release notes:

Thanks for using it!

One doubt: in "5.8.0 BETA" the changelog says: "Notebooks can now be sorted in the notebooks menu"

Well, i try to reorder and one "bold line" apopears in the movement of the cursor but nothing happens, thus, the notebooks are note moved/sorted....

• Level 5*

One doubt: in "5.8.0 BETA" the changelog says: "Notebooks can now be sorted in the notebooks menu"

Well, i try to reorder and one "bold line" apopears in the movement of the cursor but nothing happens, thus, the notebooks are note moved/sorted....

If you click on "notebooks" you can sort by name, owner or number of notes.

Not what you expected it means though.

• Level 5*

Totally agree with JMichael, installing new releases is like a lottery, you don't know what is the next surprise, this is not normal in other apps (maybe not so constructive, but is what i feel).

Don't know what the issue may be for you, but I am able to copy the text of a title.  I have other issues with title maintenance in this release, but not this one.  May be conditional, like the issue with drag/drop in the title.  Works sometimes, but not always.

• Level 5*

Don't know what the issue may be for you, but I am able to copy the text of a title.  I have other issues with title maintenance in this release, but not this one.  May be conditional, like the issue with drag/drop in the title.  Works sometimes, but not always.

Title copies no problem here either...

I cannot EVER copy the title in this build. It won't paste in anywhere - only pastes what I had previously copied to my clipboard (from another app or from something not a note title in Evernote). Windows 7 64-bit. Copying text/files works fine - it's just the note title that, without fail, will not copy.

96899f357bc1281d0f08ac0e87e40978.gif

• Evernote Expert

I think we all missed the most important point in this thread.. A user cites that it is okay to have bugs ( Not some really terrible ones that we have seen in the recent past in my opinion), but what is the added functionality that we see?

Let us remember, that this is not a one time software for 50 or 100 $, but a 5$ service per month.. So, we obviously expect a lot more functional improvements as well..

Well, From Evernote's point of view, they can claim lots of things, but what fails is that at its heart, EN is primarily a individual Note taking and management App.. Functions like Work Chat may work great for Evernote Business, but for the ordinary Free and Business User, EN is clearly shoving it down our throats.. ( I couldnt even try to send a simple note as email from my Android Phone).. Two Features like More Magazines which Phil Libin proudly claimed at the annual Conference are clearly misleading ( Since they apply to licenses only around the U.S) and not beyond.. The Presentation Mode Feature again, very much a EN business feature..

So, I feel that EN's focus has shifted towards EN business, and what ever development they do there, they will force it on the rest of us, without realising the basic context that EN business is primarily a tool that needs a lot of sharing and inter communication, while EN Free and EN business are not ( We don't see the EN is primarily an Anti Social App unlike FaceBook, these days, don't we, Phil Libin? :D ) If you look back to the Conference of 2013, Libin Even talks about a Calendar.. We are yet to see it .. :rolleyes: And lol.. I can't believe EN is marketing a Business Product without a Calendar.. I mean, since we have Reminders already ( which is a great product by the way), adding a calendar is the next logical thing, but for over two years, we see nothing off it..

So, I am not very positive, going forward, in any case.. As Far as development is concerned.. I can't even realise the last time, we even had a new feature around..

• Level 5*

Title copies no problem here either...

I cannot EVER copy the title in this build. It won't paste in anywhere - only pastes what I had previously copied to my clipboard (from another app or from something not a note title in Evernote). Windows 7 64-bit. Copying text/files works fine - it's just the note title that, without fail, will not copy.

96899f357bc1281d0f08ac0e87e40978.gif

Got me.  :rolleyes:

EDIT:  Un-Got me.  I am experiencing the same issue now.  No way to copy paste from title to title.  I can copy from title to note body to title, but not from one to the other.  PITA when creating new statement notes....  My bad, apologies.

Archived