Unable to select desired database location on Windows 10

WClampett

When I browse to select the location of my Evernote database (files) I am unable to navigate to the location (which is on a separate drive.

All I can 'see' is OneDrive and my user data. See attached screenshot.

This is not what I want. My boot drive is SSD and only contains the OS and programme files. As far as possible, all data is stored on other HDDs

I upgraded to Windows 10 and I am facing the same issue.

I assume this is happening because Evernote calls for a Browse Folder dialog from Windows in a way that strictly limits it to the User's home folder in Windows.

And yes, I did install Evernote for "All Users."

I guess we will just have to wait for the developers to change the code.

I tried using the registry (regedit) to change the 2 paths I could find, but that did not yield any results.

If anyone could share the location of the setting in the registry or elsewhere which controls the location of the Evernote data folder, it would be much appreciated.

We are aware of this. This is actually a bug (regression) in the Windows 10 shell (SHBrowseForFolder). When browsing from the root CSIDL_DRIVES with the style BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE, Win10 actually roots us in Desktop (one level up). Since we filter out all items that are not fixed or removable drives, that kills pretty much everything in the dialog.

• Level 5*

We are aware of this. This is actually a bug (regression) in the Windows 10 shell (SHBrowseForFolder). When browsing from the root CSIDL_DRIVES with the style BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE, Win10 actually roots us in Desktop (one level up). Since we filter out all items that are not fixed or removable drives, that kills pretty much everything in the dialog.

Seems like a major hangup for anyone using Win10 - any possible workarounds?  Any EN/ MS plans to fix?

No idea on MS - I reported the bug during the beta cycle, but never heard anything. We're considering what to do for a workaround.

To manually fix it:

- Shutdown all Evernote processes (you'll need to kill EvernoteClipper.exe via the task manager).

- Copy/move your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Evernote\Evernote directory to the desired location.

- Edit/create the registry value HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EvernotePath (string) and set it to point to the new location.

- Start Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am having the same problem, yesterday i installed Windows 10 Pro in my desktop [Fresh Install] and installed evernote latest version. After that while changing the location of evernote local files to my external hard drive,the external hard drive is not showing. Only it shows My user and onedrive.

The technical preview of windows was circulating for more than a year, Evernote developers should have looked into this much before.

I am a Doctor and I am about to appear for my doctorate exams in November, with a database more than 20,000 notes in my external hard drive. But can not use them.

Well may be evernote developers are very busy poeple, but individuals of other professions can be busy too.

What is the worth of being a premium subscriber, if we have to face such problems. 

Believe me, i am really in a problem now as i can not read the notes i collected after a hard one year work.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived