(Archived) (Archived) REQUEST: Note ranking system

Note Ranking System - 5 Star system for ranking notes so that you can re-arrange notes without changing creation dates, etc. Also includes sort notebook notes by ranking.

This way we can bump a newly created note to the top of the notebook by adding in a "Ranking Sort"

Where this would be useful - I'm creating a notebook with all my found tweaks for making Vista more usable. As I fill this notebook with text from websites, user created notes, and links to programs that do some of the work, I'd like to have all the Program links at the top of the notebook. (Sharing the notebook would be like a step by step tutorial with all programs required at the beginning so users following along could download all the programs first, then follow the notes on what to do with those programs.)

With a Note ranking system, I could rank all the application links as 5 star, the notes could then be ranked (difficulty, part of OS the tweak belongs to, etc) and put into a coherent format.

I was thinking along similar line a couple of days ago. I have to put together a booklet from various calculation reports and other suporting information that are gathered along the way in completing a project. I was thinking it would be nice to have a user column in the note list that could be used to hold page numbers (or other ranking systems) and could be sorted easily for printing.

Bruce

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

You can accomplish what the OP asked for (and what I believe the rest of you are echoing) with tags. Tagging notes "5 star," "4 star," etc., or just "5," 4," etc. will do this for you.

the problem with using tags for this would be that you won't be able to sort notes by rank criteria in all cases nicely though. (i.e. when notes have multiple tags)

You can accomplish what the OP asked for (and what I believe the rest of you are echoing) with tags. Tagging notes "5 star," "4 star," etc., or just "5," 4," etc. will do this for you.

the problem with using tags for this would be that you won't be able to sort notes by rank criteria in all cases nicely though. (i.e. when notes have multiple tags)

What do you mean?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if my request fits here.

I have more than 800 entries/notes in my Evernote. And I think it's necessary to improve a rating system such as Adobe Bridge/Lightroom does with Stars and Color codes.

Don't you think so?

Hi everybody from Spain!

I'm not sure if my request fits here.

I have more than 800 entries/notes in my Evernote. And I think it's necessary to improve a rating system such as Adobe Bridge/Lightroom does with Stars and Color codes.

Don't you think so?

Hi everybody from Spain!

Tags can sort of do these things for you. Use asterisks for your star ratings. And instead of color codes, use a tag to indicate what a particular color label would denote. For instance, if I have a five star note that I would code with red for high priority, I could tag it with "*****" and "highpriority."

• 3 months later...

Using tags is an interesting hack, but it's still a hack.

This is a poor solution, IMO. Not many people will think to use tags this way. It will make rating notes unnecessarily burdensome. Notes cannot be sorted by the star rating, either.

There are three ways to approach this, I think:

> A single star option, like Gmail.

This would work well for simple favourites.

> A 5 star system, like Netflix.

This would work well for ranking notes. Say you had clipped a bunch of howtos or tips. Then you could rank them based on how good they were. Or say you were collecting ideas for a new book, or something. You could rank them based on how interesting they were.

> A point or voting system, like StackOverflow.

This one is the most interesting to me. But it would have to be slightly different than a regular voting system, that only allows one vote per person. Because Evernote core is a single user system. (Shared notebooks aside.) The way I would want this to work is that I could come back multiple times and vote up or down on a note. Over time, my votes accumulate.

What's the use case? Well. I change my mind a lot. One day an idea might seem completely stupid to me. But the next weekend, it might seem brilliant. I don't trust my snap judgment from day to day. But I do trust my aggregate judgment over time.

What I'd like to be able to do is zip through a notebook and just YES / NO (or +1 / -1) the notes really fast. Without worrying that a -1 vote is going to forever push something to the bottom of the pile. Then I would like to come back a few weeks later and do the same. And so on.

Over time, really good notes might end up as +20, and really bad notes might end up as -30.

Man, I would FREAKIN LOVE this system. I take SO many notes. Many thousands. And just like when I used to be into photography, actually sorting through the tremendous volume I produce is very intimidating. Being able to run through a few times, and take the average of my opinions to work out which are my best notes (shots) was always something I was wishing for.

• Level 5*

Using tags is an interesting hack, but it's still a hack.

This is a poor solution, IMO. Not many people will think to use tags this way. It will make rating notes unnecessarily burdensome. Notes cannot be sorted by the star rating, either.

There are three ways to approach this, I think:

> A single star option, like Gmail.

This would work well for simple favourites.

> A 5 star system, like Netflix.

This would work well for ranking notes. Say you had clipped a bunch of howtos or tips. Then you could rank them based on how good they were. Or say you were collecting ideas for a new book, or something. You could rank them based on how interesting they were.

> A point or voting system, like StackOverflow.

This one is the most interesting to me. But it would have to be slightly different than a regular voting system, that only allows one vote per person. Because Evernote core is a single user system. (Shared notebooks aside.) The way I would want this to work is that I could come back multiple times and vote up or down on a note. Over time, my votes accumulate.

What's the use case? Well. I change my mind a lot. One day an idea might seem completely stupid to me. But the next weekend, it might seem brilliant. I don't trust my snap judgment from day to day. But I do trust my aggregate judgment over time.

What I'd like to be able to do is zip through a notebook and just YES / NO (or +1 / -1) the notes really fast. Without worrying that a -1 vote is going to forever push something to the bottom of the pile. Then I would like to come back a few weeks later and do the same. And so on.

Over time, really good notes might end up as +20, and really bad notes might end up as -30.

Man, I would FREAKIN LOVE this system. I take SO many notes. Many thousands. And just like when I used to be into photography, actually sorting through the tremendous volume I produce is very intimidating. Being able to run through a few times, and take the average of my opinions to work out which are my best notes (shots) was always something I was wishing for.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Personally, I am not interested in ranking my own notes, but I also don't rank my music in iTunes, and I don't put much stock in Netflix stars. Different strokes for different folks I guess. The question for me is not so much whether this would be a useful feature (it obviously would be for you and others), but whether it is worth implementing.

I don't see "hack" as a pejorative term, but as a complimentary one. The star system suggested for the existing tag functionality is an innovative and rather elegant implementation, in my opinion. It partially solves the problem mentioned by the OP. You cannot sort in order, of course, so that is one drawback. However, I imagine (I do not know), that Evernote would have to rewrite the API and every client in order to add this functionality to the application, and that would take a massive amount of resources to achieve this.

As users, it isn't particularly fruitful to speculate on what is or isn't worth doing (even though I do this in lots of threads), but it might be useful to think about focusing on major issues that could potentially affect the experience of a large number of people, especially when the existing functionality already offers a pretty good (perhaps not perfect) solution. For example, I'd like to see the ability to change the names of note links, but there is already a hack for this, and even if it is troublesome, I'd rather see Evernote developers do something else with their time, like add the ability to create note links into mobile platforms.

If we are talking about new types of sorts (in this case, sorting by ranking), I'd like to see a manual sort function instead, so that we could choose the order of notes. This is a long-requested feature, and is something I certainly miss from other programs. Interestingly, I think the combination of a manual sort order and the tag idea would basically offer a solution to the OP's problem. I doubt it will be implemented, because it would be a major change, but it would kill at least two feature-request birds with one stone :)

• 9 months later...

I was quite sure it is already implemented by a custom tool/workaround when I bumped into this. Sad to see that such a basic issue is still unresolved.

As I already have a well-working tag system, I can't use them to the mentioned hack, and using a 5-6 value prioritizing system is so 90's. I am having as many priorities as many items is in the filter result.

Ratings, like for recipes I use tags like that suggested above.

Rankings for things like listing tasks in priority order, I put a priority number in the author field and sort by author.

Archived