cgalli

REQUEST: Mind Mapping

149 posts in this topic

I've been using XMind alongside iThoughtsHD with Dropbox sync, and have been quite happy. No real Evernote integration, however.

I have a major feature proposal for Evernote that I assume has occurred to others. If the developers don't plan to implement something similar, I am hoping that someone can point me to another app that has this feature.

I currently use Apple's Keynote to maintain a large list of 'cheat sheets' for various technical tasks-- math and programming mostly. I find the free-form placement of information to be essential. While I find that this system works, Keynote is not designed for this purpose and it shows. I've now got about 50 slides and its an increasing pain to navigate them. I often have reams of information crammed into single slides, and it will take me a while to find what I'm looking for. On top of this, I have to keep Keynote in a space separate from that holding my work.

What the system really needs is search-- if I can't remember Taylor's theorem or the correct syntax for string formatting in Python, I should be able to find that information immediately and have it pop up in a window in my working space. I once tried keeping this kind of info in Evernote for exactly this reason, but I found I didn't use it. The information was too fragmented for Evernote to provide a satisfying solution, and searching wasn't quick enough. It was easier just to go to my Keynote space and visually scan for the needed info.

Since then, my machine has gotten faster and I've begun using Alfred to search Evernote. I now think that the speed of reference issues are resolved. But I would still miss the high level view that I get in Keynote.

Thus I propose a new feature for Evernote: the ability to arrange individual notes on "maps" or "bulletin boards" in a similar fashion to the Keynote silde shown below. This feature would be purely grafted onto the current system. It is not as if a note would have a home map. It could be on as many or as few as one desired. This would have applications far beyond my needs. The ability to view aggregates of notes as a two dimensional whole would be a major step towards more flexible information representation. Linear lists, Evernote's current offering, just aren't that great.

Thoughts? Suggestions for other apps that might serve this purpose?

EXAMPLE MAP:

cNPMd.jpg

Welcome to the forums, s.mackesey.

I haven't used this program, since I don't need what you're asking for, but you could try out Desk in the Clouds (newly available, it seems, for Mac as well as Windows). If you want more information on Desk in the Clouds, search the forums, since users have described it in other conversations.

I agree that visual mapping is a powerful addition to Evernote's current set of 'brain' tools - +1 for the suggestion, meantime Mind Mapping of various sorts and apps like Workflowy are your only other options to peterf's suggestion above...

I have a major feature proposal for Evernote that I assume has occurred to others. If the developers don't plan to implement something similar, I am hoping that someone can point me to another app that has this feature.

<snip>

Thus I propose a new feature for Evernote: the ability to arrange individual notes on "maps" or "bulletin boards" in a similar fashion to the Keynote silde shown below.

Evernote do not usually divulge their plans ahead of time, so if they're planning something like this, we likely won't know until it starts showing up in betas. I'm doubting that this is coming any time soon, myself; it seems too specialized (maybe I'm wrong about that) and requires a bunch of new organizational glue to make it work.By the way, I'm not sure if this fits in with the notion of maps as purveyed by the mind-mapping crowd (granted I am n expert in that area). Bulletin board sounds closer, though.

Anyways, some of the pieces are in place already. For example

This feature would be purely grafted onto the current system. It is not as if a note would have a home map. It could be on as many or as few as one desired.

To me, this says tags. Equating a "board" with a tag allows you to have any number of notes on that board; conversely, you can tag a note with multiple boards. What's lacking in Evernote is the ability to metadata to the boards: how notes are ordered on the board, layout information, etc., etc. You cannot tie any metadata to a tag. So I think that you'd need to store that externally, and that, I think pushes this into the realm of third-party developers, who would build on Evernote's infrastructure, but add their own

So, could Evernote deliver something like this? Sure.

Will they? Short term, probably not, but long term, who knows?

Maybe you should switch from Math to software development, and make it happen... :)

I am using FreeMind to manage (minor-scale) projects. Unfortunately inserting the "evernote:/.."-Link the desktop-program provides (Copy link) does not work as FreeMind doesn't recognize that kind of links.

However, found kind of a workaround (source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemind/forums/forum/22102/topic/4954326): Use the web-based evernote and copy the Link you get when selecting a specific note. This one is "https:/"-like and works fine with FreeMind (and Wikidpad and presumably other tools not supporting "evernote:/..."-links)

Advantage: Integration of Evernote in FreeMind

Disadvantage: Web-Interface instead of desktop-Program means the need to be "always online" (not a real problem for me)

Additional question: Is there a way to teach FreeMind and/or Wikidpad to use "evernote:/..."-links"?

Huh, just found this thread as I was thinking how I would link a mind mapper to Evernote. I've written a mind mapper which I've been meaning to release under GPL (best intentions and all that) and which I've been using it for years for both research and teaching...

Creating a mindmap in a note doesn't seem very exciting - this could be done trivially by exporting a pdf or text outline and throwing that into a note. Now, you could use Evernote as cloud storage and this might be quite nice if the map had both a visual representation within Evernote and contained the data the application needs. It would mean the note would be essentially read only like a pdf though.

Linking notes from evernote to a map sounds really interesting but there is an issue of scale. I have only several thousand notes in Evernote but if I was to put that on a map it would be utter chaos. So you need a filtered subset and this fits much nicer with maps as a focused approach to a particular topic anyway. So how would it work?

Linking to only a single note seems only a little better than using copy and paste. It could have a nice interface within the mind mapper that lets you search Evernote and creates a live two way link, but still. Maybe adding a branch which gets populated by notes with a particular tag? Or maybe it should hang off the folders? Scale bites here again, because if you have 30 subbranches that's looking really crowded. How would you add a note to the map in a way that indicates it should go to Evernote? What if you have several maps that link to the same note?

I guess I'm stuck on how the two programs would play well with each other, they are quite different approaches to managing information.

Google junkies - combined Android and Chrome users - may get mileage out of Connected Mind, which is an app that runs on both. Integration cross platform is great. I use it to pop a screengrab of a topic I've mapped into Evernote. Google Play link is here

I don't believe that Evernote itself should develop mind mapping solution, but there is certainly something that you can do to encourage mind map developers to do something about creating tighter integration of their software into Evernote.

For individuals who like to use mind maps ConceptDraw MINDMAP has just released the ability to put mind map content into Evernote. One can place a map topic (text), a map branch (text), an entire map (text), or an entire map (text, image, file) into your Evernote account. I am looking for feedback on our next interation of ConceptDraw product.

I don't personally do a ton of mind mapping, but I've enjoyed using XMind when I've needed to. You can export as a PDF and store in Evernote (not as elegant as Mindjet, I know).

Hi all

I've a problem that I don't know if it can be fixed. When I attach a mindmanager file to my notes on Evernote, if I want to modify it from my desktop pc, there is no problem, but If I modify it from my tablet, the modifications made to the mind map are lost.

So, when I modify a mindmanager attached file from my tablet I alway loose the modifications.

But if, instead of opening the file from evernote, if I open it from mindmanager, then the modifications are saved correctly.

I don't know if the problem comes from evernote or from mind manager, but any help will be very gratefull.

Thanks

Hi all

I've a problem that I don't know if it can be fixed. When I attach a mindmanager file to my notes on Evernote, if I want to modify it from my desktop pc, there is no problem, but If I modify it from my tablet, the modifications made to the mind map are lost.

So, when I modify a mindmanager attached file from my tablet I alway loose the modifications.

But if, instead of opening the file from evernote, if I open it from mindmanager, then the modifications are saved correctly.

I don't know if the problem comes from evernote or from mind manager, but any help will be very gratefull.

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I do not know Mind Manager, but I don't think it matters much, because what you are talking about is the expected behavior. Evernote doesn't have anything to do with most file types. When you try to open something, it looks for a program on your computer or tablet that is appropriate for the file type. On the desktop, your file will open in that program and save back into Evernote.

On the tablet, though, the operating systems isolate programs from one another, especially on the iPad, where you "open in" another program and have to "open in" Evernote to get it back into Evernote. This will create a new note, and you are unable to save the file into the same note where you started. I only know of one program that has overcome this obstacle in the operating system -- Quick Office Pro (http://trunk.evernote.com/app/quickoffice-pro-hd/ipad). Unfortunately, it would not work with Mind Manager.

Are you using Android or iOS?

Android.

Well, I'd say your chances of getting this to work there are at least better! Maybe not with the current build, which is rather limited, because it only supports editing of plain text, but perhaps in future versions.

What are the mindmapping tools people are using to integrate with Evernote? I've been testing Mindomo, XMind, and Curio (Mac only). I'm looking for something where, at a minimum, I can either link to a web-based map or easily open a mindmap in Evernote to edit. I use mindmaps a lot to brainstorm new project ideas, and I use Evernote for my GTD and my general "hub" application. Thanks!

I am an Xmind user (Windows) but haven't tried any integration with Evernote. Like you , I use mind maps for brainstorming new project ideas. I also use it to take notes when coaching clients. I use Evernote for general filing, resource library and research.

MindManager from Mindjet. It has served me very well for a decade. I've been using it in conjunction with Evernote since I've adopted Evernote. I have also subscribed to Mindjet's Catalyst, which is their cloud service for storing mindmaps in the cloud. I can link maps--and even objects in maps--to Evernote notes and vice versa.

I don't understand the opposition by some people for Evernote to take on some mind mapping capabilities.  I personally see mind mapping as yet another way to index pieces of information and is just a tool that allows people to define the interaction and relationship between various nuggets of info which seems to me to fit the evernote world very well.   I like the ideas in evernote with notebooks and tags but honestly haven't you realized that notebooks and tags are basically 2 different ways to attempt to manage the same thing?  We've all come up with some rules we use about putting things into notebooks or having tags by either using on our own method or by reading somebody elses recommendations and I'd venture to guess that you've changed your mind a few times - what made sense before doesn't now and so on - whatever - knowledge is fluid and having tools that allow you just see some of the possible interrelations of various nuggets just seems logical to me and If it doesn't work for you then don't use it...

mind maps are usable as tools for conceptualizing a single idea which might be initially seen as a single note in evernote but I'd venture to guess that most ideas that have legs need further development and individual elements of what was initially a single note now might become much more elaborate in some cases requiring an entire new tree/map.  I used to think of maps in two categories 'indexs' and 'concepts' but after playing with them for awhile I realize that they're really the same thing.  Either way I find the lack of such a tool in Evernote to be disappointing.  That doesn't mean I don't love evernote and don't get value from it but the lack of some sort of graphical dynamic multi-indexing capability limits its value IMO.  

We have just launched our "Mohiomap" web application - A Visual Memory for Evernote - available at https://www.moh.io/mohiomap/

Mohiomap allows you to visualize and navigate your Evernote notebooks, and experience your notes in a whole new light! 

The application is available for free. After signing up for a Mohiomap account, you can securely connect to you Evernote account and start exploring. 

We are committed to ongoing improvements and development of new features. At this stage we are most interested in feedback from beta testers regarding the functionality and stability of the application. Once you are logged into the application you can contact us using the "Feedback" button. 

(Mohiomap is an update to our "Mohionote" app that we had in last years DevCup: http://2012.devcup.evernote.com/submissions/8695-mohionote)

Please get in touch for any questions, comments, or feedback - we would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Christian Hirsch

2 people like this

I think you are on to something. It sure did a very fast search of my 3300+ notes! After more testing will get back to you.

David in Wichita

Thanks for testing out David! 

Just wanted to chime in that the team from Mohio is a legitimate group doing very cool things--please feel free to check them out.  We'll pin this up for a bit in case anyone is interested in trying.  Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback, David!

I'd be very interested in any further comments once you tested it a bit more - let me know

Christian