How to clip screenshot into the current note?!

Raneo

Hello Evernote users,

I'm new premium Evernote user.

How can I clip screenshot into the current note that's opened in Evernote?

Example:

I made new note in Evernote, and wrote some text,

what i want is clipping screenshot into that same note!, instead of the default Evernote way.

(The default way is pressing the shortcut "Win+PrintScreen", then its will be found in a new note, so we have to cut the image from the new note and paste it into the old note, so its really slow)

I need a faster way to do this!

Thanks!

As far as I know, you can't clip directly to an existing note. What you can do is

select the two notes and "merge" them into one note, using the "right click" menu.

Hello Evernote users,

I'm new premium Evernote user.

How can I clip screenshot into the current note that's opened in Evernote?

Example:

I made new note in Evernote, and wrote some text,

what i want is clipping screenshot into that same note!, instead of the default Evernote way.

(The default way is pressing the shortcut "Win+PrintScreen", then its will be found in a new note, so we have to cut the image from the new note and paste it into the old note, so its really slow)

I need a faster way to do this!

Thanks!

As far as I know, you can't clip directly to an existing note. What you can do is

select the two notes and "merge" them into one note, using the "right click" menu.

Thanks for replying

I already know that, but when i do it , a gray background will appear with note title

There should be a faster way !

• Level 5

I already know that, but when i do it , a gray background will appear with note title

There should be a faster way !

I agree. Merging seems to a be an Evernote designed work-around.

And some web sites make it more difficult by requiring their editorials to span more than one page and do not offer a single page view (thereby increasing their page view count). So each web page has to be clipped into separate notes, then merged.

If you merge the notes in the wrong sequence, you have to restore the originals from trash and try again.

The gray background bar contains the URL and other information about each of the pages you merged. It can be deleted, but as you point out, it is a slow process.

I agree. Merging seems to a be an Evernote designed work-around.

And some web sites make it more difficult by letting their editorials span more than one page (to increase their page view count) and do not offer a single page view. So each web page has to be clipped into separate notes, then merged.

If you merge the notes in the wrong sequence, you have to restore the originals from trash and try again.

The gray background bar contains the URL and other information about each of the pages you merged. It can be deleted, but as you point out, it is a slow process.

So true, god be with you, your problem is bigger than mine :D

but i think u can click and drag, then copy and paste into existing note? i cant do that with printscreens.

because i want to crop small area of the whole printscreen image!

anyway lets focus now on clipping screenshot into an existing note!

Thanks for replying!

what i want is clipping screenshot into that same note!,

Do your screen cap but hold down the CTRL button before releasing the mouse button, This puts the screen cap into your clipboard instead of creating a new note. Go to your note, position cursor where you want the image & paste.

Do your screen cap but hold down the CTRL button before releasing the mouse button, This puts the screen cap into your clipboard instead of creating a new note. Go to your note, position cursor where you want the image & paste.

Oh god, really good tip, that just what i wanted! Problem solved!

Really thanks BurgersNFries :D !

I think there's more tips like this, do you know where i can read about them?

You're welcome.

IME, the best place to find out tips is perusing this message board & using the search function, if you have specific questions.

You're welcome.

IME, the best place to find out tips is perusing this message board & using the search function, if you have specific questions.

Okey, but its will be easier for everyone if there is one place for advanced tips and technique!

Thanks again BurgersNFries, BTW nice name!

Okey, but its will be easier for everyone if there is one place for advanced tips and technique!

True. But EN is still a pretty small company and IMO they are being very cautious about making sure they stay in the black. Additionally, they are regularly changing the UIs of many clients. Just within the past year, I know the Windows client, iPhone client, web client & Mac client have been redone. So tips & tricks & documentation is pretty much a daily job. They may have assigned that a lower priority so they can focus on the product itself & let users help other users on this board.

BTW nice name!

Thank you!

Excellent!

True. But EN is still a pretty small company and IMO they are being very cautious about making sure they stay in the black. Additionally, they are regularly changing the UIs of many clients. Just within the past year, I know the Windows client, iPhone client, web client & Mac client have been redone. So tips & tricks & documentation is pretty much a daily job. They may have assigned that a lower priority so they can focus on the product itself & let users help other users on this board.

Ah I get it now, I really like this program and I'm already addicted

I'll be here to get tips and tricks,

Thanks again for your help BurgersNFries!

C ya around :(

• 1 month later...

The tip mentioned above is truly a crucial one (and never mentioned on any official EN documentation). It's a shame that I need to literally spend days trawling through the forum to compile all the essential tips. I am compiling for myself a library of tips, tricks and techniques that should have been available via Evernote itself.

• Level 5*
The tip mentioned above is truly a crucial one (and never mentioned on any official EN documentation). It's a shame that I need to literally spend days trawling through the forum to compile all the essential tips. I am compiling for myself a library of tips, tricks and techniques that should have been available via Evernote itself.

Please check out the Knowledge Base. It's linked from here: https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/splash.asp?deptID=16058, and the screen shot options are covered here: https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/627/How-can-I-add-Windows-screen-captures-directly-to-Evernote

• 6 months later...

This may be windows only - I don't get these modifiers in EN 3.0.6 Mac.

For Mac users: use the OSX shortcuts for

• 'Copy a picture of the screen to the clipboard' Ctrl+Cmd+Shift+3
  • 'Copy a picture of selected area to the clipboard' Ctrl+Cmd+Shift+4

These can be customised in System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screen Shots.

I'd like the EN helper to duuplicate the functionality, though, because I miss the clip selected window function, with its pretty little dropshadow :)

A workaround is to use skitch, then 'Add shadow to image' (I've configured a shortcut for that) and drag to EN. I find it strange that there is no Share to / Clip to EN! I hope the two grow together over time :)

This may be windows only - I don't get these modifiers in EN 3.0.6 Mac.

Well, this is the Windows section.

• Level 5*

And some web sites make it more difficult by requiring their editorials to span more than one page and do not offer a single page view (thereby increasing their page view count). So each web page has to be clipped into separate notes, then merged.

Late to the party again, but I just caught up :)

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but if you see an item you want to clip that is spread over more than one page, check for "print" icons or "printer friendly" options, or hit the Clearly button. Some Java "print" utilities will bring up your local printer options (you could print to PDF to save the page that way..) but most will show you a one-page printer-friendly version of the same item in one place.

Clearly is smart enough to do the same, sometimes.

Either way - one item, one note, no grey bars.

• Level 5*
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but if you see an item you want to clip that is spread over more than one page, check for "print" icons or "printer friendly" options, or hit the Clearly button. Some Java "print" utilities will bring up your local printer options (you could print to PDF to save the page that way..) but most will show you a one-page printer-friendly version of the same item in one place. Clearly is smart enough to do the same, sometimes. Either way - one item, one note, no grey bars.

I have done this many times on one particular site that I visit - the only "challenge" is that the headings are repeated on each "new page", so you need to go in and strip those out (unless you don't care to do so!). While Clearly is good, it is not yet perfect for all the options that webmasters can throw at us!

• 2 years later...

Fantastic tip! I use the Screen clipping to write how-tos all the time! Thanks! :)

• 9 months later...

Evernote guys:  

Clipping to the same note would be extremely handy.  No one wants to go back and merge what could be potentially hundreds of "new notes" from various websites when doing research.  Adding to an existing note at the bottom seems like an obvious solution here.  As a developer, I'm not quite sure why this is hard to implement especially when many other applications have figured this out.  I apologize if I am I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what it is.  In fact, this is one of the reasons I stop using Evernote and simply open up a Google Document to copy and paste in.  I don't want that many notes and I don't want to have to remember to "merge" them after the fact.

Thank you for reading this.

Archived