Resizing photos for disk space

Good morning everyone.
I'm new and as I've not seen any presentation thread I start by 🖐️ saying hello. I'm from Italy and have evernote from several year. I use two separate account (both premium): one mixed for private and works, and other for cataloguing and storing photos. Both account are linked to a Mac and PC-Win.
I've a question as have a tons of photos and incredible ammount of space occupied by them. I've found that with a software for compression I can modify the images directly from Evernote data folder in batch, instead of doing them one by one. Evernote read the modified photo without problem, but as it doesn't recognize the difference as the file names is the same, there no sync so on the other computer there are still the large size photos.
There is some trick? I've thought to delete the account on that computer and logging back, but I think the problem is either the server (?) would hasn't updated with the resize photos. Right?

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/20/2019 at 7:57 AM, rhalkas said:

MacBook with High Sierra OS. From the mac Library folder >application support>www.evernote.Evernote>account>www.evernote.com>xxxxx folder>content>xxxx folder.

Right, sneaking into back end database and direct updates to the data files
I do this too, mostly editing the note's content.enml file

Unfortunately, Evernote does not know that there are updates to sync
You have to use the Evernote app and make a dummy change.
Maybe select the notes and add a temporary tag. edit: A change to the note is not sufficient.  An image update is needed.

• Level 5*

I think we verified some time ago that Evernote - sensibly - won't upload two copies of the same image,  so 'replacing' one with a smaller copy of the same file isn't possible without getting around the 'official' processes. 

Respectfully to both the OP and Evernote,  the app really sucks as a Photo archive.  There are far better options out there,  many of them free - and inclusive of editing tools which Evernote does not have.  Being a photographer (as well as all-round texpert and hunk) I also don't fancy my pictures going the route (as they do in Windows) of being scrunched into the EXB database and then translated back into the HD JPG files I need to print.  .

Storage is so cheap these days that I have terrabytes of external hard drive with my Lightroom catalogues and original picture files (mine run to 25MB per time in full RAW format.)

I have some photos in Flickr,  some in Google Photos,  but all the originals are local files.  Lightroom has a passable index,  and most apps including Google now have AI options that will find all the pictures with water,  use facial recognition to ID connections and generally play all sorts of games with content.

• Like 1

Hi Gazumped,

thanks for the reply. I'm using the second account for writing the lots for an auction house catalogue. Under my note I attach the pictures I do of each object so to have always at glance, because I'm from Rome and the objects are in Turin and seen them one time I don't see them again.

When I've used the camera I've attached large size JPG images without realizing it so I got something more than 20GB of space. On my Mac I've found useful an app called Squash which worked very well directly selecting all the photo from the library folder, instead doing one by one (impossible to do cause the amount).

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Maybe select the notes and add a temporary tag.

Thanks, I'll try to do so and see on the PC if it sync.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

I also don't fancy my pictures going the route (as they do in Windows) of being scrunched into the EXB database and then translated back into the HD JPG files I need to print.  .

On Macs, only the metadata is stored in the database (LocalNoteStore.sqlite)
The note contents and attachments remain in the file system, a separate folder for each note.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, DTLow said:

Maybe select the notes and add a temporary tag.

I've tried to make some change and sync, but on the Ccomputer with Win 10 OS the image are still the same size.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Did your dummy change (temporary tag?) sync?

Yes, I did with tag or text. It's took  while to sync but when I've checked the image size was the same as before.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, rhalkas said:

I've tried to make some change and sync, but on the Ccomputer with Win 10 OS the image are still the same size.

In case you want to know (since you are a Windows user): on Windows, the way to properly resize an image in an Evernote note is to use an external editor like... MS Paint. Right-click on the image, select "Open With...", and then Paint (or Choose Program..., if you don't see Paint or your favorite image editor). In Paint, pick the Resize operation from the toolbar, do the resize, and then File / Save. Exit Paint, and you should see the changes immediately in your Evernote note, and it should sync properly as well, without needing to use a dummy tag or other operation.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, rhalkas said:

I make some back-end updates to images, and replicated your issue.
The updated images will  not sync.  I now have different image files on my Mac compared to the other platforms
The note contents sync ok, not the images

I had an idea; duplicate the note with the updated image.
Don't try this. My installation is corrupted and I will have to reinstall

We could open a support ticket but I don't think it will go far.
Back-end updates are not a sanctioned activity.

fwiw   The sync process is      device <> server <> device
When debugging sync issues, check the server data using the web platform at www.evernote.com

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I had an idea; duplicate the note with the updated image.
Don't try this. My installation is corrupted and I will have to reinstall

File under "No good deed goes unpunished". :) 

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We could open a support ticket but I don't think it will go far.
Back-end updates are not a sanctioned activity.

Yah. Correct support response for this would be "Sorry, but don't do that."

• Level 5*
On 5/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, jefito said:

In case you want to know (since you are a Windows user): on Windows, the way to properly resize an image in an Evernote note is to use an external editor like... MS Paint. Right-click on the image, select "Open With...", and then Paint (or Choose Program..., if you don't see Paint or your favorite image editor). ...

On 5/21/2019 at 5:50 PM, John in Michigan USA said:

The GIMP has nice features for batch editing, and fully supports command-line options. Perhaps there is a way to use the API, or (!) a screen scrape from the Web client, to automate the process of correctly sizing images and sync'ing those changes.

The OP is currently using a Mac for batch editing of images in notes.

Instead of the back-end edit, I would use Applescript; processing each note  to

1. Export the image(s)
  2. Launch the editor (Image Events/GIMP/..) and update the image
  3. Import the images

>>Re the Applescript approach: you would probably have to include a step to access the EN API, in order to tell EN to sync the changes?

AppleScript uses EN APIs;  the sync is automatic with the image update/import 

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

>>If I read correctly, the OP has access to both Mac and Windows clients. The GIMP has Linux, MacOS and Windows flavors.

A problem is that the images are locked inside the Evernote database.  They have to be exported before any editor operations

GIMP could be the editor, depending on the requirements.  I like command-line options.

I'm not good with Applescript. On my Mac I've just searched jpg image inside the folder where are stored all the folders containing the data. In this way I've used to drag them in stock to an app called Squash and resized. In this way from 40GB I cutted it half! Which mean a lot on my 128GB hard disk. On the Win deskopt I have a terabyte system, so I'm not strugling a lot.

I've just a question, if I need to format the mac for a clean OS reinstallation, would be more appropriate do export and backup the notes instead to resync and resize all the images again?

• Level 5*
On 5/21/2019 at 10:26 PM, rhalkas said:

would be more appropriate do export and backup the notes instead to resync and resize all the images again?

Generally speaking; for a clean reinstall, I would not go with the export/import process
The import creates a new set of notes, which then sync
You end up with a duplicate set of notes

The export>import solution is an interesting idea
It might create a new set of notes, with the updated images; these might sync to your other devices
You could test this with a single note.
I'll sit this out; once bitten, twice shy (my Evernote crash)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In general I doubt that using EN a a picture database is a good idea. EN simply lacks most of what a good picture library offers.

There are other programs specialized in this, allowing tagging, comments and modifying existing EXIF data, among the more obvious features like sorting pics, shrinking the size etc. On the Mac, I personally use Graphics Converter which is quite strong in batch processing of a load of pictures in many ways, including RAW processing. It can be tried out as shareware, full version has to be purchased later. Pictures are handled in folder structures, which make them accessible by other programs.

If I need picture access in Evernote, I can still copy pictures into EN (which creates duplicates), or create links to the picture file. When doing this, I must never change the folder / path structure to these pictures, because else I end up with a lot of corrupted links.

Hi, PinkElephant.
Thank for your suggestion. As said I'm using to attach the images under the text so I've them at glance as reference point for my cataloguing work. Also with Evernote I can share the notes to be checked and paragonated with the picutres on Windows computers.

I don't know Graphics Converter, will look for. 

• Level 5*
On 5/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, gazumped said:

I think we verified some time ago that Evernote - sensibly - won't upload two copies of the same image, 

As per @gazumped
Attachments are not stored in Evernote by the original filenames.
Instead, it's "The hash attribute contains an MD5 checksum of the corresponding resource's bytes, which is used as an unambiguous identifier that points from the hypertext to one of the note's attached resources."
For example, Sample.png becomes E8E50C11-8DC1-4304-9396-B806716D4DE8.png

So within a note, multiple copies of the attachment all point to the same file

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1