Evernote in Surface Go doesn't work

I have had the new Surface Go for a few days and I still didn't manage to start Evernote.

Somehow it starts but it stays in the background. There is a process EvernoteTray.exe but there is no window, no UI.

There is also an icon in the task bar (right side). When I try to open Evernote from here a message window opens with this message:

"Evernote is not ready to accept clips. Please open the main application and try again."

I have installed Evernote from the Microsoft Store which is what Microsoft recommends to save battery life and security. I have not tried with the standard Evernote version for Windows.

Same issue. Evernote will allow to sign in but the close after and close/crash each time it is opened. 

Its working ok on my laptop so either must be an issue with a remote running on Surface Go or Windows S

7 hours ago, Mafaldo said:

I have had the new Surface Go for a few days and I still didn't manage to start Evernote.

Somehow it starts but it stays in the background. There is a process EvernoteTray.exe but there is no window, no UI.

There is also an icon in the task bar (right side). When I try to open Evernote from here a message window opens with this message:

"Evernote is not ready to accept clips. Please open the main application and try again."

I have installed Evernote from the Microsoft Store which is what Microsoft recommends to save battery life and security. I have not tried with the standard Evernote version for Windows.

I don't have Surface Go but this similar problem happens to me sometimes at my home PC. I click on the app, no UI and I will even get the reminder pop ups. 

I generally do the CTRL + ALT + DEL to go the task manager and END TASK for all Evernote related items. Generally, there are many processes running, so I end them all and retry it. See if that works for you.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, Mafaldo said:

I've seen other reports here of various problems with the Microsoft Store version of Evernote. Don't know why it should be different, but it may be. I'd give the standard Evernote version a try: https://evernote.com/download.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've seen other reports here of various problems with the Microsoft Store version of Evernote. Don't know why it should be different, but it may be. I'd give the standard Evernote version a try: https://evernote.com/download.

With the Surface Go running Windows S the only installation option is through the store. External download sources are disabled without updating to Windows Home/Pro which is not ideal... 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
57 minutes ago, DTR said:

With the Surface Go running Windows S the only installation option is through the store. External download sources are disabled without updating to Windows Home/Pro which is not ideal... 

Sorry, my bad. Still on Windows 7 here! Hopefully someone else may have a solution--such as what @TK0047 has suggested.

I finally gave up and changed the Surface to use the standard Windows 10 Home out of the S Mode.

I don't expect the Evernote team to waste their time in basic functionality. They are busy on adding new and exciting features to Evernote that almost nobody wil use.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here on Surface Go running Windows S. Contacted Evernote team about 6 weeks ago and they said they were aware of the issue and working on a solution and hoped to get an updated app out in 2 weeks. They were also kind enough to offer some Evernote points that could be used for my subscription. Unfortunately 6 weeks on and Nada. Please Evernote team, lets get this one right!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just got my Surface Go (still running in S-Mode) . Installed all updates and having the same issue. As soon as the App launches, it closes after a second or two. 

This is really inconvenient as I use Evernote for work every day (and I don't want to switch out of S-Mode).

Will use online Web version for now.

Hope this gets a fix soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I've just got a Surface Go too, and one of the first things I did was install Evernote from the Store (as it's still in S-mode). Evernote doesn't work for me either. 😒

Does switching the Go to full Windows 10 from S-mode slow it down significantly? Thanks for any advice. 

On 12/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, Darius1B said:

I've just got a Surface Go too, and one of the first things I did was install Evernote from the Store (as it's still in S-mode). Evernote doesn't work for me either. 😒

Does switching the Go to full Windows 10 from S-mode slow it down significantly? Thanks for any advice. 

Hi, I reckon you'd be less than pleased if you actually run the small model. However from what I know about the S-mode and knowing Microsoft Store apps I'd return the device and get myself a proper machine with a regular Windows Pro installation. 

I find Evernote laggy at the best of times, despite being hosted by Google,  and decided not to install Evernote on my Surface Pro. Evernote's pen support is minimum 3 yrs behind the times, so the joy with Evernote is even more constrained.

• 1 month later...

FYI: We just got a Go and I was able to reproduce with 6.17.5 which is what downloaded from the store. And then, lo and behold!, today Windows Update kicked in and upgraded me to Version 1809, build 17763.316 - AND EN WORKS! (I also clicked 'check for updates' and saw a bios update happen)

• 2 years later...
On 9/7/2018 at 1:10 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I have had this problem since December 2020 when I got a second PC with windows 10 S mode, where I try to load Evernote app. It doesn’t work, and here now I find this has been a problem for over two years!

It doesn’t work, and here now I find this has been a problem for over two years!

Don’t know if it’s Microsoft or Evernote but this is pitiful!  

• Level 5

To whom do you complain when deciding to run a computer in a crippled mode ? It is Microsoft deciding to severely restrict the OS in this S mode. If anybody could circumvent it, the added security would be broken, leaving the door open for everybody. When in S mode, AFAIK you can run the EN web client using Edge.

So it is up to you if you want to continue to run the computer in S mode, or switch to a standard Windows install:

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode.

This clearly says if an app is not running in S mode, it is expected behavior due to the restrictions applied, and not a bug.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:12 PM, PinkElephant said:

This clearly says if an app is not running in S mode, it is expected behavior due to the restrictions applied, and not a bug.

I think the issue is that the Windows Store offers EN when in S mode. I remember a thread a while back where EN acknowledged v10 doesn't work right. (I thought I saw a post saying it was resolved, but - what were we talking about again?)

v6 does not work in S mode. As far as I know, no "centennial" apps do (the whole security issue).