Importing from Google Keep to Evernote

I've been using Google Keep now for about 6 months and just have been devastated to find out that it limits you to 50 labels. I need to switch and I hear a lot of great things about Evernote.

Anyway to import several hundred Google Keep Notes automatically into Evernote? 

Is there a better place to ask this question?

• 2 months later...
  • Ex Employees

Although it would be nice to have the ability to import into Evernote, I think it's wrong to expect Evernote to be able to import from whatever other service people are using. We have a lot of other issues to address and features to add, so I wouldn't expect to see importing in the near future.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 11/7/2018 at 8:09 AM, zoziano said:

Such expensive software should provide features. No features no pay

I know the Evernote features; can you provide details on your cost for this "expensive software"?

I see you have a Basic account; the software is free, the account is free

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, pkellner said:

I have a paid account and I would like to import from Google Keep.

afaik   there is no Keep > Evernote integration

We can advise on the import solutions for Evernote
You need to identify the export solutions for Google Keep

• 4 weeks later...
  • As a programmer I can understand that not each and every feature user space dreamed up to be exist in the actual software.
  • However as a past product manager, I cannot understand a software development company which lets one of the major competitors to get away with all user data.

On being a paid/free/cheap/expensive etc product:

• I used to have a Premium Evernote account, that I let to expire after encountering a problem (which I do not even remember or care now)
  • I switched to One Note under a paid account, which was terribly easy BTW.
  • When One Note developed some reliability issues in MacOS, I switched to Keep under a paid Google account, which was difficult but justified due to One Note issues.
    • I did not switched back to Evernote, because of import problems of Evernote.
  • Currently I am looking for an isolated note taker for a hobby project, which might ot might not require data import from Keep but I like to keep my options open.

So kids, the moral of the story. If your software is not import capable it is difficult if not impossible to be chosen by "old" or "serious users with a long back story". And OTOH if your software is export capable, people would trust your software. I know I can gather all my data and leave Google, all services if I want to, in one or two days. So that I can trust my data to them...

On 11/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, Scott T. said:

Although it would be nice to have the ability to import into Evernote, I think it's wrong to expect Evernote to be able to import from whatever other service people are using. 

I agree that writing import routines for every note app out there might be fiscally unreasonable, but maybe some of the people asking for this will become Premium members once they are sure that Evernote can import their existing notes. Maybe not, that's true, but also consider that when competing software is about to disappear, you may get more than just one occasional new user.

I started with Evernote a long time ago, but didn't keep it up because at the time there was some reason I couldn't use the phone app. There was a competing app that I could use, so I switched to that.

So now I want to switch back. I have just over 300 notes that I want to import into Evernote. They're currently in a .CSV file, but I've also exported that as individual text files. Maybe I can find a way to convert those text files to HTML (I know how to code HTML, but I'm not going to do it manually for 333 files). I did discover that if I can view a note in Chrome, I can use the web clipper to get it into Evernote, but I have to do it one at a time, copying the actual title into the Title space (currently Evernote puts the name of the web page in there), and it appears that the body of the note is not searchable.

(Does anyone have suggestions on how to import from another app?)

• Level 5*
On 12/21/2018 at 7:03 PM, morvenwestfield said:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to import from another app?

Hi.  You don't say what you want to import from,  but on the assumption that it is Google Keep,  this should help.  If not,  it has some good ideas about using Google Docs as an interim stage to change the format of your notes.  If you have stuff in a CSV file I have used a 'mail merge' operation to save data that was in a spreadsheet as individual 'letters' with two main fields:  <Title> and <Note body>.  It was a while ago so you'd have to experiment to find out how it works best.  Short term,  a CSV file is a text file,  so you could just dump the whole thing into one note (if it's less than 25MB) to make it Evernote-searchable,  and copy individual sections into separate notes if and when you need to edit or refer to them.  (Has the advantage of being quick and dirty and spreading your curation work over a period if your notes aren't time sensitive).

Edit - NB: large note sizes and mobile access don't go hand in hand however - you might want to break the content down a little,  at least...

Edit #2 - Oh yeah.. that link... https://www.guidingtech.com/transfer-notes-google-keep-evernote/

I frankly am following this issue out of curiosity, as a programmer. It turned out to be obvious that Evernote is not suitable none of my three (yea I know it is more than feasible) concurrent usage scenarios. Evernote used to be an extremely useful product. My usage patterns while the number of them increased, got simplified but I cannot use a program which was carrying all my notes in a particular time period in the past. Import/export issues are one of the major road blocks, along with some minor issue. Sorry for this...

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You don't say what you want to import from,  but on the assumption that it is Google Keep,  this should help.

No, it was Toodledo. I managed to do it, finally, and now all my notes are in Evernote.

I found a script online to make my .CSV file into individual notes. Then I put them into Evernote using the Windows Send To command (another suggestion I found online). That worked, to a degree. It made the filename the note name, and put the body of the note into Evernote's body, but it took me days of searching and playing with different scripts to do this. As I said, I know it's not feasible for Evernote to write an import script for every product out there, but if there was one script that could read an Excel file that had the name in the first column and the note in the second, that would help those who are able to get CSV exports of their notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, morvenwestfield said:

if there was one script that could read an Excel file that had the name in the first column and the note in the second, that would help those who are able to get CSV exports of their notes.

Sounds like a job for a third-party developer...  any takers out there?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, Scott T. said:

Although it would be nice to have the ability to import into Evernote, I think it's wrong to expect Evernote to be able to import from whatever other service people are using. We have a lot of other issues to address and features to add, so I wouldn't expect to see importing in the near future.

Honestly was just considering going paid to Evernote and switch from Google keep.  Specifically because you can record audio files directly in Evernote and looking for a place to keep song demos and lyrics in one note.

This kind of response from staff is making me think twice.

• Level 5

You are posting a comment that is more than 3 years old. OK, the internet will not forget …

But if you look at the thread in which it was posted, it is quite obvious that @Scott T. is perfectly right:

There are a ton of other apps out there, each with its own, proprietary data format. Plus the basic structure is different. In addition it can change without further notice.

EN has its own basic structure, and uses a pretty open standard for the notes. Basically each note is sort of a mini website, based on HTML.

Since a part of the information a note holds is in the metadata, it is practically impossible to provide an import tool that extracts the data from another service, reformats it and moves it in perfect shape into EN.

EN describes here how to import - the export from the other service must be done using tools provided by that service:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314308

A good strategy has been to only convert notes you actively need. Keep the rest in the other service, or export to archive files like PDF.

• Like 1