Ernold

Print a note from Evernote Android

Idea

Make a button in Evernote phone app with txt "Print" and when user clicks that button his/hers wifi printer prints the note.

• Like 2

11 replies to this idea

On 3/6/2017 at 3:22 AM, Ernold said:

Make a button in Evernote phone app with txt "Print" and when user clicks that button his/hers wifi printer prints the note.

To not have included a *print* option in the Android version of EN is tantamount to willful ignorance on the part of your program's developers. It's as if they were determined to demonstrate how skillfully they can ply their trade by creating a UI that employs one-single line of code less than what some other team of developers might have created. In reality, all they have done is diminish the value of EN for the entirety of its users on the Android platform. So,  congratulations. Now may we please have the fully functional UI that you should have provided to us from the very-first day that EN launched on Android! 

This is a good idea, and has been suggested more than once. If you haven't yet, please click the up-arrow at the top of this page to support it.

One further thought, though. Do you know what that one single line of code would be? Me neither. Who knows, maybe it takes more than one line. Maybe printing from Android is not all that simple. It is possible to ask for the app to be improved without making unpleasant assumptions about those who have to do the work.

10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

One further thought, though. Do you know what that one single line of code would be? Me neither. Who knows, maybe it takes more than one line. Maybe printing from Android is not all that simple. It is possible to ask for the app to be improved without making unpleasant assumptions about those who have to do the work.

Well, all I can say that the share and send to functions are supported by many Android apps. I use OneNote quite regularly and through the built-in save to pdf format printing is no problem whatever. I'd be pretty annoyed if I could not use my mobiles with network printers.

Maybe some or even a larger number of problems users encounter with Evernote are due to Evernote being so 'different', still stuck in code of yesteryear, thus hardly using the potential of the latest hardware plus operating systems.

Android and network printers, no problem.

Well, maybe I just don't know how or what to do, but I have the dickens of a time getting anything on my phone to print to my networked HP printer at home. Maybe I should try again sometime; it was so clunky and unlikely to work (and so different among different apps) that I gave up on it pretty completely awhile back.

That said, a save-to-PDF function within Android Evernote would be really good to have, as has been requested here:

and here:

This is an absurd omission. Yes, probably more than a line of code, but sort of a critical feature. 

15 hours ago, iNik said:

This is an absurd omission. Yes, probably more than a line of code, but sort of a critical feature. 

I think how critical it is varies from one user to another. If you have an Android tablet as your main computer, then yes, this could be critical. For me, using Evernote at home on my Windows desktop (where printing is possible, though far from perfect) and on my Android phone while traveling, doing research at libraries, etc., I seldom have any desire to print from the Android app. Occasionally it would be useful, but not critical. I find that the beauty of Evernote is the ability to take notes (not compose chapters of a book or manage a business) on my phone, which I can then manipulate in various ways, including printing, when at my computer. But other people have other uses, and I'm sure that using Evernote in a business or other work situation on a tablet might well require printing. The question is how the Evernote developers understand the main function of their Android app, and how they prioritize needs.

Just highlight the text so the cut/paste menu pops up...  click share... that brings up the standard Android app share options.. I use Google Print. 

Vert easy workaround for a free app.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2018 at 12:06 PM, G_P said:

Just highlight the text so the cut/paste menu pops up...  click share... that brings up the standard Android app share options.. I use Google Print. 

Vert easy workaround for a free app.

Superb! Brilliant! Also, kind of "duh" to the rest of us who didn't think of it! The only downside is that it may only print text, not images. At any rate, that's what happens with HP ePrint on my phone.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:15 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is a good idea, and has been suggested more than once. If you haven't yet, please click the up-arrow at the top of this page to support it.

This is just ridiculous and why I stopped using Evernote about a year ago. I thought I would see if the functionality had improved for Android, nope. Tell me again what the share of Android OS/smartphones is vs. iOS? 

Now that EN works pretty well on Chromebooks, this is an embarrassing omission...