Print a note from Evernote Android

Ernold

Idea

25 replies to this idea

On 3/6/2017 at 3:22 AM, Ernold said:

Make a button in Evernote phone app with txt "Print" and when user clicks that button his/hers wifi printer prints the note.

To not have included a *print* option in the Android version of EN is tantamount to willful ignorance on the part of your program's developers. It's as if they were determined to demonstrate how skillfully they can ply their trade by creating a UI that employs one-single line of code less than what some other team of developers might have created. In reality, all they have done is diminish the value of EN for the entirety of its users on the Android platform. So,  congratulations. Now may we please have the fully functional UI that you should have provided to us from the very-first day that EN launched on Android! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is a good idea, and has been suggested more than once. If you haven't yet, please click the up-arrow at the top of this page to support it.

One further thought, though. Do you know what that one single line of code would be? Me neither. Who knows, maybe it takes more than one line. Maybe printing from Android is not all that simple. It is possible to ask for the app to be improved without making unpleasant assumptions about those who have to do the work.

10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

One further thought, though. Do you know what that one single line of code would be? Me neither. Who knows, maybe it takes more than one line. Maybe printing from Android is not all that simple. It is possible to ask for the app to be improved without making unpleasant assumptions about those who have to do the work.

Well, all I can say that the share and send to functions are supported by many Android apps. I use OneNote quite regularly and through the built-in save to pdf format printing is no problem whatever. I'd be pretty annoyed if I could not use my mobiles with network printers.

Maybe some or even a larger number of problems users encounter with Evernote are due to Evernote being so 'different', still stuck in code of yesteryear, thus hardly using the potential of the latest hardware plus operating systems.

Android and network printers, no problem.

• Level 5

Well, maybe I just don't know how or what to do, but I have the dickens of a time getting anything on my phone to print to my networked HP printer at home. Maybe I should try again sometime; it was so clunky and unlikely to work (and so different among different apps) that I gave up on it pretty completely awhile back.

That said, a save-to-PDF function within Android Evernote would be really good to have, as has been requested here:

and here:

• Level 5
15 hours ago, iNik said:

This is an absurd omission. Yes, probably more than a line of code, but sort of a critical feature. 

I think how critical it is varies from one user to another. If you have an Android tablet as your main computer, then yes, this could be critical. For me, using Evernote at home on my Windows desktop (where printing is possible, though far from perfect) and on my Android phone while traveling, doing research at libraries, etc., I seldom have any desire to print from the Android app. Occasionally it would be useful, but not critical. I find that the beauty of Evernote is the ability to take notes (not compose chapters of a book or manage a business) on my phone, which I can then manipulate in various ways, including printing, when at my computer. But other people have other uses, and I'm sure that using Evernote in a business or other work situation on a tablet might well require printing. The question is how the Evernote developers understand the main function of their Android app, and how they prioritize needs.

Just highlight the text so the cut/paste menu pops up...  click share... that brings up the standard Android app share options.. I use Google Print. 

Vert easy workaround for a free app.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 4/20/2018 at 12:06 PM, G_P said:

Just highlight the text so the cut/paste menu pops up...  click share... that brings up the standard Android app share options.. I use Google Print. 

Vert easy workaround for a free app.

Superb! Brilliant! Also, kind of "duh" to the rest of us who didn't think of it! The only downside is that it may only print text, not images. At any rate, that's what happens with HP ePrint on my phone.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:15 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is a good idea, and has been suggested more than once. If you haven't yet, please click the up-arrow at the top of this page to support it.

This is just ridiculous and why I stopped using Evernote about a year ago. I thought I would see if the functionality had improved for Android, nope. Tell me again what the share of Android OS/smartphones is vs. iOS? 

I see that people have been requesting this for two years. I use my Android phone for just about everything, except things that are just too big to display properly on the phone (like big spreadsheets), and things that the Android versions of apps that I use won't do. I don't like the idea of firing up my laptop just to print a note. Please add printing to the Android app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi, Andrea, and welcome to the forums. Please be sure you've clicked the up arrow at the top of the page to register your vote for this necessary improvement.

One workaround I've just tested successfully: if your printer allows you to email items to it (as at least some HPs do), you can use Evernote's Email Note function to print a note. Tap the Share icon at top right of note, then the 3-dots menu at top right of the Share Note dialog, and select Email copy of note. There's no way to select specific pages, orientation, etc., so it's pretty basic. But it does work.

I'd just like to say that this lack is only more annoying every year. Android Evernote also doesn't work with Android's standard sharing interface at all, which is the way most apps access printing. Seems like Evernote for Android has basically stopped development in any meaningful way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, iNik said:

I'd just like to say that this lack is only more annoying every year. Android Evernote also doesn't work with Android's standard sharing interface at all, which is the way most apps access printing. Seems like Evernote for Android has basically stopped development in any meaningful way. 

The updates to the app for the last year or so have always said, "We came, we saw, we conquered bugs"; but what bugs specifically are never named. And so far, they're never any of the ones I'm aware of and concerned about. So I kind of agree about meaningful development. However, the "Behind the Scenes" videos currently available indicate that both the editor and the underlying structures are undergoing a thorough revision across platforms. I suspect that that's where most of the development energy and money are going. My hope (not substantiated by anything concrete!) is that once that's finished, then stuff like this will get addressed, if it isn't already addressed in the major improvements. My $.02 worth (maybe $.005 after this week in the U.S. stock market).

Android users should be able to PRINT! Evernote really have to add a print option in the Android App. Or an 'export to pdf' as a workaround. 

Why the PRINT function is unique for iPhone / ios users? It's unfair! 

Please vote for a print opportunity for Android. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Here is how in iOS. The Android app is a virtual twin, as far as possible. So this should work:

1. Open the note.
  2. Tap on the 3 dots top right.
  3. Select Print Note from the menu.

Maybe explore the options hosted in the 3 dots menu while you are there. You find a lot of options - avoids asking here and waiting for answers.

Thanks for the reply.  The Android app appears to not be a virtual twin in at least this case, since other Android apps can share a selection to a printer, and generally that was harder for me in iOS with several other apps than it has been since I switched back to Android this year.  "Print Note" does not appear, nor does the ability to share to Android's print service.

Here are screenshots of the "3 dots" menu as well as the result of the "share" menu (which doesn't appear after a "Select All," only after selecting a portion of a note, weirdly) [edit: apparently it's not that clear-cut; sometimes it doesn't appear for a smaller selection even on the same note.].   The "Share" menu is not expandable to choose other destinations (like, say, the print service) via "More..." the way it is with other apps.  "Share note" is a dead end that only allows you to send it as a cloud share or an email.  (And the 3-dot at the right of the selection bar only allows search or translate.)

[Update: I've played around a bit more, trying to print in apps that I usually don't, and it appears to be a choice made by the app designers to use a particular style or type of Share menu...? Anyway, there are other apps that will block my pinned "Print" choice in the Share menu as well.  So Evernote probably could fix this, if it didn't interfere with another requirement.]

I'm perfectly willing to believe there's a configuration or permissions issue blocking a feature for me (super-common in Android, and a complete pain to diagnose let alone test for), but the simplest and most useful thing Evernote could do would be to add "Print Note" as an option in Android. It's a pain point that, along with the loss of features in the recent Windows app (mainly loss of forced sync), has me exploring other options after using Evernote every day for over a decade.

TMP.84ba3cfb-2dbd-41d4-a197-623243d97a8d.Screenshot_20211223-231102.png

TMP.aaf59c20-2b89-4756-8562-3fc0b37ab01f.Screenshot_20211223-231430.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is one difference in the list of actions between iOS and Android: Where it says "Print note" in iOS, it says "Add note to device home screen" in Android.

No idea why, maybe because all iOS devices share the AirPrint ability implemented in the OS level. EN does not need to code it themselves.

So it seems out of luck with Android on this (sorry for that, even if we all want to go paperless, sometimes a print is what does a job for us).

Maybe use the feedback function build into the client, or issue a support ticket to communicate with EN.

• Sad 1

Not having ability to print is so 1970's. All other document and photo apps have this capability. Evernote is becoming less necessary as I have other similar apps that serve the same purpose, but I can print from them. Time to invest Finances elsewhere.