* Limit 100,000 Tag´s - it seems extensive but not ...
* Limit 100,000 notes - the same way ..
* Limit 250MB for notes  - In the same way ..
* Limit of 250 books - In the same way ..

• if the use is intense with constant use of Tag´s with resources tasks / schedules and proper controls, content management, contacts, shares and other components limits are insufficient. The cool it is to rely on a tool that does not limit that to extrapolate and innovate always - use without limits
  • It seems extensive but may well be hit and cause many problems for the user. If a user has intention of registering all customers, suppliers, subscribers, and explore it well with several labels and notes, the limits are insufficient.

>>> I do not understand why, just create conditions to free up more if there are needs with alternative plans <<<

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Kzin said:

* Limit 250MB for notes .... - In the same way ..
* Limit of 25 books ... - In the same way ..

>>> I do not understand why, just create conditions to free up more if there are needs with alternative plans <<<

In regards to max size limits, I can understand that it costs money to transmit and store data.  I can understand Evernote wishing to keep this to a reasonable number.  They tried unlimited however it was abused by some of the users.

16 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

In regards to max size limits, I can understand that it costs money to transmit and store data.  I can understand Evernote wishing to keep this to a reasonable number.  They tried unlimited however it was abused by some of the users.

but this is not the case. It is very simple to solve: just to create new forms of alternative plans to use beyond limits, so Evernote receive $ to implement. Simple, obvious and necessary!

It's 250 notebooks... Not 25.

Also, the 100,000 tag limit means that you can have 100,000 different types of tags. So the limit on the total amount of tags is 100,000 X 100,000. That is if you tag the maximum number of notes with the maximum amount of tags. 

I'm not sure what the limit is on how many tags you can have per note... But I don't imagine that the 100,000 tag limit would ever be an issue. 

Also, I think the note size limit is reasonable. 25 MB is decent for Basic (free) accounts. The note size limit for Plus and Premium is more than enough to work with. For the rare file larger than 250 MB, there's Dropbox (or other suitable services). If really large files is the norm in your industry, Evernote is not your tool for those particular files. 

The 250 notebook limit can be overcome by the use of tags. Plenty of info. on that in the forums.

The one possible issue that might really be worth splitting hairs about is the 100,000 note limit. Although I don't know of anyone who's come up against that limit yet, it is most definitely an issue for 10 years down the line for most - if we had to project. In that case, if Evernote were still around and thriving, I'm positive they would change the limits up based on the needs of the majority of the  user base. 

In a nutshell, I think the only reasonable complaint would be about the number of notes... AND along with that, Evernote's difficulty in dealing with "very" large account sizes - which is a far greater issue currently than the note limit.

*** What would be more interesting to talk about is how the current limits are affecting you currently...  or whether those limits are just paper tigers. In both cases, we might discuss workarounds, strategies or alternatives.

• Level 5*

I have it in my head that it's 100 tags per note,  but I can't confirm that.  Wouldn't like to manage any system with more than about 10 tags per note any way - too hard to manage a consistent system.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Wouldn't like to manage any system with more than about 10 tags per note

It would be quite stressful obliging myself to think of/ remember 10 synonyms and/ or nested, hierarchical categories for any note. Might as well just use Evernote's search :lol:

• Level 5
15 hours ago, Kzin said:

but this is not the case. It is very simple to solve: just to create new forms of alternative plans to use beyond limits, so Evernote receive $ to implement. Simple, obvious and necessary!

Here is what the former Evernote CEO said a few years ago: "Our goal is to be the permanent, trusted and ubiquitous place for all your lifetime memories. We're committed to making Evernote fit into every part of that life - school, work, family, hobbies, etc. The focus will always be on you, the person experiencing that life, not on your friends, or your teachers, or your boss. There's already enough stuff that focuses on those."

I've seen other companies try to address the mega-database (ERP / MRP) marketplace. Their fees are outrageously high. SAP, Oracle, SalesForce. One software I used to use in my business increased their annual "maintenance" fees by 10X when they decided to make the big jump. 

I certainly hope Evernote continues to stay focused with their current customers and not make the leap to mega-database standards.

1 hora atrás, jbenson2 disse:

Here is what the former Evernote CEO said a few years ago: "Our goal is to be the permanent, trusted and ubiquitous place for all your lifetime memories. We're committed to making Evernote fit into every part of that life - school, work, family, hobbies, etc. The focus will always be on you, the person experiencing that life, not on your friends, or your teachers, or your boss. There's already enough stuff that focuses on those."

I've seen other companies try to address the mega-database (ERP / MRP) marketplace. Their fees are outrageously high. SAP, Oracle, SalesForce. One software I used to use in my business increased their annual "maintenance" fees by 10X when they decided to make the big jump. 

I certainly hope Evernote continues to stay focused with their current customers and not make the leap to mega-database standards.

productivity tool and content management should worry about the Big Data (extracting volume range, speed and value of the avalanche of daily information). This is not to impose but to respect users who require higher limits to enable effective development.
There is no convincing explanation for limits. It is as I mentioned, just adapt plans for those who need more.

2 horas atrás, Frank.dg disse:

OK... so for the imaginary and/ or hardcore tagger, that would be 100 X 100,000 tags in total. I think that sounds about enough ;-)

Hi. I know how I can simplify use of the tags ...
The constant use of TAG`S is to create instances of TAG for all suppliers, associates, employees, subscritóries and yet for all issue record.
For example, if it were possible to increase limits would to manage campaigns, issue management, care systems among many others. I agree that the biggest problem is the limit of notes.
But the question is well focused, why not open packages / alternative plans?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Kzin said:

productivity tool and content management should worry about the Big Data (extracting volume range, speed and value of the avalanche of daily information). This is not to impose but to respect users who require higher limits to enable effective development.
There is no convincing explanation for limits. It is as I mentioned, just adapt plans for those who need more.

Just my opinion but I can't see many users opting for this.  Most users are satisfied with the limits of the basic plan.

If I had a large file that I needed referenced in a note, I would use a file link.
I wouldn't want my Evernote platforms (Mac/iPad) to have this overhead.
Large files are better handled by file management services.

As @Gazumped said, the only limit that bothers me is the 100,000 note limit, but I'm a long way from hitting that.

3 horas atrás, gazumped disse:

I have it in my head that it's 100 tags per note,  but I can't confirm that.  Wouldn't like to manage any system with more than about 10 tags per note any way - too hard to manage a consistent system.

Register all issues with all reference and activities in advance. Thus are insufficient limits

11 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

Just my opinion but I can't see many users opting for this.  Most users are satisfied with the limits of the basic plan.

If I had a large file that I needed referenced in a note, I would use a file link.
I wouldn't want my Evernote platforms (Mac/iPad) to have this overhead.
Large files are better handled by file management services.

As @Gazumped said, the only limit that bothers me is the 100,000 note limit, but I'm a long way from hitting that.

In the current situation, I leave to use many notes to tasks and having to use tasks checklists, this is not good in my opinion.
If you use notes for appointments and tasks quickly arrive at 100,000 - and this is use restriction

2 horas atrás, Frank.dg disse:

It would be quite stressful obliging myself to think of/ remember 10 synonyms and/ or nested, hierarchical categories for any note. Might as well just use Evernote's search :lol:

Many notes with TAG´s, not necessarily 100 TAG´s for notes. Think of campaigns, issue managemente (help and learning and others),  records and etc ... I know it's a little idea to introduce database system, but so what? It may well be  possible and practical in Evernote :lol:

• Level 5*

Well if you take the workweek and have eight appointments a day and add eight tasks a day you will use 4,160 notes a year, 16 x 5 x 52.  So some room inside those parameters. 

IAC, 100k note limit seems somewhat arbitrary when you compare it to the 10GB upload limit per month.  Sort of out of sync, IMO.

• Level 5*

That's 100,000 notes per account - when you get near that you could archive older information either by exporting to ENEX files (which can be re-imported in case of need,  but are no longer actively searchable),  or you could set up another (free) account to re-import archived notes where they remain accessible.

No argument that 100,000 notes is a limit - it may even be lower than this if performance of the app deteriorates with larger databases - but that's the current situation.  If you keep paper records there's always a limit on the space you have available to store them,  and sooner or later you would have to find a way to make room for more which might involve off-site storage or using a different system. 

Evernote will probably review the note total when a number of users start getting close,  but it's probably low on their priorities right now.  They don't (usually) share intentions,  so a higher number could be announced tomorrow.

5 minutos atrás, gazumped disse:

That's 100,000 notes per account - when you get near that you could archive older information either by exporting to ENEX files (which can be re-imported in case of need,  but are no longer actively searchable),  or you could set up another (free) account to re-import archived notes where they remain accessible.

No argument that 100,000 notes is a limit - it may even be lower than this if performance of the app deteriorates with larger databases - but that's the current situation.  If you keep paper records there's always a limit on the space you have available to store them,  and sooner or later you would have to find a way to make room for more which might involve off-site storage or using a different system. 

Evernote will probably review the note total when a number of users start getting close,  but it's probably low on their priorities right now.  They don't (usually) share intentions,  so a higher number could be announced tomorrow.

Could already activate new plans, much better! Intelligent system is one that allows various forms of use and not limited. I do not find interesting export files and may put back into another access/account. I think it must be component access all content. But that's it :)

22 minutos atrás, csihilling disse:

Well if you take the workweek and have eight appointments a day and add eight tasks a day you will use 4,160 notes a year, 16 x 5 x 52.  So some room inside those parameters. 

IAC, 100k note limit seems somewhat arbitrary when you compare it to the 10GB upload limit per month.  Sort of out of sync, IMO.

26 minutos atrás, csihilling disse:

working with tasks for notes:
> 20 service working day
> 15 tasks per day
> All contacts involved registered and related tasks and work calls

*The ideal is to work with tasks and notes no checklist (remember that)

There is fast extrapolates
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Kzin said:

> 20 service working day
> 15 tasks per day

Maybe you could use the Business tier
You still have a 250MB note size limit but note limit is

100,000 personal + 500,000 business (Business)

34 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

Maybe you could use the Business tier
You still have a 250MB note size limit but note limit is

100,000 personal + 500,000 business (Business)

But I have no need for Business use. I really wanted was to continue with the Premium and add more features / limits. But thanks!

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

1 hour ago, Kzin said:

Register all issues with all reference and activities in advance. Thus are insufficient limits

I'd love to see someone come up against their 100,000-tag limit. That's 100,000 unique tags...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kzin said:

> 20 service working day
> 15 tasks per day

*The ideal is to work with tasks and notes no checklist (remember that)

There is fast extrapolates

Yeah, 9,100 per year plus contacts, if that's all you enter into EN.  Faster but still 5 to 10 years before you hit the cap in all likelihood.  Still, I'm with you, a higher note limit for your use case would be beneficial..

8 minutos atrás, csihilling disse:

Yeah, 9,100 per year plus contacts, if that's all you enter into EN.  Faster but still 5 to 10 years before you hit the cap in all likelihood.  Still, I'm with you, a higher note limit for your use case would be beneficial..

1,5 to 2 there are issues and content management (research, materials, etc ...)

1 hour ago, Kzin said:

unexpected can happen

When you are ready to create your 100,001st UNIQUE tag, please report back here. I'll pay for a year's Premium Evernote subscription for you on a  2nd account. 

1 hora atrás, Frank.dg disse:

When you are ready to create your 100,001st UNIQUE tag, please report back here. I'll pay for a year's Premium Evernote subscription for you on a  2nd account. 

You're not thinking correctly. Ex: a club has 112,000 members, you need to do a campaign or marketing program. So how to operationalize notes and Tag´s in Evernote ???  records, issues, awards, control etc... :)

Can I import list, I do not know if you know

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Kzin said:

Can I import list

If it was me, I'd write an AppleScript and import the tag list.  It wouldn't take much work, and would run quickly.

I wouldn't think simple tags would add too much processing overhead.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Kzin said:

You're not thinking correctly. Ex: a club has 112,000 members, you need to do a campaign or marketing program. So how to operationalize notes and Tag´s in Evernote ???  records, issues, awards, control etc... :)

Not sure that I would try and use EN as a campaign management tool.  Maybe a place to keep the materials but not so much the members  Distribution would be a PITA, IMO.  You can solve a lot of needs with EN, but not all.

6 hours ago, Kzin said:

Well... you're welcome to try. My offer still stands :-)

• Level 5*
On 4/5/2016 at 4:33 PM, Kzin said:

* Limit 250MB for notes  - In the same way ..
* Limit of 250 books - In the same way ..

• if the use is intense with constant use of Tag´s with resources tasks / schedules and proper controls, content management, contacts, shares and other components limits are insufficient. The cool it is to rely on a tool that does not limit that to extrapolate and innovate always - use without limits
  • It seems extensive but may well be hit and cause many problems for the user. If a user has intention of registering all customers, suppliers, subscribers, and explore it well with several labels and notes, the limits are insufficient.

Well, let's see.  How much does Evernote cost?

• Premium:  ~$50/year
  • Business: ~ $60/year/person

If you have ever worked in a big, enterprise-size business, you know that serious, high-powered, high-capacity database systems cost serious dollars.
I'm talking about $Millions to implement, and $100s of thousands annually to run/maintain.
Yes, there are much cheaper systems available, but even the cheapest of these easily cost thousands to implement and maintain.

Software is made for a variety of users, from single-user consumers to world-wide corporate enterprises,
If you haven't figured it out yet, let me clue you in:  Evernote is on the bottom of this scale.
Evernote was designed and built to be used by 1 person.  The "Business" version is mostly a marketing add-on, with no real change in system architecture.

There are databases that can hold trillions of records, and process millions of records per second.

• SQLite is NOT one of them and never will be.  That is NOT what it was designed for.
  • Evernote is NOT one of them and never will be.  That is NOT what it was designed for.

@Kzin, I don't know what your real use case is, but if it is real, and you need anything north of 50,000 notes or 10,000 tags, then you need not waste your time with Evernote.

9 horas atrás, JMichaelTX disse:

Well, let's see.  How much does Evernote cost?

• Premium:  ~$50/year
  • Business: ~ $60/year/person

If you have ever worked in a big, enterprise-size business, you know that serious, high-powered, high-capacity database systems cost serious dollars.
I'm talking about $Millions to implement, and $100s of thousands annually to run/maintain.
Yes, there are much cheaper systems available, but even the cheapest of these easily cost thousands to implement and maintain.

Software is made for a variety of users, from single-user consumers to world-wide corporate enterprises,
If you haven't figured it out yet, let me clue you in:  Evernote is on the bottom of this scale.
Evernote was designed and built to be used by 1 person.  The "Business" version is mostly a marketing add-on, with no real change in system architecture.

There are databases that can hold trillions of records, and process millions of records per second.

• SQLite is NOT one of them and never will be.  That is NOT what it was designed for.
  • Evernote is NOT one of them and never will be.  That is NOT what it was designed for.

@Kzin,

The key principle is that I would like to have more space paying. Evernnote would receive. All the data architecture planning continue normal. It is to join two accounts in access. Think of the use and little space is a rational exercise:

fundamental concepts:

>The best way to control the agenda is making individual notes and not by the list of tasks / checklists.

>notes have relationships with other notes and therefore generate more and more notes.
    >
the concept of folksonomy, TAG´s  should be used to sort events, contacts, issues, records, objects, tasks, etc .. - Dynamic and Flexible (extensive use for better organization and traceability)

problem situation:

Evernote is not ready for the BIG DATA, which are effective and consistent long-term ways to extract: volume, variety, speed and value of the flood of daily information

analysis:

a professional serves 36 people a day, all these services with the note on the task, with the necessary (client / patient, kind, context, etc ..) label. It is important to know that each client / patient should have a note of registration with personal data and a reference service tasks notes and records is done. For each service must have a note with the report (also be related to the registration of the person). It is good that the client and patients always have questions / issue (disagreements, questions, suggestions) - for each event should be a note and, of course, refers to the registration of the client / patient.
good:
36x23 = 828 (attendances) - 828 notes Task
36x23 = 828 (Attendance Reports) - 828 notes / reports
1800 (new contacts, disagreements, questions, suggestions)
= 3456 notes per month an average of 5 / Tag´s per note: 17280
* You can still increase referencial notes and materials labels / learning
round 4000 with 20,000 tags and notes month

that is:
2 years limits are insufficient

conclusion

>>> Only create the conditions to release more if needs with alternative plans <<<

13 horas atrás, Frank.dg disse:

Well... you're welcome to try. My offer still stands :-)

You have already lost.:)
Now seriously, I moved a cause very useful for everyone. 100,000 notes is very obvious that it is finite. Imagine having the unpleasant situation of having to paralyze range limits ... By now optimistic scenario: Evernote creates alternative plans, receive and users use without fear and the way they see fit. Help me out here, I need to mobilize people for the cause

you do not think you can charge for use beyond the limits? the inclusion of alternative plans
for + x Tag´s  = $
for + x Notes = $
for + x books = $

36 minutos atrás, Kzin disse:

You have already lost.:)
Now seriously, I moved a cause very useful for everyone. 100,000 notes is very obvious that it is finite. Imagine having the unpleasant situation of having to paralyze range limits ... By now optimistic scenario: Evernote creates alternative plans, receive and users use without fear and the way they see fit. Help me out here, I need to mobilize people for the cause

16 horas atrás, csihilling disse:

Not sure that I would try and use EN as a campaign management tool.  Maybe a place to keep the materials but not so much the members  Distribution would be a PITA, IMO.  You can solve a lot of needs with EN, but not all.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Kzin said:

problem situation:

Evernote is not ready for the BIG DATA, which are effective and consistent long-term ways to extract: volume, variety, speed and value of the flood of daily information

Sí, tienes razón

But... You are barking up the wrong tree. Give SAP or Oracle a call. I am sure they would love to help you. I can assure you they will offer you more space paying.

7 minutos atrás, jbenson2 disse:

Sí, tienes razón

But... You are barking up the wrong tree. Give SAP or Oracle a call. I am sure they would love to help you. 

31 minutos atrás, Kzin disse:

you do not think you can charge for use beyond the limits? the inclusion of alternative plans
for + x Tag´s  = $
for + x Notes = $
for + x books = $

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Kzin said:

you do not think you can charge for use beyond the limits?

That is correct. If Evernote starts charging for quantities of Tags, and Notes, and Notebooks, you can say adiós to thousand of customers. Evernote is designed for individual users. The current customers do not have the deep financial pockets that huge corporations have, such as Banco Santander, Telefónica, Repsol YPF, BBVA or Iberdrola.

4 minutos atrás, jbenson2 disse:

That is correct. If Evernote starts charging for quantities of Tags, and Notes, and Notebooks, you can say adiós to thousand of customers. Evernote is designed for individual users. The current customers do not have the deep financial pockets that huge corporations have, such as Banco Santander, Telefónica, Repsol YPF, BBVA or Iberdrola.

I prefer to think that change will innovate, bring more opportunities, open more windows and achieve satisfactory results

5 hours ago, Kzin said:

I need to mobilize people for the cause

One man against the world...

I don't think many Evernote users quite care for higher limits than Premium already gives us. You'll have a tough time trying to mobilize people if they're mostly satisfied with those limits. Your time might be better spent pushing Evernote's buttons on their performance with large account sizes.

Anyways... Note limits, as I have speculated above, will likely increase in the next 10 years anyways...

• Level 5*

More complexity with billing leads to higher costs leads to users (like me) losing out. 

Can't see a single possible reason why any of this makes any sense at all....

• Level 5*

Does anyone have an idea of the impact of volume vs performance?

I'm at 7000notes/3GB and have no issues (Mac and IPad) but would anticipate problems at some point. Big data is better handled by client-server technology.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I've seen numerous reports that once an account has more than ~30K notes it begins to suffer performance problems.  OTOH, there are some users who have gone above this level without any issues.  So, it is not clear.  I would expect the content of the notes to be a significant factor.

Here is a thread started in 2014 that is very large, but has numerous reports of performance issues.  Feel free to mine this thread if you have the time and interest:

ALTERNATIVES TO EN DISCUSSION

Evernote has been silent on this issue.  

The Evernote System Limits article states that you can have up to:

• 100,000 Notes (Personal accounts)
  • 500,000 Notes (Business accounts)
  • 100,000 Tags
  • 250 Notebooks
  • 200 MB/Note (Premium accounts)

That is a lot of data.  But it is not clear whether or not Evernote has ever actually tested an account to see if it will support these levels with acceptable performance.

What say you, Evernote?

• Level 5
9 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote has been silent on this issue.

I fully agree! I have never seen any supporting information from Evernote to validate their 100,000 note limit.  Just crickets.

If Evernote says the Premium version can handle 100,000 notes, what type of notes were used in their test?

Did they test by using short ASCII-only notes? or a variety of real-word data formats, including DOC's, PDF's and JPG's?

Are there any Evernote users who have successfully run a single non-business Evernote account with 80,000 notes.

• Level 5*

Also, from a purely architectural point of view - Evernote is a terrible place for 'big data'.

Pick the right tool for the right job....If you are an edge case that believes you need more than 100k tags, then you are probably not using the right tool if you have chosen Evernote.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm at 7000notes/3GB and have no issues (Mac and IPad) but would anticipate problems at some point. Big data is better handled by client-server technology.

I believe the only users that have reported scaling issues have been Windows users and it is speculated that it is due to the database differences between the two platforms.  I'm a Windows user that had performance problems but mitigated those by switching to an SSD.  This has worked for many but not all.  The new Windows beta supposedly addresses large database performance but since I'm no longer having trouble, I can't tell if there has been an improvement or not.  It would be interesting to hear how the beta is performing from someone who has been experiencing the problem.

• Level 5

I mentioned in a previous post, Evernote will never agree that the limit solution is to replace existing hard drives with SSD's.

Why is Evernote silent about this limit issue?

Have they actually tested their program with 100,000 notes? or is this limit an internal arbitrary decision?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Why is Evernote silent about this limit issue?

Have they actually tested their program with 100,000 notes? or is this limit an internal arbitrary decision?

I don't feel the need for Evernote to explain anything further other than specifying a limit.

Yes, I think it is somewhat arbitrary; 100,000 for personal 500,000 for business.
However this is necessary because there are always users that will abuse a service.

Regardless of the posted numbers, I think I'm bound by my device limits.

• Level 5
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't feel the need for Evernote to explain anything further other than specifying a limit.

The reason I (and others) bring this issue up is that we have seen Evernote users hit the wall at 30,000, 50,000 and 60,000 notes

When I ran into the problem, I contacted Evernote support and they finally had to recommend I purchase a 2nd account and move half my notes to the other account. My current solution is to stay below 30,000 notes/account and use other software programs to share the load. This defeats the 2nd brain concept promoted by Evernote. Other regular users who had this limit problem have completely disappeared from this forum.

If there is no problem, I would expect there are several power users who have approached 80,000+ notes. That knowledge would give me a bit more confidence in the program, than the silence from Evernote.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jbenson2 said:

The reason I (and others) bring this issue up is that we have seen Evernote users hit the wall at 30,000, 50,000 and 60,000 notes

Which device?  I'm thinking the Web platform could handle this better than my phone.

• Level 5
48 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Which device?  I'm thinking the Web platform could handle this better than my phone.

Each person who ran into the Limit Wall was using a full-blown Windows desktop / laptop machine. The phone app was not the problem.

I would never use the web client with the current user interface.

Archived