Cannot Delete Note

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I am unable to delete a note. It is 45.3MB, and when I try to delete it or even edit it in any way, I get prompted to upgrade in order to sync larger notes. I don't want to sync it, I want to delete it, but I can't seem to find anywhere to turn off syncing. I'm not sure if there is a setting that I am missing, or what. In the Sync tab in Options I have all of the boxes unchecked, so it shouldn't be syncing in the first place. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, NephFirefly said:

I am unable to delete a note. It is 45.3MB, and when I try to delete it or even edit it in any way, I get prompted to upgrade in order to sync larger notes.

Would editing work to make it a smaller note?

• Level 5*

Okay, two more ideas, haven't seen this one before. 

1. Try logging into the web version to see if the note was synced at one time.  If it is there try and delete it from the web.
  2. Disconnect from the internet and then try to move or delete it. 

If this works, realize that deleting the note does not effect the amount of upload you have used to date.  If you are over limit your upload won't reset until your cycle date.

• Level 5*
  • Solution

The system limits for Evernote confirm note size limits of 25MB (Basic) 50MB (Plus) and 200MB (Premium and Business) so if your 45MB note is 'too large',  it appears you have a basic account and that note must somehow have flown past the 25MB limit without a tremor.  In addition to the other suggestions here,  I'd propose that if you check your account after logging in here and find that you don't have that note,  you should sign out of Evernote on your desktop and then sign back in again to see if that makes any difference.  If not,  it appears that the local database (or at least that note) is corrupt.

1. Go to your Databases folder (Evernote > Tools > Options > General for the location)
  2. Export any Local Notes you may have to ENEX files,  one per notebook and then sign out of Evernote again.
  3. Rename the Databases folder to Databases.Old and log back into Evernote
  4. Check for that note again!

Good luck - let us know what happens...

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The system limits for Evernote confirm note size limits of 25MB (Basic) 50MB (Plus) and 200MB (Premium and Business) so if your 45MB note is 'too large',  it appears you have a basic account and that note must somehow have flown past the 25MB limit without a tremor.  In addition to the other suggestions here,  I'd propose that if you check your account after logging in here and find that you don't have that note,  you should sign out of Evernote on your desktop and then sign back in again to see if that makes any difference.  If not,  it appears that the local database (or at least that note) is corrupt.

1. Go to your Databases folder (Evernote > Tools > Options > General for the location)
  2. Export any Local Notes you may have to ENEX files,  one per notebook and then sign out of Evernote again.

This worked! Thank you, everyone!

4 hours ago, csihilling said:

Okay, two more ideas, haven't seen this one before. 

1. Try logging into the web version to see if the note was synced at one time.  If it is there try and delete it from the web.
  2. Disconnect from the internet and then try to move or delete it. 

If this works, realize that deleting the note does not effect the amount of upload you have used to date.  If you are over limit your upload won't reset until your cycle date.

Thank you for your help! I deleted it from the web, then followed the steps below, and it seems to have worked. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 3/1/2016 at 10:55 AM, gazumped said:

Thanks so much! I was searching everywhere for an answer, and this worked. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I had the same issue just now. Used to have a paid account and moved to free. Could NOT delete from the client on my windows machine. Did it through the website and that allowed me to delete. 

• 3 years later...

I am having the issue initially described in this thread under Windows:

• I have a note that shows in the preview pane
  • It cannot be opened
  • Right clicking does not show any menu
  • Highlighting the note in the preview pane does not allow me to see any options under the "Note" drop down
  • I cannot merge it
  • I cannot move it to the trash
  • I cannot move it to a folder and delete the folder.

This note is far too attached to me...I would like to figure out how to begin separation proceedings. ;)

I am an Evernote Personal user and the problem is the same in the Legacy app and the 10.19.2-win-ddl-public (2852).  I did read the thread btw,  just failed to share this info.

btw.  Doesn't it show under my name to the left what my subscription plan is?

OK.  I will open up a ticket.

About the account status instructions.  As I said in my reply I updated the original post 7 hours ago which states "I am an Evernote Personal user".  You're right, reading the thread before posting is a good idea.

• Like 1