Multiple instances

DanGav

Idea

9 replies to this idea

What difficulties are you experiencing with mass/ bulk moving of notes? I'm trying to figure out why you might need multiple instances of Evernote for filing. Could you give an example?

Usually multi-selecting notes in the note list, one is able to bulk tag them and/ or move them to a specific notebook. This can be done in the dialog box after selecting your notes... or you can drag your selection to a notebook and/ or tag in the left panel. 

Having multiple instances of Evernote open would be like having 2 brains at our disposal when we've barely used the capacity of one.

I think that a couple of the 3rd-party Linux clients have this ability to open multiple instances. I don't think this is possible on Windows or Mac.

DanGav - One of the great benefits that Evernote provides is that it puts all your information in one place. - - - I think a person needs a really, really good reason to put information in 2 Evernote databases - - - and even if you've got one, I think you would be better off using Evernote's ability to "share" Notebooks and/or Notes amongst more than 1 Evernote database.

If you are trying to take ownership of some Notebooks and/or Notes from some other person who no longer wants the information (and there is a lot), then consider having the person "Export" the information, send the information to you, and you "Import" it.

I hope this response addresses the specifics of your needs.

Resurrecting this because I am actually looking to do the same thing! In reading through the OP, I *think* @DanGav might be wanting to run two views of the same database/account. This is something I do in Excel quite frequently using View > New Window which allows me to work on two different tabs in the same workbook at the same time. I truly only have one copy of the file open but I can see it in two different places, usually one on the left monitor and one on the right monitor. This way I can reference data on Tab A while updating data in Tab B without having to bounce back and forth between two tabs; I can see both at the same time. Any change I make in either window changes the same cell in BOTH views because there is really only one file. Why this would be helpful for me in EN is because I'm updating quite a large number of notes to fit a standard naming and tagging convention that I use. Some of these conventions I don't use that frequently so I find it helpful to refer to older notes that already have the naming convention I want to mimic. To make things easier I have all the notes I need to work on isolated into one tag. I want to be able to view all the notes that need to be updated on the right monitor and then use the left monitor to search for/look at all my old/correctly named and tagged notes for reference. Right now I have to dump out of my "working" tag to find an old reference note, open that note up in a new window or quick remember the naming/tagging convention I used, then go back to my working tag and find the note I was working on and update it, etc., etc., multiple times. Having all my working stuff on the right and then my reference stuff on the left would be much faster. I still want whatever changes I make, whether on the left or right window, to update to the same EN account/database. 

Hope this makes sense! Just wanted to give a use case for why someone might be looking for this functionality. 

en two views.png

• Level 5*

If this is two views of the same note,  or a view of a note list plus a note content,  can't you use the installed app,  a popped out note and a web view to have up to three views of the same account at the same time?  Edited notes have a nasty tendency to revert back to the top of the text after a change,  but maybe it will work enough for your purpose?

Freyja313 is correct.  From memory what I wanted (and still want) to be able to do is view the contents of two notebooks in one account at once.  The background/use case for this is for doing a GTD Weekly Review.

I have considered using the web + windows app together.  Cumbersome (and requires a connection, I use offline NBs quite a bit) but yes it'd achieve that end.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:30 PM, DanGav said:

Freyja313 is correct.  From memory what I wanted (and still want) to be able to do is view the contents of two notebooks in one account at once.  The background/use case for this is for doing a GTD Weekly Review.

I have considered using the web + windows app together.  Cumbersome (and requires a connection, I use offline NBs quite a bit) but yes it'd achieve that end.

I want to do the same thing, but for a different use case. I use one notebook just for song chords and another notebook for everything else. I want to be able to open those two notebooks seperately like i would with seperate applications (so that i could use different keyboard shortcuts to open just one of the notebooks at a time).

So is this possible now? Or will be possible in the future?

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, danklim said:

So is this possible now?

No change;
- no “multiple instances solution” at present on the client software platforms
- I can run multiple instances on the web platform 

Not clear on your use case; “so that i could use different keyboard shortcuts to open just one of the notebooks at a time”

A possible solution is a third party product.  
For example I can run Alternote and Evernote at the same time on my Mac

>>Or will be possible in the future?

I see a potential problem with conflicting changes
For example you're updating the same note in both instances

I noticed other people wanted this - but no one is upvoting it... so upvoted it to 1 

My use case for multiple main windows, on the same database, is that I run multiple desktops with different "tasks" in each, where I'll be doing different things in Evernote on each (this is more than just opening another note, although that might work in many cases).

The Web solution will sometimes work, but if I'm offline, or the databases are local only, then this doesn't work.

It's probably not my most important feature request, but  it is a nice to have.  At the very least, if when you try to open Evernote, and it's open on another desktop, it should switch to that desktop/open window (so I don't have to go hunting for it, lol).

Archived