Touch Screen Frustration

garygiles63

Idea

HI

I have using and been very happy with Evernotes for many years.

But now I am using touch screens more and more, I am finding Evernotes frustrating to use. My biggest problem is trying to scroll up and down the notebooks. Every time I do this I end up moving notebooks into another notebook.

Sorry if I have missed a preference fix for this, i.e a tick box that makes evernotes touch screen friendly.

If I haven't missed anything, will someone please get on top of this and fix it. Basically I cant use Evernotes on a touch screen, its just to frustrating and I'm spending to much time trying to find lost notebooks.

I hope there is a fix for this.

Look forward to hearing reply's.

Regards

Gary

24 replies to this idea

I agree with the original poster above--this feature needs to be added.  I, too, keep trying to scroll up and down the folder/tag list, and it wants to drag folders to different places, which is very frustrating.  The Windows 8 applet was touch enabled, but just didn't allow for easy navigation.  When will touch functionality be added?  Based on the comments above, I don't even want to try TouchMe.

• Level 5*
On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎23 at 10:37 PM, Jo_Ever said:

+1

can not believe that a company as big and successful as Evernote ignores all Windows touch users for many years!!

I reached a point after years, where I have to think about cancelling my subscription exactly because Evernote ignores that people have hands and fingers and that we have tons of Windows touch screen devices out there!

Touch scrolling inside the note was added to the beta for the next release back in October, so it's on its way. Still no support yet for scrolling in the notebook list though.

+1

can not believe that a company as big and successful as Evernote ignores all Windows touch users for many years!!

I reached a point after years, where I have to think about cancelling my subscription exactly because Evernote ignores that people have hands and fingers and that we have tons of Windows touch screen devices out there!

C'mon Evernote...  There are a gazillion touchscreen laptops out there now.  It's time to support "touch".  With every other app on my Windows 10 laptop I can reach up and scroll through a window except with Evernote.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Irondave said:

Hi just picked up my awesome surface pro and I am surprised that the touch screen interface doesn't work with evernote. would love to know if it is going to be addressed . 

Evernote don't usually comment on plans or work in progress.  As Microsoft's strategy with the Surface now seems pretty clear I'd think they will do their best to support it - and all other touch screen users - with better 'mouse free' options...

Thought I would briefly "bump" this.

I recently got a Yoga 900 touch screen computer.  I'm loving the touchscreen.  And, I think Evernote (like it is on my Android Tablet) could combine with this to make one heck of a tool.  But the touch to scroll issues are always a "gotcha!", even though scrolling (in Chome, in Word) work fine.

Hope this can come to fruition.  

I just want to be able to take my finger and flick the page up or down to scroll up/down a page or slide it along as I read.

Yes, exactly. That is how I interact with every other app on my computer, and to not be able to do that with Evernote is just ridiculous. 

It's pretty frustrating to see updates come along for less significant issues while this one has been hanging around for a long time - and it's not for lack of people requesting it. I just want to be able to take my finger and flick the page up or down to scroll up/down a page or slide it along as I read.

I've been playing around with MS OneNote 2013 as an alternative. I know that's not an option for everyone, and it's not free/cheap, but I got the Office suite through my company, so I already had it there. Not too bad so far, but the UI is quite a bit different. The Android app has come a long way - it was pretty sad when it first came out.

I'm getting feeling evernote is giving up on Windows. The whole interface is becoming a mess. I'm finding myself actually avoiding using it now as the touch screen experience is so frustrating. I'm tired of loosing files. Is stopped recommending to others it's just to embarrassing. If they want an example of how it should work, take a look at Outlook. The layout and interface are very similar. Has anyone found an alternative to Evernote?

I have the same issue.  I can confirm that I can get the 2 finger scrolling to work on the SP3 but it is very awkward.  I can get the behavior that I want/expect in presentation mode that of course means that I can't edit it.  I also can't snap it to one side of the screen so I can work with my notes and another application as I do often. I would try the Evermore Touch application but it is so unkempt that it really isn't an option and I don't need to have the notes downloaded to my computer twice. 

Hmm, okay, I'll give that a try. So, sort of "hold" the screen with one finger and scroll with the other? Okay, that might work, I'll try it and report back.

I did install and try TouchMe today, but it didn't play nice with my Yoga 2 Pro on Windows 10. Looks like the dev is working out the bugs though so I'm sure it'll be fully functional soon and I'll give it another go at that point.

Here's hoping that Evernote fixes their Windows app soon and we won't have to resort to work-around's!

Cheers,

Jenn

There is weird workaround that kind of works on my Surface Pro 3: you have to put 2 fingers down, but do so vertically, not horizontally (like you would with normal 2 finger scrolling). Then keep your top finger stationary and move your bottom finger up or down (kind of like a vertical half pinch) and it will scroll. It will scroll in the wrong direction relative no normal touch scrolling, but it does seem to work. But it's awkward.

Also, I've found it's somewhere from extremely difficult to impossible to grab the scrollbars using touch so that's not an option either.

Hopefully they will update the client to support hiDPI screens and touch in the not to distant future or make a Windows 10 universal app with feature parity, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been meaning to try TouchMe Gesture Studio so it's nice to hear that works. I think that may be the near-term solution.

Exact same problem as the OP. I've been searching the forums for a solution, or at least a hint as to when a solution might be coming. Would like to see this receive some attention  -- in my opinion there are too many Windows touch machines out there to justify ignoring such a widespread problem. 

• Level 5*

The Windows desktop version has had a hard time keeping up with the times lately due to old code. Hopefully a 6.0 version is on the horizon with some major improvements.

In the mean time, my best suggestion is that you install an app from the Windows store called TouchMe Gesture Studio. It allows you to customize touch gestures in Windows 8-10 very easily, and it's the most important app for a Windows touch device in my opinion. Just set 2 finger up/down gesture to scrolling and you can scroll the evernote notebook list and note window as you would scroll on a touch pad.

Archived