I am not at all tech savvy and I am having a syncing problem because one of my notes or notebooks is empty. I can’t find the empty note so syncing error pops up every few seconds please help!.

Attached is a copy of partial error message

2015-01-10 13:12:07.803 [lvl=2] -[EVEAppDelegate showSyncErrorAlert] Displaying sync error alert over EVESettingsViewController

2015-01-10 13:12:07.804 [lvl=3] -[ENAccountContext syncEngineDidFailWithErrors:] NSConcreteNotification 0x1c035cf0 {name = ENSyncEngineDidFailWithErrorsNotification; object = <ENSyncEngine: 0x15dc7140>; userInfo = {
    errors =     (
        "Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 \"The content is invalid.\" UserInfo=0x17dbbd40 {NSLocalizedFailureReason=Could not sync note \U2018Landscape\U2019., NSLocalizedDescription=The content is invalid., localObjectID=0x17d93970 <x-coredata://FFDFB070-717B-4105-B22C-CBACE5F330CC/ENNote/p3>, underlyingError=EDAMUserException(errorCode:2,parameter:\"Note.content\")}"
    );
}}
2015-01-10 13:12:07.805 [lvl=2] -[ENAccountContext syncEngineDidStop:] 
2015-01-10 13:12:07.806 [lvl=2] -[ENCacheManager startWithBackground:] self=<ENCacheManager: 0x15d20ae0>

• Level 5*

The error seems to be saying that it can't sync one specific note,  which usually means a recent or very large note.  If you can identify which note that might be,  try creating a Local (unsynced) Notebook and move any possible note candidates there and retry syncing...

(Create local notebook - just create a new notebook and select Local from the options you see...)

Just in case you are reading this discussion forum and are suffering Evernote Sync problems yourself, please be aware that there are a number of other discussion forums dealing with the same problem.

Could I suggest that we all register collective displeasure at the apparent lack of support from Evernote on a single discussion forum? The one that seems the most active can be found at:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79932-evernote-for-windows-5816061-sync-bug/#entry338437

Look forward to seeing you there!

• Level 5

@FerociousFeline, this is the mac forum and you linked to a Windows bug. 

@Julez1323, it looks like your note "Landscape" has invalid content. Try simplifying the formatting or deleting it and removing it from the trash if that doesn't help.

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting the topic....

I keep getting an error that says "Could not sync {xyz] note. The content is invalid." I've moved the note to a local-only notebook, but the error continues to appear. 

I've also checked the trash for any duplicates or partial versions. One was found, then permanently deleted. Still...the error appears.

Did a quit, then relaunch of EN. More repeats of the error.

Thus my confusion. 

If the only copy of a note is in a local non-syncing notebook, how can it repeatedly trigger a sync error message? 

(FYI: It's an extremely valuable 20.2mb note that includes bold type, colored type, web links. and photos, so removing formatting creates a serious problem.)

post-87072-0-17921700-1450119741_thumb.p

• Level 5*

Hi.  Try creating a new note and copying the content of the current note over,  or export the original to an ENEX file and re-import it.  The 'invalid content' may be in a part of the note formatting which is not displayed,  the copying or exporting process should remove it.

Hi.  Try creating a new note and copying the content of the current note over,  or export the original to an ENEX file and re-import it.  The 'invalid content' may be in a part of the note formatting which is not displayed,  the copying or exporting process should remove it.

Tried that, and then some.

Export/import didn't work. Additionally, the original kept reappearing, even though it had been permanently erased from the Trash. Finally tried copying it, piece by piece, into a brand new note, then deleting the transferred section from the original...ran sync...waited for the new note to clear (while the old ENEX import continued to trigger errors).

A couple of hours later, I finally have the new note finished, and have deleted, then permanently erased the original. Hopefully, this will "stick."

• Level 5*
On 12/15/2015 at 2:33 PM, PaperQueen said:

A couple of hours later, I finally have the new note finished, and have deleted, then permanently erased the original. Hopefully, this will "stick."

Sounds like the makings for a new book:  "The Note That Wouldn't Go Away!"  :D

Sorry, I always try to find a bit of humor at times like this.  Hope your issue is resolved.  If not, next step, the sledge hammer!  ;)
(just kidding!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

One trick that worked with another issue - try creating a new Local Notebook and move any troublesome notes there;  at the very least you'll be able to sync your other notes,  and going into an unconnected notebook might break any external links that are preventing a note's removal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks JWT!

I had been wrestling with this problem for days. A single note kept getting the 'Invalid Content' error message. I did all the things above without success .... but then, I went through the note and found a single smiley face emoji. I deleted it and bingo ... it synced.

How can one smiley face cause so much pain and frustration?

• Level 5*
On 2/19/2016 at 7:29 PM, JWT said:

so I tried to remove the first "foreign" stuff - an emoji, and it worked!

6 hours ago, Miles G said:

I went through the note and found a single smiley face emoji. I deleted it and bingo ... it synced.

Use of emoji should not prevent sync.  Please submit a bug report.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, ccyeh0901 said:

I have the same bug, too.   popping up the invalid content error message when pasting content from browser always cause this error.

Hi. After a couple of years and numerous updates I wouldn't think it's the same bug.  Can you give us a little more detail on OS, browser and pasted content?

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, ccyeh0901 said:

I have the same bug, too.   popping up the invalid content error message when pasting content from browser always cause this error.

I haven't experienced this bug but the solution remains the same.  Get rid of the note causing the error

Delete the note, then remove it from the Trash

As per @gazumped and @JMichaelTX, there can be follow up if you provide more info on the platform, browser, web site and a sample note  file

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I haven't experienced this bug but the solution remains the same.  Get rid of the note causing the error

Delete the note, then remove it from the Trash

@ccyeh0901, before you delete the problem Note, export it to ENEX, and submit a bug report to Evernote, with the ENEX file (zip first) attached.

@gazumped  Here is the bug note which I saved as @JMichaelTX instructed... I always use mouse the select content which I want and use cmd + ctrl + V to paste to Evernote, but always got "Sync Error" (Cound not sync note 'Untitled'.  The content is invalid.) ,  just don't know why,  because it naver happen days before, and now it did every time I copy content from safari browser on macbook pro, no matter I deleted Evernote and reinstall it again and again...

Thanks 

bug.enex.zip

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ccyeh0901 said:

I always use mouse the select content which I want and use cmd + ctrl + V to paste to Evernote, but always got "Sync Error" (Cound not sync note 'Untitled'.  The content is invalid.) ,  just don't know why,  because it naver happen days before, and now it did every time I copy content from safari browser on macbook pro, no matter I deleted Evernote and reinstall it again and again...

You're using the Paste to Evernote shortcut
without actually doing a Copy??

This should be a 3 step process

1. Use mouse to select data
  2. Copy (cmd + C)
  3. Paste to Evernote

What happens when you Copy the before doing the paste

• Level 5*

I always use mouse the select content which I want and use cmd + ctrl + V to paste to Evernote

If you are using the Evernote global hotkey to create a note from the clipboard, then you would need to do a COPY after you have selected the text/image.

Here is the bug note which I saved as @JMichaelTX instructed...

Thanks, but that was just a suggestion.  :)

IAC, it is best to submit a bug report using this link:   Submit Support Ticket    
and attache the ENEX file to that ticket.

Archived