Toolbar customization?

Is it possible to customize the Evernote toolbar on Mac OS? I'd like to have the search bar visible and available while the main window is at its minimum width (I work on a 13" Macbook and often need multiple Evernote notes open at the same time).

Currently, at the minimum width, the search bar is cut out of the toolbar. Somewhat annoyingly, the "+New Chat" button remains, even though I never use the chat. It would be nice if I could reorganize the toolbar so that the chat button is the furthest to the right and then when I need to scale my window down to the minimum width, the chat button would disappear but my search bar would remain visible.

Screenshots attached.

post-240428-0-02721000-1418079593_thumb.

post-240428-0-73720100-1418079591_thumb.

In a word - no, you can't customize the toolbar.

Don't ask me why - it's a pet peeve of mine. Given that "Configure Toolbar" is pretty much an Apple standard in almost every single app from all companies, I fail to see why Evernote don't make the toolbar customizable.

Personally, I would like to get rid of the "New Chat" button that I will never use, and put buttons on the toolbar for "Email Note" and one for "Print Note". And move the search bar as you suggest.

But we can't......

Nope - they just impose their design on their users. And while they claim to be following Apple's guidelines in terms of the UI (for Yosemite, even though there are far more people NOT on Yosemite), they continue to ignore the "Configure Toolbar" function which is pretty much a standard Apple feature across all Apple's own apps and almost every other one as well.

Strange - a bit arrogant, but strange.

And frustrating

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was finally added in the newest version, 6.0.7. Update and customize away. Sweet!

When you open a note, that particular toolbar you still can't change. I'd really like the "Forward" "Back" buttons in that window - for some reason they exist in the main Evernote window, but not the dedicated note window.

• 6 months later...

I would also like to customise the individual notes toolbar - in particular I want to add "Strikethrough" as one of the buttons as I tend to use it a lot- WAY more than highlight which is displayed... I can't find any way to add "strikethrough" as one of the formatting options.

• 1 month later...

I would also like to customise the individual notes toolbar - in particular I want to add "Strikethrough" as one of the buttons as I tend to use it a lot- WAY more than highlight which is displayed... I can't find any way to add "strikethrough" as one of the formatting options.

Same here. Strikethrough would be cool in the Toolbar. Although there is a shortcut [ctrl + cmd + k].

Some customizability would be awesome for hardcore-users like us! ;)  

• 2 months later...

I'll just add my voice to the annoyance expressed here. I'd like to customize the toolbar to get rid of the "new chat" button, which I never use, to ensure that the search box remains visible when the window is narrow. Why have a customize function when you can't seem to get rid of anything you don't want? What DOES the "customize toolbar" function allow you to do?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, carolynraemiller said:

What DOES the "customize toolbar" function allow you to do?

I used it to remove the new chat button

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, carolynraemiller said:

Please tell me how! I can't drag it out or use the delete button to get rid of it!

Right clicking on the tool bar gives me the customize menu as per the screenshot below
I can drag items into or out of the toolbar56d74386f1b50_ScreenShot2016-03-02at11.4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2016 at 10:13 AM, barryrowell said:

Strikethrough! I use it all the time and right-clicking is a annoying... even more annoying, I see it as an option on the toolbar here! Would love this feature in the software...

Hi there @barryrowell! I certainly understand wanting a strikethrough option in the toolbar, I use strikethroughs a lot myself. While there is not currently an option to add it to the toolbar, you can use the Ctrl ⌘ K keyboard command to insert a strikethrough in the EN editor.

You can find a complete list of all of the available keyboard shortcuts in Evernote here: 

What are the keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Mac?

With respect to adding this to the toolbar, I highly recommend posting this as a feature request in our Product Feedback Thread so you and other user's can vote on it and our product team can gauge how many of our user's are requesting this. 

I hope that helps. Cheers!

Archived