Conflicting changes

I am finding that I am getting conflicting changes even when only in Evernote on my desktop, and not sharing the notebook. Anyone have any idea why a conflict would occur in such situations? Seems pretty bizarre to conflict with myself!

Thanks

• Level 5*

How are you editing Evernote - from the desktop client,  or through a browser?  It's possible that if there is any difficulty in syncing a full set of changes you get 'duplicate' notes containing slightly different change times which confuses the issue.

• Level 5*

Yeah - I've had a few conflicting changes issues when (forinstance) clipping an online booking to a note and setting up a reminder for the date of the event.  Something involving several changes to content.  Don't know why the conflicts - it was never  that much of a problem;  I just fixed the issue as soon as I noticed it - usually by deleting one of the notes.  If you are being badly affected by this I'd suggest a support ticket (see below).

• Level 5*

I am finding that I am getting conflicting changes even when only in Evernote on my desktop, and not sharing the notebook. Anyone have any idea why a conflict would occur in such situations? Seems pretty bizarre to conflict with myself!

Thanks

I am convinced it is the new enhanced conflict resolution logic. I get issues all of the time now, and never did until a month ago. I have an open ticket.

• Level 5

Yup, I have seen a big increase in conflicting notes.

It seems to happen when merging notes that were annotated using Evernote. 

Over the first 5+ years using Evernote, I think I might have seen one.

Over the past couple weeks, I've seen at least 6. 

• Level 5*

Yup. File a ticket if you haven't already.

• Level 5

Yup. File a ticket if you haven't already.

To be totally frank, I have grown tired of filing so many support tickets. 

I feel like an unpaid Evernote Quality Control Engineer.

I was a bit naive to fall once again for another "coming soon" Phil Libin promise.
  • Level 5*

I hear where you are coming from. I had an error pop up on my iPhone EN build this morning, and I hit the "submit a ticket" option to give them the information. the response was "delete and reinstall"

I had to restrain my answer quite a bit, and no, I did not delete and reinstall. That is not a fix. :wacko:

• Level 5

I hear where you are coming from. I had an error pop up on my iPhone EN build this morning, and I hit the "submit a ticket" option to give them the information. the response was "delete and reinstall"

I had to restrain my answer quite a bit, and no, I did not delete and reinstall. That is not a fix. :wacko:

Ah yes, I have done the "Evernote Delete/Reinstall Dance" many times, followed by the 4+ hour download resync. 

I still use a complex relational database program called GoldMine with thousands of notes.

Over the past 16 years of daily use, not once did Goldmine ask me to perform a Delete & Reinstall.

Evernote started out as such a great program. Sigh.

• Level 5*

Ah yes, I have done the "Evernote Delete/Reinstall Dance" many times, followed by the 4+ hour download resync. 

I still use a complex relational database program called GoldMine with thousands of notes.

Over the past 16 years of daily use, not once did Goldmine ask me to perform a Delete & Reinstall.

Evernote started out as such a great program. Sigh.

With over 22,000 notes and a largish (1.5GB) offline folder sync for key notebooks, my timeline isn't too terribly different from yours.

I still think EN is a great program, but has lost its way in some key areas, with abandoning the power user being the one that shines brightest for me. The UI look of En5 is 100% about coolness and nothing about functionality. After a year, the shortcut toolbar is finally back where it goes, on top where it is 100% visible 100% of the time. The note subject being removed as a separate field and can now scroll out of view is still utterly frustrating. The skinny scroll bars that are tedious to grab with a mouse, the half-implementation of reminders, where they are impossible to see in List view, no way to see reminders as a data colulmn, search terms for reminders that are flaky at best, and worst of all, reminder alerts that can fire off, vanish from the screen within 10 seconds, never to be seen again!

And don't get me started on the business side. Commingling of tags with personal, inabilty to rename notebooks site-wide, etc. Lots and lots of room for improvement on features that have been broken since launch in late 2012.

But I still like the app and service, it just has some very VERY rough edges that are not getting any attention. The shiny pearls are just getting more polish, and that isn't helping me get my work done.

• Level 5*

I can sympathise with all the frustrations - I'm currently fighting two laptops that seem to take it in turns to throw different glitches at me on a daily basis and I've become more than a little terse with perfectly innocent support staff of various software houses as I try to actually get some work done.  Bottom line however is: either we report faults or they won't ever get fixed...

• Level 5*

FWIW - for those battling the conflict resolution issue, Support offered to roll me back to 5.2.x, which doesn't have the new conflict creation resolution logic. I chose to stick with it because the toolbar across the top is just too awesome. I just sync now before cleaning up my @Inbox notebook to ensure everything is up to snuff. They are close to identifying the issue too - someone had repeatable steps so that is a good sign. But I don't know if the next EXE drop is in 24hrs or 2 weeks. I doubt they do either at this stage.

• 6 months later...

Me, too. Lots more conflicting modifications than ever before, and I'm a long-time user. The system for resolving conflicts is also a HUGE problem. Oh... there is NO system for resolving conflicts. Pasting my conflicted note into my note (sometimes multiple times) gives me no tools for integrating conflicting changes. This is a long-standing problem I've been asking EN to look at for YEARS. Evernote, when there's a conflict, put the conflicting info TOGETHER side-by-side, line-by-line (highlighted, or with a line through) so I can see the conflicting info and choose to keep or delete. MS Word has a system to track changes. Notespark had a great system for resolving conflicts. Evernote's system (just pasting whole notes in on top of their former versions) is all but useless. Terribly frustrating and inelegant. Not to mention that unless you look for conflicts you don't even know you have them. Please fix this, Evernote.

Evernote's focus has shifted to the Business user. Workaround to get your issue on their radar screen & probably solved: temporarily upgrade to Business (1, 2 ... months) & downgrade after resolution.

Given the fact that people are having issues accessing their personal notes after downgrading from business and that EB is $10 per month, I'd say this is a really bad idea. Instead, upgrade to premium, which is $5 per month and no issues accessing notes when downgrading to free.

But as you have mentioned yourself in previous posts, support with a premium account is bad, which is why you are going to leave Evernote. And there is no evidence that downgrading from Premium will not result in the issue recurring.

By the way, don't be shy to share your brilliant suggestions with the forum upfront instead of waiting to present them when you see an "opportunity" to try to destroy someone's reputation in the eyes of others.

Evernote's focus has shifted to the Business user. Workaround to get your issue on their radar screen & probably solved: temporarily upgrade to Business (1, 2 ... months) & downgrade after resolution.

Given the fact that people are having issues accessing their personal notes after downgrading from business and that EB is $10 per month, I'd say this is a really bad idea. Instead, upgrade to premium, which is $5 per month and no issues accessing notes when downgrading to free.

But as you have mentioned yourself in previous posts, support with a premium account is bad, which is why you are going to leave Evernote. And there is no evidence that downgrading from Premium will not result in the issue recurring.

I have seen nothing to indicate support for EB is any better than premium. Support seems to be poor, no matter what.

In either case (EB or premium) there is no evidence that the problem will not reoccur, so I don't know why you think EB is better, in this respect.

And, as I said, there is definitely evidence that people have issues when downgrading from EB to free, while downgrading from premium has none.

There is no evidence for the downgrade problem from the posts above, you just make that statement now.

It is remarkable that you only come up with a solution now, when this has been an open issue since June, probably for ulterior motives as stated in #18.

I have seen nothing to indicate support for EB is any better than premium. Support seems to be poor, no matter what.

In either case (EB or premium) there is no evidence that the problem will not reoccur, so I don't know why you think EB is better, in this respect.

And, as I said, there is definitely evidence that people have issues when downgrading from EB to free, while downgrading from premium has none.

There is no evidence for the downgrade problem from the posts above,

Perhaps you should not limit your view to a single thread.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42939-converting-back-to-personal-account/

Additionally, there is more work to convert from personal to EB:  (Not in this thread, but if you don't limit yourself to this thread & use the search, you can easily find the threads.)

you just make that statement now.

It is remarkable that you only come up with a solution now, when this has been an open issue since June, probably for ulterior motives as stated in #18.

I only just contributed b/c there is a better option than what you offered.  I don't know why anyone would want to pay $10 and jump through a lot of hoops to go EB & then jump through more hoops to convert back to free, when all they'd need to do is pay $5. 

I'm not interested in debating this with you any further.  It's up to the user to decide how they may want to go. 

By the way, don't be shy to share your brilliant suggestions with the forum upfront instead of waiting to present them when you see an "opportunity" to try to destroy someone's reputation in the eyes of others.

FYI, I don't spend as much time on this board as I used to.  It's not a requirement. 

But seriously..."destroying someone's reputation in the eyes of others"???  An unknown user name on a message board???  It seems you object to me posing a better option than the one you posted & I don't know why anyone would object to that.

You did not offer your better solution earlier on, why let this thread go on for months without your superior contribution??

You know very well that my reference to destroying reputation is based on our previous altercation that you wanted to win no matter what.

In any case, let's not carry on here. Just remember, if you keep crossing me like this the stakes will be upped as I will lose my patience. Just get rid of your frustrations elsewhere. Goodbye.

FYI, I don't spend as much time on this board as I used to.  It's not a requirement. 

But seriously..."destroying someone's reputation in the eyes of others"???  An unknown user name on a message board???  It seems you object to me posing a better option than the one you posted & I don't know why anyone would object to that.

You did not offer your better solution earlier on, why let this thread go on for months without your superior contribution??

You know very well that my reference to destroying reputation is based on our previous altercation that you wanted to win no matter what.

In any case, let's not carry on here. Just remember, if you keep crossing me like this the stakes will be upped as I will lose my patience. Just get rid of your frustrations elsewhere. Goodbye.

Oh please. 

I am not "crossing you".  As much as you want to make it personal, it is not.  You offered a solution & there was a better one.  Sorry, but I have better things to do than read every thread here & post on them.

Stakes will be upped???  There are no "stakes" here.  It's a message board.  You really do need to get a grip.

Carry on.

(And it's probably best to get back on topic rather than continue to discuss your opinion of me.  As has been said before, feel free to use the 'report' button (on each & every post) if you feel someone has violated the forum code of conduct.)

• Level 5*

@DutchPete, @BnF,

If the point of either of these two solutions is to get an issue on the EN radar screen, perhaps it is a tempest in a teapot.  It seems extremely difficult from a user perspective to get anything on EN's radar screen.  So avoid any of the grief and stick status quo, with a modification request trouble ticket I suppose  Good luck there.

To be clear, no malicious thought or flaming to either of you from me in this post.

• 1 month later...

I get conflicting notes now everyday. I've been reading the posts  on this conflicts issue and they go back to 2012. When is this issue going to be resolve? I was thinking of upgrading to Premium but this conflicts are changing my mind. The EN team has no solution. Come on EN, you will loose clients if this is not fixed.

• Level 5*

Conflicts occur when Evernote isn't sure which version(s) of a note are the latest edition.  That's usually due to having the app open on more than one client,  bad internet connections,  or more than one person editing notes at the same time.  Difficult to see how Evernote can 'fix' this on any general basis.  If you're having problems and have eliminated all the usual suspects you could file a support request if you upgrade;  otherwise if you can give us a bit more detail of how and when this happens,  maybe the forum can give you some suggestions.

• Level 5*

Thanks

Happened all of the time with me.

I simply disabled background sync in Settings. That fixed it.

• Level 5*

Thanks

Ed, this seems counter-intuitive to me.  Can you please explain why turning off background sync would fix sync issues?

My expectation is that it should help prevent sync issues, since it is making sure the PC you are on is always in sync.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Thanks

Ed, this seems counter-intuitive to me.  Can you please explain why turning off background sync would fix sync issues?

My expectation is that it should help prevent sync issues, since it is making sure the PC you are on is always in sync.

Thanks.

Because I honestly think the windows client would background sync it while I was typing and it would get out of sync with itself. I could be tying a long note (several sentences) and I'd almost always get a conflict folder created, and it was always after that little bar zipped across the note header while I was typing. Turned off background sync and the issue went away.

They need to only background sync while you are NOT actively working on the note, which is how it works on iOS. 

• Level 5*

Because I honestly think the windows client would background sync it while I was typing and it would get out of sync with itself. I could be tying a long note (several sentences) and I'd almost always get a conflict folder created, and it was always after that little bar zipped across the note header while I was typing. Turned off background sync and the issue went away.

They need to only background sync while you are NOT actively working on the note, which is how it works on iOS. 

Lots of apps have done autosaves without issues for years while we type in a open document.  If Evernote is using a proper time code, it should NOT ever become out of sync with itself, i.e. between the active EN Win client and the Evernote Cloud.

It sounds like a BUG to me if turning off background sync fixed the issue.

• Level 5*

Lots of apps have done autosaves without issues for years while we type in a open document.  If Evernote is using a proper time code, it should NOT ever become out of sync with itself, i.e. between the active EN Win client and the Evernote Cloud.

It sounds like a BUG to me if turning off background sync fixed the issue.

I opened a support ticket on it a long time ago but they kept telling me it must be one of my other devices doing it, even if I put both in airplane mode. At some point you just get tired of telling someone "yes, the thing is plugged in" and you just do a workaround. So that is what I did. Turned off background sync and I've been happy ever since.

It is really sad, but I go out of my way to contact EN support because the frontline support just makes me cringe with their responses. Once I get to a higher level, those people are awesome. But front line, it is just a waste of time for me.

I just had an issue where the web client note count was out of whack and my 2 Windows PCs and 6 iOS clients (3 devices, all with the App store version and beta version) were all in sync. It had been like this for a few months and was getting worse so I put in a ticket. They asked for my Windows PC log, which I sent. Then they asked for all of the iOS logs, none if which had more than a few days logged. I just told them to close the ticket. It is just frustrating.

Archived